Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NineEggs

I just tried to upload their own 'sample photo' and it also got rejected -_-

Yeah I don't know what exactly they're looking for when you upload the photo. My 1st photo was taken on my phone and was originally accepted. It was only after I uploaded it that I was emailed about glare on my glasses. My second photo was just outright rejected due to something with the background. Wouldn't even upload and I had tried messing with the contrast/brightness. But the third photo worked. To look at, there wasn't much difference between 2nd and 3rd. Just seems a bit pedantic to me.

I don't think I would have had the same issues if I just sent in a paper application. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an online option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm also having some trouble with this, and I'm abroad so I can't try some of the options. I was wondering if anyone has actually had success with uploading their own photo? Everything I've had taken has been rejected so far so it would be nice to know if it is actually possible before I spend anymore time on it

I stood against a wall at home one evening and got my wife to take my photo with my phone, uploaded from the phone and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

NineEggs wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know what exactly they're looking for when you upload the photo. My 1st photo was taken on my phone and was originally accepted. It was only after I uploaded it that I was emailed about glare on my glasses. My second photo was just outright rejected due to something with the background. Wouldn't even upload and I had tried messing with the contrast/brightness. But the third photo worked. To look at, there wasn't much difference between 2nd and 3rd. Just seems a bit pedantic to me.

I don't think I would have had the same issues if I just sent in a paper application. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an online option though.

They're looking for uniform lighting, no shadows, face not at an angle and looking straight ahead, no glare on glasses, a white or cream wall behind your head that doesn't have any patterns, etc. A computer algorithm has to be able to identify a face in the photo and any issues that would throw off this algorithm would cause the photo to be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emantrsu

Thanks for replies!

Passport tracker says it's being printed so I suppose that's positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irelandbill

Hi,
    I am flying next Friday the 21st and applied for my passport online and for the last three day it just tells me on the tracker page 'PRINTING'. Anyone know if this is normal as their website says 2 days for this process and its been 3.
    Worried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Hi,
    I am flying next Friday the 21st and applied for my passport online and for the last three day it just tells me on the tracker page 'PRINTING'. Anyone know if this is normal as their website says 2 days for this process and its been 3.
    Worried

My partner still had printing or processing or something close to those lines when she had already received the card which is a day after receiving the passport book itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

How is a website updating wasting your 'tax money'?

And how is it wasting time when maybe, just maybe, they're actually putting that time that they were going to put into updating, into actually printing the passport out? :confused::confused:

well I did not mean a 'website' was wasting my time but the DFA sure are by 'wasting' my tax dollars on a website that doesn’t serve any real purpose if it is NOT accurate!!!!!!!! I work in the technology sector and it is useless to have a website that is not 'live' and accurate, especially one dedicated to 'customer service'. Just my two pence worth in a world of free speech' !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

well I did not mean a 'website' was wasting my time but the DFA sure are by 'wasting' my tax dollars on a website that doesn’t serve any real purpose if it is NOT accurate!!!!!!!! I work in the technology sector and it is useless to have a website that is not 'live' and accurate, especially one dedicated to 'customer service'. Just my two pence worth in a world of free speech' !!!!!!
    if you pay your tax in dollars then its of no issue to you whatsoever what the DFA do with tax euros of the people of the 26 counties.
    I'd hazzard a guess anyhow that the cost of the less labour intensive passport renewal with the new system is covering costs quote comfortably so not costing anyone tax money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well Mr. Techie, here's a tip. Avail of the free reminder service so that you don't leave your passport application to the last minute next time.

(Oh, and maybe get your keyboard checked out - one of the keys seems to be stuck).

• Advertisement

So some of yours were "printing" for a number of days?

Starting to panic now...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't take much heed to website, last year mine was at stage 2 from when I sent it in to when it arrived (6 weeks later!)

A waste of taxpayers money now is a push, I've heard some ridiculous definitions of that in the past, however this really takes the biscuit.

I sent them a DM on Twitter and they just replied saying they cant estimate how long it will take and to keep an eye over the next week. They should give some indication on how long the statuses stay as they are, as some of you have mentioned they're not accurate. That's not a great system!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

emantrsu wrote: »
    I sent them a DM on Twitter and they just replied saying they cant estimate how long it will take and to keep an eye over the next week. They should give some indication on how long the statuses stay as they are, as some of you have mentioned they're not accurate. That's not a great system!

Stupid - if they cant estimate how long then why are they estimating how long on the passport tracker?

I've gone past the 'estimated issue date'.......its like when you are waiting on Dublin bus, and the road sign tells you the bus should be here now.....and its not there......what do you do?

Completely agree.

If nothing else, they should make the estimated time way longer that actual estimated time.

Ryanair always says they flight will be an 1hr 20 mins. They arrive in 1hr, normal flight time, you are happy. They arrive in 1h15 mins, longer than normal flight time, you are happy.

This thing tells you passport should be issued today.....it hasn't been.....that just makes you worried there is a problem with the application. But who do you call to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Applied online yesterday, Sunday and today the status says printing.

Cloudio9, I applied online on the 11th and the status was 'printing' from the 12th untill the 17th and then it changed to 'dispatched'. I hope this helps as a lot of idiots here just sneer at a persons opinion on a system that clearly does not work as it would if it was in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cloudio9, I applied online on the 11th and the status was 'printing' from the 12th untill the 17th and then it changed to 'dispatched'. I hope this helps as a lot of idiots here just sneer at a persons opinion on a system that clearly does not work as it would if it was in the private sector.

Doesn't work? You applied for a passport and had it dispatched in under a week. And you're moaning about it?

You're talking through your arse, frankly.

Well actually no, the system is flawed. They dont update the status properly.

Mine says it's still printing yet I have it here in my hands.

Now, tell me how that's accurate?

Doesn't work? You applied for a passport and had it dispatched in under a week. And you're moaning about it?

You're talking through your arse, frankly.

The system is all over the place.

I applied on 23rd June. Was told I should have passport by 14th July. The tracker is telling me estimated issue date is 14th July.

Here I am on 18th July and the tracker is still telling me estimated issue date is 14th July. Nothing else on the website. Nothing in the post today.

I emailed them to find out where it is, or if there is a problem - no reply. I rang the number, they tell you to send them an email.

Great for some people if its a one week turnaround; it certainly hasn't been for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Passport Application ID: XXXXXXXXXXXX The estimated* issue date for your Passport is: 14/07/2017
    Last Updated: 18/07/2017 09:10
    Application received 23/06/2017

Estimated* issue date 14/07/2017

Today
    18/07/2017 Processing application

Your application is being processed

What twitter handle are people messaging? And is it a quick response or can it take a few hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

ollaetta wrote: »
    Long story short they don't hold spare or master keys and the only way they could open the car was to smash the window. They gave me a replacement car and the rest of the break went fine

Did you see them break the window? The cynic in me would say that they give you the replacement and then once you're gone, they get the spare key and sting you with an extra for the window replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Did you see them break the window? The cynic in me would say that they give you the replacement and then once you're gone, they get the spare key and sting you with an extra for the window replacement!

He must have seen them as his luggage was in the boot when he locked the keys inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

ifElseThen wrote: »

He must have seen them as his luggage was in the boot when he locked the keys inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    What twitter handle are people messaging? And is it a quick response or can it take a few hours?

@passportirl

Think they reply pretty quickly, but during office hours only

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SHAUNGAL1983

Hi I stupidly signed my child's passport after not fully reading additional instructions that accompanied it when I received it by post today. I contacted the DFA and they said I could either renew the passport or 'take a chance'. I travel in 3 weeks. Has anyone else 'taken a chance'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi I stupidly signed my child's passport after not fully reading additional instructions that accompanied it when I received it by post today. I contacted the DFA and they said I could either renew the passport or 'take a chance'. I travel in 3 weeks. Has anyone else 'taken a chance'?

Do a quick online renew? I wouldn't take the chance as they check the passports in detail now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SHAUNGAL1983

thanks but is it not true that you cannot renew child's passport online?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement