Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Depends.

First time passport, paper renewal or online renewal?

2 first time passports for my boys, mine is lost and hubby has his old out of date one here.... I don't know what to do with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Online Renewal last Sunday. Passport came today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Oh that's fine. I'll start applying now. I still have a while to go. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

ei9go wrote: »
    Online Renewal last Sunday. Passport came today.

Put mine in for renewal online on friday, printed and posted and will be with me tomorrow, a week turnaround with a weekend in between, much better than the old service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mattser wrote: »
    Are you not just repeating what was said yesterday i.e. the passport due to expire will cover the return journey, but I will be needing to renew it in the
    next few months anyway.

Yes but why not wait and renew the current passport when you get back from Spain? That way you won't have to update your existing flight booking and you'll get a passport that will run to May 2028 instead of earlier in the same year?

In your case, I can't see the logic in renewing until close to when your current passport expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes but why not wait and renew the current passport when you get back from Spain? That way you won't have to update your existing flight booking and you'll get a passport that will run to May 2028 instead of earlier in the same year?

In your case, I can't see the logic in renewing until close to when your current passport expires.

You're right. That's what I intended to do, but probably put it across wrong. Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Recent passport express renewal - received by Passport Office on 29 Dec. Postman handed it to me on 12 Jan. Thought that was good considering the time of year.

Quick question though - I thought you got your old passport back? Has that changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

shar01 wrote: »
    Recent passport express renewal - received by Passport Office on 29 Dec. Postman handed it to me on 12 Jan. Thought that was good considering the time of year.

Quick question though - I thought you got your old passport back? Has that changed?

I got my old one back in November.

January wrote: »
    I got my old one back in November.

A quick google search indicates that I should get old one back. I'll fire off an email to the passport office next week.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Wasn't damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

When i renewed my Passport (about a month left on it) i didn’t have to send it and i just kept it.

Form says you send your most recent passport with application.

You must have an honest face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Micky 32 wrote: »
    When i renewed my Passport (about a month left on it) i didn’t have to send it and i just kept it.

You don't have to send it for online renewals but do for passport express.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Any real life turn around times for Passport Cards? Not in a rush, just curious. The online application was incredibly straightforward. I was impressed.

Applying for my first passport card. Is 5 days the usual turnaround for first applications? Has anyone experienced longer times? Asking because I might leave home in next few weeks.

Is the passport card sent via ordinary post (I'm in the UK), or by registered post or something?

Also, silly question: is it credit card sized? Ones I've seen other people have seem roughly credit card sized, but half the reason I'm applying for a passport card is so it can fit in the credit card slots in my wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Applying for my first passport card. Is 5 days the usual turnaround for first applications? Has anyone experienced longer times? Asking because I might leave home in next few weeks.

Is the passport card sent via ordinary post (I'm in the UK), or by registered post or something?

Also, silly question: is it credit card sized? Ones I've seen other people have seem roughly credit card sized, but half the reason I'm applying for a passport card is so it can fit in the credit card slots in my wallet!

The turnaround times are generally 5 working days plus postage, so if you live abroad you will need to factor that in too. The cards are sent by registered post so you will need to have someone at the address you provide to sign for it, so if you are out at work and there is no one at home don't put your home address.

Yes they are credit card size :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Louche Lad wrote: »

Mine dispatched today, 16th, after being applied for on the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hi all,

I currently go by my second name. However my firstname secondname surname is on my current passport.
    My passport is currently up for renewal and I want to go by secondname surname.

However, I have several flights booked under the original passport format.
    Will getting this changed impact my ability to fly (cost wise for change of name)?

I'm also wondering, would it be more advisable to get my birth certificate name printed on my passport (which is an option).

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Get only your first name on your passport on your next renewal and just learn to live with it, it's not worth the hassle of trying to change things. Plenty of people have several first names, are known by the second or third of those names but have to live with the fact that they can only use their first name to book flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

ok thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmmm...I'm known by my second name. My passport has first name, second name and surname on it always. I ALWAYS book all tickets under my second name and I have never even been questioned in any way or had it mentioned to me. Have people had issues with this? As long as the name the ticket is booked under appears on it then it should be fine. I fill out all immigration/customs forms for etc US with my second name only also and again never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand there is an option for "also known as".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I know Ryan Air need a minimum of 6 months valid passport from date of travel

my young lad is travelling with me on the 10th February, his passport runs out the 20TH August, he is over the 6 months but just, how sticky are they on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

They don't. There is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I know Ryan Air need a minimum of 6 months valid passport from date of travel

my young lad is travelling with me on the 10th February, his passport runs out the 20TH August, he is over the 6 months but just, how sticky are they on this

say what now???

I'm flying with Ryanair @ end of April and passport expires mid June - i presumed all is fine seeing as it's actually in date??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

say what now???

I'm flying with Ryanair @ end of April and passport expires mid June - i presumed all is fine seeing as it's actually in date??!!

It's not a Ryanair requirement, it's requirements for specific countries.
    There's a 6 month requirement for Israel, read elsewhere that also applies to Morocco, but that's not specified in Ryanair's T+Cs.
    It's 3 months for Schengen countries if you've a non-EU passport.
    Unless one of the listed exceptions applies you should be fine/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

MOH wrote: »
    It's 3 months for Schengen countries if you've a non-EU passport.
    Unless one of the listed exceptions applies you should be fine/.

Thanks, do you have a link - we're travelling to Germany for a week, with Irish passports and one passport will have 6 weeks left before expiry.

Edited: this link states we should be okay
    https://www.worldtravelguide.net/guides/europe/germany/passport-visa/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks, do you have a link - we're travelling to Germany for a week, with Irish passports and one passport will have 6 weeks left before expiry.

I posted the link :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement