Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Thanks a million for your help , I think she'd pay any fee at this stage so heres hoping.
    I'll let you know how it goes , thanks again. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Presumably, you're an Irish citizen. You do not need a passport to travel from Shetland to Britain, or between anywhere else within the Common Travel Area.

Only in Northern Ireland and (IIRC) one in Glasgow and one in Liverpool.

Yes, you do. All airlines now require photographic ID even on domestic flights. Not by Government standards but by their own policies. Phoned today to find out and was advised I need my passport......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yes, you do. All airlines now require photographic ID even on domestic flights.
    Photographic ID does not equal a passport. It could also be a bus pass or work's ID.
    Not by Government standards but by their own policies. Phoned today to find out and was advised I need my passport......
    Perhaps that's the policy of the particular airline you called.

Again, and not withstanding that carriers are entitled to impose their own regulations, British and Irish citizens are entitled to move among the CTA without with need to carry a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    Help help help , My aunt is travelling with Ryanair first thing Thursday morning , she sent in her application with passport express and rang the passport office today as it still hadnt arrived and they told her it only arrived on 15 March and with St. Patricks day as well theres no way it will be ready to travel on Thursday. She explained her plans but was met with sorry but theres nothing we can do.
    Does anyone know if she went to the passport office tomorrow morning with her travel documents would they be at all helpful to her by rushing her passport?
    I know my Mam got one in a day for my sister when she was picked to go on a school trip but she had to bring a letter from the school but it proves it can be done.
    Has anybody any ideas whether she'll be successful.

She was there first thing this morning and they said its in balbriggan :eek:
    and theres no direct line to that office so we're trying to find any way to contact them to see can we collect it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

Hi All,

i dont know if i am in the right forum, but i have to renew my 3 year old daughters passport and when i went to the post office i was told that in addition to her birth cert and old passport i needed my birth cert and passport to be sent also. i ended getting into an intense debate at the counter with this woman, as i am sure for renewals only i need her birth cert, exisiting passport and new photos. I went back later after trying the passport office and citizens advice to no avail, and she then told me i needed 4 photos not 2???? she told me these are all new rules, then why arent they published for all to know?

in the end i went to the PO in the town centre and they accepted the passport application as it was, they had no issues with it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I suppose I will have to wait and see if my application comes back!!

thank you :(

• Advertisement

Mo MO wrote: »
    Hi All,

i dont know if i am in the right forum, but i have to renew my 3 year old daughters passport and when i went to the post office i was told that in addition to her birth cert and old passport i needed my birth cert and passport to be sent also. i ended getting into an intense debate at the counter with this woman, as i am sure for renewals only i need her birth cert, exisiting passport and new photos. I went back later after trying the passport office and citizens advice to no avail, and she then told me i needed 4 photos not 2???? she told me these are all new rules, then why arent they published for all to know?

in the end i went to the PO in the town centre and they accepted the passport application as it was, they had no issues with it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I suppose I will have to wait and see if my application comes back!!

thank you :(

The problem is that since 01/01/2005 children born on this island have no automatic right to Irish citizenship, unless at least one parent is a British or an Irish citizen at the time of the child's birth.

For this reason, your birth certificate (or Irish passport, especially if you were born outside Ireland) is required to prove your daughter's right to Irish citizenship.

The problem is that since 01/01/2005 children born on this island have no automatic right to Irish citizenship, unless at least one parent is a British or an Irish citizen at the time of the child's birth.

For this reason, your birth certificate (or Irish passport, especially if you were born outside Ireland) is required to prove your daughter's right to Irish citizenship.

I am Irish and my daughters passport is a renewal??? so i would have previously submitted my passport and birth cert. I dont have an issue with providing my passport or birth cert on a first issue basis, but what i am asking is, is same needed for a renewal??

very confusing i know!

Mo MO wrote: »
    I am Irish and my daughters passport is a renewal??? so i would have previously submitted my passport and birth cert. I dont have an issue with providing my passport or birth cert on a first issue basis, but what i am asking is, is same needed for a renewal??

very confusing i know!

Proof of entitlement to Irish citizenship is still required, even if an Irish passport has been issued before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DeeplyD!ppy

Mo Mo

you are completly correct. There is no need for you to send your documentation in again once you are returning your daughters previous passport.

Every application need to have proof of entitlement to citizenship and her previous passport covers this.

Mo Mo

you are completly correct. There is no need for you to send your documentation in again once you are returning your daughters previous passport.

Every application need to have proof of entitlement to citizenship and her previous passport covers this.

thank you Deeply Dippy, I actually had email from Passport office confirming it this morning. however they said from now on all applications need 4 photos not 2, so im afraid it will be retunring as i only had 2 signed photos :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Hi all,
    Submitted my form via passport express on the 10th March and it came up as received on the 11th March on the website and stayed on registered.
    Gave them the 10 working days and its still not here, checked the website again and its on the 'checking phase'

Rang up and explained that I need this before the 30th otherwise I lose out on my J1 fee of 800 euros.
    Was told to call back monday morning.

So what Im asking is, realistically what are my chances of getting it before the 30th?
    I should have called earlier in the week because obviously their 'guarantee' of having it processed in 10 days isnt exactly true.
    I also see that on the site it now says they received it on the 25th and NOT the 11th which the site had displayed earlier today, I've got the receipt from the post office to show I sent it earlier than that.

If I end up losing my J1 I'm going to be pissed to say the least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should have it by the 30th. Ring them Monday and let them know that you posted it on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The name on my passport is in Irish, and my flights with Ryanair were booked with my name in English. Will I still be able to get on the flight without paying the name change fee?

Ask Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The name on my passport is in Irish, and my flights with Ryanair were booked with my name in English. Will I still be able to get on the flight without paying the name change fee?

Have you checked if there is an entry on the Observations page of your passport saying:
    "THE BEARER OF THIS PASSPORT IS ALSO KNOWN AS: .........." ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hi can anyone tell me if you are required to enter your passport number when flying to the U.S. ?

I am hoping to go to Chicago in July and I want to book flights asap before the prices sky rocket however I need to renew my passport which expires in October and so I'll have a different passport number.

Thanks in advance!

Hi can anyone tell me if you are required to enter your passport number when flying to the U.S. ?
    You do, but it is not required when booking tickets. You current passport will be good enough for your July trip.

You do, but it is not required when booking tickets. You current passport will be good enough for your July trip.

How so? My passport has to be valid for 6 months from the date of travel...and it will only be valid for 3...

Who told you that? For the USA a passport only needs to be valid for the length of your stay.

Who told you that? For the USA a passport only needs to be valid for the length of your stay.

Thought I read it somewhere when I was googling :confused:

Oh well thanks, you have just made my day!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

kingtut wrote: »
    Thought I read it somewhere when I was googling :confused:

For sure you did. It is an extremely common piece of misinformation. Hence, lesson learned: For important things, do not rely on random Google hits. Check the authoritative sources - the US embassy in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Advice needed please.

My daughter is in Madrid, she had her wallet with passport stolen this evening.

The embassy is closed for the weekend, she is due to fly home tomorrow.

Any advice on how to get her on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Without a passport/Emergency Travel Document from the embassy, it won't happen. She may have to extend her stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

I have to get a new passport. Last time I was in the US I had to go to embassy to apply for a visa and do interviews as I previously overstayed my visa by 15days.

When I get a new passport will I still have to go through the hassle of applying for visa?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Advice needed please.

My daughter is in Madrid, she had her wallet with passport stolen this evening.

The embassy is closed for the weekend, she is due to fly home tomorrow.

Any advice on how to get her on the plane.

Every embassy has an emergency number which is a 24/7 number. Go to the embassy website, look for the number and call them. They can tell you what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

The emergency number I have found is +34 914364093. Outside normal hours you will be asked to leave a message on the answering machine. The answering machine is monitored regularly and the duty officer at the embassy will contact you as soon as possible. When you leave a message remember to leave your name, the nature of the problem and the details of how the duty offficer can contact you.

Got this information online. Hope it may help!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

She is allowed to travel without passport.

The hotel had a photocopy of her passport.

We sent scanned copies of Birth cert, Medical Card,Driving Licence.

A letter from local police and the above paperwork saying she had reported the loss was enough to get her on the plane.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yep, good that you managed to sort the issue.

I'm surprised, actually, that there was no one to contact at the weekend. In larger embassies like that there's supposed to be a duty officer on call.

Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Seen advice ages ago to take a photocopy of your passport when travellin :D just a heads up for future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The emergency number I have found is +34 914364093. Outside normal hours you will be asked to leave a message on the answering machine. The answering machine is monitored regularly and the duty officer at the embassy will contact you as soon as possible. When you leave a message remember to leave your name, the nature of the problem and the details of how the duty offficer can contact you.

Got this information online. Hope it may help!
    sarkozy wrote: »
    Yep, good that you managed to sort the issue.

I'm surprised, actually, that there was no one to contact at the weekend. In larger embassies like that there's supposed to be a duty officer on call.

Not great.

Did you not see the quote above? On call doesn't mean sitting there looking at a phone it can be monitoring phone calls as per the earlier post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement