Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our passport renewals (sent in time) are showing issue dates the day before and the day we are due to travel. They are both at about 75% processing. What do I do? We are close enough to Dublin to go into the office if that helps? Does contacting a TD help? I have proof of travel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Our passport renewals (sent in time) are showing issue dates the day before and the day we are due to travel. They are both at about 75% processing. What do I do? We are close enough to Dublin to go into the office if that helps? Does contacting a TD help? I have proof of travel

Contact TD, it will help. The parliamentary affairs people in the passport office will do their best, with high success rates. Once TD submits enquiry passport service will contact you directly with an update usually within 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I am going to Barcelona shortly and I am wondering what would happen if my passport was lost or stolen while I was there.

Looking at the Dept of Foreign Affairs' website, getting an emergency travel document seems to be major hassle and takes a lot of time.

Assuming I have a photocopy of the passport and have a police report, would that be enough to get me through security at Barcelona airport and get me onto the plane?

You'd have to get from Barcelona to the embassy in Madrid (or whoever the nearest consulate to Barcelona is) and ask them to issue an emergency passport or one-use emergency travel certificate to get you back to Ireland

Basically don't lose your passport while abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LeiNiC

Hi,

Does the contact number for the passport office in Dublin actually work? I have tried to call them several times over the lass few weeks and it keeps telling me the lines are too busy. I tried the webchat but it is forever in the agents are busy stage - I need to contact them about what time to collect my passport, but will only be in Dublin the morning it is due to be collected and the receipt says it is available for collection only after 2:30 normally - any tips?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

LeiNiC wrote: »
    Hi,

Does the contact number for the passport office in Dublin actually work? I have tried to call them several times over the lass few weeks and it keeps telling me the lines are too busy. I tried the webchat but it is forever in the agents are busy stage - I need to contact them about what time to collect my passport, but will only be in Dublin the morning it is due to be collected and the receipt says it is available for collection only after 2:30 normally - any tips?

Thanks
    In our experience you won't get through on the phones at all ! So frustrating...depends when you applied for it...if it's rapid renewal service they don't give them out until afternoon...if it's an emergency you need proof but go and plead your case..depends who you talk to in my opinion..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Emergency passport...can you go to Dublin passport office and get one on the day ? Needed for travel on Monday. Have all relevant documents..can't get thru to office..do you need appointment thanks in advance..

Just an update....we finally got an appointment on line after trying all day...no joy on phones or weekday...disaster of a service...he went up to Dublin explained situation and was issued one at 4pm...

LeiNiC wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

If you lodged your application via the counter, your passport will be available for collection after 2:30 on the collection date on the receipt. This should’ve been explained to you at your appointment when you lodged your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tyrone Shoes

Is anyone out there with similar issue and knew how to solve it?

No option to use the online application because for a toddler's passport application you are forced to use the passport express system.

Application for renewal of passport was sent: 06-April-2018
    Passport tracking states - received 09-April-2018 - progressing
    However the date of flights booked 28 -May -2018 and no passport has arrived!

- No answer from phone line - continually goes to voice mail
    - No answer from online e-mail query option
    - Web - chat function is Not functioning - due to 'high volume of chats'
    - E-mail is not proving any use either

How is there so many ways to contact the DFA and yet none of them function? :(
    Has anyone out there done or know how to do anything differently in order to get their passport when flights are already booked but their passport was stuck in processing?

Any advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Is anyone out there with similar issue and knew how to solve it?

No option to use the online application because for a toddler's passport application you are forced to use the passport express system.

Application for renewal of passport was sent: 06-April-2018
    Passport tracking states - received 09-April-2018 - progressing
    However the date of flights booked 28 -May -2018 and no passport has arrived!

- No answer from phone line - continually goes to voice mail
    - No answer from online e-mail query option
    - Web - chat function is Not functioning - due to 'high volume of chats'
    - E-mail is not proving any use either

How is there so many ways to contact the DFA and yet none of them function? :(
    Has anyone out there done or know how to do anything differently in order to get their passport when flights are already booked but their passport was stuck in processing?

Any advice much appreciated!

Lots of people have similar issues if you go over recent posts. You are leaving it very tight so I would contact your td or go to the passport office today if you are anywhere close enough and hope some will be able to do something. Print your travel documents. Whatever you are doing do it today and as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi all, my husband uses a passport card to fly to/from Europe on business. He is currently over there on business. His actual passport he lost over a year ago. He needs an actual passport for something soon so he applied online and it came very quickly in the post last week. When he left Ireland he used his passport card and that was before he applied for the new passport. Now he is due to fly back to Ireland this weekend but in the meantime he applied for, and received a new actual passport (posted to irish address so it's here with me in Ireland)
    My question is: is there a risk his passport card that he is travelling with won't work when he tries to fly back to Ireland this weekend?!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

yes his passport card will have been invalidated when he applied for new passport.

He may get on the plane alright (depending on where flying from) but run into issues in immigration upon return.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Riskymove wrote: »
    He may get on the plane alright (depending on where flying from) but run into issues in immigration upon return.
    I lost my passport in Reykjavik airport once and only discovered this when I got to passport control at Dublin. They let me through no bother as long as I could identify myself by other means, in this case a driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lucuma wrote: »
    Hi all, my husband uses a passport card to fly to/from Europe on business. He is currently over there on business. His actual passport he lost over a year ago.

It was extremely foolish of him to continue to use the card when the passport was lost because if someone found that passport and handed it in to a Garda station, it would have have been cancelled on the system along with any passport card issued to the same person. You can't hold a valid card without a full, current passport.

Only an airline employee looks at your passport when you fly out of Dublin so he wouldn't have had a problem on departure but on arrival to Budapest or Milan, he could have been told by immigration that his card was cancelled by the Irish authorities so he would have been detained and sent back on the next flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

This post has been deleted.

Seconded....Your passport card is valid to your book passport expiry date at application, not whether you lose it or not.

For instance you might have to replace your main passport early to fly somewhere you need at least 6 months remaining, your passport card remains valid till its expiry date. Confirmed after a great many calls to the DFA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Seconded....Your passport card is valid to your book passport expiry date at application, not whether you lose it or not.

ok thanks

in our case it seems the person chose to renew both at same time so that is why they were told both would be invalid

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nikolett

Hi
    I sent in my passport application via passport express,but forgot to include one of the documents they wanted!!!
    Can I send it seperately with passport express again quoting my application form number???

TIA

Hi guys,

My passport has been stolen in a burglary, I reported it to my local Garda station in Storestreet.

When it comes to getting a new one , the process seems very confusing as I am getting different information from different sources.

Should I apply online or via passport express (I have holidays in September)? Do I report it to the passport office as well? I tried to ring them but they weren’t answering due to the high volume of calls.

I have the form waiting to be signed by the Gardai saying my passport was stolen, an original copy of my birth certificate and two household utility bills.

Do I need to provide all this stuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

Losing your Irish passport in Ireland

If you are an Irish citizen living in Ireland and you have lost your Irish passport, or it has been stolen, you must report the loss of your passport to the Passport Office immediately. You will also need to report the loss or theft to the Garda Síochána. You will be asked to confirm the loss in writing or, if you are applying for a new passport, to include the details in your application.

You can either apply online for a replacement or on paper, (using form APS 1). You must give the circumstances of the loss in Section 6 of the form. You can obtain an APS 1 form from your nearest Garda Station or Post Office. This form must be witnessed/countersigned by a member of An Garda Síochána, who must also sign and stamp Section 6.

You must resubmit all the supporting documents required with a normal first-time passport application to the Passport Office. These documents include the full long form birth certificate, a marriage/civil partnership certificate (if applicable) and 4 passport-sized photographs. You can read more about how to apply for a passport in our document on applying for your first Irish passport.

Hi ,

Thanks a million, I saw that but it does't really answer the specifics.

(1). How does one report their passport stolen if they wont answer the phone?

(2). Are you supposed to provide your original birth certificate and if so , do you get it back?

(3). What exactly are you supposed to confirm in writing , there is a section on the form asking for the explanation of the theft do you need to add a letter of explanation?

(4). Where exactly do you take all this supporting documentation , do you lob it in an envelope and take it to passport express or do you physically have to go in to the passport office?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi ,

Thanks a million, I saw that but it does't really answer the specifics.

(1). How does one report their passport stolen if they wont answer the phone?

Write and quote the Garda case number? I doubt they would accept a phone call as notification. A phone call could be from anyone.
    (2). Are you supposed to provide your original birth certificate and if so , do you get it back?

full long form birth certificate

and yes, you get it back.
    (3). What exactly are you supposed to confirm in writing , there is a section on the form asking for the explanation of the theft do you need to add a letter of explanation?

Stolen in burglary - see Garda report number...
    (4). Where exactly do you take all this supporting documentation , do you lob it in an envelope and take it to passport express or do you physically have to go in to the passport office?

Passport Express is just a plastic envelope in the Post Office.
    I would be registering it if I were you, or going into the Office myself to make sure everything was correct, but you may choose to just use Passport Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Looking for some advice. OH submitted 1 x renewal passport and 1 x first time passport for our two kids, posted on 17 April through Passport Express. Unfortunately we've lost the tracking number.

No sign of passports and we're flying on 1st June. As others have said, seems near impossible to contact the Passport office by any means. Have sent details to our local TD today, but I'm wondering if I should also go to the customer care desk at the Passport office on Monday and see if I can figure out what is going on?

What is the backstop option, if any - is there such thing as an emergency passport if you've already submitted an application?

hoody wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. OH submitted 1 x renewal passport and 1 x first time passport for our two kids, posted on 17 April through Passport Express. Unfortunately we've lost the tracking number.

No sign of passports and we're flying on 1st June. As others have said, seems near impossible to contact the Passport office by any means. Have sent details to our local TD today, but I'm wondering if I should also go to the customer care desk at the Passport office on Monday and see if I can figure out what is going on?

What is the backstop option, if any - is there such thing as an emergency passport if you've already submitted an application?

No there's no emergency option if you've already applied by passport express.

It's worth calling in to customer care to see if they can locate the applications and advise you of what stage they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 penguinbaby

Hi,

My Husbands passport is out of date by eight years and we have to supply the passport office with all the documents we would need if applying for a new passport including a Public Services Card. He went into the intero office last week to apply for one and they looked for a current passport as he born in Canada (this parents moved to canada when his mum was pregnenat with him and stayed for a year and then moved home again). They have send the application for approval but said they cannot guarantee he will be approved or how long it will take. I then emailed the passport office explaining the suituation and their reply was to send in the application with a note saying that we would send on the PSC when we recieved it? They ignored my question about what could we do if he was refused the card and what documentation we could send in its place. Just wondering if anyone else have had an issue getting a PSC card for their passport application and if so how it was resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Send the note in to the passport office saying you'll send on the psc card when you get it. They will issue you with a passport. You can then use this passport to get the psc card. Then send the psc card to passport office. Hope that makes sense.

Hi Gerard2110,
    Thanks for your reply, Do you think they will issue the passport without getting the PSC card first? Im applying for passports for my 2 kids also and i think they meant to get the applications in and send on the psc card when we recieve it, then then they would issure the passport once they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Yes, I think they will so you can apply for the psc. The fact he had a passport in the past should help. The kids may complicate things. Email them and ask if the passport will be issued before you send in the ps card.

fxotoole wrote: »
    No there's no emergency option if you've already applied by passport express.

It's worth calling in to customer care to see if they can locate the applications and advise you of what stage they're at.

Thanks for this. Will be calling in there tomorrow (driving up from Galway) as we've worked ourselves up into a total state of anxiety now. Does anyone know what the average turnaround time for first time applications through Passport Express was showing as around mid April?

Thanks a mill, will email them in the morn and ask. Cheers.

• Advertisement

hoody wrote: »

Have just realized we did not submit one of our passports with the youngest's first time passport application! How worried should we be about making our flight on Saturday - I am planning to be at the passport office first thing tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement