Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Caranica wrote: »
    There are over 80 security features on our passports, the infrastructure required is massive. I believe the Cork office can't accommodate it

There’s such a thing as a courier. Cork is at most 3 hours away from the printing centre in an actual emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

OP go into them today!!!

I don't know why people assume an email will get them any sort of immediate response especially in this type of situation. Deal with email as an absolute last resort in any situation, face to face or phone if you cant get to the immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stressed123

Just out from passport office. Took a picture of incorrect passport just in case! They took it off me to spoil it immediately at said they’ll have a new one by 4pm today! Please God they do!
    Thank you all for your help and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need to provide API for Spain

This could cause issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This could cause issues

Not until you check in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There is no issue and no worry OP. It'll be fine. Pick-up a passport card too while you're there. Very handy to keep in your wallet especially when on holidays instead of having to carry your passport book around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This could cause issues

Even if the OP already provided the API data from the old passport, it can be fixed at check-in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not sure if it's Schengen related (although Spain are part of the Schengen agreement and Ireland is not) but either way Advanced Passenger Information is mandatory for travel to Spain and only passports are considered valid travel documents.

API data must match passport info.

It's no biggie if people forget to enter the API as they can update it at the check in desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi OP. Delighted to hear they are sorting it for you - hope you have a great holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Caranica wrote: »
    There are over 80 security features on our passports, the infrastructure required is massive. I believe the Cork office can't accommodate it

Are you sure about this? I got a passport recently from the Dublin office and it looks like something from the 1980's. :D I'm almost embarrassed to take it out at airports! My GF is from a third world country and her's is far more advanced security wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

zetalambda wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I got a passport recently from the Dublin office and it looks like something from the 1980's. :D I'm almost embarrassed to take it out at airports! My GF is from a third world country and her's is far more advanced security wise.

Certain. Things you may not notice, but immigration officers know to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

marko99 wrote: »
    Why do people post such ill-informed and inaccurate rubbish?
    Because they don’t know it’s ill-informed and inaccurate rubbish?

Poster may have been well-intentioned, and throat is probably appropriately jumped down at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There’s such a thing as a courier. Cork is at most 3 hours away from the printing centre in an actual emergency.

If the passport office used couriers to get single passports from Dublin to Cork, to ensure that customers waiting in Cork would be guaranteed a passport within a few hours, it would be a logistical and costly nightmare.

Much easier to manage sending a single van run down once a day from Dublin to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

For an über-urgent request, there should be a possibility of getting them couriered to any airport, at an additional economic fee. It's not that much of a logistical issue for a handful of very urgent, hand-processed cases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Hi.just checked out the supervalu self catering breaks site and it's a shadow of it's former self.
    Where did all the holiday home breaks go to?.
    For Halloween there are three options in the whole country.
    A few years ago there would have been loads of options.
    Lookes at Airbnb and the prices are very high with none of the usual holiday homes on offer.
    Where did an affordable off season holiday home go??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Flying to Los Angeles on Tues,can you do the API for States at the airport?....prob won’t have access to a computer tomorrow to do it...thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes you can, and it can't be missed out as you can't check in without doing the API first with either online or at a check in desk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just by way of information for people, I done an online passport application last week using a photo done in a special booth in tesco (photo me I think) it gives the code which you input during the process. The new passport was in my letter box in 24hrs and passport card 24 hours after that. Seriously impressed by the system and real easy to use. My passport wasn’t up till September but I thought it might take up to 2 months so got in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

I put in a new passport application for my 2 kids and a renewal for myself about 5 weeks ago, we are travelling on Wednesday. I have called into the passport office in Cork 3 times, did the web chat 3 times and phoned them once, I sent in proof of travel with the application and emailed it as well. I am at my wits end as there is no sign of the passports. I can't get through on the phones or web chat and I don't know what to do. I called in this morning again to the cork office and was told there was no guarantee that they would be ready in time. has anyone else been in a similar situation and got their passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

carrighead wrote: »
    I put in a new passport application for my 2 kids and a renewal for myself about 5 weeks ago, we are travelling on Wednesday. I have called into the passport office in Cork 3 times, did the web chat 3 times and phoned them once, I sent in proof of travel with the application and emailed it as well. I am at my wits end as there is no sign of the passports. I can't get through on the phones or web chat and I don't know what to do. I called in this morning again to the cork office and was told there was no guarantee that they would be ready in time. has anyone else been in a similar situation and got their passports?

Loads of people.

How long ago did you apply and when/where are travelling to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Exact same happened me carrighead. I had to ring up Coveney's office, they asked me to follow up with an email and I got a phone call 3 hours later to say my passport was ready to post.

Absolute head wreck and CRAP INEPT system but I was told that the priority queue actually moves slower because there are only certain senior officers in PO that can look at those ones and there are less of them. You couldn't make it up.

I did live help 8 times and I may as well have been talking to myself. Fruitless exercise having it because they basically did the online tracker, same as I could myself, and told me to keep and eye and hopefully I'd have it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

Can't believe it, got a phone call after lunch saying it was approved and she was just putting them into the post, she said we will have them for tomorrow. I don't think I will believe it until they are in my hand. Its a terrible system with awful communication both online and in person. And on top of that false information about processing times on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Exact same happened me carrighead. I had to ring up Coveney's office, they asked me to follow up with an email and I got a phone call 3 hours later to say my passport was ready to post.

Absolute head wreck and CRAP INEPT system but I was told that the priority queue actually moves slower because there are only certain senior officers in PO that can look at those ones and there are less of them. You couldn't make it up.

I did live help 8 times and I may as well have been talking to myself. Fruitless exercise having it because they basically did the online tracker, same as I could myself, and told me to keep and eye and hopefully I'd have it soon.

Couldn’t agree more, it seems the majority of time a rabbit is pulled out of the had and you get a passport. A lot of grief for staff and applicants would be saved through timely and accurate communication and not simply turning the phones to voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

zetalambda wrote: »

Apparently the Irish passport is one of the most advanced in the world for security features.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Just to add my experience.....

First time passport for a baby. Passport Express - Application received on the 6th June, estimated issue date was 30th July.

Checked the tracker yesterday and the progress bar was about halfway and status was in process. Passport arrived in the post today (10th July)! Tracker now shows Dispatched (Your application is complete).

Also just to note, we were worried about the witnessing/verification of the PP photos we got signed & stamped in the Garda station. Garda put the stamped photos back to back after stamping them and the stamp was completely smudged on both. Thought they might have been rejected for this but they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Hi,
    My Irish passport expires in October, I'll get a new one , but in the meantime it is ok to travel within Europe ?

I heard before that the Passport must be valid for 6 months before travelling ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can travel up to the day it expires.
    Some european countries even recognise certain expired passports as being valid.

You are not travelling to the USA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi,
    Heading away with a couple of mates in November to England. Booking the flights at the minute.
    One lad has a passport currently in date but will have expired by the time we travel.
    So it means his current passport details will be different by the time he checks in at the airport in November.
    Could this be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You don't need to enter passport details when booking flights to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and if travelling with someone aside from Ryanair, you dont even need a passport because you dont need a passport to enter the UK, as you would know from driving up to the likes of Newry (hint, also the UK)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement