Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Trying to get my father passport renewed, out of date by three years. Can't be done online informed by passport office and has to be done by post.

Went to the guards to get photos signed only to be informed that they won't sign because his passport is out of date and they require a picture ID but he only has the passport and no driving license.

What can be done to sort this situation ou

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

jeanjolie wrote: »
    If your passport gets lost abroad, how long does it take to replace it?

While living abroad or while on a short trip? If while on a short trip, contact the nearest consulate about getting a one use travel permit to get you home. It's 10 years since I had to avail of this while in NY. Took about30 mins at consulate but I had prenotified and got all the documentation to them in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Send your father to the Garda station, I don't understand why they won't sign the photo. Just because it's expired doesn't mean that he has ceased to be the person named in the document.

And when you go to the Garda station to get the photos stamped, isn't it the case that everyone in that situation has an expired passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

coylemj wrote: »
    Send your father to the Garda station, I don't understand why they won't sign the photo. Just because it's expired doesn't mean that he has ceased to be the person named in the document.

And when you go to the Garda station to get the photos stamped, isn't it the case that everyone in that situation has an expired passport?
    Agree with your first point. On the second however, I think most people renew passports before the previous one expires.

But I'd be puzzled about why they wouldn't sign unless the OP's dad wasn't present when the photos were presented to be stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Was your Dad present? Can't see why the Garda would not sign the form in that case. He should as to see a different Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tv2013

Eponymous wrote: »
    Agree with your first point. On the second however, I think most people renew passports before the previous one expires.

But I'd be puzzled about why they wouldn't sign unless the OP's dad wasn't present when the photos were presented to be stamped.

He did go into them, they wanted valid in date photo id to verify it is him which he doesn't have except passport, they won't even except birth cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just pop in to a different garda station - that was a garda taking the rules a little too literal.

Garda just needs to be happy that the photograph is the person in front of him and the person is who he says.

A combination of something recently addressed to him and the expired licence is probably best.

Also maybe go on a quiet day :)

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Just pop in to a different garda station - that was a garda taking the rules a little too literal.

Went to Donnybrook GS one day as it was near work, copper said I had to go to my local station.

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »

There's enough panic posts on boards about last minute passport renewals to debunk that claim. My last passport expired in January, I renewed it in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Does he need a public service card to renew his passport now? I know there was something in the media about that in the last few weeks. Maybe this is what the garda meant?

Miaireland wrote: »
    Does he need a public service card to renew his passport now? I know there was something in the media about that in the last few weeks. Maybe this is what the garda meant?

It's required now for the driving licence renewal, don't think it's yet a requirement for the passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Went to Donnybrook GS one day as it was near work, copper said I had to go to my local station.

You can go to any garda station. The garda simply has to be satisfied that you are who you say you are.

Bringing old passport and a couple of other documents such as household bills should suffice.

Another option is to revisit the garda station as its rare that same garda will be on Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's required now for the driving licence renewal, don't think it's yet a requirement for the passport.

It's not required. I don't have one and renewed my licence without issue.

/OP, I'd say you met either a guard on a power trip or a rookie who was afraid to apply common sense. Just go back with your father and you should be ok.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You can go to any garda station. The garda simply has to be satisfied that you are who you say you are.

I pointed that out to the Garda on duty - that all he was required to do was to certify that I was the person named on the form and the person in the photos and I had other photo ID (including my current driving licence and recently expired passport) with me to verify my name and address but he refused to deal with me as I didn't live in the area.

It's not required. I don't have one and renewed my licence without issue.

+1 I was wrong, the public service card is now (since June 17) required to do the driver's theory test, it's not (yet) required for a licence renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Marcusm wrote: »
    While living abroad or while on a short trip? If while on a short trip, contact the nearest consulate about getting a one use travel permit to get you home. It's 10 years since I had to avail of this while in NY. Took about30 mins at consulate but I had prenotified and got all the documentation to them in advance.

Really 30 minutes, wow...that's fast.

But I suppose that's because you were in the United States. If we're talking about a short trip in Africa, what would the length of time be? Especially if someone was naturalised so they wouldn't have their citizenship certificate on hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

In regard to the passport cards, how long does it take to get them? I'll be travelling soon (month's time).

I already have a passport, am 19yrs old and it's valid until 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

In regard to the passport cards, how long does it take to get them? I'll be travelling soon (month's time).

can be with you within a few days from application. Its really quick anyhow.

btw, i presume you know that the card would only be valid until 2019, but if youre travelling extensively on the continent then it might still pay off as a backup to a bulky old style perishable paper book passport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I submitted my application at 5pm on Thursday and the postman delivered the card before 9am Monday. If your passport is lost, you have to report it as such. If it's only temporarily out of your possession it might not be a problem. You need the passport number, expiry date etc to get the passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Marcusm wrote: »
    I submitted my application at 5pm on Thursday and the postman delivered the card before 9am Monday. If your passport is lost, you have to report it as such. If it's only temporarily out of your possession it might not be a problem. You need the passport number, expiry date etc to get the passport card.

If your passport is lost, you really should be applying for a full passport, not a passport card. The passport card is not intended as a replacement for a lost passport.

Regarding your comment about a passport being "temporarily out of your possession", the Passport Office consider such passports as Lost, because you can't stand over whether or not that passport has been tampered with or used for identity fraud during the period of time that it was out of your possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Tv2013 wrote: »
    Trying to get my father passport renewed, out of date by three years. Can't be done online informed by passport office and has to be done by post.

according to the website you can renew online if passport is less than 5 years out fo date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Passport tracker says passport dispatched Friday , an post tracker says delivered Monday. I never got it! Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Passport tracker says passport dispatched Friday , an post tracker says delivered Monday. I never got it! Feck!

Sounds like an issue with an post, more than the passport office. Get on to your local sorting office, see if they have it. Check with your neighbours as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 VHF1

Does a passport delivery require a signature like registered post?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

VHF1 wrote: »
    Does a passport delivery require a signature like registered post?

No it is usually sent by standard post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

No it's not sent standard post as the delivery is recorded but no signature required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Cloudio9 wrote: »

No it's not sent standard post as the delivery is recorded but no signature required.

Indeed, Passport Express is a form of post in itself which is best described as somewhere between standard and registered post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement