Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

yes lol this was my original post but was told it may have been accidentally dumped.

You have an accidental binman?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

had 5 months left on it

You won't be able to just get a new passport as yours is still valid. You need to report it lost /stolen /damaged. For lost /damaged you'll be interviewed by the police. I'm not sure about damaged but put it in the bin.

Not having the damaged passport will definitely delay getting a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You won't be able to just get a new passport as yours is still valid. You need to report it lost /stolen /damaged. For lost /damaged you'll be interviewed by the police. I'm not sure about damaged but put it in the bin.

Not having the damaged passport will definitely delay getting a replacement

This is false once your within 6 months of expiry date you can renew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Old passport is knackered and thrown in bin. Need a new one before 23d January. How hard will it be to get a new one ?

thrown in the bin?
    doesn't sound very safe OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If the passport is still valid, apply for the passport card and travel using that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

smurfjed wrote: »
    They want it in order to stamp CANCELLED on it, but it will be returned to you.

I have filled in various international applications (USA mainly) where they have asked me to list each passport that I have held for the last 10 years, in my case that was 7 actual books.

So don't throw the things out.

I renewed mine online last week and only took about 4 days to get it. They didn't want my old passport even though it's still valid until end of February 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A couple years back - I was in the Passport Office for a renewal. Person in front of me was in claiming for second subsequent passport replacement- instead they got given the third degree and were advised that there would be a holding period and a final decision on a replacement passport would only be considered after that...

The regulations require that passports are kept in a secure place - I don't believe a bin would qualify :D
    If you have a poor passport record, (that is, you have lost 2 or more passports) it is likely that a limited passport facility will be given to you for specific travel purposes.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/lost-stolen-or-damaged-passport/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If it only has 5 months left on it renew online, you don't have to do declarations then. You do need your passport number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jamesyboid88

January wrote: »
    If it only has 5 months left on it renew online, you don't have to do declarations then. You do need your passport number though.
    Cheers I got it sorted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes there are offers on the Vermont. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shalclon

Can anyone advise me can I apply for passport online with the older style passports which only have a number followed by 6 digits? Keeps telling me its invalid passport number as needs to be letter followed by 7digits. It's only expired since April so would have thought it would be straight forward. Many thanks for any help.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I found this online:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q. What is my Passport Number?[/font] Your Passport Number is located in the top right hand corner of your passport will begin with the letter P or L and followed by another letter and 7 numbers (example PA1234567).[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q. My passport was issued in 2005 or prior to 2005, starts with S and has 6 digits.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Can I apply online?  [/font]No, your passport is not a bio metric passport as it was issued in 2005 or prior to 2005, therefore you must apply using the paper application system.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/onlinefaqs/[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I would have imagined that a passport that was valid until April of this year was issued in 2007 and therefore would be bio-metric but maybe you got an old one?[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shalclon

Thanks so much for reply. Yes was issued April 2007 so I assumed it would work but it is the older style one. Seems to be a lost cause unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Shalclon, it sounds like you have an older style passport book with a laminated photo page? In that case, I'd say you're unable to apply online. You must have been one of the last people to be issued one of those older books.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

Hi all

I have booked an appointment with Passport Office on Monday to get an urgent passport for my child (8 months old). We have flights booked for 5th January - these were booked without realising I needed a passport for my child, I am a dope! I will pay the fees to get it asap but seeing it is a first time application, do you think I have any chance at all getting it before then knowing that it is coming up to Xmas?

Sunburnt

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At an emergency appt yes .
    Once you have all the paperwork done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Did you think you were going to put the baby in checked baggage?

I didn't think to be honest - it was booked in haste due to unforeseen circumstances and wasn't thinking straight. It is a lesson learned. Just hope I haven't thrown money down the drain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I don't see why the passport won't arrive on time assuming it's being treated as an emergency rather than just "fast track" which can still take a long time for first time applicants. Just make sure you have all your documents in order, and that the passport photo meets the very strict criteria.

Thanks Tenigate :) Fingers crossed. I will let ye know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

I know some countries want it to be valid for months but according to Dept. of Foreign Affairs, in the EU:
    Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date.

So if my passport expires on the date of my return flight, is it still valid that day, or does it expire at the start of that day? If expiry date is 31 December, I presume it expires at the end of that date, not the start?

Flight will be somewhere in Germany or Brussels to Dublin,

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This online passport service is brilliant.

Applied for it online on Wednesday (2 days ago). Got my partner to take a photo of me standing against a white wall on my smartphone. No need for outrageously priced horrible photo booth photos. Photo accepted straight away.

According to the tracking it's already been dispatched already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Going to the US next month for a few days.

My passport is the paper type - does it need to be electronic? Ive filled out the Visa waiver online form anyways (such a scam that...12 quid for nothing but i digress...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Hi All, We are due to fly this Thursday (4th Jan), we lost our daughters passport and applied for new one with passport express. this was received the 5th December and said estimated issue date is 28th December.but in the process bar it says last updated today was "Processing Application".

is there anything I can do, tried calling ( they are not taking calls because of busy time) I have emailed and tweeted also.

Passport express is 15 Working Days, this is now 17-18

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement