Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

SarahBM wrote: »
    Flying to London with Aerlingus in 2 wks. hoping to have my passport by then, but just in case will an out of date college ID and Garda ID do? bricking it. kicking my self too because I kept putting off renewing my passport due to lack of funds and now I have to go to London and Im not sure if I will have it on time. they said I can collect it the 14th, but Im still worried it wont be ready. are the passport office good, in the way that it will be ready when they say it?

Do you have a driving licence? Garda ID is unrecognised outside Ireland and is not an ID card rather proof of age designed to prevent underage children buying Alcohol.

Expired Photo ID is generally not accepted, albeit I have travelled by Ferry to Ireland on an expired passport but had my Provisional (at the time) Licence at the time with me just incase. Maybe you should pop into the airport and ask the checkin desk about it? As for the Passport office I think it would squeeky bum time tbh as the Public Service prides themselves in making sure things are inefficient and nothing is ever on time or budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Stinicker wrote: »
    Do you have a driving licence? Garda ID is unrecognised outside Ireland and is not an ID card rather proof of age designed to prevent underage children buying Alcohol.

Expired Photo ID is generally not accepted, albeit I have travelled by Ferry to Ireland on an expired passport but had my Provisional (at the time) Licence at the time with me just incase. Maybe you should pop into the airport and ask the checkin desk about it? As for the Passport office I think it would squeeky bum time tbh as the Public Service prides themselves in making sure things are inefficient and nothing is ever on time or budget.

I dont have a licence. only other photo ID I have is my student travel card which looks like something out of a cereal box. I have about 10 cards in my wallet with my name on em like.

well I guess I'll just have to hope the Passport office are feeling particularly efficient this wk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I am due to fly to Manchester in the next 2 weeks and was wondering will a drivers licence suffice for checking in at both Dublin and Manchester aerport with Aerlingus or Ryanair. Anyone have any updates on whats allowed. My passport expired in the summer and I have no intention of renewing it.

Driving license fine for Aer Lingus . Passport required for ryanair. All of these ID rules for ireland-uk travel are set by the airlines so the best source of information is the individual airline website. Immigration don't require anything because of the common travel area.

I dont have a licence. only other photo ID I have is my student travel card which looks like something out of a cereal box. I have about 10 cards in my wallet with my name on em like.

well I guess I'll just have to hope the Passport office are feeling particularly efficient this wk.

The passport office are reliable. Check aer lingus.com to see if they'll take expired student ID

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    The passport office are reliable. Check aer lingus.com to see if they'll take expired student ID

The aerlingus site doesnt actually mention college ID.

"
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver's licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom."

But Im thinking if they take a bus pass they surely take a college ID. its only out since the 30th sept. Im graduating next wk.

Does a Garda ID not fall under the government issued photo ID catagory?

• Advertisement

To me, Garda ID is government issued ID but I'm not the airline so can't be sure.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    To me, Garda ID is government issued ID but I'm not the airline so can't be sure.

The Garda Age Card is not ID, it is proof of age to allow 18+ teenagers to purchase alcohol.

There is a discussion on After Hours at the moment.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056053264

There is a standard format that all National ID cards must adhere to within the EU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID_Card#Europe

Ireland does not have an official ID card, and the United Kingdom have also scrapped their one since the Tories took power. It would be a great system if implemented here as it would see a crackdown on welfare fraud and allow you to travel throughout the EU and Schengen area without your passport due to the common standard. If you fly regulary you will notice many Europeans using it instead of their passports.

Sorry for OT.

Typical Ireland, about 40 years behind everyone else.
    Ive just finished college, I dont have a driving licence, or a job for that matter. Yet even though I am an EU citizen it looks like that with out a passport I wont be able to go even as far as London.

and dont get me started on the price of getting a passport. :mad:

I hope to God my passport is ready when they said it will be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Ive just finished college, I dont have a driving licence, or a job for that matter. Yet even though I am an EU citizen it looks like that with out a passport I wont be able to go even as far as London.

Hav eyou tried to contact Aer Lingus, they will give you a definiteive answer.

There is no legal requirement to have ID for travel between Ireland and the UK HOWEVER the airlines/airports require photo ID to allow you to past through security.

Yet even though I am an EU citizen it looks like that with out a passport I wont be able to go even as far as London.

If you were flying Ryanair you couldn't get as far as Cork without a passport!

Relax, if they've given you a pick up date for your passport, it'll be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ive just finished college, I dont have a driving licence, or a job for that matter. Yet even though I am an EU citizen it looks like that with out a passport I wont be able to go even as far as London. (
    you can
    by boat.
    35 euro each way by coach or train including the ferry ticket.
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/
    AND:
    British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/faqs/passports-and-visas/im-a-british-irish-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport-to-travel/

Or alternatively. Cross into the UK at Newry and then get the ferry over from Belfast. Thats not even an international ferry then. (feckin long way about to get there though)
    http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Other-Translink-Services/Cross-Channel-Services/

Or you could go via rosslare. Or Cork Swansea. Or to Liverpool. Or via Isle of Man.
    Theres lots of options without having a passport, but not by air!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

but not by air!!

I wouldn't say that. Aer Lingus, Aer Arann, FlyBe, BMI, BMI Baby.... all don't require a passport from British or Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

we were actually years ahead of other countries by having a common travel area with the UK.

you're 20-odd (presumably having finished college) without a driving licence? why? that can't be blamed on anyone but yourself.

why don't you just get a bus ID from Dublin Bus? Cheapest quickest method.

try getting into France or anywhere else without a passport and then come back and tell us how you got on?

try getting into France or anywhere else without a passport and then come back and tell us how you got on?

I can get into France without a passport. I have a UK National ID card.

They are still valid however since the Tory's scrapped the project they will soon be invalid once it clears all the hurdles in Parliament and gets Royal assent

Stinicker wrote: »
    They are still valid however since the Tory's scrapped the project they will soon be invalid once it clears all the hurdles in Parliament and gets Royal assent

Indeed.. but when will that be? No sign yet.

are you the person asking the question?

does it sound likely that the college graduate without a driving licence or any other form of ID has or can apply for a UK National ID card?

not sure of the relevance of your post.

not sure of the relevance of your post.

There was no relevance. I was just showing off.

i'm hugely impressed....

i'm hugely impressed....

God save the queen.

• Advertisement

whats so strange about being a college graduate with out a driving licence.
    Ive never needed to learn how to drive (Im actaully petrified of driving but thats a whole other story)
    I cant afford a car, an there is no point learning to drive if I dont have a car, or means to practice, and I can use public transport.

And schemingbohemia, I do blame myself for not getting my passport sorted. but I wasnt expecting to have to go out side Ireland.

Fingers cross my passport will be ready.

whats so strange about being a college graduate with out a driving licence.
    Ive never needed to learn how to drive (Im actaully petrified of driving but thats a whole other story)
    I cant afford a car, an there is no point learning to drive if I dont have a car, or means to practice, and I can use public transport.

I don't think it's strange. The problem is that Ireland (and soon the UK, too), is in a minority in the EU in that it does not issue it's citizens with a National Identity Card. The result is that other forms of ID are used, for varying purposes, and apart from a passport it is usually a driving licence that is sought.

You should remember though that for hundreds of years British and Irish citizens have been able to move among the Common Travel Area without the need to carry a passport - and that is still the case today. As an Irish citizen you have an entitlement to enter and remain in the United Kingdom where you shall be treated not as a foreigner and as a person "present and settled in the United Kingdom" for immigration purposes.

The CTA existed long before the invention of the EU and it's previous incarnations and it's something that our two nations should do all we can to protect. That said, Northern Ireland is the biggest loophole for illegal immigration for both Ireland and the UK. And that's a problem not easily resolved.

well it isn't really free travel if the airlines are so strict about ID when traveling to the UK, that's all.
    I wish they would introduce a national ID card. it would save people soooo much hassle.
    If I was in Dublin I would get the bus ID, but Im in Cork. and Im not going to fork out another 50 or 60 on a train up, just to get it.

well it isn't really free travel if the airlines are so strict about ID when traveling to the UK, that's all.
    I wish they would introduce a national ID card. it would save people soooo much hassle.
    If I was in Dublin I would get the bus ID, but Im in Cork. and Im not going to fork out another 50 or 60 on a train up, just to get it.

But it's not airlines it's an airline - Ryanair that don't accept other forms of ID. Every other airline will accept the other forms of ID, and I personally think your student ID would suffice, you could ask the British Embassy for advice.

It's too late now as you've already paid for your passport which will arrive in time (there's no backlog at present) but it's not correct to state that weren't other options out there.

I see what you mean, but that's for security purposes / the airlines' audit trail as opposed to for immigration purposes.

Me too. Not that I'd be entitled to one, since I'm not Irish...yet.

I was in the doctor's the other day. As per the norm, I had to wait in a queue for 5 minutes to tell the receptionist my name, date of birth and that I'm here for my appointment.

In Singapore, they have a National ID card system similar to most EU member states. When you attend a doctor's appointment there you enter the clinic and scan your ID card, which automatically informs the doctor that you are present and he calls you when it's time.

So there is one practical example, albeit though small, why National ID cards have benefits to individuals as well as to states.

I personally think your student ID would suffice, you could ask the British Embassy for advice.

The Common Travel Area agreement ensures that Irish citizens are free to enter the UK just as British citizens are. No ID is required, as far as the UK Border Agency is concerned. However, the crux is that a UKBA officer must be satisfied that the person is indeed an Irish citizen. Absolute proof of Irish citizenship comes only in the form of an Irish passport or birth certificate showing birth on the island of Ireland before 2005.

A student ID card, or indeed any form of ID card, is carried merely to fulfil the administrative requirements of the airline or vessel.

For future reference for people without passports, drivers licences, valid student ids - this might be an easy option, the luas ID, seems it can be applied for by post and sent out so no expensive trip to Dublin required, see here
    http://www.luas.ie/ul/197.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Two questions:

1) I filled my passport application form out in blue ink, then I read the top of the front page where it says fill it out in blue ink. Will there be a problem with it in blue ink or should I get another form from the Garda station and fill it out?

2) How big (page wise) is a standard 10 year passport? Just it gives an option of a large 10 year 66 page passport.

Thanks in advance

do it again in black ink, the blue ink is difficult for the scanner to read so do it again in black.

the passport website i think gives the page numbers for the normal passport,might be around 34 pages, only if you're going to be travelling around outside the EU an awful lot would you require a larger passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Does under 16 include people who are currently 16 years old? Travelling to Manchester on the 6th next month and ive no passport anymore. Do I require one and if so what can I get?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement