Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I didn't book my holiday until I was given an issue date by Passport Express and we're now 2 weeks beyond that date, so I didn't leave too short a gap either.

I just feel really treated shoddily, when this is a service I had to pay extra for, given I left extra time and given others who applied in the same circumstances have their passport long ago without having to spend hours on chat. I just wanted to be treated with a bit of courtesy.

What did you pay extra for? Passport express is the default not a premium service. It's not extra.

Log on to whoismytd.com and get your TDs' details. Pick one and contact their office by phone or email. Don't send to multiple tds as that will potentially cause delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Caranica wrote: »
    What did you pay extra for? Passport express is the default not a premium service. It's not extra.

Log on to whoismytd.com and get your TDs' details. Pick one and contact their office by phone or email. Don't send to multiple tds as that will potentially cause delays.

Exactly. Between Passport Express and applying via an appointment, Passport Express is the cheaper of the two options. Had you made an appointment to lodge your kids passports you would have had them in time for travel. Applying via appointment is the premium service. You pay extra, but you.'re guaranteed to get your passport in a given time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

You have to pay an extra 9.50 on top of the passport price, which is what I was referring to. And online applications are cheaper and quicker than postal, which I would have preferred, but that's not an option for kids. It's not a cost that will break the bank obviously, but that's not the point.

Given that I checked the turn-around time was advised as 15 days before I applied, given that I was issued with the date of the 27th of April once I applied it's not unreasonable to think that I would have my passport by now, as nearly double the time has elapsed.

If I had been aware that I could pay extra for an appointment and be issued with the passport there and then, I would have taken it, especially seeing as I've travelled over 4 hours to Dublin and back this morning and still don't have the passport. The impression given was that the appointment system was more for emergency or last minute applications, which mine didn't seem to be before I applied. But next time I won't be taking an chances!

I am trying my best to get the situation sorted and am hopefully it will be but that does not preclude me from expressing frustration and disappointment at how the service is operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Caranica wrote: »

Pretty ridiculous in modern times to be using TDs in this manner and that they actually do it.

I can't understand why the issues aren't dealt with or managed in a timely manner. Surely if they can get online renewals done in a couple of days they could redirect some of the resources to ensure that the time frame on other applications which you can't do online don't spiral out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Am I doing something wrong with the dfa.ie website? When I click on webchat it asks for passport application number and goes to tracking. Their phones lines are closed too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Natibaby wrote: »
    Am I doing something wrong with the dfa.ie website? When I click on webchat it asks for passport application number and goes to tracking. Their phones lines are closed too.

I’ve been trying webchat all day and just get a message telling me all operators are busy. I haven’t tried phone lines as I read here they are rarely answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dologhli

First-time passport application for my infant daughter submitted 26 March, estimated dispatch per the tracker was 9 May [32 weekdays, less Easter+MayBankHol = 29 working days; when I submitted, turnaround page said 25...]

That date came and went, still "processing" this morning. Last Thurs (10th) I got through on webchat (after several hours of "too busy" and then 2x "500 internal server error") where an agent noted our travel date of this Sat. Was gearing up for a trip to Mount Street this afternoon when I received a call to tell me application was approved and would be dispatched tomorrow.

The next time I apply for a first-time passport, I will be going the passport appointment route and not passport express. I thought 8 weeks in advance would comfortably allow for any slippage given the 25 working day estimate at the time of my application, won't make that mistake again.

For anyone who is waiting, I'd suggest making contact as soon as your estimated dispatch day arrives if it's still "processing" and let them know. The agent I was in touch with said he noted the travel dates on the file and emailed the responsible team.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dologhli

Natibaby wrote: »

The webchat link on the contact page (the page with the three Email/Webchat/Telephone pictures) actually links directly to the tracker and NOT the webchat... Click on the webchat link on the same page as the tracker results and you'll get a popup window.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Ok so I didn't contact a TD in the end as couldn't bring myself to in the grand scheme of all that's going on atm, but happily I got the passport today.

Got a lift to Dublin on Monday and took a ticket for enquiries. Very nice woman on the counter looked at my application and was able to tell me that after I contacted customer care on Friday (3rd web chat) my application fnally left the queue and was currently in Balbriggan for checking. She said it should be ready for collection on Thursday (day before travel). She said she would note on my account if it could possibly be done by Wednesday, as I'd have someone to collect for me on Tuesday/Wednesday but Thursday would require me to come up again (another 4 hour trip). I was to be called when the passport was ready for collection. Sat by the phone all the rest of the day. The phonecall never came, but Monday evening I saw online that my I had finally moved from processing to printing and that night the passport was with An Post. It arrived this morning.

I am hugely relieved and don't know if it was the trip to Dublin that helped or not, but honestly dealing face-to-face with the office staff and being told exactly what was happening and when it should arrive was that little bit of reassurance that I was looking for during this process.

Btw for anyone having problems with webchat, I managed to get through 3 times, although I was bumped around in the queue and waited for up to 90mins a time, yet my husband could never even get into the queue, so there may be some issues there. And as far as I can tell the phone lines seem to be shut down altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Hi,
    Those advising to contact a local TD, What information do you need to give them and who do they contact? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

enumbers wrote: »
    Hi,
    Those advising to contact a local TD, What information do you need to give them and who do they contact? Thanks

Proof of travel, application number and name, address and date of birth usually. You may have to complete a form giving them the right to make enquiries on your behalf.

Lots of government departments, agencies and public/private companies have parliamentary affairs contacts.

Great thanks a mil, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jtac

Wonder if anyone could offer any advice
    Applied for my sons first passport in April and renewed my own. Mine was done online and my sons through passport express. My own passport had an issue date of May 8th, but a few days beforehand they emailed to say my photo hadn’t been approved and I needed to submit another (although my partner had his photo taken the same time as me ,submitted his application the same day too and his was approved and received on the issue date!)
    Anyway I went and had another photo done,different place, again it wasn’t approved. So I submitted a third photo and finally this one was approved.On Friday the tracker finally updated to printing.
    My sons passport had an issue date of 25th May,the date we travel. It has been processing for 4 weeks now (at the time I was told in the post office it would take up to 3 weeks!) and is moving very slowly on the tracker.
    Can’t get through on the phones. I finally got through to them on web chat after trying for days and they have “noted” our dates but weren’t much help. Have been in touch with my local TD who says he is on it but tbh I don’t think he’s doing much!
    Where do I go from here? We fly out this Friday so I’ve only 4 days to get them sorted.
    I’ve never had any issues with any of our passports before so a bit clueless to the process really.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sela

jtac wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone could offer any advice
    Applied for my sons first passport in April and renewed my own. Mine was done online and my sons through passport express. My own passport had an issue date of May 8th, but a few days beforehand they emailed to say my photo hadn’t been approved and I needed to submit another (although my partner had his photo taken the same time as me ,submitted his application the same day too and his was approved and received on the issue date!)
    Anyway I went and had another photo done,different place, again it wasn’t approved. So I submitted a third photo and finally this one was approved.On Friday the tracker finally updated to printing.
    My sons passport had an issue date of 25th May,the date we travel. It has been processing for 4 weeks now (at the time I was told in the post office it would take up to 3 weeks!) and is moving very slowly on the tracker.
    Can’t get through on the phones. I finally got through to them on web chat after trying for days and they have “noted” our dates but weren’t much help. Have been in touch with my local TD who says he is on it but tbh I don’t think he’s doing much!
    Where do I go from here? We fly out this Friday so I’ve only 4 days to get them sorted.
    I’ve never had any issues with any of our passports before so a bit clueless to the process really.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.TIA

Am in a similar situation with daughters passport. Travelling on Thursday and estimated issue date was today. Status bar is now full but still says processing. Have been on webchat and in touch with local TD. No guarantees been given anywhere.
    Strange thing is the status updates have been updated every 2 or so hours (assume automatically) but this hasn't been done since Friday now. Can collect up until 1st thing Thursday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I renewed mine online a couple of weeks ago, started the process on a Tuesday at lunchtime.
    I checked the tracker the next day and I was a little confused as the status bar was at 75% and it said it was printing.
    It arrived in the post on the Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jtac

Sela wrote: »
    Am in a similar situation with daughters passport. Travelling on Thursday and estimated issue date was today. Status bar is now full but still says processing. Have been on webchat and in touch with local TD. No guarantees been given anywhere.
    Strange thing is the status updates have been updated every 2 or so hours (assume automatically) but this hasn't been done since Friday now. Can collect up until 1st thing Thursday morning

I noticed that too that the tracker hasn’t been updating as frequently. Mines still stuck on a time from Friday morning. Sorry to see your having hassle too. Really hope you manage to get sorted by Thursday!

Been onto the webchat team again this morning. Not much help at all. As of this morning my passport is printed apparently, it will be posted in a day or two (not today like seeing as it’s done and urgent!) Fingers crossed.

My sons passport however, still no difference. It is still at the processing stage even though it has an issue date of this Friday and the web chat team haven’t been too helpful.
    All they say is first time applications can take longer and that the phone/webchat teams can only informing the issuing officer of travel times. No advice on what to or where to go from here.

I’ve emailed the update to my TD but other than that I don’t know what to do. No point in ringing them cause even if I get through I imagine I’ll be told the same as webchat.
    Don’t know wether to go in there myself or not and take a ticket and wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Emergency passport...can you go to Dublin passport office and get one on the day ? Needed for travel on Monday. Have all relevant documents..can't get thru to office..do you need appointment thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

From DFA
    Can I get my passport today?
    In the case of an emergency situation (the death or serious illness of a family member, or for emergency medical treatment of the applicant) we can issue your passport on the day.

Additionally a Pilot Rapid Renewal service has been introduced in the Passport Office in Knockmaun House, 42-47, Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2. This will facilitate where possible and by appointment only, the renewal of a passport for an Adult or Child Travelling in less than 3 working days. This service is available only through the Dublin office. A first time Adult or Child applicant cannot avail of this service.

If you wish to make an appointment for the Rapid Renewal Passport Service visit www.passportappointments.ie. In all other circumstances, it will take a minimum of 3 working days to issue a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Trying to get an update on our son's passport which was applied for start of April.
    It was due a week ago and still at this date in the online tracker.
    Rang the contact number a few times today. Busy each time.
    Webchat also no good.
    Tried email but sure that'll be no good.

Anyone else manage to get through to them?

gaius c wrote: »
    Trying to get an update on our son's passport which was applied for start of April.
    It was due a week ago and still at this date in the online tracker.
    Rang the contact number a few times today. Busy each time.
    Webchat also no good.
    Tried email but sure that'll be no good.

Anyone else manage to get through to them?

Was on online chat 1st thing this morning. When are you due to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

9th June. Seems like a bit of time but it's concerning that we can't get through to them.

Try online chat at bang on 9. All they'll do is note your travel dates but no harm them having that info.

@jtac
    My OH went in to office today and was told we are on a priority list now and should have passport by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I am going to Barcelona shortly and I am wondering what would happen if my passport was lost or stolen while I was there.

Looking at the Dept of Foreign Affairs' website, getting an emergency travel document seems to be major hassle and takes a lot of time.

Assuming I have a photocopy of the passport and have a police report, would that be enough to get me through security at Barcelona airport and get me onto the plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

No passport/travel document = no flight.

Speaking from experience do not lose your passport abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How to never have this happen (inter EU):
    1. Get a passport card
    2. Never keep the two together

simples.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Afaik you would need to go to the Irish consulate (assuming you have Irish passport) to get issued an emergency travel document so you can get on the flight. I've known this to happen to someone in Amsterdam, they had to travel to The Hague to pick up a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Thanks for the replies. Good to know. I must be extra careful in Barcelona, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Get a passport card as well. Normally only takes a few days. You can apply online tonight. Keep them separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The only way you'll lose it is if you allow yourself to, so, never use it as an ID on a night out or somewhere you're at risk of forgetting or dropping it, when you get to Barcelona put it in the safe/ a safe place and don't touch it until you're leaving.

• Advertisement

Sela, Did he go in without an appointment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement