Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Marlay wrote: »
    Assuming you are flying from Ireland to the UK that is not a domestic flight. Passport needs to be valid:

I think you mean the Republic of Ireland. If the OP is flying from Belfast then Ryanair state the following ID requirement for a UK domestic flight....

Any photo ID which matches the passenger name in the booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Yeah Republic of Ireland to uk

BengaLover wrote: »
    Yeah Republic of Ireland to uk

Which is not a 'domestic' flight as it's between two countries. Sorry if that sounds pedantic but you put it in the thread title.

Even though most airlines except Ryanair treat it as one. Aer Lingus will accept virtually anything with your photo on it to fly to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I flew to England a few years ago with an expired passport but flew Aer Lingus to be sure. I heard at the time that Ryanair wouldn't accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

BengaLover wrote: »
    Hi all, can I use an expired passport to fly to uk? It expired a month ago. Flying with Ryanair. Thank you
    You can't travel with Ryanair on an expired passport. Apply online for new one and you will probably have it next week. I say probably as my son and a couple of people from work had theirs in 4 days but that was last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dovies wrote: »
    You can't travel with Ryanair on an expired passport. Apply online for new one and you will probably have it next week. I say probably as my son and a couple of people from work had theirs in 4 days but that was last month.

I applied online and got it within 24 hrs two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Ryanair deffo won’t let you fly from the Republic of Ireland to the UK. You need an in-date passport to do that with Ryanair.

As others have suggested, renew your passport online and you’ll have a new passport in a matter of days.

Or you could fly with another airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

shovel wrote: »
    Hi.just checked out the supervalu self catering breaks site and it's a shadow of it's former self.
    Where did all the holiday home breaks go to?.
    For Halloween there are three options in the whole country.
    A few years ago there would have been loads of options.
    Lookes at Airbnb and the prices are very high with none of the usual holiday homes on offer.
    Where did an affordable off season holiday home go??

Gone the way of the Celtic Tiger I'm afraid!

From my own experience I rented a cottage in Kenmare in May 2016 for €300 via supervalu. The same cottage is available this September for €795. 2 years older, colder and less homely. http://www.rentacottage.ie/property-details.html/kenmare-holiday-village-kenmare-holiday-village-1-25?check_in=08%2F09%2F2018&check_out=15%2F09%2F2018&guests=3

There are some deals available but you need to book early and maybe go slightly off the beaten track. Not too many reasonably priced places on hotel grounds with leisure facilities out there anymore.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/ga-hoi-an-express-ltd-7

Just saw this and looks like a cracking deal. I was going to go for the 4 star hotels as I'm not sure I trust 3 star in vietnam. Just wondering has anyone done it and is it a safe bet to buy a grouon deal for this type of thing?

I googled and found a few similar offers reviews on trip advisor that seem to get good reviews - but not sure if they are the same.

There is another one here also including Vietnam: https://www.groupon.ie/deals/ga-halong-tours-booking-207

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

There's no flights included! I'd keep looking if I was you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

Zascar wrote: »
    https://www.groupon.ie/deals/ga-hoi-an-express-ltd-7

Just saw this and looks like a cracking deal. I was going to go for the 4 star hotels as I'm not sure I trust 3 star in vietnam. Just wondering has anyone done it and is it a safe bet to buy a grouon deal for this type of thing?

I googled and found a few similar offers reviews on trip advisor that seem to get good reviews - but not sure if they are the same.

There is another one here also including Vietnam: https://www.groupon.ie/deals/ga-halong-tours-booking-207

Thoughts?

Why dont you trust 3 star hotels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Plus you have to purchase two coupons to get the offer so no single option..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

There is a single traveller option (under: room type)
    It adds around 50% to the cost

I was looking at their combined Vietnam & Cambodia package and cant believe that they do not visit the Killing Fields or S21 prison camp as part of the tour when in Phnom Penh
    (seems like a bit of white washing going on)

That's like going to Paris and skipping the Eifel tower and the Louvre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

10 nights, 4* hotel @ €759.

You'd do it yourself for a LOT cheaper. I couldn't think of anything worse than a package / organised tour in SE Asia... everything is so easy to do yourself and your have flexibility (and it's cheap).

In Hanoi / Saigon you were paying approx. €30 for a nice room (hotel with a pool) per night... goes way cheaper, if you're that way inclined.

Applied online for OH passport on Sunday evening. Passport arrived today, Tuesday. Now that's a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Hi,

I'm flying to Faro from Belfast on Aug 1, returning Malaga to Belfast Aug 6, but my Irish passport expires on August 18th.

Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Flying with easyJet. They said check with consulate.

Not a problem if travelling to the EU, US or Canada. Passport only needs to be valid during your trip, you don't need 3-6 months extra validity.

Ok. Thanks for your reply. That's good to hear. Do you have experience of this? Flying back on Aug 6th, passport expires 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As posted above for EU travel an EU passport need only be in date on the dates you are travelling

Its against EU law to insist on any kind of additional buffer time

cojobt wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for your reply. That's good to hear. Do you have experience of this? Flying back on Aug 6th, passport expires 18th.

I don't have any 'experience' of travelling in the EU with a soon to expire passport but I once visited the US with a passport with 6 weeks remaining and they never remarked on it.

This has been asked and answered here many times, the answer is the same.

In an extreme case, you only need the passport to be current when you arrive in an EU country, they wouldn't stop you flying home if it had expired (ok, Ryanair might) because they know that your home country will readmit you even if your passport has expired.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for the responses. You've put my mind at ease. I was worrying about spending a day queuing in Molesworth Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

cojobt wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the responses. You've put my mind at ease. I was worrying about spending a day queuing in Molesworth Street.

You'd be a long time waiting on Molesworth St, they moved to Mount St a few years ago.

I accidentally traveled to Spain on a passport that expired the day before. Only discovered when I went through Spanish security. They were fine with it, but I had to get an emergency passport to return to Ireland, and my expired one taken off me in the Consular office.

If you have a few days left on it, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But don't worry another offer will be around soon. I was about to book with a 25% offer when the 30% landed in my inbox.

Pay the extra €12 each way and you can change the booking anytime and keep the 30% discount but you will pay any extra if you change to travelling at a more expensive time.
    30% off sale: Valid on Irish Sea routes. Book online and 48hrs in advance, and by midnight 1st August 2018. Travel to 18 December 2018. Includes cruise ferry and Dublin Swift fast ferry sailings. Excludes following July & August sailings: Swift 11:30 (Sat to Mon) & 14:15 and Epsilon 14:30 and 08:30 (Sat only).New bookings only. Subject to availability. Excludes: freight, bicycles, foot passengers, Sail Rail, land-bridge, inclusive holidays, Tesco travel tokens or any other 3rd party arrangements.Fees for non-web bookings apply. Standard terms & conditions of booking & travel apply. Irish Ferries reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time..

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/specials-from-Ireland-to-Britain/Special-offers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Am trying with difficulty to get any reduction in cost, only if I stay overnight at least 2 nights will the price drop. I only want to drive over and collect an item and drive back that night.

Would I be better trying two single fares? It is tracking all my permutations but the cost for a day return is €230, dropping to €120 if I overnight stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Applied online for OH passport on Sunday evening. Passport arrived today, Tuesday. Now that's a great service.

Did the same this week. Oh applied on Sunday evening, passport arrived this morning (wed). Fantastic service they seem to have gotten their house in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Am trying with difficulty to get any reduction in cost, only if I stay overnight at least 2 nights will the price drop. I only want to drive over and collect an item and drive back that night.

Would I be better trying two single fares? It is tracking all my permutations but the cost for a day return is €230, dropping to €120 if I overnight stay

That sounds about right depending on the day. I always travel on a Wednesday night (Rosslare to Penbroke) and thats normally less than €80 the one way with discounts. I come back on a Wednesday during the day from Pembroke to Rosslare and thats a bit more expensive at about €90.

With the current 30% off I'm getting € 123.90 (in total for both trips) booking those times for the first Wednesday in September and returning a week later.

When I try and book returning the same say or just a day later the discount goes off and it wants full price.

So the offer is no good if you want to return the same day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Did the same this week. Oh applied on Sunday evening, passport arrived this morning (wed). Fantastic service they seem to have gotten their house in order.

I’d say the online thing is completely automated with the only human interaction the person popping it into the envelope. All the online applications are the straight forward adult renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say the online thing is completely automated with the only human interaction the person popping it into the envelope. All the online applications are the straight forward adult renewals.

It's mostly automated, yes. Since they're renewals, the passport office already have all the data from the previous applications, so minimal checking is required.

Other categories are to be moved online over the next few years, which will also improve the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

fxotoole wrote: »
    It's mostly automated, yes. Since they're renewals, the passport office already have all the data from the previous applications, so minimal checking is required.

Other categories are to be moved online over the next few years, which will also improve the service.

I was told all renewals online by the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Just back from the guards station. Trying to renew our sons passport but the guards wouldn't sign it because he said he didn't personally know us,that we need to bring it to a priest,bank manager or school teacher that would know us. Did we just get an eejit of a guard or is this a new thing?!? The only one I'd know is a school teacher but they are out for holidays?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement