Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

I sent mine away on May 25th and it showed up as registered on the June 1st and they took the money a few days later but no update since and I cant get through to anyone..

I sent it via standard post as the post office / passport express weren't accepting mastercard.. so didn't really have a choice at the time.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is for the standard post?
    Its been about 7 weeks since i sent it.. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I sent mine away on May 25th and it showed up as registered on the June 1st and they took the money a few days later but no update since and I cant get through to anyone..

I sent it via standard post as the post office / passport express weren't accepting mastercard.. so didn't really have a choice at the time.

I went into the passport office last week with my filled in application form and old passport and after handing it in and paying the fee, I was duly told that my brand spanking new shiny biometric passport will be posted to me on 25 July.

Dont you just love prompt and efficient service for a change. :D

Dont you just love prompt and efficient service for a change. :D

I would if I was experiencing some..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

I sent my passport away for renewal on the 22nd of june and just got it todat - the 15th of july... Just over 4 weeks - I had to cancel holidays because of the dalay tho, but at least I dont have to worry about getting a new one for the next 10 years!! :D:D

tomtom101 wrote: »
    I sent my passport away for renewal on the 22nd of june and just got it todat - the 15th of july... Just over 4 weeks - I had to cancel holidays because of the dalay tho, but at least I dont have to worry about getting a new one for the next 10 years!! :D:D

Did you use the express service? I can't understand why mine is taking so long.. im starting to get a bit worried :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

Has anyone experienced an unprocessed application???

I sent mine off on June 21st and said on the website today that it could not be processed and they are sending a letter out explaining why.

I am going on holidays in 3 weeks.

Does anyone know how I will have to re-apply?? Will they send me everything back and ask me to complete a fresh application and pay another 80euro aswell as a possible 55euro for faster processing???

Please help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Did you use the express service? I can't understand why mine is taking so long.. im starting to get a bit worried :(

Yep, i used the passport express... It takes far longer if u dont use the express!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MacAva wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced an unprocessed application???

I sent mine off on June 21st and said on the website today that it could not be processed and they are sending a letter out explaining why.

I am going on holidays in 3 weeks.

Does anyone know how I will have to re-apply?? Will they send me everything back and ask me to complete a fresh application and pay another 80euro aswell as a possible 55euro for faster processing???

Please help.

If you filled the form out wrong you need to re-apply but will not have to pay again/more unless you use passport express, which you will need if ya wanna get away,

Last time my GF applied she ticked M (Male) instead of F (Female)... (yes I am a bit worried :D ) anyway, she had to re-apply and it took a further 4 weeks to get the passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Van Piercey

Hey guys, I'm looking to go to Amsterdam on the 17th of august but my passport is expired. Just wondering if any of you know how long passport express would take? I'll be sorting it all out tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think its 10 days, though not sure if thats 10 working days or just 10 days

Also not sure if that is accurate anymore since the back log in the PP Office, Id expect if ya sent it tomorrow ya should have it well before your trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

If you walk into the passport office in Cork to hand in your application, you get the same turnaround as Passport Express, so if you're in Cork, don't waste your money on it. Not sure about the Dublin office though.

number10a wrote: »
    If you walk into the passport office in Cork to hand in your application, you get the same turnaround as Passport Express, so if you're in Cork, don't waste your money on it. Not sure about the Dublin office though.

I'm living in Dublin. And another thing, is it true that I have to have the flight details in order to apply for an express passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I'm living in Dublin. And another thing, is it true that I have to have the flight details in order to apply for an express passport?

Give it a go in Dublin anyway - well maybe call them or something rather than going all the way in and finding it's pointless. Unless someone here can answer that one for you. You only need proof of travel if you need an emergency passport in a few days or on the same day. Passport Express needs no proof of travel.

number10a wrote: »
    Give it a go in Dublin anyway - well maybe call them or something rather than going all the way in and finding it's pointless. Unless someone here can answer that one for you. You only need proof of travel if you need an emergency passport in a few days or on the same day. Passport Express needs no proof of travel.

So say if I did apply but didn't get it in time would I still be able to get an emergency passport? Sorry for all the questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I'm in a similar boat (see my previous posts in this thread) except they took the money off me on 15 June (yes over a month ago) yet nothing registered on the system, at least not the last time I talked to them which was on 7 July. I'm gonna call them again tomorrow and my application BETTER be up on the system as I'm due to travel on 2 August.

Otherwise, I will finally start to actually get worried..... may just go into the Molesworth St office on Monday week (my next day off) if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

My passport expires at the end of this week and I have to travel to London in the first week of August. Ryan Air don't accept drivers licences anymore so I'm going to get a new passport form in the morning. What proof do I need to send off with it? A copy of the receipt?

Also, how much is it for a new passport and any idea how much extra they charge you for needing it quickly due to travel plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭MacAva

IPAM wrote: »
    If you filled the form out wrong you need to re-apply but will not have to pay again/more unless you use passport express, which you will need if ya wanna get away,

Last time my GF applied she ticked M (Male) instead of F (Female)... (yes I am a bit worried :D ) anyway, she had to re-apply and it took a further 4 weeks to get the passport

My photographs were too dark and they sent me back a passport express envelope to return new photos in but didnt require a new form or fee or anything. I was told I will not lose my place in the queue.

Just hope I have it by the week after next......

Giles wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat (see my previous posts in this thread) except they took the money off me on 15 June (yes over a month ago) yet nothing registered on the system, at least not the last time I talked to them which was on 7 July. I'm gonna call them again tomorrow and my application BETTER be up on the system as I'm due to travel on 2 August.

Otherwise, I will finally start to actually get worried..... may just go into the Molesworth St office on Monday week (my next day off) if that's the case.

I finally got through to them.. they said it is taking 8-10 weeks and that mine hadn't moved on from the registered phase yet! But I said I was travelling on the 13th of August so she made a note of that and said I should have it by then.. and if I hadn't heard from them by the end of july to get back in touch!

And the money being taken doesn't mean anything.. they just take it first so they can block out all your credit card details for security reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Monstergaga

Hi, not sure if this in the correct thread, sorry.
    Im travelling to Portugal on 1st of Aug to 11th of Aug and my passport is expired on the 30th of Aug.
    Ive just read on Dept of Foreign Affairs website that Some countries now insist that your passport be valid for up to six months after your departure,

Does anyone know where i could find this list of countries? I can seem to find it anywhere on their website! Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Portugal[...]

Some countries now insist that your passport be valid for up to six months after your departure

*sigh* Why does an official place publish such incomplete information and also, why do people never bother to read older posts on this thread? As has been stated numerous times, anywhere within the EU, by law, a EU passport or identity card is valid for travel until the very last day of its validity. No further validity conditions can be imposed by any member country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

There's a ginormous thread at the top here where this should have gone. Anyway if you send it by Passport Express today you will get it back in time, if it hasn't arrived on the Wednesday before you travel then ring up and check it's status and be prepared to go in with your flight ticket and they'll have it for you in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

IPAM wrote: »

Sorry to be nitpicking, but a passport application would NEVER be sent back for that reason.

For anyone worried, the only reasons a whole new form would be needed (for an adult) is if you didn't sign the back page, or if your photographs weren't witnessed by a Garda.

Sorry to be nitpicking, but a passport application would NEVER be sent back for that reason.

For anyone worried, the only reasons a whole new form would be needed (for an adult) is if you didn't sign the back page, or if your photographs weren't witnessed by a Garda.

It was so...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 emkm

Hi, could someone please give me advice molesworth street & how long would I have to queue, hopin to get there before 9.30 on wednesday.
    I need my passport renewed as travelling in 2 weeks-will they have it ready in this time?? Will they require proof of travel? Would appreciate it anyone has up to date info on this. Need passport urgently! :)

emkm wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please give me advice molesworth street & how long would I have to queue, hopin to get there before 9.30 on wednesday.
    I need my passport renewed as travelling in 2 weeks-will they have it ready in this time?? Will they require proof of travel? Would appreciate it anyone has up to date info on this. Need passport urgently! :)

Definately bring proof of travel.. not sure how long the queues are down to.. someone on this thread said 1-2 hours.. but thats gonig back a few weeks

Thanks, yeah I thought proof would be essential but have not got that yet! Howd you think I get on without it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

emkm wrote: »
    Howd you think I get on without it?:rolleyes:

No chance you will get a passport that quickly without proof of travel. Technically, if you do not have proof, you could easily make some by booking the cheapest Ryanair flight you can find. If you used a shopping center gift card to avoid credit card fees and opted out of all extras, you should be able to get a flight to the UK for less than €10. But of course I do not recommend you cheat the passport office like that. It may be illegal for all I know.

Funny i already bought cheap ticket, great minds and all that....will let you know how I get on!! Here's hopin:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

ANyone know what the situation with the passport office is these days, I've not heard anything about it in a while. My girlfriend and I are due to be going to london for a weekend away mid august but she only realised last weekend that her passport is expired, if its gonna take 4/5 weeks we wont be able to go.

Any help is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

sugarman wrote: »
    As above in my last post, it only took me 18 days, 10 working days to get mine through passport express.

If your only going to London though you dont require a passport!

Unfortunately I booked it with ryanair who require the passport for travel to England, I was thinking about going up and queuing but if it only took you the 10 working days we should be fine, I think i might included travel dates just in case. Will send it off tmw in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement