Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    If your passport is lost, you really should be applying for a full passport, not a passport card. The passport card is not intended as a replacement for a lost passport.

Regarding your comment about a passport being "temporarily out of your possession", the Passport Office consider such passports as Lost, because you can't stand over whether or not that passport has been tampered with or used for identity fraud during the period of time that it was out of your possession.

Temporarily out of your possession might more usefully be interpreted as with an embassy to receive a visa or at my mother's house 200 miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

VHF1 wrote: »
    Does a passport delivery require a signature like registered post?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

fxotoole wrote: »
    No

It does if the passport is being delivered outside of Ireland

cdsb46 wrote: »
    It does if the passport is being delivered outside of Ireland

The poster didn't specify whether he was applying from abroad or not, so I assumed he wasn't.

• Advertisement

Does your signature have to be confined to the small line on page 3? What if you have a long name or you writing is not small?

I don't think it's a big deal if your signature goes outside the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd say most aren't signed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Hi folks,

Wonder if you can help?

I was abroad and returned back in Dublin last Friday. I'm dude to go on holidays next Saturday but I now cannot find my passport (only realised when going to check in today). I live in the North East.

I was looking at passport appointments and the earliest appointment is Thursday morning in Dublin. I'm thinking thats a bit tight for time so i've managed to get an appointment on Tuesday in Cork.

Do you think i'd get a new one before next Saturday? Or should i chance going up to the passport office in Dublin on Tuesday and seeing if i can get one issued?

I'm thinking to head to Cork for the appointment and hopefully collect it next Friday (hopefully they have it ready). Anyone used passport appointments before?

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

mada999 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Wonder if you can help?

I was abroad and returned back in Dublin last Friday. I'm dude to go on holidays next Saturday but I now cannot find my passport (only realised when going to check in today). I live in the North East.

I was looking at passport appointments and the earliest appointment is Thursday morning in Dublin. I'm thinking thats a bit tight for time so i've managed to get an appointment on Tuesday in Cork.

Do you think i'd get a new one before next Saturday? Or should i chance going up to the passport office in Dublin on Tuesday and seeing if i can get one issued?

I'm thinking to head to Cork for the appointment and hopefully collect it next Friday (hopefully they have it ready). Anyone used passport appointments before?

thanks,

If you can go to the appointment in Cork then you should have your passport by friday, they may even allow you to collect it in Dublin. Going to the Dublin office without an appointment will be pointless

cdsb46 wrote: »
    If you can go to the appointment in Cork then you should have your passport by friday, they may even allow you to collect it in Dublin. Going to the Dublin office without an appointment will be pointless

cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

They need a minimum of three days to turn around a passport and need proof of travel. It will also cost a bit more than your standard passport application.
    I had to use the service earlier this year. I landed in with my application on a Wednesday afternoon and they had my passport for me by Friday afternoon. Great service really. I had my old expired passport so not sure what you will need to present in terms of documentation.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    They need a minimum of three days to turn around a passport and need proof of travel. It will also cost a bit more than your standard passport application.
    I had to use the service earlier this year. I landed in with my application on a Wednesday afternoon and they had my passport for me by Friday afternoon. Great service really. I had my old expired passport so not sure what you will need to present in terms of documentation.

thanks, i'm having a mini heart attack here and i cant find my Birth cert either.

was on the dfa website and it says that i do not need to take my Birth cert if my previous passport was issued after 2005.

Text is below... am i reading it correctly or am i going insane?

You need to include these documents when you’re making your passport application. If your lost/stolen/damaged Passport was issued on or after 1 January 2005 and your new Passport will issue in the same name you are not required to submit the following documentation - Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, entitlement to Irish citizenship

link is below also

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ireland/born-in-ireland/adult-lost-stolen-damaged/anytime/between-3-and-10-working-days/

thanks, i'm having a mini heart attack here and i cant find my Birth cert either.

was on the dfa website and it says that i do not need to take my Birth cert if my previous passport was issued after 2005.

Text is below... am i reading it correctly or am i going insane?

You need to include these documents when you’re making your passport application. If your lost/stolen/damaged Passport was issued on or after 1 January 2005 and your new Passport will issue in the same name you are not required to submit the following documentation - Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, entitlement to Irish citizenship

link is below also

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/ireland/born-in-ireland/adult-lost-stolen-damaged/anytime/between-3-and-10-working-days/

You're reading it correctly. If your most recently issues passport was issued on or after 1st Jan 2005, they will be able to pull up your documentation on their system, so you don't need to provide it again. Provided that your name is exactly the same as last time around, you don't need to provide your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Quick question. Has anyone used their passport card to travel within the EU. Hitting Amsterdam on Monday for a few days. Flying into Schipol from Belfast. Irish passport card should be acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, the EU countries all know about it by now. That's pretty much the only use there for them - that and flying with Ryanair to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

While it is valid, if you want to get through airports quickly a passport is faster as it works the egates, passport card does not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

steppen wrote: »
    Quick question. Has anyone used their passport card to travel within the EU. Hitting Amsterdam on Monday for a few days. Flying into Schipol from Belfast. Irish passport card should be acceptable?
    Used mine flying out of Verona last month. It was the first time the check-in person had seen one but she had no issue with it. Also got delayed for a few minutes going through security as one of the security guards took the opportunity to show it to his colleague while pointing out the features of the card to her. They're clearly aware of it and while it's new (for us anyway) it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Will the passport card ever work with the e-gates? Its meant to have the same features as a normal passport isn't it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Whilst Border Control have no issue with Passport cards some of the Airlines still do.

I've had issues with a few of them at the gate when flying within Schengen.

Last time was in Barcelona and a Norwegian Airlines agent was saying I needed to provide valid identification as the only took Passports or ID Cards and she didn't know what a Passport card was.

I was waiting for around 20 minutes holding up one half of the boarding gate while she was ringing some people. She then asked me for my driving license, showed her that (It's a Dutch License) and she said that's no good I need to provide an Irish document to back it up.

Eventually she took a picture of my Passport Card and my Driving license on a phone (don't know if it was her personal phone) and told me to bring some proper ID next time. Told her it was proper ID and she said "Maybe it is somewhere else but not in Spain"

Complained to Norwegian and didn't hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Morning all.

Heading to the states in Nov, My passport is due to expire on Feb 2018, so ive renewed

Will there be an issue with my passport only being 2 months old when i go ?

I have a current in date ESTA on the old passport. I will need to apply for a new one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

dashoonage wrote: »
    Morning all.

Heading to the states in Nov, My passport is due to expire on Feb 2018, so ive renewed

technically there was no need to renew before you went

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Riskymove wrote: »
    technically there was no need to renew before you went

better safe than sorry standing at pre clearance :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

Passport card is a money racket, 35€ and only valid for 5 years wtf ? And don't get me started on the mandatory €9.50 an post tax for the real passport

Passport card is a money racket, 35€ and only valid for 5 years wtf ? And don't get me started on the mandatory €9.50 an post tax for the real passport

The Passport Card is optional. Don't get one if you don't think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Do keep up. You don't pay an Post to renew online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Trying to renew online and my photos keep getting rejected. It doesn't say what the problem is. So, what are you supposed to do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement