Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

PARARORY wrote: »
    When I apply for a renewal can I keep my old one but its just cancelled?

From the DFA website:
    Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is at odds with the passport application form and An Post who demand the passport be sent back for cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Thats wrong information, if you dont send the original, then they will not process your application

Haddockman wrote: »
    That is at odds with the passport application form and An Post who demand the passport be sent back for cancellation.

The people who work for An Post have nothing to do with the passport office and can only advice you on what to do, they certainly can't demand that you do one thing or another with your passport!!! The rule on sending in a photocopy of your passport rather than the actual passport came into affect when there was all the commotion with the delays this summer, the application forms obviously predate that and have different info.
    dabestman1 wrote: »
    Thats wrong information, if you dont send the original, then they will not process your application

I wonder why they have misinformation in their website? Pretty bad of them that they haven't updated their website if they have gone back to the old system of having to send your actual passport rather than a copy.

I would suggest that the poster calls the passport office and get the info "from the horses mouth"!!! Especially if they don't want to be left stuck without ID :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

If you report it lost/stolen you don't need to send it back:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

elspecia wrote: »
    If you report it lost/stolen you don't need to send it back:D

But you will have to provide extra id and a lost passport stays on your record so i wouldn't chance it !

Send a photo copy of your current passport and the worst that can happen is you'll get a letter asking you to send it in.

If you lose a passport, you can only get a yearly passport. Very inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Myself and my boyfriend are home from 23rd to the 3rd. We live in Spain and need our passports every day as we work in Gibraltar. His passport is up for renewal in March. I know there's a consulate in Fuengirola and I've contacted them, however I think from what I've read that all applications would still have to be sent to Ireland?
    In any case, was having a look at the website and here
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83334
    saw this
    "A new service to prioritise applications for those with immediate travel plans has also been introduced. Applications with proof of travel are now guaranteed to be processed within three working days. Applicants should make contact with the Passport Service & provide this proof where applicable. An additional fee may apply in respect of such new applications. This is the fastest turnaround time for all applications except for those whose travel is required for urgent humanitarian reasons. This 3 day service applies to applications submitted in Ireland only. "

Obviously we'll call the passport office tomorrow, but just wondering if anybody had availed of this 3 day service?

You are correct in that all applications are sent to Ireland from the missions abroad so that is not an option for you at all.

If you are home and are willing to pay extra for the 3 day service go for it. Give the passport office a call in the morning and clarify exactly what is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Ok, about 6 years ago, I was going to Amsterdam and thought I lost my passport. I reported it stolen and had to get an emergency one. The day before the flight, the guy I was travelling with informed me that he had my passport. This pissed me off but I didn't bother informing the passport office as I already got the new one.

A few months ago, I lost my new one. I really need another one for proof of identity and to withdraw funds. My question is, am I in serious sh**e with the passport office as it will be my second passport I've reported lost/ missing?

• Advertisement

You will be only issued limited passports for the next few years. Typically yearly ones.

Ok, about 6 years ago, I was going to Amsterdam and thought I lost my passport. I reported it stolen and had to get an emergency one. The day before the flight, the guy I was travelling with informed me that he had my passport. This pissed me off but I didn't bother informing the passport office as I already got the new one.

A few months ago, I lost my new one. I really need another one for proof of identity and to withdraw funds. My question is, am I in serious sh**e with the passport office as it will be my second passport I've reported lost/ missing?

Have you got the previously lost passport? If so send this with the application but still declare your most current as lost, they will change the status of your previously lost passport from lost to cancelled and it won't stand against you. You may be issued with a short validity passport this time but after that you should be fine. Put a note in with your application explaining everything and try to hold onto your new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Hi Guys, i am going away on Jan 14th and will be handing in passport forms tomorrow using passport express....will i get it back in time? or will i have to go to Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That's wrong, you will be issued with a 2 yr restricted passport ONLY if you have lost 2 or more passports and if they are in date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

elspecia wrote: »
    Hey all i sent away my passport forms yesterday, all stamped and everything, and i used a passport express, and i know it says 10 working days and it will be delivered.

But with it being the xmas period and all, would the first week in January(3 through 7) be a realistic time frame to get my passport?

Also note a mate of mine sent off for his three weeks ago and got in 6 working days using the express option.

Cheers in advance for the feedback

I got my passport today, so it only took 4 working days to get it

Not true, I just got me passport today and it was a 10 year one and i have lost my previous passport

Their policy 10 years ago was only a 1 year passport would be issued where a passport was lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

I badly need to know if passport office is open tomorrow? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I'm supposed to be going on holiday to Egypt on 4 January. It just occurred to me yesterday to double-check the expiry date on my passport :o because I knew there was a few months left on it. But it expires in April and the passport needs to be valid for 6 months for travelling to Egypt.
    I phoned the passport office in Dublin this morning and was told that I needed to get the application etc to them today as they need 3 days to process emergency requests. She said there was no guarantee it would be ready by Friday and they're closed Monday. I told her I'm in Donegal and couldn't get the paperwork to them today and she "helpfully" told me that they would need it no later than 2pm today - this was at 11.30am. :(
    Anyway, I ran around today getting new photos, form signed at Garda station, etc. So my question is, is there any point going to Dublin tomorrow and spending the day at the passport office? Would it make any difference to go the passport office in Cork instead? How strict are the Egyptians about the 6 month thing? :confused:
    Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Can you rattle up your local TD? They can get you a passport in 24 hours.

Was just wondering about that possibility. Thought that kind of thing was frowned upon now!

• Advertisement

Well there is an election coming up. ;) Needs must in these situations.

I did use my local TD once before in a dire emergency. I offered to reimburse him for going out of his way to help me, but he would have none of it and asked that I make a donation to charity instead.

Sounds like a plan - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Meant to be going england next weekend but just noticed my the first pages of where visa get stamped are missing from my passport. what are the chances it won't be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Meant to be going england next weekend but just noticed my the first pages of where visa get stamped are missing from my passport. what are the chances it won't be accepted?

Who are you flying with?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Ryan Air..was hoping i can just hand it in with the photo facing up but now im thinkin if i have time to get a new 1 rather thsn risking it i will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Guys I'm supposed to be heading away to London on Thursday but my passport is out of date. I have everything I need to get a new one (photos, birth cert, form, stamped and signed at the garda station) but the office isn't open until Tuesday so all I can do is wait until then.

I checked the citizens information site and saw that urgent passports cost an extra €55 on top of the standard fee. Will I be able to do this? I'm going to see family over there but there's no death or bereavement. Will they give me a new one in time for Thursday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

get there first thing on tuesday, I'd say its possible to get it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

get there first thing on tuesday, I'd say its possible to get it in time.

Do you think it will matter that there's no emergency? Or should I say there is just to be safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Guys I'm supposed to be heading away to London on Thursday but my passport is out of date. I have everything I need to get a new one (photos, birth cert, form, stamped and signed at the garda station) but the office isn't open until Tuesday so all I can do is wait until then.

I checked the citizens information site and saw that urgent passports cost an extra €55 on top of the standard fee. Will I be able to do this? I'm going to see family over there but there's no death or bereavement. Will they give me a new one in time for Thursday?

Cant you use a driver's license or similar for the UK?

• Advertisement

Only with Aer Lingus can you use a Driving Licence. Ryanair demand a passport even for internal flights within Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement