Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Inchinc7 wrote: »
    You just take a ticket when you get there. I was there about 12ish today, not busy. Waited about half an hour to be seen. I think you can only make an appointment for new applications. I have to wait for call, could be Monday before I hear. I said I could collect. I had advised my travel dates via webchat a month ago and confirmed this, again via webchat, about a week ago. This seemed to be news to the guy I dealt with.

It's all very frustrating, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I have avoided mentioning holidays to my small kids in case I don't get them on time.

Hey there, don't have time to go over the thread but like you, have two small very excited kids and our estimated wait window is about seven weeks through Passport Express and not 20 working days. I've written to them but nothing....they're estimating we will get them the day we are due to fly :(

Did you make an appointment to go in or did you just go in, take a ticket, and see someone? I want to be as proactive as possible as we've paid for our holiday in full and as it stands my husband is the only one with a valid passport right now!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Inchinc7

Morning Merkin, I didn't make an appointment. We are flying next week and passports are due today. Been processing for 6 weeks so got very nervous and went in yesterday around 12. You just take a ticket for passport enquiries when you walk in. Appointments are only for new applications as far as I know. I was told to keep an eye on tracker but I would hear on Monday about collection if I haven't received them by then. You can see more from my last few posts, but that's the jist of it. I don't know what happens if your travel dates are further out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Inchinc7 wrote: »
    Morning Merkin, I didn't make an appointment. We are flying next week and passports are due today. Been processing for 6 weeks so got very nervous and went in yesterday around 12. You just take a ticket for passport enquiries when you walk in. Appointments are only for new applications as far as I know. I was told to keep an eye on tracker but I would hear on Monday about collection if I haven't received them by then. You can see more from my last few posts, but that's the jist of it. I don't know what happens if your travel dates are further out though.

Thanks a million for that! I think I'll
    go in over the next few weeks as it'll be too stressful! Am quite vexed as they shouldn't say passport express is within 20 working days, confirm this on their turnaround guidelines, then not only delay the whole process unnecessarily but have the temerity to be incommunicado for queries! Grrrrr!

You're a star! Def worth going in to eyeball them methinks!

Have a fab holiday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Just an update here, I applied online for a renewal at roughly 7.30pm(ish) yesterday evening, 8th of May.

It has been posted out to me already (9th of May) according to the site at about 445pm today.

I am impressed.

Well impressed.

Yeah, I was told by chat that online is prioritised. I would have definitely done it online had it been an option, but it's not with a child's passport as yet.

I am going to try to call them tomorrow as I'll probably travel up Monday at this rate if I get no satisfaction, although it will be a bloody nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If there was a problem with a first time application would they call to tell you, or let you wait for months on end for a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Inchinc7

Just got a call from a lovely lady in the office half an hour ago. Our passports are approved and being put in post. Will have them Monday morning. I can get back to holiday planning and stop panicking. Issue date was today anyway but I do think going in made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

steve-o wrote: »
    When are you planning to travel? It's only offered if you are booking at least 14 days in advance.

Yes, You can hold the fare up to 14 days before the day of travel.

Essentially, if your trying to hold the fare today, the travel date has to be the 24th May or after.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/hold-fare#0-1

450421.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gillytotsxxx

Hey there
    Just wondering has anyone applied for a passport card?
    And roughly what is the turnover period?
    Cheers :)

Passport office switched off their phone lines the second it hit 9am this morning. I'm back in the chat queue. Started at 31, moved up to 26 and then got bumped back to 33. I am beyond upset and angry at this stage, especially as everyone I've spoken to has got their passport back in the timeframe given. 5 weeks into a supposed 3 week timeframe given by them, two flags on my account and the renewal is still processing. It's beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I'm now properly upset. After nearly 90 minutes bouncing around in the chat queue I finally go through, only to be told the same thing - someone will be on contact 'if' collection is available.

I begged for someone to just give me a call to tell me what the hold-up is in my application, given others have their passports and I was basically told I shouldn't have booked my holiday until I had the passport and the chat was terminated!

I didn't book my holiday until I was given an issue date by Passport Express and we're now 2 weeks beyond that date, so I didn't leave too short a gap either.

I just feel really treated shoddily, when this is a service I had to pay extra for, given I left extra time and given others who applied in the same circumstances have their passport long ago without having to spend hours on chat. I just wanted to be treated with a bit of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Would you contacting Pricewatch (Irish Times). He had an article about the hassle of applying for kids passport and your story might tie in with the whole issue. At this stage I think you should explore all possible options. It's a terrible service, I don't care how busy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I'm now properly upset. After nearly 90 minutes bouncing around in the chat queue I finally go through, only to be told the same thing - someone will be on contact 'if' collection is available.

I begged for someone to just give me a call to tell me what the hold-up is in my application, given others have their passports and I was basically told I shouldn't have booked my holiday until I had the passport and the chat was terminated!

I didn't book my holiday until I was given an issue date by Passport Express and we're now 2 weeks beyond that date, so I didn't leave too short a gap either.

I just feel really treated shoddily, when this is a service I had to pay extra for, given I left extra time and given others who applied in the same circumstances have their passport long ago without having to spend hours on chat. I just wanted to be treated with a bit of courtesy.

At this point I would do all 3 of the following:-

- Physically Go to the Passport Office
    - Contact your local TD
    - Contact Conor Pope at Pricewatch for the Irish
    Times.

Thanks meeeh and SusanC. I've sent an email to Conor Pope along with a copy of this morning's chat. It looks like I'll have to travel to the passport office on Monday regardless. I wouldn't have the first clue about contacting a TD, can they really do anything???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Thanks meeeh and SusanC. I've sent an email to Conor Pope along with a copy of this morning's chat. It looks like I'll have to travel to the passport office on Monday regardless. I wouldn't have the first clue about contacting a TD, can they really do anything???
    Some do. My father in law got his passport after contacting local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just an update here, I applied online for a renewal at roughly 7.30pm(ish) yesterday evening, 8th of May.

It has been posted out to me already (9th of May) according to the site at about 445pm today.

I am impressed.

Well impressed.

Passport arrived. :)

So ordered at 1930 on a Tuesday, delivered at 10am on the Friday.

That's 2 working days.

Round of applause for the passport office from me.

That's 2 working days.

Hoping I’ve the same luck.
    Applied yesterday at lunch time, say it will arrive by the 17th flying the 19th
    #sweating
    Did you order a passport book or passport card?

Hoping I’ve the same luck.
    Applied yesterday at lunch time, say it will arrive by the 17th flying the 19th
    #sweating
    Did you order a passport book or passport card?

Book.

I really and truly cannot believe the hassle free experience, and the efficiency of the online renewal system.

It was literally a 15 min job, 10mins to sort photos, and 5mins filling in the online application form.

Book.

I really and truly cannot believe the hassle free experience, and the efficiency of the online renewal system.

It was literally a 15 min job, 10mins to sort photos, and 5mins filling in the online application form.

Totally.
    But my heart goes out to everyone who’s going through the other process and under pressure with dates.
    Two extremes really!

That's 2 working days.

Just out of curiosity what time frame was hq giving you?:)

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity what time frame was hq giving you?:)

They said 21st of May.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I bought the flights already but for one of the ticket holders it would have been useful to hold the ticket until the next day.

The flights are Monday night.

Too soon to hold them ? At least now I understand what was going wrong. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I bought the flights already but for one of the ticket holders it would have been useful to hold the ticket until the next day.

The flights are Monday night.

Too soon to hold them ? At least now I understand what was going wrong. Thanks

Yep, if its within the next 14 days you can't, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dmcgeogs

My kids are American born. My husband and I were both Born in ireland and now live back in Ireland.
    Does anyone know exactly what documents I need to apply for my kids Irish passports. I assume it’s just birth certs from America, parents birth certs and 4 pics but I’m not sure if I need to send in their American passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Check on passport.ie

Check on passport.ie
    I did and it only tells me what I assume I need to send but Someone told me I need to send American passports and someone else told me I didn’t. That’s why I’m asking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Dmcgeogs wrote: »
    I did and it only tells me what I assume I need to send but Someone told me I need to send American passports and someone else told me I didn’t. That’s why I’m asking

Wouldn’t the official website know better than random people you are talking to?

Wouldn’t the official website know better than random people you are talking to?

I’d assume so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’d assume so

They’re very helpful in the passport office. Just to be confident you have everything it may be worth giving them a call.

• Advertisement

I’d assume so

They’re very helpful in the passport office. Just to be confident you have everything it may be worth giving them a call.

Thank you. I’ll call tomorrow. Fingers crossed the phone lines are crazy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement