Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Going to the US next month for a few days.

My passport is the paper type - does it need to be electronic? Ive filled out the Visa waiver online form anyways (such a scam that...12 quid for nothing but i digress...)

Don't know what you mean by the paper type.

In order to avail of the Visa Waiver Programme, you need to have a biometric passport. If your passport has the biometric chip symbol on the cover page (underneath the Irish harp), then it's biometric.

More info here (click on "Passport Requirements"):

https://www.dhs.gov/visa-waiver-program-requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

So I'm planning on travelling to the states in the summer, around June time. My passport expires at the end of May so I applied for a new one on Tuesday 2nd as the application for the visa requires a passport number and date of expiry, and my current one would have expired before then.

My problem is that I'm travelling within the EU Friday week 12th, will applying for the new one present a problem with my current passport being invalid on check-in? It will be in date so that won't be a problem but I understand there are now electronic devices put in place for additional security against terrorism etc, could my current one raise a flag?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you apply online? You should have the new one before the 12th if so.

Use your new one once it arrives not the old one.

January wrote: »
    Did you apply online? You should have the new one before the 12th if so.

Use your new one once it arrives not the old one.

Yes, applied for the book online. That'd be great, it says allow for 2-3 weeks on the website, is this worst-case scenario or just a precaution?

Husband had his within a week before Christmas, and others on the passport megathread are reporting they have theirs within a few days too.

• Advertisement

Just checked the tracker there, the estimated issue date is 15/01, which is the day I'm due to fly back. Does this mean my old one should be okay? Wouldn't be fun for it to become invalid after flying over..

Yes you should be fine if the other one doesn't come before then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rainem

I have lost my passport twice in 2 years, I am going to apply for a new one ASAP but I was invited to go to NEW YORK in March. they are booking the tickets this week which I wont have my passport for, can you still book just the flight without a passport out of the EU ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

rainem wrote: »
    I have lost my passport twice in 2 years, I am going to apply for a new one ASAP but I was invited to go to NEW YORK in March. they are booking the tickets this week which I wont have my passport for, can you still book just the flight without a passport out of the EU ??

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rainem

my friend is saying I need a passport number does the airline website not ask for your passport number to reserve your ticket if its out of the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    As for forging a passport, yeah considering the amounts of money people will pay, I'm sure there will always be ways found around it. Though if I lost mine, I think it would be very easy to forge.
    Mossad and al-Qaeda have forged irish passports in the past. I think they Irish passports are desired to have due to our neutrality and international standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_Irish_passport

Based on the above it looks like they would only issue a replacement to cover a specific time period or trip.
    Interesting that there appears to be no time limit to which this sanction applies. Lose two passports and you're in eternal passport purgatory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

why dont you apply for a passport card and hope that the other one shows up in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rainem wrote: »
    my friend is saying I need a passport number does the airline website not ask for your passport number to reserve your ticket if its out of the EU?

Not at the time you book the flights. You will be asked to supply advanced passenger info (API) prior to travelling to the US but there's nothing to stop you booking the flights now without a passport or with a passport that will expire before you travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Any real life turn around times for Passport Cards? Not in a rush, just curious. The online application was incredibly straightforward. I was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Interesting that there appears to be no time limit to which this sanction applies. Lose two passports and you're in eternal passport purgatory!

Not true. If you improve your record by keeping your restricted passport for it's length of validity, the next passport will be a full one.

AngryLips wrote: »
    why dont you apply for a passport card and hope that the other one shows up in the meantime?

Passport Cards aren't valid for entry to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Travelling to Spain in early April. Passport expires mid May. Is this ok, or does there have to be a few (three) months between both dates ?

I seem to recall someone telling me this at some stage.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Should be fine as it's only used to verify your identity. Spain is in the EU so visa rules don't apply.
    But the obvious thing to do is apply for a new passport now.

• Advertisement

Tenigate wrote: »
    Should be fine as it's only used to verify your identity. Spain is in the EU so visa rules don't apply.
    But the obvious thing to do is apply for a new passport now.

Thanks. Only thing about applying for new one is..flights are booked in old passport number.

Shouldn't make a difference. I doubt you already have your boarding pass, so just update the details before you check in.

Shouldn't make a difference. I doubt you already have your boarding pass, so just update the details before you check in.

Excuse my laziness, but do you know if they charge for that ?

Ryanair don't. Doubt any do

Ryanair don't. Doubt any do

Thanks for your help, Tenigate & com1. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

mattser wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, Tenigate & com1. Very much appreciated.

Except the advice is wrong.

You don't need any extra validity on your passport so there's no need to apply for a new one.

Except the advice is wrong.

You don't need any extra validity on your passport so there's no need to apply for a new one.

Are you not just repeating what was said yesterday i.e. the passport due to expire will cover the return journey, but I will be needing to renew it in the
    next few months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Hi guys.

Just wondering what the turn around time for passports is at the minute???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement