Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Not so sure about this normal service being resumed. I handed in my application for a standard passport on July 13th at the office in Molesworth Street. The receipt I got said that it would be posted on August 17th. Today it came through the letterbox. That's what I expected, but surely if normal service was back, I would have got it sooner?

So posted on the 17th.........after that it is at the mercy of An Post to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

Hi all
    there seems to be alot of people on here with some experience of this situation. I had to get my passport fixed up because they made an error on it when they created it above in the passport office in Dublin. Basically, its gonna be ready tomorrow (Friday 20th). However, I work in the UK (I got the Ferry over here, hence no passport needed) and I need to get back to Ireland sometime next week. Theres not a hope in hell Im gonna let someone post it to me. DHL could be expensive, so expensive that I should just fly if possible. Im not keen on doing the ferry as Im based on the east coast. A flight from Gatwick with Aer Lingus seems my best bet.
    Is it definitely sufficient to have a valid Irish Drivers licence in order to board an aer lingus flight from London Gatwick to Dublin and will I be able to get through the passport control at Dublin Airport on the other side?
    Thanks for any advice on this
    Proteuspal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've had my passport posted between UK and Ireland a few times when getting new ones in the past. Is a bit of a risk, but could always get it sent registered if need be.

Edit: ...and down the bottom of this page is the ID they will accept for UK-Ireland travel for UK/Irish citizens:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/airportinformation/#d.en.1577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

proteuspal wrote: »
    Is it definitely sufficient to have a valid Irish Drivers licence in order to board an aer lingus flight from London Gatwick to Dublin and will I be able to get through the passport control at Dublin Airport on the other side?
    Thanks for any advice on this
    Proteuspal

Definitely absolutely 100% totally sure you can use a driver's licence. Ring ahead to Dublin Airport and ask to speak to one of the Garda at the Immigration check point if you want the piece of mind but you will be able to both board the plane with the driver's licence and pass through the Immigration control checkpoint with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Definitely absolutely 100% totally sure you can use a driver's licence. Ring ahead to Dublin Airport and ask to speak to one of the Garda at the Immigration check point if you want the piece of mind but you will be able to both board the plane with the driver's licence and pass through the Immigration control checkpoint with it.

Yes as long as you are flying Aer Lingus a driving licence will suffice for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom. Ryanair no longer accept driving licences to check you in and upon arrival in Ireland the GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) ask to see photo id, and again your driving licence will suffice for this. I flew in from Heathrow to Cork two weeks ago with Aer Lingus and my driving licence was sufficient to clear the GNIB checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

I want to say a massive thanks for all your help. I really appreciate this-sometimes I dont know where I'd be without Boards.ie! Your advice has put my mind at ease.
    Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

SheRa wrote: »
    As per the aerlingus.com website:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

I'm a student at NUI Galway and I also have a Garda Age Card... is this enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

How could they prove it either way? Every time I get checked I think how utterly bizarre it is. Sometimes when I get off the Enterprise in Dublin the guards ask where I'm from and I say 'here' and they say 'grand so'. Surely anyone can just say Irish or British? :confused:
    it's a simple one, your accent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Applied via passport express on Monday August 9th and had a new one back on Friday the 20th, 10 working days later. So it looks like everything is finally back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

So posted on the 17th.........after that it is at the mercy of An Post to be honest.
    Agreed, but that's not the point I was making. Besides, can't really fault the post for getting it to me two days later.

My point was that if the passport office has cleared the backlog as stated and is now able to provide passports, then why did it take from the 13th of July to the 17th of August to provide mine? Should it not have taken at least slightly less time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Agreed, but that's not the point I was making. Besides, can't really fault the post for getting it to me two days later.

My point was that if the passport office has cleared the backlog as stated and is now able to provide passports, then why did it take from the 13th of July to the 17th of August to provide mine? Should it not have taken at least slightly less time?

afaik, the passport office in moleworth st only processes urgent passports. - Your application was probably sent via internal mail to balbriggan to be processed & checked in the normal way. This takes approx. 28 days.

by paying an extra 8.50 in post office, the passport application is checked by PO staff (eliminating one of the processes at the processing centre) and sent by registered next day delivery for priority processing.

I applied last Thursday and the passport arrive today - 5 working day turnaround!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

dunno? wrote: »
    How long afer applying for a new passport should you be able to track what stage its at? I sent mine Monday morning by passport express but when I try tracking were it is the system suggests I entered the number wrong

Yep - I entered wrong number too initially.

The number you need to enter is the Application Barcode number - 11 numerical digits to the left of the 80.00 charge - not the item number that ends in IE or the ref number at top..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Can't fault An Post, who then the HSE ??

You applied in July when the 10 day operation wasn't in effect. If you applied now its 10 days. But if you got it for your travel plans thats the main thing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Hi,

I'm traveling to thailand via abu dhabi. I know to gain entry into abu dhabi your passport needs to be 6 months untill expiry, but is this the case if it is only a stop over?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

Won't you need to have 6 months validity on your passport to enter Thailand in any case? That's pretty standard for most countries.
    ragg wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm traveling to thailand via abu dhabi. I know to gain entry into abu dhabi your passport needs to be 6 months untill expiry, but is this the case if it is only a stop over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Couldn't find an answer to this using the search:

We applied for 4 passports for the family and the status has just been updated to "this application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you."

Do we have to go through the whole application process again (including submitting the fees) or will the letter inform us of what the issue is and let us correct it (e.g. if there was a missing document will we be able to send it to them to complete the application)?

BigCon wrote: »
    Couldn't find an answer to this using the search:

We applied for 4 passports for the family and the status has just been updated to "this application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you."

Do we have to go through the whole application process again (including submitting the fees) or will the letter inform us of what the issue is and let us correct it (e.g. if there was a missing document will we be able to send it to them to complete the application)?

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You won't have to pay again

There is an issue somewhere, maybe a document or a photo.
    The letter will explain it, if you don't have it yet you'll get it Monday or Tuesday

If you know your reference number you can try calling Dublin or Cork.
    Well if you are in Laois, it's Dublin
    Do that Monday if it's not in the post

You won't have to pay again

There is an issue somewhere, maybe a document or a photo.
    The letter will explain it, if you don't have it yet you'll get it Monday or Tuesday

If you know your reference number you can try calling Dublin or Cork.
    Well if you are in Laois, it's Dublin
    Do that Monday if it's not in the post

Cheers, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the whole process again...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

On top of not charging any fees, they also include a FreePost envelope with the letter I believe so that you can send in the missing documents without having to fork out for a stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

is it stupid to renew your passport if i have 18months left on it?? Will I need to be "without" my current passport for the application time, or wlll my new/next passport just start from when my current one expires??
    Sorry if this has been covered before, theres a hell of alot of pages on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

gucci wrote: »
    is it stupid to renew your passport if i have 18months left on it?? Will I need to be "without" my current passport for the application time, or wlll my new/next passport just start from when my current one expires??
    Sorry if this has been covered before, theres a hell of alot of pages on this thread!

I was just about to ask a similar question!:)
    My passport is due for renewal in March 2011.Should I apply for a new one now,as I'll be travelling to Slovakia in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

chucken1 wrote: »
    My passport is due for renewal in March 2011.Should I apply for a new one now,as I'll be travelling to Slovakia in January.

well hopefully someone will be able to enlighten us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

When will you be returning to Ireland?

Hi. I'll be returning 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hi. I'll be returning 10 days later.

Then you don't need to hurry to renew your passport. It's valid until the date of it's expiry in the EEA / Switzerland.

Thanks for that info :)..Though I have to say I'm really looking forward to a new passport photo,must try not to look like a rabbit caught in headlights in the next one!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I am due to fly to Manchester in the next 2 weeks and was wondering will a drivers licence suffice for checking in at both Dublin and Manchester aerport with Aerlingus or Ryanair. Anyone have any updates on whats allowed. My passport expired in the summer and I have no intention of renewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I am due to fly to Manchester in the next 2 weeks and was wondering will a drivers licence suffice for checking in at both Dublin and Manchester aerport with Aerlingus or Ryanair. Anyone have any updates on whats allowed. My passport expired in the summer and I have no intention of renewing it.

Eh 2 Posts above yours? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Flying to London with Aerlingus in 2 wks. hoping to have my passport by then, but just in case will an out of date college ID and Garda ID do? bricking it. kicking my self too because I kept putting off renewing my passport due to lack of funds and now I have to go to London and Im not sure if I will have it on time. they said I can collect it the 14th, but Im still worried it wont be ready. are the passpot office good, in the way that it will be ready when they say it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement