Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Hi guys, hope I can get a response :)

I am flying to England on the 19th of August. I need a new passport as I lose my previous one. I got the form all filled out and signed by Garda etc, birth cert, I am over 18 so did not need parent signatures etc. Everything

I went to local Post Office and told I was unlucky in my timing. I was told it would take me two weeks, even more, even with passport express to get my passport and I would not make my flight in time. However I knew of some setup, where if you produce proof of flight etc, they will give it to you in time. The lady in the post office seemed oblivious to this so I moved along

I checked the website and it told me if I apply in person and show proof of my flights I can get it in 3 days or, well, ASAP. What can you guys tell me about this? True? Should I go for it? I have about 3 weeks or so until my flight but would like to get my passport ASAP. Any advice or feedback is appreciated immsensley

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Your information is correct. Plain Passport Express may or may not get you a new passport in time - it would be a gamble. But supplying proof of travel will help and the passport office should sort you out. You can submit the proof in person but you can also fax it if that is more convenient. Dropping by in person would seem safer though as you can make sure all the documents are in order and your travel plans are acknowledged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kaggie

my irish passport has expired,just found out. I need to know whether my new one will have same number?
    This is the one the freaking visa is connected to.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

How does it work to other way round? My Brother and Niece are flying over from England for a wedding. My Niece (16) does not have a passport and looks like she wont have one in time. How are they fixed?

Also, if they travelled by boat would they need a passport at all as time is pressing it may be the only alternative if it's a 'NO passport required' scenario?

This has been asked (and answered) before. A new passport will have a new number. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kaggie

Thanks I thought that was just british passports. So how long is it taking these days for irish renewal passport? Can you go to passport office and wait to get it for an extra fee?
    I need to get a new visa too then

kaggie wrote: »
    Can you go to passport office and wait to get it for an extra fee?

You mean like a new passport on the spot? No. They are not printed in Molesworth St. There is no way that can be done. But if you submit proof of travel, you can get one quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

kaggie wrote: »
    I need to get a new visa too then

Not necessarily, it depends on where you are going. For example if you're travelling to the US and you have the visa stamped in an expired passport you just bring both passports with you (link).
    My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport? No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (Example: both Uruguayan regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the United States port of entry (POE) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation "VIOPP" (visa in other passport). Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

vedwards wrote: »
    How does it work to other way round? My Brother and Niece are flying over from England for a wedding. My Niece (16) does not have a passport and looks like she wont have one in time. How are they fixed?

Also, if they travelled by boat would they need a passport at all as time is pressing it may be the only alternative if it's a 'NO passport required' scenario?

I flew into Cork Airport (from London Heathrow) on Sunday with Aer Lingus and had my passport with me but it left it in my carryon and showed my full Irish drivers licence instead. There was a flight in from Paris at the time also and the guy just asked me "Were you on the Paris or London flight?" I answered London and yer man took a quick glance at it and left me through with no hassle or qualms the same as if I had used my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

I dropped mine into post office yesterday for passport express and the clerk told me it 20 working days. Its probably just to cover themselves.

Got my passport today - only 8 working days from the day I submitted it to the post office/;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Got mine today, they received it from me on the twentieth of July

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Dropped forms into my local PO (Dublin 7) on July 17th. Registered on their website July 20th. Received passport in the post this morning.

Didn't take as long as I was expecting.

Went to passport office in Dublin yesterday, handed in application with all relevant forms etc, and proof of flight (leaving on 19th). I did not qualify or get guarantee of a 3 day passport as my flight is in two weeks (which I guess is fair)

I paid and was given a receipt saying my collection day was 17th of august (very tight!), and was told "hopefully" it would be ready by then. I can't help feel pessimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Hi lodged an application today for a passport renewal with An Post passport express and was advised there was a 22 working day turnaround. Has anyone any recent experience ie how accurate is this? dont want to book to USA until I can feel a little secure on this 22 day timing Any help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

DavidKay wrote: »
    Hi lodged an application today for a passport renewal with An Post passport express and was advised there was a 22 working day turnaround. Has anyone any recent experience ie how accurate is this? dont want to book to USA until I can feel a little secure on this 22 day timing Any help!!!

I got mine back 2 weeks ago, it took 26 days(not working days just days), husband sent his away 5 weeks before I sent mine, his took 29 days to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Thanks for that, sounds like 22 aint that far off the mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ramza wrote: »
    Went to passport office in Dublin yesterday, handed in application with all relevant forms etc, and proof of flight (leaving on 19th). I did not qualify or get guarantee of a 3 day passport as my flight is in two weeks (which I guess is fair)

I paid and was given a receipt saying my collection day was 17th of august (very tight!), and was told "hopefully" it would be ready by then. I can't help feel pessimistic

Why did you not a guarantee of a 3 day passport? Was it because your flight was 2 weeks away and they were confident you would have it before then by regular express? IF your flight had been sooner would have been eligible for the 3 day one?

No idea, I was just told it was two weeks away and I would be getting normal express. I pleaded but to no avail

Hmm. Well I hope you get it in time man. Reason I ask is I got off the phone with my friend. She's very naive when it comes to all this and just thought she could go down to Dublin and get it sorted then and there. I told her that could be possible, but she'd have to make an appointment first and it would probably take a couple of days. Her flight is on the 7th/8th/9th September (forget which one). She's from the North, so I told her to try get a British passport first rather than renewing her Irish one. Ill see what happens.

When you renew your passport does it have all the same details? Like if you have an expired passport, and you need to give some of your passport details to finalize the booking of a holiday, will the details from the expired passport do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Archimedes wrote: »
    When you renew your passport does it have all the same details? Like if you have an expired passport, and you need to give some of your passport details to finalize the booking of a holiday, will the details from the expired passport do?

If you are referring to your passport number which I thnik you may be because obviously your name, DOB, Sex etc. won't have changed (I hope not), then the answer is no. The passport number changes when you renew your passport however it may be obtainable before your passport is ready, during the application stage, by ringing the passport office.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Did mine in end of May took about 3 weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Processing times have returned to normal with the restoration of the 10 working-day guarantee for new passports, Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin said today.

A backlog in applications caused by industrial action at the Passport Office and an increase in demand for passports has been cleared, the Minister said.

There are 24,057 currently passport applications in the system, which is the “normal amount” according to the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Mr Martin said the recruitment of 50 additional temporary staff allowed for more than 68,000 additional passport applications to be examined over and above those considered during normal hours over the past few months.

As a result, the number of applications awaiting processing has decreased from a high of 69,400 at the end of April. As of June 17th, there were still 68,014 in the backlog.

“The public counters and out of hours service operated by the Passport Office can still be used in the event of a family emergency or where immediate travel is required,” Mr Martin said.

Those submitted via the passport express service, Swiftpost in the Republic and NIPX in the North, available through local post offices, were now guaranteed to be processed within 10 working days.

The Passport Office processes 650,000 applications every year according to the Civil, Public and Service Union.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0812/breaking37.html

Cool, I put mine in on the 5th, in person at the office itself, will I have it by the 18th/19th?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

vedwards wrote: »

For sailing between england and ireland you dont need a passport at all, just carry a form of ID but theres like a 1% chance you'll be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just got mine via Passport Express, turnaround took approx 9 days...now that's more like it :D

Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Back to normal so that's good.

Let's hope this never happens again. :)

Put my application in on the 5th, in person, today is the 16th, I am flying on the 19th, and still no movement yet on the website tracking system =/ My slip says to call for collection on the 17th, which is tomorrow. I'm really worried. I handed in proof of flights with my application too if I can use them to maybe swing things in my favor? I hope I get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dunno?

How long afer applying for a new passport should you be able to track what stage its at? I sent mine Monday morning by passport express but when I try tracking were it is the system suggests I entered the number wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Not so sure about this normal service being resumed. I handed in my application for a standard passport on July 13th at the office in Molesworth Street. The receipt I got said that it would be posted on August 17th. Today it came through the letterbox. That's what I expected, but surely if normal service was back, I would have got it sooner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement