Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Does under 16 include people who are currently 16 years old? Travelling to Manchester on the 6th next month and ive no passport anymore. Do I require one and if so what can I get?

If you are 16 then you cant be UNDER 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

lynchie wrote: »
    If you are 16 then you cant be UNDER 16?

Very smart but if you ever played football or most sports then you would realise what im talking about. In some case under 16 can mean 16 and under.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not in this case though, once your 16 you are no longer under 16.

Sports may fiddle their age groups slightly just to keep people from having to change teams or leagues part way through the academic year.

robinph wrote: »
    Not in this case though, once your 16 you are no longer under 16.

Sports may fiddle their age groups slightly just to keep people from having to change teams or leagues part way through the academic year.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend I do? Im not a frequent bus user and im not in any school or college and currently employed full time. My passport has gone missing a few months ago too. Obviously I dont qualify for a garda age card yet. Do we have a regular national id?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Okay thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend I do? Im not a frequent bus user and im not in any school or college and currently employed full time. My passport has gone missing a few months ago too. Obviously I dont qualify for a garda age card yet. Do we have a regular national id?

You don't need to actually use the bus / train to get a photo ID from them. Any of the CIE company's photo id cards will do.

• Advertisement

lynchie wrote: »
    You don't need to actually use the bus / train to get a photo ID from them. Any of the CIE company's photo id cards will do.

How much are they and how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

i'm presuming that you're not flying with Ryanair as they require a passport, if you look at my earlier post just above your first post in this thread the luas id is free and you can download the form and apply fairly quickly.

Where are you based? The Dublin Bus ones can be done straight away and are free as far as i know, think the IE ones are mostly done in the main stations (eg Heuston/Connolly), not sure about Bus Eireann.

For future reference for people without passports, drivers licences, valid student ids - this might be an easy option, the luas ID, seems it can be applied for by post and sent out so no expensive trip to Dublin required, see here
    http://www.luas.ie/ul/197.pdf

Link just redirects to luas.ie ? Need one of these or another solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

yeah they've changed the site since i posted that up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You can apply for your Driving learners permit from 16 years of age for a tractor (W) or a moped (A1) it only costs €15 however you really should get your passport situation sorted especially if you plan to do any travelling. You can travel to the UK with photo ID on Aer Lingus but no matter where you travel with Ryanair you will need a passport unless you are a European national whose country issues National ID cards.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    You can apply for your Driving learners permit from 16 years of age for a tractor (W) or a moped (A1) it only costs €15 however you really should get your passport situation sorted especially if you plan to do any travelling. You can travel to the UK with photo ID on Aer Lingus but no matter where you travel with Ryanair you will need a passport unless you are a European national whose country issues National ID cards.

Well ive 19 days to get some sort of acceptable photo id for Aer Lingus travelling to UK. How long would it take for me to get a printed moped provisional?

the luas website was down for a piece of the afternoon just found this now after a tricky google advanced search. The Bus Eireann Photo ID is only issued upon issuance of a commuter ticket and costs €2 ontop of the commuter ticket cost.

Well ive 19 days to get some sort of acceptable photo id for Aer Lingus travelling to UK. How long would it take for me to get a printed moped provisional?

Its been a few years since I had my provisional licence as they were called back then but I remember I was able to go into the Motor Tax office and they printed out the laminated Licence then, upon getting my full licence 2 years ago it was the same situation, however I think they post it out to you now.

Post over in the Learning to Drive forum and they will fill you in on all the details for getting your first driving licence. I am not sure if you have to take some sort of test for a Moped (or if it is only for a Motorcycle as they are two different categories) however you can get the (W) Tractor works vehicle licence easy enough. If you were to have all your stuff togheter and apply soon you should have the learners permit in time for your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Does anyone know the likelyhood of turning up at the passport office tomorrow morning and getting a passport issued tomorrow?
    My g/f and I are travelling to London this Tuesday and I have just discovered that her passport is out of date and that Ryanair do not accept any other form of ID for travel.
    Any suggestions as to what to do would be greatly appreciated.

We are thinking of two options - Dublin tomorrow to try and get an new passport issued, or use ryanair online check in, put in different expiry date and hope they dont pick up on it when boarding.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    use ryanair online check in, put in different expiry date and hope they dont pick up on it when boarding.

This is a risky option of course but if you do get desperate, I would say it is worth trying. If you think about how quickly they hush-hush everyone on board, I cannot imagine they even glance at the expiry date.

There are no reasons for the UK or Irish authorites to ask for a passport on either the outbound or return journey?
    I was reading different posts about laws changing and it has confused me, I was sure there was no need as I think I Easyjet still accept drivers license between Dublin and UK.

Does anyone know the craic with getting a passport issued in one day at the office in Dublin? We would have to drive from Donegal :(

There are no reasons for the UK or Irish authorites to ask for a passport on either the outbound or return journey?

Depends. For an Irish (or UK) citizen, no passport is required. In the UK, you typically flash your boarding pass showing Dublin as the origin and are routed through a separate lane without any further checks. In Dublin, you go through the same immigration as everyone else. You absolutely can tell them you are coming from the UK and then do not need to show a passport. If you happen to have your passport on you though, I find it fastest and easiest to just show it. I even showed my passport when I flew from Cork to Dublin - path of least resistance :).

But to reconfirm, as far as immigration is concerned, no passport is required. 100% certain.

Cheers for that Undo,

I am sure we could manage the false expiry date but it's just the worry of being caught out then costing alot more and causing more hassle.

Why is everything so difficult :(

Why is everything so difficult :(

It is not. Consider yourself lucky. I have enough friends who are non-EU citizens. They need a visa to go anywhere outside the country. It is hard to appreciate what you have...

true enough, Its our fault for not having the passport indate but it is still annoying. I get your point though, any ideas about getting a passport issued on the day in Dublin?

• Advertisement

any ideas about getting a passport issued on the day in Dublin?

It used to be possible if the circumstances were desperate enough. Since the strike is over and everything is back to normal - it might be possible. I am a UK citizen myself though so my advice on Irish passports is based on hearsay :).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Applying for new passport. Have one already

Passport Website, point 2 says
    Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport.

Note 5 of Passport Application Form Notes says
    Mark "X" as appropriate, to indicate whether .......The passport must be submitted for cancellation.......

My preference is to keep the passport as it has some time to run and I may need it before getting the new one.

Which advice is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

I didn't send application until today when I had the chance to talk to passport office. The current situation is that the old passport does NOT need to be submitted with application provided that a photo copy of old passport is.

undo wrote: »
    This is a risky option of course but if you do get desperate, I would say it is worth trying. If you think about how quickly they hush-hush everyone on board, I cannot imagine they even glance at the expiry date.

Got caught :(

Paid easyjet for a flight on the day

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

Were they checking everyone's passports in detail or are they really that good - can they spot that the date is off with a single glance?

What actually happened was the boarding pass that i printed wouldnt scan as it printed the wrong size apparently. So the security guard said it's no problem but you need to go to the desk and they will issue you with a new one. When we were trying to get this they asked for and checked the passport and then refused.

I am still confident if the boarding pass had scanned we would have got on the flight as you say they have only a glance and I think we would have got through.

Expensive mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

i sent mine off the 9th of this month (tuesday) through passport express im flying out on the 29th which is a monday at 6am so i really need it back before then is there anymore delays with issues of passports or has those issues been resolved i know in the summer it was very bad and took ages to get one even through passport express?any help would be great my 1st holiday in 6years so im really hoping that i dont have to cancel because of a slow passport office?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

jay93 wrote: »
    i sent mine off the 9th of this month (tuesday) through passport express im flying out on the 29th which is a monday at 6am so i really need it back before then is there anymore delays with issues of passports or has those issues been resolved i know in the summer it was very bad and took ages to get one even through passport express?any help would be great my 1st holiday in 6years so im really hoping that i dont have to cancel because of a slow passport office?:(

There are no longer any delays. You can expect to have your passport by the 24th at the latest, but probably even before that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Just wondering if there is anyone who works in the PPO who can answer this question, can you pay for your application in the Garda Station if you have a credit card? I worked there years ago myself and I can't imagine how the system would work if this was the case, maybe there has been an update? I can't see anything on the website about it. I was commenting on another forum though and one of the other posters says it's true... can anyone confirm???
    Originally Posted by Lollymcd viewpost.gif
    As far as I am aware you can't pay at the Garda Station. .
    yep can pay by credit card etc. was in on monday doing my little boys. i didnt know either but no use to me as i dont have one!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69083484#post69083484

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

My family are still on South African passports - the young one's passport expires in Jan 2011 - will we be able to enter Ireland in December for a 2 week visit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement