Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

wicks wrote: »
    Hi has anyone applied to replace a lost passport since the new regulations came into force on Jan 17th 2011. I brought in my application today but have been told i won't get it till 16th Feb - is there any chance i'll get it earlier - I really need it for work. Tnks

Do you need it for the 15th feb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wicks

these are the new requirements:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

i really need it by the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

As it is so soon after the start of the new requirements, there is probably no one yet who would have experience of your particular situation and be able to give an answer to this query.
    All you can do is explain your reason to the Passport Office and they would probably do their best for you.

For normal renewals by Passport Express, it is possible to get a passport earlier than the expected date, in off-peak times.
    For example, in November last, a passport was received in 7 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

If it comes down to it just head into the passport office and they can issue one within 24 hours at a fee if you give them a good reason to believe.

A mate of mine was told by someone he needed proof of travel to get an emergency one but when he went in and asked nicely and convinced them of a genuine reason they allowed him one.

I need mine by the 15th and originally posted it over 2.5 weeks ago, they sent it back on monday which scared the **** out of me (work) but it was just the photo was bad. Got the bus into the passport office with new photos on wednesday and told them i needed it quickish for whatever reason and they posted it today according to the tracking site.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Rycn wrote: »
    If it comes down to it just head into the passport office and they can issue one within 24 hours at a fee if you give them a good reason to believe. . . .

"First time adult applicants/Lost and stolen passports
    . . . It should be noted that it will not be possible to expedite any application in these categories."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just so that everyone knows....if you are calling to the passport office to PICK UP a passport thats ready, you don't need to take a ticket and stand in line downstairs. You can just go up the stairs and collect it there.

If I had known that, it would have saved me a hour of my time and an €80 car clampers charge for being back late to my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Just so that everyone knows....if you are calling to the passport office to PICK UP a passport thats ready, you don't need to take a ticket and stand in line downstairs. You can just go up the stairs and collect it there.

If I had known that, it would have saved me a hour of my time and an €80 car clampers charge for being back late to my car.

Or you could read the sign inside the door stating collections are on the 1st floor;)

Bad luck on the clamping !

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sorry if this question has been answered before but...

i want to pick up a passport today for my 16 y g daughter, can you still apply for and collect on the same day???
    whats the average waiting time?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I haven't been able to find my question elsewhere in this thread. I am traveling to Poland for four days and my passport will be within the last six months of its validity. Does that have an impact on my ability to travel? I know for some countries it does but I do not know the arrangement between EU member states. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will be valid for your trip. For EU member states it only needs to be valid for the duration of your trip. Many travel agents do not know this and spout the 6 month play it safe line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Within the EU, your passport is valid for travel until the last second of its validity. No extra six months required. This is an EU law that cannot be overridden by member states - so the same rule applies EU-wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭baldbear

Does anyone know how accurate this is? I went to the office and the lady i was talking to was very helpful and said the 16 Feb it would be ready for collection.

My application hasn't changed on there tracking link, Just says received and registered. I was wondering could it be ready before this date with the website not actually been updated at all?

Thanks

It goes from registered to ready very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Folks need to get a new passport, have only realised it will be out of date during my travel period and want to know can I go into a Gardai station and get my photos signed or does it have to be my local station? As Pearse St Station is a lot easier to get to than my own local one and either way the Gardai signing them wont't know me from the next guy and is there anything I need to bring with me?

Just bring your old passport and some other form of ID. They should sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My son has a double barrelled surname (on his birthcert) but only uses the last surname (he's 13) - we can't change the birth cert as there was some law brought in before he was born. We're applying for his first passport in the coming weeks and just want the last part of his surname on the passport (if that makes sense) can that be done. Oh me and his dad are still toghether and have other children who just have one surname....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

deelite wrote: »
    My son has a double barrelled surname (on his birthcert) but only uses the last surname (he's 13) - we can't change the birth cert as there was some law brought in before he was born. We're applying for his first passport in the coming weeks and just want the last part of his surname on the passport (if that makes sense) can that be done. Oh me and his dad are still toghether and have other children who just have one surname....

Hi you'll need to provide proof of usage of the name going back 2 yrs.

As in a letter from his school stating he is known as Paul XXXX and has been a pupil for x amount of yrs.

Also if he has a bank account or credit union account in that name as well a statement.

And perhaps the HSE card will hid ppsn number and name on it.

Also make sure he signs the form in the single barrel name as well !

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rupert Ffanes Muir

Hi All

I sent off my passport renewal this week gone but I actually think now they will reject it due to the photographs.
    Was is the actual process for rejected applications - do you have to re- submit a completely new application & start everything from scratch and is there a penalty charge?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

just wonder if anyone has an idea on the turnaround time of passport renewal application sent if off direct myself not via the post passport service.

they charge my visa on thursday last but i never took note of the tracking no on the application.

tks

neonitrix

neonitrix wrote: »
    just wonder if anyone has an idea on the turnaround time of passport renewal application sent if off direct myself not via the post passport service.

they charge my visa on thursday last but i never took note of the tracking no on the application.

tks

neonitrix

left a renewal application into the offices on tuesday 8th feb.

recieved the passport in the post on friday 18th.

i think they aim for a 10 working day turnaround, or you can select an express 3 working day turnaround for an extra fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    left a renewal application into the offices on tuesday 8th feb.

recieved the passport in the post on friday 18th.

i think they aim for a 10 working day turnaround, or you can select an express 3 working day turnaround for an extra fee.

Can you select an express 3 day working turnaround if you go into their office? I have a college field trip, leaving this day two weeks, and only just realised I never renewed my passport. :o

Its 10 working days from today, but that includes today (office closed) and the day I leave, and its a morning flight, so really its only 8 working days. Too soon to risk it methinks.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Can you select an express 3 day working turnaround if you go into their office? I have a college field trip, leaving this day two weeks, and only just realised I never renewed my passport. :o

Its 10 working days from today, but that includes today (office closed) and the day I leave, and its a morning flight, so really its only 8 working days. Too soon to risk it methinks.

yes you can, you need to bring proof of flight with you.
    theres an extra fee as well... i think around €30-40

It will cost you €50 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Was is the actual process for rejected applications - do you have to re- submit a completely new application & start everything from scratch and is there a penalty charge?

If there is a problem with the photos, they will send you a Freepost envelope so you can send in new ones. No penalty charge, not even postage charge for the new photos :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It will cost you €50 extra.

Nigs...

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

does it cost the same to get a passport renewed as it would to get a passport for the firsttime?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishinVan

Hey Everyone,

I'm living in Vancouver, Canada (have since I was young and am A dual citizen) I've applied for my Irish passport (1st Irish) and it's "registered" in the system as of Feb. 17th. It says on the tracking to be "issued" 22/02/2011 but it's now the 2nd and it still is saying the same thing.... Should I be concerned or is this the "norm"?
    Thanks

Normal enough carry on really. It should be all done in the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Hey guys, quick question! I'm flying next Thursday at short notice so needed to renew my passport, I've been in the passport office today and it all went ok, and my passport is ready for collection on wednesday, but I'm wondering do I have to pick it up personally or could my girlfriend pick it up for me? I'll be working Wednesday, I probably could take a few hours off but would prefer not to, would they allow this? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement