Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

passport tracker is now showing my application as 'dispatched'
    ax530 wrote: »
    I submitted applications in April, estimated date given 25th May concerned they would require additional information (as changing 1 to a common name another is a first time applicant) and not be ready on time for start of July travel.
    got on chat queue today around 2pm after about 15mins clicking then about half hour wait.
    They confirmed documents ok and to contact them again if not issued by 20th June (which would be 2 months after submitted application).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Trying to apply for a replacement passport online but it will not accept the number of my current one which has only 6 digits and one letter. According to FAQ section of the website it should have 2 letters and 7 digits. Any reason why I'm having this problem Old passport was issued in 2005 expired in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Trying to apply for a replacement passport online but it will not accept the number of my current one which has only 6 digits and one letter. According to FAQ section of the website it should have 2 letters and 7 digits. Any reason why I'm having this problem Old passport was issued in 2005 expired in 2015

The FAQ says you can apply if your passport has 7 digits and begin with P or L. I'd say your passport is not biometric, and therefore they don't have your biometrics stored to compare with the online application you're trying to do.

I'd say you'd have to apply using a paper application form unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bella*

Hi

For those who have received their passports recently - how long after the progress bar changing to printing was it received?

Thanks

3 days in 'Printing' then 'Dispatched' and got it the next day.

I've had to resend photos for a child application - anyone know how long that will take ? agent on passport chat said it would not go back to square 1 processing but even with printing & post taking a week it leaving me very tight for time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

ax530 wrote: »
    3 days in 'Printing' then 'Dispatched' and got it the next day.

I've had to resend photos for a child application - anyone know how long that will take ? agent on passport chat said it would not go back to square 1 processing but even with printing & post taking a week it leaving me very tight for time.

Do you mind me asking why? Was it to do with the quality/format/etc. of the photos itself, or was it anything to do with the verification piece of Garda stamp/signature etc.?

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking why? Was it to do with the quality/format/etc. of the photos itself, or was it anything to do with the verification piece of Garda stamp/signature etc.?

quality of photo contrast, baby bald head against white background.
    replacement photos did not need to be witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 konnod321

Hey everyone, I helped my mum apply for her first ever passport last month(few people were shocked to hear she never owned one her entire life), anyways according to the tracking it says it was received on the 29th of May and estimated issue date is 19th of July.

She wanted to go away with a few family members first week of July, but sadly I don't think that can happen?
    They have all their tickets booked and she hasn't yet cause she's worried the passport wouldn't arrive.

Is there anything she can do to speed up the process? Like if She were to book it and then call or email the Dublin office with confirmation of her travelling plans?
    I have also seen people going down to Dublin appointment offices.
    I don't know much on how these things work so please bear with me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Really surprised with the online application turnaround time. Applied on Wednesday at lunchtime.
    Didn't even bother checking the application tracking number on the following Monday afternoon, and found the passport had been delivered at lunchtime (so 3 working days from application to delivery). The passport card came the next day. Although the tracking page also still shows an estimated date of June 27th.

Still think it would help a lot if the website was tidied up to avoid confusing, conflicting advice and make it clear that online is massively quicker if you're eligible. The main page has "3 Golden Rules" of which #2 reads
    Apply at least 6 weeks before travelling. Use Passport Express if you are travelling in 3 weeks or more but make an appointment if you need a passport sooner. Remember, first-time applications take at least 4 weeks.
    So is it 6 weeks or 3 weeks? That's then followed by #3 advising you to use online (2 weeks) if over 18, but chances are people will stop after #2 tells them to use Passport Express. The main passport FAQ has similarly confusing language, and a missing link to the Online page.

To be honest, they should just rebrand Passport Express. It's completely misleading, makes it sound like the most efficient method, when it's basically now the fallback method for people who aren't eligible for online

konnod321 the online chat is a good starting point, use that to tell them travel planned they will note it in application along with your contact number.
    if chat is busy keep trying I have used it twice and got in the queue within about 10 min each time.

• Advertisement

I did an application through passport express on 24/5. Issue date was due to be 5/7 and we are travelling on 7/7. I did a few web chats and they updated our travel dates. If you get through to them they are helpful, I’d advise trying at 9am. Having checked the tracker today my application is now complete and has been despatched. I definitely think contacting the passport office has made a difference, I have been so stressed out since I sent the application and was checking it religiously every 2 hours! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I failed miserably at online chat, emails got ignored etc. And its very annoying that they are still peddling the 15 days turnaround. However 2 people I know with children getting a renewal via an post got them back in 15 days (within the last month) so how the hell did they get to the top of the queue?
    Anyways, I shamefully went the TD route and suddenly the passport was being printed.
    Would the passport office just come out and say whoops and a method of sending in travel details to get your passport ontime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 konnod321

Thanks for your help, I went onto webchat, was waiting maybe 20 minutes. The agent put the passport as priority and said it will be out before she plans to travel.
    I'll keep you all updated if he sticks to his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ssskingasss

I've received my boys passports today. I've send the renewal applicationso 29th of may and they said estimated issue date is 21st of June (which is tommorow) . Great service

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Have travel for work next tuesday, no appointments showing online, is online the best way to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Folk, in a bit of a bind and could do with info. I will ring the passport office in the morning but just said I'd ask on here in the mean time.
    Basically my dads brother has taken a turn for the worst in his fight against cancer and they don't think he will last more than a few days. We are in kerry, my uncle is in middlesex. Dad has never has a passport in his life, typical kerry farmer, never travelled in his life. Has anyone on here ever got a temporary passport really quickly? What kinda stuff/info would we need to possibly supply them with? The few people I know who did already had passports that had expired, not starting from scratch. I've briefly looked into driving but it'd be madness, and between the ferry and fuel would be too expensive. And would he be left on the ferry and into the UK without a passport? Has anyone been in this predicament before? All info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

bman1 wrote: »
    Folk, in a bit of a bind and could do with info. I will ring the passport office in the morning but just said I'd ask on here in the mean time.
    Basically my dads brother has taken a turn for the worst in his fight against cancer and they don't think he will last more than a few days. We are in kerry, my uncle is in middlesex. Dad has never has a passport in his life, typical kerry farmer, never travelled in his life. Has anyone on here ever got a temporary passport really quickly? What kinda stuff/info would we need to possibly supply them with? The few people I know who did already had passports that had expired, not starting from scratch. I've briefly looked into driving but it'd be madness, and between the ferry and fuel would be too expensive. And would he be left on the ferry and into the UK without a passport? Has anyone been in this predicament before? All info greatly appreciated.

For travel to the UK the only airline you need a passport for is Ryanair. If Aer Lingus is an option he can travel with photo Id like a driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

I need to travel for work in Sept. I can't apply online as my last passport expired more than 5 years ago, do you think I'd be safe enough with passport express or should I book an appointment?]Next appointment I can see is 12th July

Edit: I see one person on the previous page took 3 months to get it issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

pillphil wrote: »
    I need to travel for work in Sept. I can't apply online as my last passport expired more than 5 years ago, do you think I'd be safe enough with passport express or should I book an appointment?]Next appointment I can see is 12th July

Edit: I see one person on the previous page took 3 months to get it issued.
    You won't get an appointment with a September travel date afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Appointments are only available to people travelling in the next three weeks. You'll be grand with passport express as it's a renewal other than a first/lost/stolen passport

• Advertisement

apply using passport express if it not back few weeks before travel contact them, i have found the web chat very good.they can then hurry it if you have travel booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Just an fyi that the Passport Office went to accompany the Department of Foreign Affairs at a PAC meeting today.

Plenty news stories doing the rounds and I know an apology was issued with an explanation that the "... some of the blame lies in the checks with regards the lost &/or stolen passports ...".

Hopefully the turnaround time will be reduced.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Caranica wrote: »
    Appointments are only available to people travelling in the next three weeks. You'll be grand with passport express as it's a renewal other than a first/lost/stolen passport

as far as I can tell, they consider it a lost..../etc passport, so that probably means more time. (because I lost it to be fair...)
    Dovies wrote: »
    You won't get an appointment with a September travel date afaik

That was the main thing preventing me from applying for it as an appointment, i didn't want to wait until mid july and then be told I couldn't apply through the office. Although, if I'm paying more for it, why the hell shouldn't I?

Although, purely hypothetical, nothing on the site seems to require you to need the passport in any amount of tine. Only for you to want it within a certain amount of days? and it costs more the less days that is?

Applied via passport express for first time child’s passport, application was received on 24/5 and we received the new passport today. So 4 weeks and 1 day turnaround - delighted 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dmcgeogs

My husbands passport is expired 7 years so we need to send in all documents that would be required for a first time application to renew. Will it still be considered a renewal or first time when it comes to turnaround time?

Also, since it doesn’t tell you stages anymore when checking status, how do we know what stage it’s at?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sent my daughters passport in for renewal on Thursday via passport express for travel on the 28th of next month. Bricking it as she is 8 and signed her own name in the box on the form...with one letter incorrect which she then scribbled out and put the new one in its place.
    What's the chances it's rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭solderon

Hi all, Hoping someone might know from experience re: 3 working day minimum turnaround from time of appointment.

With an appointment on a Monday (lunchtime), what day/time would passport usually be ready for collection? Would imminent date of travel affect this at all? Any insight appreciated.

(Travelling in next 15 days situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Dmcgeogs wrote: »
    My husbands passport is expired 7 years so we need to send in all documents that would be required for a first time application to renew. Will it still be considered a renewal or first time when it comes to turnaround time?

It's considered a first time I think, cos they have to re-establish his identity

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    Dmcgeogs wrote: »

It's considered a first time I think, cos they have to re-establish his identity

Ugh I was hoping it wouldn’t. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement