Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 siobhan.m

TheElf wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question! I'm flying next Thursday at short notice so needed to renew my passport, I've been in the passport office today and it all went ok, and my passport is ready for collection on wednesday, but I'm wondering do I have to pick it up personally or could my girlfriend pick it up for me? I'll be working Wednesday, I probably could take a few hours off but would prefer not to, would they allow this? Thanks

I collected my boyfriends a couple of years ago (2009) and there was no problem, so unless things have changed since then it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Cheers Siobhan! Will give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

I have lost a couple of passports recently and my last one was a 2 year which I lost is there any chance of getting another 2 year or do you reckon it will be a shorter time such as 1 year.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I reckon a trip to the DFA's offices is on the cards for you. You are going to have to do alot of explaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

MiCrOMaN1 wrote: »
    I have lost a couple of passports recently and my last one was a 2 year which I lost is there any chance of getting another 2 year or do you reckon it will be a shorter time such as 1 year.

Thanks.

1 yr, if you lost the 2 yr it shows you can't even hold on to a passport for 2 yrs so this time tehy'll see can you manage 365 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

neonitrix wrote: »
    just wonder if anyone has an idea on the turnaround time of passport renewal application sent if off direct myself not via the post passport service.

they charge my visa on thursday last but i never took note of the tracking no on the application.

tks

neonitrix

As yet i still havent received my new passport and i cant find my tracking no they charged my c card on the 16th Feb. should i start to panic yet?

and does anyone know if i can get the tracking no over the phone from them.

tks

neonitrix

If you do not apply by Passport Express or in person at an office the time is roughly about 4 weeks.

If the application has gone through a certain process they will be able to find you with name and dob...........but only if it has gone so far in the system.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Quick question, hope someone can help.

I'm trying to renew my passport as it expired last month. However I'm currently living and working in Milan.

I dropped into the consolate and got a passport renewal form, took the fotos etc. But I'm having major problems in finding someone to sign the witness section. I've tried the manager of the bank where I've had my account for a good 5 months, my doctor and the police station, all have said that they won't, can't because of Italian law. The consolate have told me that in theory these people should be able to and gave my a document in Italian stating the purpose of the witness section of the form, that there are no legal repercussions etc.

So, in short, has anyone out there been in a similar situation in Italy, or even Spain/France/Germany? Who did you get to sign the form?

kaki wrote: »
    Quick question, hope someone can help.

I'm trying to renew my passport as it expired last month. However I'm currently living and working in Milan.

I dropped into the consolate and got a passport renewal form, took the fotos etc. But I'm having major problems in finding someone to sign the witness section. I've tried the manager of the bank where I've had my account for a good 5 months, my doctor and the police station, all have said that they won't, can't because of Italian law. The consolate have told me that in theory these people should be able to and gave my a document in Italian stating the purpose of the witness section of the form, that there are no legal repercussions etc.

So, in short, has anyone out there been in a similar situation in Italy, or even Spain/France/Germany? Who did you get to sign the form?

You can use a Justice of the Peach or Notary Public. An accountant or Lawyer can also do it as well.

Also if they bank/doctor won't do it i'd be looking to use some one elses services in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Also if they bank/doctor won't do it i'd be looking to use some one elses services in the future.

Why would you want to change your bank or doctor just because they are uncomfortable signing an unfamiliar foreign form written in a foreign language that is completely unrelated to the services they are meant to provide to you?

• Advertisement

undo wrote: »
    Why would you want to change your bank or doctor just because they are uncomfortable signing an unfamiliar foreign form written in a foreign language that is completely unrelated to the services they are meant to provide to you?

If you are dealing with a bank and have an account they must be happy that you are who you say you are. Therefore being a witness that you are who you say you are shouldn't be a problem. I do see where your coming from language wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

I do see where your coming from language wise.

Especially in Italy, this really is an issue. Hardly any bank employee would know English well enough to be 100% what it is that they are signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What is the situation with renewing a passport before it expires? Mine is gone in October I think but I'm considering going to the US in August, so I think I need a new passport for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

danthefan wrote: »
    What is the situation with renewing a passport before it expires? Mine is gone in October I think but I'm considering going to the US in August, so I think I need a new passport for that.

As long as you depart the US before your passport expires, you're grand.

Indeed that is the case. Travel agents will try and scare you with their standard 6 months speil.

Indeed that is the case. Travel agents will try and scare you with their standard 6 months speil.

But some countrys do ask for 6 months or more. Best advice is always to contact the embassy of the country in question as they are the only ones that can answer such questions.

That is the best advice, I just hate the way a travel agent will just say 6 months regardless of the country in question.

You can use a Justice of the Peach or Notary Public. An accountant or Lawyer can also do it as well.

If you are dealing with a bank and have an account they must be happy that you are who you say you are. Therefore being a witness that you are who you say you are shouldn't be a problem. I do see where your coming from language wise.
    Especially in Italy, this really is an issue. Hardly any bank employee would know English well enough to be 100% what it is that they are signing.

Thanks for replying guys. Just checking this now, have been up the walls.

I will be moving my bank and doctor actually, not completely down to this issue although it did influence it.

I had issues already with my doctor (misdiagnosed mononucleosis/glandular fever as a throat infection, accused me of being lazy and needing to do gymnastics). Her refusal to send me on for blood tests (which I later got done privately at expense) and to sign a medical cert meant that I missed 2 months of work and almost lost my job. I naively thought that, having being pretty poorely done by by her recently, she might listen to what the Italian embassy in Rome were telling her, give me 2 minutes of her time and help me out of a bind. Not so.

I've had my account with the bank for almost 2 years, I'm in there personally at least once a month paying rent and my university fees, I thought they would oblige. But instead they kept me hanging for 2 weeks, then told me that their legal department had said that "they weren't legally obliged to sign it, so they wouldn't." That's a pretty ****ty attitude to have I think, even for Italy.

I have to mention as well that the consulate gave me a letter in Italian, with the consulate's stamp declaring that there are no legal repurcussions, what's invloved in the process. I showed this to both the bank and doctor (and police), it didn't really help.

I'm pissed off that I've wasted so much time pissing around waiting for answers and refusals from people. My passport's now out by almost a month, and by law I should carry a valid identity document with me at all times in Italy. So if the police stop me, I'm ****ed.

Am trying to pay a notary to do it tomorrow morning. What a load of heartache over a small section in a form though!

Thanks for replying guys. Just checking this now, have been up the walls.

I will be moving my bank and doctor actually, not completely down to this issue although it did influence it.

I had issues already with my doctor (misdiagnosed mononucleosis/glandular fever as a throat infection, accused me of being lazy and needing to do gymnastics). Her refusal to send me on for blood tests (which I later got done privately at expense) and to sign a medical cert meant that I missed 2 months of work and almost lost my job. I naively thought that, having being pretty poorely done by by her recently, she might listen to what the Italian embassy in Rome were telling her, give me 2 minutes of her time and help me out of a bind. Not so.

I've had my account with the bank for almost 2 years, I'm in there personally at least once a month paying rent and my university fees, I thought they would oblige. But instead they kept me hanging for 2 weeks, then told me that their legal department had said that "they weren't legally obliged to sign it, so they wouldn't." That's a pretty ****ty attitude to have I think, even for Italy.

I have to mention as well that the consulate gave me a letter in Italian, with the consulate's stamp declaring that there are no legal repurcussions, what's invloved in the process. I showed this to both the bank and doctor (and police), it didn't really help.

I'm pissed off that I've wasted so much time pissing around waiting for answers and refusals from people. My passport's now out by almost a month, and by law I should carry a valid identity document with me at all times in Italy. So if the police stop me, I'm ****ed.

Am trying to pay a notary to do it tomorrow morning. What a load of heartache over a small section in a form though!

But a very important part.

Did i mention a peace commissioner can do it as well, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

A notary should have no problem completing the form for you.

I had to use a notary here in Bulgaria to get my passport renewed, the embassy in Sofia gave me a list of them and i simply went to one. I was charged €25 for the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

But a very important part.

Did i mention a peace commissioner can do it as well, let us know how you get on.
    I don't think there is such a thing in Italy.

Yeah, looking on Wikipedia it seems that Peace Commissioners just exist in Ireland.

Anyway fingers crossed the notary will do it for me tomorrow, at least I'll know for next time to not bother trying to get the banks/doctors etc to do it.

Will let you know how I get on!

Yeah, looking on Wikipedia it seems that Peace Commissioners just exist in Ireland.

They Justices of the Peace in Australia. I think they're the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Hi all, just wondering if any knows how long it should take for me to get my Passport changed in to my married name? I live in Shetland and was married here 5 year ago but never got round to changing my passport over yet, now I'm wanting to get my passport changed over and apply for a drivers licence in my married name. I've always been worried about sending my passport off in case there is a reason I need it for getting off the isles and on to the mainland, (Yep I even have to have it on internal flights here). I am needing it by May as I am heading away then. Do I apply through the UK embassy or Dublin?

You need to send it to the UK embassy. You should have it back in 10 days. There is a Irish passport express service available from UK post offices.

I've always been worried about sending my passport off in case there is a reason I need it for getting off the isles and on to the mainland, (Yep I even have to have it on internal flights here).
    Presumably, you're an Irish citizen. You do not need a passport to travel from Shetland to Britain, or between anywhere else within the Common Travel Area.
    You need to send it to the UK embassy. You should have it back in 10 days. There is a Irish passport express service available from UK post offices.
    Only in Northern Ireland and (IIRC) one in Glasgow and one in Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Help help help , My aunt is travelling with Ryanair first thing Thursday morning , she sent in her application with passport express and rang the passport office today as it still hadnt arrived and they told her it only arrived on 15 March and with St. Patricks day as well theres no way it will be ready to travel on Thursday. She explained her plans but was met with sorry but theres nothing we can do.
    Does anyone know if she went to the passport office tomorrow morning with her travel documents would they be at all helpful to her by rushing her passport?
    I know my Mam got one in a day for my sister when she was picked to go on a school trip but she had to bring a letter from the school but it proves it can be done.
    Has anybody any ideas whether she'll be successful.

She will have to pay €50 extra for the emergency service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Will the €50 fee guarantee it being ready on the same day or is there only certain circumstances like a funeral which qualify for the emergency service ??
    The passport is already there and has been registered so its not like its a completely new application so I hope that might help.

• Advertisement

Urgent travel is usually good enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement