Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Taken with my own camera. I think it might be poor contrast with the background, but it would help if they tell you what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Tad concerned here, first time application here. Going away in 1st of October should I be worried? Have an appointment for application tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tobinjl91

Just wondering where I could pick up a passport cover in Dublin? Preferably one that looks like the outside of the Irish Passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Tobinjl91 wrote: »
    Just wondering where I could pick up a passport cover in Dublin? Preferably one that looks like the outside of the Irish Passport?

€2 shop or dealz usually have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If your in town the motor tax office have a machine selling them for 2 euro. Limited colours

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My son is working in Spain for the summer. Warned him before going his passport was due to expire and he promised to get one online. Never done it and now is due home earlier than he planned. Is it possible to get Emergency travel documents or are they only for lost or stolen passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Contact the Irish embassy in Spain. They should be able to issue him with a travel document. The fact he is returning to Ireland rather than traveling aboard should make it easier. He is not going to be turned away from an Irish airport if he is an Irish citzen. The embassy may just ring the departing and arriving airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Depends on the airline

• Advertisement

Thank you all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Suggest you get him to do all the arranging. Big boy trousers time. Let him learn he should have done it when there was time.

spurious wrote:
    Suggest you get him to do all the arranging. Big boy trousers time. Let him learn he should have done it when there was time.

Oh I have. Like talking to the wall at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Oh I have. Like talking to the wall at times

Hi problem so...nobody should ever let their passport expire when they need to travel.

Some airlines may accept a driving licence instead of a passport but immigration might demand to see a passport at the spanish end.

Looks like he'll have to get a new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omagh776

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Hi problem so...nobody should ever let their passport expire when they need to travel.

Some airlines may accept a driving licence instead of a passport but immigration might demand to see a passport at the spanish end.

Looks like he'll have to get a new passport.

Nope, not from Schengen.

Even within the Schengen zone all Airlines require and ID Card or Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hanfam11

Hi, I'm planning a week's holiday in England and would love to bring my 2 dogs along. I've been trying to look up what I need and how much it's going to cost to get them pet passports but the information doesn't seem to be very clear and it's confusing me more than anything! It looks like it possibly be very expensive so I'm just wondering if anyone knows exactly what I will need and how much to prepare for it costing? So my dogs are both microchipped, neutered, vaccinations are up to date. What else will I need? Do they need to get the rabbies vaccine and how much is this likely to cost, also I've seen this needs to be done 21 days before travelling, is there an upward limit on this or could I get it done 2 or 3 months before travelling? And do I need to take them to a vet while away for a tapeworm treatment to be allowed bring them back into Ireland? Any info appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Simple answer: yes, the rules require you to have passports for each dog - https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/takingyourpetabroad/

The protocol is: microchip (done) -> rabies injection -> receive passport from the vet.

There's a 21-day "waiting period" from the first rabies injection before the passport is valid for travel, but it remains valid for three years from the date of that same injection. As long as you get the rabies boosters done on time, there's no waiting period ever again.

If the dogs are travelling between the UK and Ireland (and only between those two countries) then they don't need to have a tapeworm treatment.

Those are the rules. Whether they're enforced at the ports is an entirely different matter, and if you hear enough people tell you they're not, then you can always decide to chance it ...

As for the cost - ask your vet. Prices for the vaccine and the passport can vary widely.

BTW, it's worth remembering that while everyone thinks "rabies" when they talk about passports, that's the disease your dogs are least likely to get when travelling in Europe. But there are far worse things out there - including in the UK. You might need a different/stronger parasite control than you usually use. www.esccap.org gives a broad overview of what diseases your dog might come in contact with in different areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That changed in 2012, when it became obligatory to have a passport for pets travelling between any two EU countries.

The fact that it's not rigourously enforced doesn't mean the requirement has gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shauna1405

So my application was received the 11th Aug as we booked a holiday for the 5th Sept, been in contact told the office I needed it said I'd collect it on Tuesday morning and they said it's a possibility I may not get it in time.. online application says 1st Sept. anyone know is this reliable and could I use a drivers license for going with Aer lingus?? Flying within Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Shauna1405 wrote: »
    So my application was received the 11th Aug as we booked a holiday for the 5th Sept, been in contact told the office I needed it said I'd collect it on Tuesday morning and they said it's a possibility I may not get it in time.. online application says 1st Sept. anyone know is this reliable and could I use a drivers license for going with Aer lingus?? Flying within Europe

A driving license will only work for UK. No exceptions.

Passport office timings are random. Online applications seem to be processed quickly.

Hopefully they are past the peak now and you'll get it.

The service is disgracefully inconsistent and unreliable but the clowns on their social media channels will happily retweet compliments and do SFA about complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Ended up doing this and it worked fine for me. Overall, it's remarkably easy now so long as the photo is okay.

However, my wife is having a fair bit of trouble. The booth gives you three goes to get the photo right and interestingly tells you if it thinks the photo isn't acceptable, which happened twice, but as above, it doesn't say what the problem is.

So, the third (and final) attempt is accepted. Hmm... We are suspicious at this point. What's it going to do if the third one isn't acceptable? Give you your money back? Not likely. Anyway the application was completed online and it appeared the photo was okay. But now, a couple of days later we get a pro-forma email saying the photo wasn't acceptable. There is a little more info in the email, enough to actually figure out the problem.

Anyway, it's something to be aware of. The booth will warn you there might be a problem but on the third attempt, it'll go ahead, submit the photo and take your €8.

There has to be an opening here for professional photographers to offer the same service, with a better success rate (or even pharmacies) at the same or lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just wondering guys how long would it normally take going from passport book printing to it being dispatched?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I just recieved my passport exactly 10 working days after applying with passport express.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

I just recieved my passport exactly 10 working days after applying with passport express.

That was fast given you applied through passport express.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Ordered the passport card here on a monday and it was in my hands the following saturday. Superb service. Well done all.
    Go raibh maith agaibh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Just an update and a bit of advice.
    Was in no hurry for a passport and had tried online several times but couldnt get the photo to be accepted.
    Anyways last week i tried again.
    Study the sample photos and get the right dimensions and background.
    Basically use a digital camera instead of smartphone , no matter what i did i couldnt get the android photos to work but several attempts with a digital camera worked fine , also worth mentioning that i cropped the photos to get the background and dimensions right.
    Hopefully that helps

Turnaround time online , applied 30/8 and both card and passport arrived today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement