Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Hi,
    My Irish passport expires in October, I'll get a new one , but in the meantime it is ok to travel within Europe ?

Yes, and the US and Canada. Ignore the reference to the US in the previous post #9754 above. (update to reflect that the thread was moved into the passport megathread).

Ireland is a member of the 'six month club', a list of countries who's citizens are only required to have a passport valid for the duration of their stay in the US ....

Visitors travelling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update
    Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    I heard before that the Passport must be valid for 6 months before travelling ...

That mainly applies to Asian and Gulf countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arlandria5

Hi, I am flying to Lanzarote with my mum on August 30th and we just realised today she would have to apply as a first time applicant instead of a renewal as her passport was issued in 2002 and expired in 2012.
    Her Public Services Card appointment is tomorrow and will take 5-10 days to be issued which leaves us with about 25-28 working days for the passport.
    We are wondering would An Post express be the best option or should she make an appointment at the Passport Office in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

arlandria5 wrote: »
    Hi, I am flying to Lanzarote with my mum on August 30th and we just realised today she would have to apply as a first time applicant instead of a renewal as her passport was issued in 2002 and expired in 2012.
    Her Public Services Card appointment is tomorrow and will take 5-10 days to be issued which leaves us with about 25-28 working days for the passport.
    We are wondering would An Post express be the best option or should she make an appointment at the Passport Office in Dublin?

You only qualify for an appointment if travelling in the next 3 weeks. Processing times have come right down lately so she should be OK with passport express

Renewing kids passports.
    Do parents have to send their passports with the application form?

On the website it says you need to send the child’s old passport.

When we got their first passports we had to send our passports with the application too (may have just been my wife’s, can’t remember)

I can’t find anything on website, but my friend recently had to send her passport with her child’s application. But I can’t even find this on their website

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Renewing kids passports.

When we got their first passports we had to send our passports with the application too (may have just been my wife’s, can’t remember)

I can’t find anything on website, but my friend recently had to send her passport with her child’s application. But I can’t even find this on their website

Thanks

We didn’t with our recent child renewal and a first time one sent together. Then girl in the post office said they may ask for them but they never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Renewing kids passports.

Thanks

I'd suggest using the Passport Wizard to get a definitive answer:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

fxotoole wrote: »
    I'd suggest using the Passport Wizard to get a definitive answer:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

Hi, thanks for the reply, + Gmaximum
    I had tried the wizard, and in hindsight the info provided there does appear to be correct

I have heard so much contradictory info today, my head is frazzled

Even their website is confusing. In the section for required documentation for renewing minors it’s says a full birth cert is required, but in the wizard section it says only if the original passport was issued before 31st December 2004

Bit frustrating

Thanks for your help, things are a bit clearer now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You could always send your passport in anyway? Unless of course, you need it for travel while your child's passport renewal application is being worked on.

fxotoole wrote: »
    You could always send your passport in anyway? Unless of course, you need it for travel while your child's passport renewal application is being worked on.

I need it to travel in the meantime
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the passport card worth getting or just an unnecessary card to carry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is the passport card worth getting or just an unnecessary card to carry?

If you travel within the eu for business a bit it’s handy especially if you do day trips or are going to sporting events etc. the real convenience is it fits in your wallet so handy for a short trip if your not going straight to a hotel on landing

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Just looking for some advice!!!

I’m an Irish citizen, born & bred. We’re currently in the UK on holiday. Myself, wife and 3 kids were going to go to France by ferry- Dover-Calais - tomorrow for a couple of days, a spur of the moment thing!

Problem is: my passport expired in April. All other family members have valid Irish passports.

I have my drivers license with me. The old tri fold type.

Would I be allowed to travel with my out of date passport?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Strictly speaking you don't need a passport to travel within the EU but the French can be over zealous, I would check with the ferry company to see what their experience has been, bring at least a form of photo ID such as a Drivers Licence

"You need a valid passport to visit France and we advise you to take a number of photocopies of your passport with you. During your stay you should carry a photocopy of your passport at all times"

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Stanford wrote: »
    Strictly speaking you don't need a passport to travel within the EU but the French can be over zealous, I would check with the ferry company to see what their experience has been, bring at least a form of photo ID such as a Drivers Licence

As we are NOT part of The Schengen Area you do need a passport to travel outside Irl/UK

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering how closely the ‘border patrol’ would actually scrutinize the actual passports themselves.

Would it be possible that I could get in unnoticed.

They scan them all so I cant see how it would go unnoticed

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering how closely the ‘border patrol’ would actually scrutinize the actual passports themselves.

Would it be possible that I could get in unnoticed.

The reason I suggested that you check with the ferry company first is that if you need a passport they might ask to see it on boarding and may not let you board without a valid one. As regards getting in unnoticed that literally depends on Immigration at Calais and remember you face the same challenge getting home.

I agree with "Try Harder", don't risk it, you could face being refused entry and deported on the next ferry to Dover which won't help when you come home to renew your Irish passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ouch, I don't envy you at all. also, I wouldn't risk being "forcefully" separated from the family.

checked the embassy page, it appears they can issue temporary travel documents within a day, but for emergencies.
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/passports/top-passport-questions/can-i-get-my-passport-today/

best of luck!

• Advertisement

There's obviously no guarantees and we're not talking about Ryanair but if the OP is travelling in a car with his wife and children (all of whom have valid Irish passports), I can't see it being a show-stopper.

Four valid and one out of date Irish passports - family group in a car, will they be refused entry to France? I doubt it. The biggest risk is going to be with Sharon (ferry check-in employee) in the hi-viz jacket at Dover if the ferry company asks for passports - they don't in Rosslare.

For sure, you are entering the Schengen zone from a non-Schengen country (UK) so you are obliged to produce a passport but I have driven to France three time from Rosslare and the French cops just waved us off the boat when we landed.

coylemj wrote: »
    There's obviously no guarantees and we're not talking about Ryanair but if the OP is travelling in a car with his wife and children (all of whom have valid Irish passports), I can't see it being a show-stopper.

Four valid and one out of date Irish passports - family group in a car, will they be refused entry to France? I doubt it.

For sure, you are entering the Schengen zone from a non-Schengen country (UK) so you are obliged to produce a passport but I have driven to France three time from Rosslare and the French cops just waved us off the boat when we landed.
    We are also a non-Schengen country

Try_harder wrote: »
    We are also a non-Schengen country

OP is in the UK and wants to go to France, the issue he is facing would apply even if he had a Spanish or German passport and they are both in Schengen.

Travelling between Schengen and non-Schengen countries requires a passport, regardless of your nationality.
    Try_harder wrote: »
    As we are NOT part of The Schengen Area you do need a passport to travel outside Irl/UK

You need a passport to enter the Schengen zone but can freely move around the Schengen countries without a passport.

I suspect that border checks are more thorough coming back to the UK from France than they are in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

You won't get in without a passport. I have travelled by ferry to France many times from Dover, Hull (Belgium) and Rosslare you have to drive through passport control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The Brits check every passport when leaving the country at the Ferrys. They check them by sight, Make you put down the windows so the camera will get a good look at you and then they scan them in which you see at the airports. It will not go unnoticed that it's out of date.

If the queue is an hour long they will still check every passport.

The French won't check them.

If you are coming back to UK forget it. You will be at Calais on the phone to the Irish embassy for hours trying to get them to fax one over. Its happened to a member of my group while traveling through Calais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Now I know this is probably already discussed but I can't find thread

So I have booked another trip to UK for next year. Each year I say I have to start saving tesco vouchers but I never do. I get Stena Line over and Irish Ferries back. It suits me better.

Anyway I was wondering can you get family member vouchers and use them to convert to Ferry vouchers?

Also each time you get a few quid in vouchers should you convert?
    Or are you supposed to wait and put all the vouchers into one big bundle?

What is the best way to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi there. We've used the Tesco tokens for ferries a few times ourselves. In fact, we're just back from a trip to the UK last week, thanks to the tokens and the Rosslare-Fishguard ferry.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
    - No, you can't use vouchers belonging to other family members or friends. Same as with any Tesco deal, the vouchers can only be used against the Tesco Clubcard they were actually earned with in the first place. So for example, if your sister earned vouchers with her Clubcard, you can't use them in conjunction with the vouchers you earned yourself on your own card. I suppose it would be an option that if family or friends were willing to help you out in this way, that you get a duplicate of your own card and ask them to use that instead of their own, but that might be too much of an ask and would have to be done months in advance anyway.

- As regards cashing them in - just let all the vouchers build up until you want to book, and then go to the Tesco Clubcard Boost thing online and do them all together. You'll get a reference code straight away that you can then use to book the ferry you want. It's a lot easier than having several reference codes from several cashings-ins, and I'm not sure anyway if you can use more than one code per booking. Have only ever done it this way myself.

Might be more straightforward here though to just choose either Stena or Irish Ferries for both outward and return journeys. But that's up to yourself.

Happy travelling anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Hi all, can I use an expired passport to fly to uk? It expired a month ago. Flying with Ryanair. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Marlay

Assuming you are flying from Ireland to the UK that is not a domestic flight. Passport needs to be valid:

"If you have a European passport and you are travelling to a European destination or Morocco, your passport only needs to be valid for the period of intended stay."

It is all covered here: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Travel-documentation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Thanks, so basically the passport is invalid if it’s out of date? I wasn’t sure what invalid meant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement