Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Arriving from the UK if you are a UK or Irish Citizen a passport is not legally required. Ryanair have other ideas. ;)

Why are people so hung up about it. Just bring your passport with you and none of these issues arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Why? The Common Travel Area still exists. The Irish Government is still required to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The common travel area (CTA) applies to Irish and UK citizens only.

Which gives rise to a logical conundrum ...... you don't need a passport coming off a UK flight in Dublin because you are an Irish citizen but in order to avail of the CTA, you have to prove that you are an Irish citizen.

Without an Irish passport, you would need to show the boarding pass to prove that you are coming from the UK and availing of the CTA and something which proves your Irish citizenship.

Why? The Common Travel Area still exists. The Irish Government is still required to follow it.

Just bring a passport and save yourself and everyone else longer queuing time and unneccesary questions -job done

coylemj wrote: »
    The common travel area (CTA) applies to Irish and UK citizens only.

Which gives rise to a logical conundrum ...... you don't need a passport coming off a UK flight in Dublin because you are an Irish citizen but in order to avail of the CTA, you have to prove that you are an Irish citizen.

Without an Irish passport, you would need to show the boarding pass to prove that you are coming from the UK and availing of the CTA and something which proves your Irish citizenship.

Very simple solution to all of this dancing around the head of a pin. Bring your passport and show it to the guard at the desk when you get back.

• Advertisement

Why are people so hung up about it. Just bring your passport with you and none of these issues arise.
    Just bring a passport and save yourself and everyone else longer queuing time and unneccesary questions -job done
    Very simple solution to all of this dancing around the head of a pin. Bring your passport and show it to the guard at the desk when you get back.

I think you've made your point.

I make a point of not using a passport if I am on a CTA flight. That is my right and the Irish govt respects that.

I make a point of not using a passport if I am on a CTA flight. That is my right and the Irish govt respects that.

Me personally I wouldn’t mind if it was done away with. I hate the idea of this free for all at the border. People coming in nobody knowing who they are.lot of ppl nowadays Just bring a passport and it cuts out all the confusion.

Of course we know who they are. Why are you being so obtuse?

Of course we know who they are. Why are you being so obtuse?

If someone arrives at the Irish border and says I have no passport let me in I’m Irish how do you expect the guards to be able to prove or disprove it? However if you have your passport there is no doubt as to nationality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Applied 1553 Sunday for renewal
    Passport arrived 0846 Tuesday

Can't beat that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

But the "save everyone the bother" approach is not what legislation provides for. The notion of people examining boarding passes or some version of identification as you would be expected to have that on any flight anyway is not a problem. But I have difficulty with the idea that there is an arrangement for a common travel area and some officials seem unaware of this and expect that you are to lumped into a process where they expect a passport.

As for being concerned about anyone showing up at your border and having unfettered access...……………..well that already happens on the Ireland/Northern Ireland border every hour of every day. Why is it suddenly such an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

happygoose wrote: »
    QQ on passport renewal and booking flights...

Can I book a flight on a passport then travel on a new passport?

My current passport expires in the middle of September, and I'm hoping to travel at the end, or beginning of October. Passport bookings require a passport number, which changes with each new passport.

Thanks...

Just renew online, you'll have your new passport in a matter of days, and sidestep the issue entirely

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I came into Dublin airport recently from Liverpool and had to go through Passport control and show my passport. I mentioned to a guy who worked there about the talk of the free travel area in the context of the whole Brexit discussion and why was there a need for passports. He looked like he hadn't the faintest notion what the free travel area was and said that they had this arrangement in place "for the last 15 years".

That's funny as I travelled to London (with Aer Lingus) in March 2016 using my driving licence as ID and nobody on either side of the pond batted an eyelid and I was not required to produce a passport coming into Ireland. On this occasion the only reason I actually had a passport was because it was a Ryanair flight.

I am right in thinking that there is a free travel area between the UK and Ireland and that a passport should not be a requirement, am I?

Yes you're 100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

fxotoole wrote: »
    Yes you're 100% correct

Well not quite. It's a free travel area for citizens of the UK and Ireland, not for others.

Well not quite. It's a free travel area for citizens of the UK and Ireland, not for others.

Isn't that what he said?

Powerhouse wrote: »
    But the "save everyone the bother" approach is not what legislation provides for. The notion of people examining boarding passes or some version of identification as you would be expected to have that on any flight anyway is not a problem. But I have difficulty with the idea that there is an arrangement for a common travel area and some officials seem unaware of this and expect that you are to lumped into a process where they expect a passport.

As for being concerned about anyone showing up at your border and having unfettered access...……………..well that already happens on the Ireland/Northern Ireland border every hour of every day. Why is it suddenly such an issue?

I just try to have COMMON SENSE when it comes to these issues.

I bring a passport to show the guard and advise everyone else to as well.

From what your saying it Sounds to me that the guards are actually enforcing a passport check and fair play to them I say. We can’t have a free for all. It’s bad enough as it is.

And I would have concerns about all the borders actually.

They also allow people to use driving licences as ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Isn't that what he said?

Nope. Never mentioned anything about nationality which is key as it only references people not their origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Isn't that what he said?

The subtle difference is, you need to be a citizen of the UK and Ireland to qualify for the FTA, travelling between the UK and Ireland. If you were, say, German, you wouldn't qualify.

You need to prove you're eligible with your ID, to not use your ID.

• Advertisement

The subtle difference is, you need to be a citizen of the UK and Ireland to qualify for the FTA, travelling between the UK and Ireland. If you were, say, German, you wouldn't qualify.

You need to prove you're eligible with your ID, to not use your ID.

Yes. I understand this nuance. But I meant that he's 100% correct in thinking there's a common travel area between the UK and Ireland for citizens of both states.

That ID does not have to be a passport. ;)

That ID does not have to be a passport. ;)

A passport proves your nationality though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hi there,

Just wondering has anyone renewed their passport from the online portal, and if so, did they use the photos from passportphoto.ie? I see it references getting a code, but I have not seen this as an option in these booths. Has anyone had any experience of this and all worked out grand, or would it be better to save the hassle and just get a digital one in a shop?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

I have the photos here and the code from "Photo-Me" booth in local Tesco.
    Haven't used it yet, will be waiting until September

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My OH used the photo booth in Stephens Green shopping centre, I think it's photo-me. It was great, he actually got his new passport within just a few days of submitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I just got someone to take a photo with my tablet & uploaded it, very straight forward, took a couple of attempts to avoid shadows but took all of 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Looking to book a mid-week hotel deal somewhere in Ireland (probably Leinster/Connacht) for a few nights in September. Ideally would be a nice hotel with spa, swimming pool, nice grounds, etc. Have been looking at luxurybreaks website, but wondering if anyone knows of other website/places to look for good deals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

When getting your passport form stamped, is it normal for the Garda to go into another room at the station with your form and other ID and not return for about ten minutes or so? That happened this week.

Is that regular or were they checking up on me or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement