Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

plodder wrote: »
    Actually, the biggest change with the new system is that you keep the old passport. So, it makes sense to renew well before the old one expires and if it doesn't arrive in time, you use the old one.....
    well..... I waited till the last possible moment and then renewed but by the time I got it in the old one was expired.
    They nevertheless ran the start date to run seamlessly from the previous passport (so I "lost" a few weeks of potential validity)

Is that also what happens if you apply in time, that theres no overlap of the old and new passport validity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Mr E wrote: »
    Too late now. Hindsight, 20/20 etc. :)
    don't know where you're based, but if it gets to squeaky bum time say this Friday, I would call them and see if you can call to the printing facility to collect it personally, which is in Balbriggan Co Dublin. I did that for someone else once.

@munchkin_utd. I don't know if the validity period overlaps. I suspect it does but am not sure. The couple of weeks you;d lose would be worth the peace of mind imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dohadugie

My daughter travels in December to Ireland. She has an Australian passport with less than 6 months validity on it. Will she be allowed in to the country or do I need to get her a new passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

plodder wrote: »
    don't know where you're based, but if it gets to squeaky bum time say this Friday, I would call them and see if you can call to the printing facility to collect it personally, which is in Balbriggan Co Dublin. I did that for someone else once.

That's an excellent idea, thanks.

I'm going to hit their live chat later today and see if they can expedite it (I can provide proof of a flight next Tuesday if they need to). It's a bit cheeky but it's worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've tried to find an answer but the information only states that EU passport holders just need a passport that is valid, with no minimum length of validity. And it says that Australian citizens dont need a visa, but no mention whether a passport must have a minimum validity.
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/non-visa-short-visit

The Australian travel advice for Ireland recommends having a passport with 6 months validity.
    http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/europe/northern/Pages/ireland.aspx

If I were you I'd just ring the Irish embassy in Canberra and they'd give you an answer in a matter of seconds.
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/australia/

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Her passport needs only to valid for the duration of the trip.
    Source: Timatic via http://cms.olympicair.com/timatic/webdocsI/spdbmainv.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dispatched
    Your Passport Book was posted on 07/11/2017

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I've tried to find an answer but the information only states that EU passport holders just need a passport that is valid, with no minimum length of validity. And it says that Australian citizens dont need a visa, but no mention whether a passport must have a minimum validity.
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/non-visa-short-visit

The Australian travel advice for Ireland recommends having a passport with 6 months validity.
    http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/europe/northern/Pages/ireland.aspx

If I were you I'd just ring the Irish embassy in Canberra and they'd give you an answer in a matter of seconds.
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/australia/

No validity requirement in Irish law though of course it makes sense for an Australian national to have a passport that is valid for the duration of their journey.

The Australian website advise is daft.

I would beware of taking immigration advice from an Irish embassy abroad. Many are known to give bad advice. They are staffed by DFA staff or those on secondment. They know about entry visa requirements but little else about general immigration rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

steve-o wrote: »
    Her passport needs only to valid for the duration of the trip.
    Source: Timatic via http://cms.olympicair.com/timatic/webdocsI/spdbmainv.html

I'd be very wary of getting advice about passports and/or visas from a third party website.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Husband applied on Tuesday via online application. It was posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Applied online for a passport renewal last Saturday night at the DFAs (new?) Passport Online Service: https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

New passport was sitting on my desk in work at 9am on Friday morning

I am astounded that they turned it around in just 4 working days... well done to the DFA for introducing such an impressive service!

Best part is there is no an Post "passport express" fee...

And even better - no need to beg the Gardai to witness your pics

geecee wrote: »
    Applied online for a passport renewal last Saturday night at the DFAs (new?) Passport Online Service: https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

New passport was sitting on my desk in work at 9am on Friday morning

I am astounded that they turned it around in just 4 working days... well done to the DFA for introducing such an impressive service!

Best part is there is no an Post "passport express" fee...

And even better - no need to beg the Gardai to witness your pics

Yup my husband applied Tuesday and his was posted yesterday. Very impressed. Wish I could do mine that way but foolishly i booked my flights in my married name so have to renew my passport the slower way

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Likewise...did Tuesday night -passport book and card both posted yesterday. Took maybe 15 minutes including taking snap on my tablet.
    Great service. ..fair dues!

For anyone that is looking for an "official" digital pic taken for the online passport...
    I had my pic taken in the photocare shop at Jervis Luas stop

Seems they are one of the few shops in Dublin that can provide your passport pic in digital format (E-Mail or CD). There are photo booths that do it... but the output of those booths can be a little bit unpredictable!

For anyone that is looking for an "official" digital pic taken for the online passport...
    I had my pic taken in the photocare shop at Jervis Luas stop

Seems they are one of the few shops in Dublin that can provide your passport pic in digital format (E-Mail or CD). There are photo booths that do it... but the output of those booths can be a little bit unpredictable!

There is nothing 'official' about that service, any photo shop can take a passport photo and give you a digital copy by e-mail, on CD or they can copy it onto your memory stick.

The only 'official' way to get a digital photo is to go to a www.photo-me.ie/ outlet, they will take your photo and give you a code which you can refer to in your application, the passport office will then access the photo electronically from photo-me using that code.

coylemj wrote: »
    There is nothing 'official' about that service, any photo shop can take a passport photo and give you a digital copy by e-mail, on CD or they can copy it onto your memory stick.

I disagree. I went to a load of photo and pharmacy shops around Dublin CC, and the only ones that were capable of giving me the pic in Digital format was photocare

As for the "Photo-Me outlets" they are nothing more than old fashioned photo booths, and we all know how bad the pics are that come out of those are!

At least in Photocare they took several "posed" pics and I was able to choose the best (of a bad bunch!) for my new passport pic. I wasn't claiming that they were official... I meant that the pic looked official... and not like something taken by a 1970s photo booth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I disagree. I went to a load of photo and pharmacy shops around Dublin CC, and the only ones that were capable of giving me the pic in Digital format was photocare

As for the "Photo-Me outlets" they are nothing more than old fashioned photo booths, and we all know how bad the pics are that come out of those are!

At least in Photocare they took several "posed" pics and I was able to choose the best (of a bad bunch!) for my new passport pic. I wasn't claiming that they were official... I meant that the pic looked official... and not like something taken by a 1970s photo booth

Disagree all you want. Photo Me are the officially sanctioned way of doing it. The online system was designed to interface with their service.

Photo-Me is perfectly fine quality and in fact were able to tell me that my photo wouldn't be accepted by the passport office and that I had to try again. Cuts human interaction down hugely (which is a plus for Anxious Annie over here...)

I applied today via Passport Express so we'll see how long it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

When I got my passport renewed I got someone to take about about a dozen photos of me on my (bog standard) phone.

The first three photos I uploaded weren't accepted but the next one was ... the app tells you straight away if the photo is rejected, if that happens you just try another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

fxotoole wrote: »
    Disagree all you want. Photo Me are the officially sanctioned way of doing it. The online system was designed to interface with their service.
    I'm not sure that they are "officially sanctioned" beyond having a link from the passport website and they send the image direct from the booth.

I had a mixed experience with them. It worked okay for me, but the photo submitted by the machine for my wife was rejected afterwards by the passport service. So, we ended up having to pay a second time at the machine.

Photographers/pharmacies are missing a trick here. How hard can it be to provide a digital photo on a USB stick, or for that matter, send the images direct to the passport office? Photo Me are cleaning up with money for old rope.

Applied on the 13th via passport express arrived today so taking just over 10 working days at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

January wrote: »
    Applied on the 13th via passport express arrived today so taking just over 10 working days at the moment.

Did you apply online, or using an old school paper application form?

fxotoole wrote: »
    Did you apply online, or using an old school paper application form?

Was changing my name so had to go old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jamesyboid88

Travelling to Amsterdam end of January and worried about my passport as I've been told different things. My passport expires June 2018. Is it ok to travel with less then 6 months before expiration

Yes

In general terms, it tends to be Asian and Arab countries that require a validity of 3 or 6 months beyond your planned trip but I'm 100% certain that for travel to the US and EU, your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of the trip itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jamesyboid88

Old passport is knackered and thrown in bin. Need a new one before 23d January. How hard will it be to get a new one ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement