Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

But if I risk it and don't get it by the day of travelling, Aer Lingus prices may sky rocket or be sold out?

That's why it's called a risk. But tbh online renewals are being turned around in a week, so it's a calculated risk, which is very likely to work out in your favour

netopia wrote: »
    Can I just say don't risk applying online when you're travelling that soon. Make an appointment to visit Cork or Dublin. At least you know that way you will have the passport in your hand.

Yes this is another option. Bear in mind it will cost you extra though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PassportHelp1

Hi, lost my passport and recovered it. (2nd time losing but with recovery lost 1).

I want to travel in mid October and live beside Mount St. in dublin.

Should I apply online + send in my recovered passport or book an appointment and bring lost passport with me. Hoping I don't get a two year passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Due to fly to the UK tomorrow evening with ryanair, went to check in online today and realised my passport expired a few months ago. On-line check in requires you to enter an expiry date.

If I put in a valid (enter 12/17 for example) expiry date, what are the chances I'll get to board the flight and my return flight in a few days?

Going to the passport office isn't an option as I have to work today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement

patsman07 wrote: »
    Due to fly to the UK tomorrow evening with ryanair, went to check in online today and realised my passport expired a few months ago. On-line check in requires you to enter an expiry date.

If I put in a valid (enter 12/17 for example) expiry date, what are the chances I'll get to board the flight and my return flight in a few days?

Going to the passport office isn't an option as I have to work today and tomorrow.

Sorry but if it's really that important that you fly tomorrow, you'd be making the time to sort this out.

As Fred Swanson says, either rebook your Ryanair flights, book with some other airline who will accept a different form of photo ID, or use the sail & rail option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

Flying out in late September/early October (date TBC) with a passport that expires in January. Now I may still be in that other country in January as this is traveling for work and the contract will either be 3 or 6 months initially.

So I'll need a new passport to get back home.

Question: if I apply online will I definitely get it in the next 2 weeks? I've glanced over the last couple of pages here and many seem to say they get theirs within a week.

It's 80 euros Vs 200 euros (standard 10 year Vs an emergency one).

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Flying out in late September/early October (date TBC) with a passport that expires in January. Now I may still be in that other country in January as this is traveling for work and the contract will either be 3 or 6 months initially.

So I'll need a new passport to get back home.

Question: if I apply online will I definitely get it in the next 2 weeks? I've glanced over the last couple of pages here and many seem to say they get theirs within a week.

It's 80 euros Vs 200 euros (standard 10 year Vs an emergency one).

Cheers
    why not just apply for the renewal when you're abroad ?

It only costs a fiver more or something like that

why not just apply for the renewal when you're abroad ?

It only costs a fiver more or something like that

And have it posted to the country I'm in? This particular country has a reputation for a brutal postal service.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

They just stuck mine in a standard postal envelope and sent it to me in NL from the Embassy in The Hague.

Paid extra cash for "Priority" in fairness the whole thing took 4 or 5 working days.

when you renew ?
    They posted it to me no bother to my home address in Germany.
    The old system meant it was always sent in via the embassy and was returned via the embassy, but the online renewal seems to be different

EDIT: they dont seem to trust some postal services
    Why is my passport book being sent to my nearest Embassy/Consulate?
    The majority of passport books produced from applications submitted online will be posted directly to you. However, due to unreliable postal services in some countries, passport books will be sent to your nearest Embassy/Consulate, who will contact you directly to arrange delivery to your postal address.

So the general consensus is it takes just a week online for a standard (non emergency) one?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pjq

I applied online on Sunday last, I got my new passport today Tuesday. One working day for DFA and one working night for An Post. Date of issue is 1 Oct , ie. Sunday.
    Amazed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 irlblae

Hi I need some help asap please!! I stupidly booked Ryanair flights to the UK for October 15th forgetting that you can't use your driver licence like you can with Aer Lingus. I lost my passport about two years ago but never reported it missing since I had no travel plans and I'm almost certain it's in my house somewhere, I just can't locate it. Anyway, I applied for a new one on Monday through Passport Express and the issue date is October 19th. I travel at night on the 15th. I've tried ringing the office multiple times but obviously they're busy so I'm put on hold every time. I know this isn't considered an emergency but is there anything I can do to push it forward? I'm willing to go into the office in Dublin if I need to. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

pjq wrote: »
    I applied online on Sunday last, I got my new passport today Tuesday. One working day for DFA and one working night for An Post. Date of issue is 1 Oct , ie. Sunday.
    Amazed!

Was the actual issue date earlier than the estimated date originally listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 audreyyy

Please help, I have been living in Ireland for 4 years and 6 months with a stamp 4 gnib and I am due to apply for an Irish passport next year. In the last 4 years, I have traveled couple of times out of Ireland. When applying for irish passport, do I need to send my whole passport, or just certified copy of the data page?. Will I need to send copies of the travel stamp pages as well? or just data page. please help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

audreyyy wrote: »
    Please help, I have been living in Ireland for 4 years and 6 months with a stamp 4 gnib and I am due to apply for an Irish passport next year. In the last 4 years, I have traveled couple of times out of Ireland. When applying for irish passport, do I need to send my whole passport, or just certified copy of the data page?. Will I need to send copies of the travel stamp pages as well? or just data page. please help

Have you called the relevant office to ask them?

according to the immigration office website , on the form on which you apply, you do need to submit the passport itsself
    2) The original of your current passport and any previous passports valid during periods of residence in the State,
    together with a photocopy of the biometric page of each passport.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%208%20Ver%205.5%20Aug%2016.pdf/Files/Form%208%20Ver%205.5%20Aug%2016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 audreyyy

Thank you. I'll check this link

audreyyy wrote: »

Wait, are you talking about when you apply for an Irish passport, or when you apply for Irish Citizenship?

Subtle but important difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been watching this thread for a while and it seems to be a general consensus that online renewal is usually a week (or less)

I renewed my passport last Thursday (2nd) and the online tracker is telling me that the "estimated issue date" is November 15th (Wednesday week).
    The current status is "Printing" (which it has been at since Friday night. For what it's worth, the progress bar is over 90% filled.

I have to go on a business trip next Tuesday, so I'm very concerned about this.

For anyone who renewed recently, was the estimated issue date accurate all through your application process?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

The Passport office states online that turnaround times for online applications is 10 working days plus postage https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/ it is possible for some to get their passports in less time than this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Mr E wrote: »
    I've been watching this thread for a while and it seems to be a general consensus that online renewal is usually a week (or less)

I renewed my passport last Thursday (2nd) and the online tracker is telling me that the "estimated issue date" is November 15th (Wednesday week).
    The current status is "Printing" (which it has been at since Friday night. For what it's worth, the progress bar is over 90% filled.

For anyone who renewed recently, was the estimated issue date accurate all through your application process?

Mine was completed faster than the estimated issue date (a few months ago)

If it is showing as "printing" it will probably be posted early this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Mr E wrote: »

Actually, the biggest change with the new system is that you keep the old passport. So, it makes sense to renew well before the old one expires and if it doesn't arrive in time, you use the old one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Too late now. Hindsight, 20/20 etc. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement