Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When I last renewed my passport, I unintentionally asked for both of my first names to appear on the passport. A guy from the passport office rang me, pointed out that the passport that just expiring had only one first name and was I really sure I wanted both? He advised me to use my first name only and I took his advice.

You may run into problems renting a car in the US if the name on your passport & driving licence are not identical, hence for consistency I would advise anyone to stick to your first name on official documents and go by any name you choose in everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

My mother's passport has both her first names on it but like most people she only uses her first name. In the past she had her ticket queried at check in because the plane ticket, issued by a travel agent, only had one name +surname on it. Just unfortunate if you run into some jobsworth at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

Just another compliment for the online renewal service. I applied for my new passport online (with my lovely photo :eek:) on Thursday afternoon, 4 January and it arrived by post the following Tuesday, the 9th.

I was delighted to receive it so quickly and am happy I get to hang on to my old one, because I've travelled a bit the last few years and have some cool stamps on it. The first stamp on my new one will be Cuba! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmm...I'm known by my second name. My passport has first name, second name and surname on it always. I ALWAYS book all tickets under my second name and I have never even been questioned in any way or had it mentioned to me. Have people had issues with this? As long as the name the ticket is booked under appears on it then it should be fine. I fill out all immigration/customs forms for etc US with my second name only also and again never had an issue.
    Same here, go by second name. Passport has full name , signature on passport is second name , all bookings using second name. Never had an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

ted1 wrote: »
    Same here, go by second name. Passport has full name , signature on passport is second name , all bookings using second name. Never had an issue

Ryanair even state when booking that you only need to put your first and last name, not middle. Although if you do put your middle I can't see it mattering much.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Ryanair even state when booking that you only need to put your first and last name, not middle. Although if you do put your middle I can't see it mattering much.

Can you provide a link for that? I go by first name but my passport has first name, second name and surname. I always book flights (regardless of airline) using my full name, as per passport, as I thought it was a requirement. Reading this thread it appears I was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    Can you provide a link for that? I go by first name but my passport has first name, second name and surname. I always book flights (regardless of airline) using my full name, as per passport, as I thought it was a requirement. Reading this thread it appears I was incorrect.

https://twitter.com/ryanair/status/446971671975854080?lang=en

While I know it is slightly dated it is still an official response, I will also get onto them for clarification.

UPDATE: Sent them a tweet to make sure it's still the same policy.

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/955489276652814336

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hey all. Im travelling to USA next week and have applied in Visa Waiver program to do so.

My passport is from 2010. Does this need to be of the new electronic type to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hey all. Im travelling to USA next week and have applied in Visa Waiver program to do so.

My passport is from 2010. Does this need to be of the new electronic type to travel?

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/travel-between-the-usa-and-ireland/

"Passport Requirements
    Since 16 June 2005 all persons, including children, traveling to the United States have been required to present a machine readable passport to avail of the U.S. Visa Waiver Programme. Otherwise they must obtain a visa, in advance, from their nearest U.S. Diplomatic or Consular Mission.

Ireland is one of the countries that can avail of visa waiver status and has been issuing machine readable passports since 1993. If you have an old style handwritten passport and you wish to travel to the United States, you will need to apply for a visa at your nearest US Embassy/consulate.

A machine readable passport has two lines of text in the form of letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page.

New passports issued by Visa Waiver Program countries after 25 October 2006 must be ePassports, which include an integrated computer chip capable of storing biographic information from the data page, as well as other biometric information, such as the required digital photograph of the holder. Ireland commenced issuing ePassports on 16 October, 2006.

You can identify an ePassport by the logo at the bottom of the cover

Machine readable passports issued before 16 October 2006 are still valid for travel to the US until their date of expiry."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Riskymove wrote: »
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/passports/top-passport-questions/travel-between-the-usa-and-ireland/

"Passport Requirements
    Since 16 June 2005 all persons, including children, traveling to the United States have been required to present a machine readable passport to avail of the U.S. Visa Waiver Programme. Otherwise they must obtain a visa, in advance, from their nearest U.S. Diplomatic or Consular Mission.

Ireland is one of the countries that can avail of visa waiver status and has been issuing machine readable passports since 1993. If you have an old style handwritten passport and you wish to travel to the United States, you will need to apply for a visa at your nearest US Embassy/consulate.

A machine readable passport has two lines of text in the form of letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page.

New passports issued by Visa Waiver Program countries after 25 October 2006 must be ePassports, which include an integrated computer chip capable of storing biographic information from the data page, as well as other biometric information, such as the required digital photograph of the holder. Ireland commenced issuing ePassports on 16 October, 2006.

You can identify an ePassport by the logo at the bottom of the cover

Machine readable passports issued before 16 October 2006 are still valid for travel to the US until their date of expiry."

Mine has the chevrons and numbers. So im good?

Sorry just triple checking stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mine has the chevrons and numbers. So im good?

Sorry just triple checking stuff...

All Irish passport issued in the past 10 years and beyond are kosher i.e. you cannot hold a valid Irish passport which is not fully compliant with the U.S. requirements - machine-readable, biometric data, chip etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My 3 year old son needs his passport renewed, but there appears to be contradictory information on the application form and the information sheet that came with it regarding whether or not to send his birth cert with the application!

The info sheet says: The Birth Cert should be sent only if this will be the child's 1st passport, if his previous passport was issued prior to 2005, if I am submitting a sole guardian affidavit or his birth was re-registeded since his last passport was issued.

None of the above applies to my situation.

Then on the application form checklist, it says (Have you enclosed) Your most recent Irish passport, if applicable (If under 18 enclose your birth certificate also)

So which is it? Do I send his Birth cert or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

My 3 year old son needs his passport renewed, but there appears to be contradictory information on the application form and the information sheet that came with it regarding whether or not to send his birth cert with the application!

The info sheet says: The Birth Cert should be sent only if this will be the child's 1st passport, if his previous passport was issued prior to 2005, if I am submitting a sole guardian affidavit or his birth was re-registeded since his last passport was issued.

None of the above applies to my situation.

Then on the application form checklist, it says (Have you enclosed) Your most recent Irish passport, if applicable (If under 18 enclose your birth certificate also)

So which is it? Do I send his Birth cert or not?

The info sheet is correct. Birth certificate is not required because it’s a renewal, previous passport was issued after 2005, child’s name has not changed, birth has not been reregistered, and affidavit is not applicable.

The reference to the birth certificate on the checklist is only where applicable. In this case, it’s not applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Hi
    Just realised that my daughter's passport is out of date, she's 10 next week and we are travelling to London, tomorrow, Thursday from Cork. Not ideal, I appreciate!
    I understand that in theory, a passport is not required to travel between Ireland and the UK but Ryanair use passports as form of ID
    Will they accept a just out of date passport as ID, will they stop her from travelling. Also, more importantly, will she be allowed to travel back to Cork from Luton?
    Appreciate any advise that you may have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sorry to say but I saw someone stopped from boarding last week because their passport was out of date. They wouldn't accept any excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Doesn't look good....Ryanair sticklers on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Seoda1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just realised that my daughter's passport is out of date, she's 10 next week and we are travelling to London, tomorrow, Thursday from Cork. Not ideal, I appreciate!
    I understand that in theory, a passport is not required to travel between Ireland and the UK but Ryanair use passports as form of ID
    Will they accept a just out of date passport as ID, will they stop her from travelling. Also, more importantly, will she be allowed to travel back to Cork from Luton?
    Appreciate any advise that you may have!

Bad news I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Thanks all, it's as I suspected, but worth asking the question, just in case someone had a work around!

I appreciate your quick replies, thanks!

• Advertisement

Seoda1 wrote: »
    Thanks all, it's as I suspected, but worth asking the question, just in case someone had a work around!

I appreciate your quick replies, thanks!

Worth going to airport anyway and bringing as many forms of ID as you can lay your hands on. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Worth going to airport anyway and bringing as many forms of ID as you can lay your hands on. Best of luck.

None of which will make a blind bit of difference. The only form of ID Ryanair accepts from Irish citizens is a valid passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Have you checked in online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

UK

Children under 16 years of age (travelling with an adult) on UK domestic flights can travel without photo identification.

From Ryanair website, but you must purchase a seat, checkout online regs,

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    UK

Children under 16 years of age (travelling with an adult) on UK domestic flights can travel without photo identification.

They aren't booked on a domestic flight - they are booked on an international one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

They aren't booked on a domestic flight - they are booked on an international one.

Sorry, my bad, thought it was too easy!

Sorry, my bad, thought it was too easy!

Pádraig Pearse is spinning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

UK

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Within Ireland or not? if within in Ireland look at www.mydealpage.ie and filter by accomodation - sometimes if you ring the hotel direct and say you saw it advertised on a deal website they will still allow you to book direct through them but at the same rate as on the site- this way they get the full 100% of the price spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Sorry if this has been asked before I can’t find the answer on the dfa website. I need to renew my passport but change to my marriage name, do I include the original marriage cert or will a copy of it do? I have my old passport also

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement