Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Anyone receive a first time passport recently?

We're waiting 35 working days so far (estimated issue date 11/05 is long gone). Any real life examples of how long it will take. Website saying 32 days

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

sept09baby wrote: »

We're waiting 35 working days so far (estimated issue date 11/05 is long gone). Any real life examples of how long it will take. Website saying 32 days

Our application was received the 28th March and got the passport on 18th May. Think the date on the website was 09/05. Get onto the online chat. That's what I did and they took my travel date. Got a call 30 mins later to say were cleared for printing. The online chat isn't always available so might have to keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Land of Hearts Desire

sept09baby wrote: »

We made a first time application on 17/04/2018. The estimated issue date was 21/05/2018. Our application status updated to printing today. Our travel date is 31/05/2018. In my opinion the date of travel determines your place in the queue for first time applications.

I also put in a request through my local TD last week to have the application expedited as I was unable to get in contact directly with the passport office. I'm not sure if this even helped as our travel dates were this week regardless.

The most frustrating part of the application process is the lack of communication. None of the communication avenues have been working for the last two weeks. The online tracking does not have enough stages. It has been 'processing' for the last 6 weeks. Surely they could add a few more stages and update the estimated issue date as the application is being processed.

I would advise anyone making a first time application for a date of travel within the next two months to make an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

We made a first time application on 17/04/2018. The estimated issue date was 21/05/2018. Our application status updated to printing today. Our travel date is 31/05/2018. In my opinion the date of travel determines your place in the queue for first time applications.

I also put in a request through my local TD last week to have the application expedited as I was unable to get in contact directly with the passport office. I'm not sure if this even helped as our travel dates were this week regardless.

The most frustrating part of the application process is the lack of communication. None of the communication avenues have been working for the last two weeks. The online tracking does not have enough stages. It has been 'processing' for the last 6 weeks. Surely they could add a few more stages and update the estimated issue date as the application is being processed.

I would advise anyone making a first time application for a date of travel within the next two months to make an appointment.

The online tracking used to have more stages but they redesigned it to be less informative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mvrce

I did passport express for 2 renewals it was due to be processed today 28th I fly out Saturday is it possible to go to office in morning as I'm worried they will take too long in post I have rang and emailed and no responses from either or live chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

They wont see you unless your flight is within 24hrs of your appointment book on thursday afternoon for friday morning it only takes about 4 hrs to get an emmergency passport issued you'll be fine once you have everything in order. Post is quick though you might get it thursday or friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If people do that there won't be appointments available for the people who genuinely need them. Apply in good time, and it should be ok. First time applications have extra security checks so take longer.

Any adults renewing should renew online, it's by far the fastest way. By the end of the year you'll be able to renew children's passports online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

OP you do not need an appointment to make an enquiry in the Passport Office. Call in to them at any time and take a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

I submitted express passport application around same time end April, included a childs first passport, adult & child renewals. the estimated date showing as 25th May it is still in 'processing application' state. guess you have visited passport office by now so this no longer useful for you. good luck with passports & enjoy trip

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Soquest

Hi, when you have appointment with passport office are they strict with proof of traveling within 15 working days? My appointment is made for about 18 working days before travel but traveling to Dublin and it was the only day I could get off work in line with an available appointment.

Don’t want to go the whole way to the passport office and be told come back in a few days.

Also, regarding my 4 year old child’s photograph, his head is face on but his eyes are looking slightly off camera. Does anyone know if that will be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Soquest wrote: »
    Hi, when you have appointment with passport office are they strict with proof of traveling within 15 working days? My appointment is made for about 18 working days before travel but traveling to Dublin and it was the only day I could get off work in line with an available appointment.

Don’t want to go the whole way to the passport office and be told come back in a few days.

Also, regarding my 4 year old child’s photograph, his head is face on but his eyes are looking slightly off camera. Does anyone know if that will be a problem.
    I didn't even bring my travel documents. They just asked me if I need it 5 working days or whatever is the more expensive passport and once I didn't need that one they didn't care.

I don't know about the photo, I have photos of my daughter where she is barely visible so I think they are not that strict for kids photos. But I had to have my photo done three times once because they were very strict in the embassy (I don't have Irish passport, kids do).

Any updates on current wait times?
    Passport was expected in 18th May, and there have been no updates since.

Chat is down.

The phone goes direct to a message saying they can’t take a call. Better than being out on hold indefinitely.

They responded to email query with a standard reply to check the tracker.

The system seems to be working very poorly at the moment.

Not travelling for another few weeks, but I thought I had applied in plenty of time to avoid this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jmcgold

Waldo99 wrote: »
    Any updates on current wait times?
    Passport was expected in 18th May, and there have been no updates since.

Chat is down.

The phone goes direct to a message saying they can’t take a call. Better than being out on hold indefinitely.

They responded to email query with a standard reply to check the tracker.

The system seems to be working very poorly at the moment.

Not travelling for another few weeks, but I thought I had applied in plenty of time to avoid this crap.

I applied for a new passport for my infant son on April 9th which was received by the passport office on April 10th.

Current wait time for first time issue via passport express is 34 working days according to the DFA website, but I was on working day 36 before it went to printing - the website had an estimate of 25 working days when I submitted my application.

A few posters have said, and I am inclined to agree, that they are prioritising applications for people who have a travel date within the next 3 days; I am due to travel on June 2nd.

I had been in touch with the passport office three times over the previous two weeks and was told that the request had been expedited but, given that there were no details on the passport tracker beyond "processing", I was worried that I would run out of time to rectify any potential issues in the application so I contacted my local TD; the passport was printed 3 working days later.

I am not sure whether the passport would have been issued regardless, but the TD route does seem to be effective if you are getting tight on time. Not something I like doing as I believe they should be allowed to focus on national issues, but needs must.

Regarding contacting the passport office, set aside an hour or so and just keep ringing the number. You will get the "due to the high volume of calls..." message several times before you eventually get put in a call queue, which you are likely to be on for around 30 minutes. I will say that the staff there try to be as helpful as they can under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

We sent in 1 first time and 2 kids renewals that were received on 1st May for travelling on 1st July. We omitted a piece of documentation so Went into Mount St. This week after not being able to contact them. We provided the info and were told to come back again a couple of weeks before we travel to get passports prioritised, which means that even having applied nearly 9 weeks before travel we have already been told that they won't be ready.

jmcgold wrote: »
    I applied for a new passport for my infant son on April 9th which was received by the passport office on April 10th.

Current wait time for first time issue via passport express is 34 working days according to the DFA website, but I was on working day 36 before it went to printing - the website had an estimate of 25 working days when I submitted my application.

A few posters have said, and I am inclined to agree, that they are prioritising applications for people who have a travel date within the next 3 days; I am due to travel on June 2nd.

I had been in touch with the passport office three times over the previous two weeks and was told that the request had been expedited but, given that there were no details on the passport tracker beyond "processing", I was worried that I would run out of time to rectify any potential issues in the application so I contacted my local TD; the passport was printed 3 working days later.

I am not sure whether the passport would have been issued regardless, but the TD route does seem to be effective if you are getting tight on time. Not something I like doing as I believe they should be allowed to focus on national issues, but needs must.

Regarding contacting the passport office, set aside an hour or so and just keep ringing the number. You will get the "due to the high volume of calls..." message several times before you eventually get put in a call queue, which you are likely to be on for around 30 minutes. I will say that the staff there try to be as helpful as they can under the circumstances.

Thanks for the Information. I’ll keep trying to get some up to date status from them. I don’t fancy contacting my TD - Not how the system should operate.

you need to be on chat refreshing when it opens at 9am. I got on yesterday at 9.01 and was 23rd in the queue!! Had to wait over 40 minutes to get through but eventually got someone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Passport issuing in Ireland is a farce. My wife is Spanish and one time when visiting Spain with her the immigration officer on arrival said there was an issue with the passport (in bad condition) and she would need to renew it.

Being used to the way we do things here I was snapping, I thought we would be spending days trying to get the passport done.

Long story short, she booked an appointment online for the next day, we went to the appointment and less than 10 mins after being called she walked out with the still warm passport in hand. All done for less than €30. And that is the standard service, was not an emergency appointment etc.

Here, it takes 6 weeks, and if you pay extra for the "express" service it takes up to 15 working days lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Any idea what the online turnaround time is at the moment? Paper the other day said it was 7 days I think but think that could be a bit optimistic!

Depends on what type of application. They're saying 2 weeks for online applications which are the quickest https://www.dfa.ie/passporttracking/turnaroundtimes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Dovies wrote: »
    Any idea what the online turnaround time is at the moment? Paper the other day said it was 7 days I think but think that could be a bit optimistic!

Going by people posting on the thread, 7 days seems to be spot on for online renewals. I think the passport office are saying 2 weeks to give themselves a bit of breathing room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tzardine wrote: »
    Here, it takes 6 weeks, and if you pay extra for the "express" service it takes up to 15 working days lol.

You do not pay extra for the express service. Passport "Express" is the STANDARD service. The only way to pay less is to renew online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Caranica wrote: »
    You do not pay extra for the express service. Passport "Express" is the STANDARD service. The only way to pay less is to renew online.

Been a while since I had to renew my passport. Aside from online, is passport express still not a thing through the post office where you pay extra for a faster (15 working days) service?

Caranica wrote: »

It's still very poor service. I had to renew my non Irish passport and got it in one day, it would be the same day if I did it before 12 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

I completed the online application last night. Checked this morning on the tracker and it said that passport was being printed. A short while ago, it was further updated to say passport was dispatched. Presumably I will get the passport tomorrow.

To be fair, that is pretty good service.

Update: Passport received this morning, 36 hours since completing online application.

sylvanb wrote: »
    I completed the online application last night. Checked this morning on the tracker and it said that passport was being printed. A short while ago, it was further updated to say passport was dispatched. Presumably I will get the passport tomorrow.

To be fair, that is pretty good service.
    For some who can do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Do most online applicants take the photograph themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

I used the photo booth in the local Tesco €8 for the photos. , gives you a code to enter on the passport website plus the photos printed. This way, you have the certainty of knowing that it will pass the validation checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

chinwag wrote: »
    Do most online applicants take the photograph themselves?

We took the photo ourselves on the tablet.

First couple didn't work, due to shadows but just took another photo against a white hallway door and it worked.

It was really quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 marc antonio

Renewal for one adult and children in sine May 8th and estimate May 30th (not changed since) Web chat no help said they would email to go on priority list. Travelling June 12th but need visas too.
    Any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ours are printed and in the post thank god. Contacted the local td last Monday and my husband called in today. We travel next Thursday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement