Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Haddockman wrote: »
    Only with Aer Lingus can you use a Driving Licence. Ryanair demand a passport even for internal flights within Ireland.

Is that not against EU law? The EU directive (can find the number) says that 'free' travel within the EU can be done with an ID card of sorts .... perhaps a driver's license is not such a thing but I know the Italian and others have a simple ID page thing that they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Chaz wrote: »
    Is that not against EU law? The EU directive (can find the number) says that 'free' travel within the EU can be done with an ID card of sorts .... perhaps a driver's license is not such a thing but I know the Italian and others have a simple ID page thing that they use.
    Until the government here starts issuing ID cards and joins Shengen the status quo will continue to exist.

Our driving licences are not compliant ID for the purposes of EU travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Until the government here starts issuing ID cards and joins Shengen the status quo will continue to exist.

Our driving licences are not compliant ID for the purposes of EU travel.

Ah yes ... same with UK - recall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

To be correct, joining Schengen is not required for EU-wide travel with a National ID card. Ireland just needs to issue it's citizens with National ID cards.
    Chaz wrote: »
    Ah yes ... same with UK - recall now.

Almost same with the UK. The UK currently has a National ID card scheme and 13000 UK nationals (I'm one of them) currently hold a valid National ID card which can be used for passport-free travel throughout the EU and beyond.

..until 21st January 2011 when UK National ID cards shall be rendered useless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

We're hoping to travel to Bella Italia early in June. Any recommendations on transfers from the airport to the campsite. Planning on flying with Ryanair to Bergamo with 3 kids. Any info appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blackberer

Where is your campsite?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Car hire is the best way to go, there is so much to do around the lake.

There is a train station in Peschiera del Garda which you can walk to Belle Italia in 30 mins.

Train from airport is a bout 15 min in taxi.

Don't know how much a taxi from airport to campsite would be but it is a 45 min drive on the motorway, but you need to consider the taxi will probably charge you double as there wont be a fare back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Applied for my passport yesterday morning around 10AM, got it today at 3.30PM, might have gotten it sooner if I went into town earlier. Worked out well though, cost me an extra €55 on top of the standard fee but well worth it for a one day wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

ajc100 wrote: »
    Car hire is the best way to go, there is so much to do around the lake.

There is a train station in Peschiera del Garda which you can walk to Belle Italia in 30 mins.

Train from airport is a bout 15 min in taxi.

Don't know how much a taxi from airport to campsite would be but it is a 45 min drive on the motorway, but you need to consider the taxi will probably charge you double as there wont be a fare back.

Agree, If you can manage it hire a car, A TAXI you are looking at €80 to €120 multiply that by 2 and you nearly have the price of hiring a car. There is so much to do within an hour of Bella Italia. Mt Baldo, Verona, Milan, Sirmione and a host of stunning places to visit. (Drive to Milan is an hour and 15min) (Verona is about 30min)That all said about hiring a car the public transport is quite good with a bus stop at the gates to the site. and about 20-30minute walk to train station We have been there for the last 4 years but are taking a break this year and doing something else. We were there last year during a heatwave, especially our last 4 days when it was 40+degres and it sickened me, being fair haired and fair skinned, mind you we were there in mid July and we usually go in early to mid June when it nice mid 20s.
    On the site you have 2 restauraunts both of which are quite good and not expensive.
    There is a small supermarket but if you have a car there is Lidl and Spar in Pescheira, you would need a car to get to Spar. There is also a sports superstore beside Spar so if your kids need trainers or sports gear its very cheap and just beside this you also have a McDonalds.
    Depending on how you want your holiday to be we used to buy a pack of Pizza's, have a B.B.Q and go to the take away on site and buy chips.The children really enjoyed this. You dont have to spend small fortune on eating out.
    The swimming pools are very family oriented and great for children. You also have the lake and I highly recommend a "dip" if the weather is very hot.

There are theme parks which you can see from the lake, Gardaland, Waterworld, You can get good deals on admission to these. If I can find recipts will post more info. There is also a safari park not 2 far away and I brought my 2 eldest to an adventue park and it was stunning, ZIP WIRES and that sort of thing.
    There is a good kids club on the site with plenty of activity

If you have any questions just P.M me. I highly recommend this area, its beautiful, relaxing, peaceful, busy, entertaining................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

Unless you have specific places you want to go and know you will use a car i would say train is the best bet. We barely left the campsite there was so much to do. Everything that isnt in walking distance is easily accessable by train, bus or boat. There are usually taxis outside the trainstation which would only be a 5 min drive anyway so i would say train would be best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated. We will be arriving about 8PM in Milan so a taxi may be the preferred option at that time. Havent driven abroad before and not too sure I want to try it first time at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Applied for my passport yesterday morning around 10AM, got it today at 3.30PM, might have gotten it sooner if I went into town earlier. Worked out well though, cost me an extra €55 on top of the standard fee but well worth it for a one day wait.

You got it in 2 days but i bet that the date for collection was actually today ( 6th )

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

how long does it take to get an emergency passport??

Usually a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Travelling to and from Ireland.

Hey guys, currently living in Wales but my passport expired today. I'm wondering if I can still use my passport as proof of identity and that I'm an Irish citizen.

I'll be flying with Aer Lingus in February.

Thanks.

No. An expired passport is worthless.

No. An expired passport is worthless.

Is it different on planes than on ferries? I asked the guy checking my passport from Holyhead three days ago if it's ok to use it and he said it would be fine but I'm not sure if that's just for the ferry.

I have a University ID and a Gym ID. If I brought these with the passport would it back up my identity?

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a driving licence?

Why don't you renew your passport and stop the uncertainty.

Do you have a driving licence?

Why don't you renew your passport and stop the uncertainty.

No driving licence and can't afford to buy a new one.

Ah well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Fart wrote: »
    but I'm not sure if that's just for the ferry.

I have a University ID and a Gym ID. If I brought these with the passport would it back up my identity?

It's just the ferry. You really have no choice besides taking the ferry back or getting a new passport over there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I need a new passport, have run out of pages.

My question is: what happens to the flights I've already booked for the next year? Do I have to pay a fee to change my details? None of them are Ryanair so hopefully I won't have to. One of the flights will be directly after I get my new passport as I'll be going home just for one week to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

dory wrote: »
    I need a new passport, have run out of pages.

My question is: what happens to the flights I've already booked for the next year? Do I have to pay a fee to change my details? None of them are Ryanair so hopefully I won't have to. One of the flights will be directly after I get my new passport as I'll be going home just for one week to get it.

Usually you don't give your passport number to the airline unless your going to Spain or USA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Fart wrote: »
    I have a University ID
    If it's an international student card, you can use it with Aer Lingus if you're a British or an Irish citizen.
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

• Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html#irluk

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dee_f

I'm renewing my passport - i need to put in my home address - do i use my address which attached to my ppsn number (ive moved since) or my parents address which would have been my home? Im confused

Simply use the address where you are right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Usually you don't give your passport number to the airline unless your going to Spain or USA

By gum you're right! Never noticed that before. Sorted! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

We have booked to stay there around the same period also. We have 4 small kids so have decided upon on a pre arranged transfer (mini bus). Not cheap....but the safest bet for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

iangobl wrote: »
    Unless you have specific places you want to go and know you will use a car i would say train is the best bet. We barely left the campsite there was so much to do. Everything that isnt in walking distance is easily accessable by train, bus or boat. There are usually taxis outside the trainstation which would only be a 5 min drive anyway so i would say train would be best

Im a bit lazy;) so with the few trips I had planned we hired a car.
    kaltz wrote: »
    Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated. We will be arriving about 8PM in Milan so a taxi may be the preferred option at that time. Havent driven abroad before and not too sure I want to try it first time at night.

Its no problem driving over there. From Bergamo its 40/45 minutes to Bella Italia. The A4 runs right by the Airport. Once you get out of airport Carpark follow the GREEN signs you do a loop and end up driving back by the Airport and it straight from there
    If you go to Google maps and type in Orio al Serio Airport Italy as your start point and Peschiera del Garda as your destination you will see how handy it is (I could do it)
    If you hire a car dont let them give you anything smaller than you booked. This year we booked a ford focus (or similar) and they tried to give me a Fiat Panda for 2 adults and 3 kids and suitcases!!! I said no way I want what I paid for and despite having a carpark full of cars they still wanted me to take a Panda. When I moved in to office with kids and suit cases all blocking up the place they soon found me a ford cougar. Take photos before you leave carpark of front/ rear and sides and look out for any scrapes. If there are any poit them out.

If you do take a taxi make your price before you get in
    Jamey_29 wrote: »
    We have booked to stay there around the same period also. We have 4 small kids so have decided upon on a pre arranged transfer (mini bus). Not cheap....but the safest bet for my kids.

We didnt look into this but another family done this and hired a car for 3 days when there and done there travelling then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

Yup this is what we plan on doing. We're over the for 3 weeks and we'll get a car for 3-4 days somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Hi my passport is expiring in June so I have to apply for a new one for work (has to be valid for min 1 year).

I was born in usa but have been here all my life and am an irish citizen with an irish passport.

When I was applying for my 1st passport (the current one) I was 17 and had to provide all sorts of divorce certificates/marriage certificates and stuff like that.

My question is, when I apply for my new one will I have to provide all of those type documents again or will i not have to prove i'm an irish citizen again since i have an actual passport to apply with this time round?

Do you reckon i'll just have to provide the regular documents that everyone else does?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement