Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

My passport is due to expire in October this year.

Do I need to apply for a new passport book or can I apply for a passport card instead?

Is it correct that the card issued would only be valid until October then? i.e. I can't get a 5 year passport card unless I have a book with at least 5 years validity?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes a Passport card will expire the same date your passport does or in 5 years whichever is sooner. Passport card is also only valid in EU/EEA and Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your passport book needs to have at least 3 months remaining before you can apply for a card and as AD said above, the card will have the same expiration date (because there's less than 5 years on your book) so it would be a complete waste of time and money to apply for a card at this stage.

You are not allowed to have a current card with an expired book, I think that's what you're thinking of in relation to Nov/Dec 2017.

Renew the book in October or sooner and then apply for a card if you think it would be useful - it definitely is if you fly Ryanair to the UK and other EU destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What is the turnaround time for passport cards to be issued?
    Would two working weeks be sufficient?

Edit: Actually never mind. From reading back over this thread it seems quite a few people got the passport card within a few days so two weeks looks to be plenty of time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Aisling2013

Hey.. just received my passport today, 5 days before the estimated date so that's good :) but the photo is extremely faint on it? You'd have to squint to compare the photo to me.. is this normal? I compared it to my boyfriends passport which was issued 8 years ago and it's completely different but I'm not sure did they change the way the photo is printed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hey.. just received my passport today, 5 days before the estimated date so that's good :) but the photo is extremely faint on it? You'd have to squint to compare the photo to me.. is this normal? I compared it to my boyfriends passport which was issued 8 years ago and it's completely different but I'm not sure did they change the way the photo is printed?

You'd need to take it in, or post it in, to Customer Services in which ever Passport Office issued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aisling2013

fxotoole wrote: »
    You'd need to take it in, or post it in, to Customer Services in which ever Passport Office issued it.

Oh really :( would they have sent it out to me if it was too faint though? I'm going to Spain on the 24th, could I Risk it or would they definitely not accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Oh really :( would they have sent it out to me if it was too faint though? I'm going to Spain on the 24th, could I Risk it or would they definitely not accept it?

Hard to say without seeing it. You'd be best to talk directly to the Passport Office on Twitter/online Chat service for the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Wouldn't risk the potential hassle and stress of getting another passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I'm just wondering has anyone got a passport recently and how long did it take to come back ?
    I was thinking about getting the passport card maybe that would be quicker as its only used in the EU but cant be sure. if anyone has any info TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I'm just wondering has anyone got a passport recently and how long did it take to come back ?
    I was thinking about getting the passport card maybe that would be quicker as its only used in the EU but cant be sure. if anyone has any info TIA.

My partner lost her passport. Applied for both book and card online(€105) 28th June, book arrived two days ago 5th July(1 week) and card arrived yesterday 6th July(1 week, 1 day).

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

I got mine renewed a few weeks ago. Really quick.

If it's just a renewal with no changes of details from your previous, you can do it all online. Upload a recent photo, fill in the form and make the payment.

Comes back with a due date of a few weeks. But I got the passport in the post after less than a week ... applied on a Sunday, arrived the next Friday.

If it's a new application, but details have changed, will probably take the 6 weeks or so, but can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Sent mine away last week on Wednesday, used passport express at the post office, supposed to be 15 working days which is like 3 weeks at least. I'll keep you posted.

You can't get the passport card without a valid passport that has at least 30 days validity left but your passport card will expire when your passport expires.

I applied for the card online on Monday of this week and had it in my hand on Wednesday.
    Great service! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NineEggs

Hi,

I have been trying to apply for a new passport through the Passport Online application with the DFA. Thought it would be really handy.

I uploaded a photo that was originally accepted online. Paid for the passport (€80). Then I get an email telling me my photo was rejected. There was glare on my glasses (fair enough, I didn't notice it when I uploaded it). I now have 1 week to upload a new photo.

So I go through another option they list on the website. I went to a Photo-Me photo booth to get a digital passport photo. This gives me a code to upload a photo from that. Again, photo is rejected. This time some crap about the background. The technical services with Photo-Me can't see any reason why it was rejected, neither do I. Luckily they have said they will refund me.

Now its the weekend. My time to get a new photo is running out. I can try another Photo-Me place or I can chance my arm with trying to get a digital photo from a pharmacy or somewhere. Has anyone had any luck with the online application? If my week runs out, what are my options? Will the passport office screw me over with the €80 I've already paid?

Oh also, on top of this, the phone number for the passport office is unavailable and they don't seem to be answering the email enquiries I've sent them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hey!

I'm bound to go abroad next week and my passport expires right before I return to Ireland. (passport is not Irish, but European, I'm travelling to Italy)

I know this is a silly question with an obvious answer, but would I have trouble at the airport? I can get a new passport easily, but would be great if I could avoid paying for it at the moment.

I keep hearing different things: you can't exit country with passport that is expiring in 3 months, you can arrive into a country with an expired passport etc.

Never arrived at this situation before, should I get a new passport to play it safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it expires before you return you will not be allowed board the plane back as airline will be fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

If it expires before you return you will not be allowed board the plane back as airline will be fined.

Alright, looks like it's time to get a new passport.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'd probably just try another Photo-Me place and try it again. Probably the quickest way.
    Have you tried the Passport Office's twitter feed to place your enquiries? Members on the main Passport queries thread have mentioned they're reasonably quick to respond on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

contact the online passport crowd via the online form .
    They do reply , just might take a day.

Thanks guys. I tried another photo booth. This one seemed to give me a photo that was good enough for the initial check upon uploading. However I'm still waiting to see if will be accepted for the application.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm also having some trouble with this, and I'm abroad so I can't try some of the options. I was wondering if anyone has actually had success with uploading their own photo? Everything I've had taken has been rejected so far so it would be nice to know if it is actually possible before I spend anymore time on it

So I finally got a reply to an email. My passport photo was successfully uploaded and the application is being processed. Should have my passport sent out to me in a few days or so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I just tried to upload their own 'sample photo' and it also got rejected -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emantrsu

Hi all,

Dont want to hijack any other threads.

Issues with online passport picture, accepted then rejected but only found out today and travelling Friday 21st...

Just wondering if anyone has used the online application lately and how long before you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Hi. I used the online application service at the start of June. Had the passport delivered within 1 week with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emantrsu

Great, thank you!

It says current turnaround is 10 days which would be the date I travel. Raging that I didnt get a notification about the photo until today but anyway...

Has anyone here ordered one in the last 2 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

My same reply on another thread.
    My partner lost her passport. Applied for both book and card online(€105) 28th June, book arrived two days ago 5th July(1 week) and card arrived yesterday 6th July(1 week, 1 day).

As mentioned, this is a LOST passport. So most likely would've had to go through more security protocol, whatever else. But still got into our hands quickly enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement