Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

irishejit wrote: »
    Actually the best bet would be to contact the pass port office, just seen this on the passport website, down at the bottom of the page

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

That way at least you are sure withhout relying on advice on boards

Well that does say 'some country' it doesn't specifically mention the EU, anyway I will be ringing them just in case, I just posted this thread to find out if people had any prior experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

I flew to France in Feb this year and didn't realise til i got to the airport that my passport was only in date til 2 days after i was due to fly back (genius me i know!) but it was grand, no raised eyebrows at all! Think once you're within the eu you'd be more than ok with a month of validity left on yours. Hope this helps!

I flew to France in Feb this year and didn't realise til i got to the airport that my passport was only in date til 2 days after i was due to fly back (genius me i know!) but it was grand, no raised eyebrows at all! Think once you're within the eu you'd be more than ok with a month of validity left on yours. Hope this helps!

Did you fly with Ryanair because I was thinking maybe different airlines have different requirements for boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

This question comes up like every two days. It is the law that within the EU, any EU passport (or EU identity card) is good for travel up until the very last day of validity. The law also specifically states that countries are not allowed to impose any extra validity conditions. Whether it is France or Spain or Malta or Lithuania... as long as you are traveling within the EU, you are guaranteed by the law that any non-expired (and undamaged, of course) passport is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

just wondering if anyone no's if you can retrieve you passport tracking number from anywhere? i lost the recite from an post and didn't have it written down anywhere i know silly me!
    haven't had time to read through all the replies to this tread so don't no if this question has already been answered sorry if it has!
    oh and if i ring up the passport office do i need to quote the number what happens if like in my situation you don't have it?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think the rule of thumb is that you have to have at least 6 months left on your passport to be allowed to fly. I know thats the rule with northern ones and i can't see it being any different
    Actually the best bet would be to contact the pass port office, just seen this on the passport website, down at the bottom of the page

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

That way at least you are sure withhout relying on advice on boards

Especially from people like you who have no idea what they're talking about.

Undo's post above is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I can't see it being a problem. I had a passenger I checked in at the USA going to the UK on a drivers licence and UK Immigration had no problem, so a passport with 1 month before it expires on a flight within the EU should be totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OK, so I booked a holiday to Italy between the 7th and 14 July 2010 and I'll be traveling with Ryanair. However, my passport expires on the 12th August 2010.

Will Ryanair still allow me to board?

Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Ryanair cannot refuse you travel as far as I know. My passport recently expired, I was travelling right up to 3 days before it expired ( all be it with EI ).

I got 2 comments along the lines of, you know this is expiring soon , answer yes I do.

If you were going to certain countries they insist on 6months validity , but those would be outside EU

Enjoy your holiday/trip ! love Italy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

undo wrote: »
    This question comes up like every two days. It is the law that within the EU, any EU passport (or EU identity card) is good for travel up until the very last day of validity. The law also specifically states that countries are not allowed to impose any extra validity conditions. Whether it is France or Spain or Malta or Lithuania... as long as you are traveling within the EU, you are guaranteed by the law that any non-expired (and undamaged, of course) passport is OK.

I'd make this a sticky but people wouldn't bother reading it...

Ponster wrote: »
    I'd make this a sticky but people wouldn't bother reading it...

Is there a passport FAQ on this forum? If there isn't there should, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is there a passport FAQ on this forum? If there isn't there should, imo.

I agree. But even with an FAQ people will still enter the forum with their question.

I'm working on using the Boards biki to create a Boards Travel wiki site which all members could access and update. More info soon :)

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I got 2 comments along the lines of, you know this is expiring soon , answer yes I do.

I would say that is a good thing. People tend to forget that their passport is about to expire. If the date is getting close, it cannot harm for the immigration officer to point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Has anyone any idea how long it takes using passport express. Application has been received on 16th June and is being registered, nothing else on website. when should i expect to be on to the next stage? No travel plans at mo so no major panic, just curious!

Application [...] is being registered, nothing else on website. when should i expect to be on to the next stage?

The tracking website is not always up to date. Some people have received their passports while the website still said "registered". For others it jumped from "registered" to "printed". It should take the usual 20+ working days (although some passports were done much, much faster recently). Do not read too much into the status on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 alan2009

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering on the waiting time for new passports, as I have lost mine I will be posting in tomorrow, i will be getting the express passport. I am travelling the 21st of August.

Any Information will be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

You should be ok as they're saying about 20+working days. Dont forget to keep a record of your tracking no. ( at top of passport form) so you can check progress online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 alan2009

Thanks a lot for the info central park

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

sent my application by passport express on the 9th of June, got the passport today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Hey guys a quick question ...

I need my passport for travel pretty much up until it expires ...

Are the passport office still ok with photocopies of your existing passport ?

I've had a look through the thread and I'm just worried it'll be returned (the paranoid factor kicking in no doubt)

edit: I might add I've tried ringing loads of times and can't get through either

Thanks,
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

Sent my passport on June 21st.... What are the chances i'll have it early August???? Ill be booking a holiday next week and i'll send in the details then!

Dropped the passport directly into the passport office....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

forbairt wrote: »
    Hey guys a quick question ...

I need my passport for travel pretty much up until it expires ...

Are the passport office still ok with photocopies of your existing passport ?

I've had a look through the thread and I'm just worried it'll be returned (the paranoid factor kicking in no doubt)

edit: I might add I've tried ringing loads of times and can't get through either

Thanks,
    James

I'm in the same boat. My passport isn't expired but I put it through the wash so going to apply for a new one now anyway. I need it for travel in about a month - can I still send in a scan of my existing passport?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I sent my application in on June 2nd or something like that.

The passport office in Ballbriggan contacted me on Monday saying they needed additional photographs which I had courier out to them.....

Does anyone have the number for Balbriaggan as I need the passport for Friday!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

Can someone please tell me where I can send proof of travel details to???

Is there an email address? I want to send them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

getting passports tomorrow, hubbie got his to day . traced it yesterday and it said it is in the post with tracer. checked up on mine and sons to day and it says the same as it said for hubbies, we sent them of on the 14th june, today is the 8th, so they are getting better..

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

MacAva wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me where I can send proof of travel details to???

Is there an email address? I want to send them asap.
    i,d say it would be to the passport office, ive seen it in a post here a few days ago, just go back a few post,s you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

sent my passport away on the 14th of june with passport express was getting worried cause a friend sent his away to weeks ago and got his yesterday with no proof of travel. so Rang today got throught first time (waited on hold for five minutes) spoke to a friendly girl who said that they hope to get it into the post today or monday. so thats just about 20 working days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Funkstard wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. My passport isn't expired but I put it through the wash so going to apply for a new one now anyway. I need it for travel in about a month - can I still send in a scan of my existing passport?

Cheers

The passport office got back to me there. A copy of the passport is being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The OH and I sent off for our passports on the 25th June, via passport express and we both recieved them yesterday, 9th July.

We were frequently checking the status on the website but they never updated it beyond stating they received it and registered it on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I didn't have to send my old passport back to them when applying for my new one due to the delays. Upon receiving the new one, they also sent out a freepost letter with it to send the old one back to them.

Will anything happen if I don't send it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I didn't have to send my old passport back to them when applying for my new one due to the delays. Upon receiving the new one, they also sent out a freepost letter with it to send the old one back to them.

Will anything happen if I don't send it back?

It could cause you problems the next time you renew. But more importantly why wouldn't you send it back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement