Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Berns wrote: »
    Seen advice ages ago to take a photocopy of your passport when travellin :D just a heads up for future :)

Handy tip is to scan and email yourself a copy of your passport and driving licence. that way you don't have to carry a copy around with you and its available to you anywhere in the world where there is internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Hi, got my application back today from PPO, they said it can not be processed because there is glare over my glasses on photos. Is it ok to have photos taken without glasses, I know it sounds dumb, but dont want it coming back again. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Of course it is. Many people don't wear glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

the_pits wrote: »
    Hi, got my application back today from PPO, they said it can not be processed because there is glare over my glasses on photos. Is it ok to have photos taken without glasses, I know it sounds dumb, but dont want it coming back again. Cheers

Yes, the glare can stop getting a biometric image so thats the reason for the return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frogeyes

Hey sent my passport application off yesterday with passport express, but just thinking now, i sent 4 photos off, but only 2 were signed? Is my application going to be sent back to me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Yes, the glare can stop getting a biometric image so thats the reason for the return.

Is this a new thing, because on my last passport there is a very noticeable glare across my lens. Just had photos redone without glasses and in black and white, so touch wood :D

With regards to other query, so long as 2 photos are signed it does not matter.

You need 2 years of proof that you actually use your name in Irish. So bank statements, driving licence, other documents dated 2 years or more ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Even though my passport is not yet expired(jul11) I still have to get a new one because entry into thailand require you have 6 months left before it expires, however I have also heard that your new passport needs to be 6 monthS old before you can go to thailand also, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

however I have also heard that your new passport needs to be 6 monthS old before you can go to thailand also, is this true?

I've never heard of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Can someone outline step by step what I need to do to renew my passport asap, I have 3 weeks this saturday to have it

I know I need to get 4 passport photos done

Get the application form from the gards and get them to sign 2 photos

And then send the whole lot by passport express in the post office, am I leaving out anything?

• Advertisement

Why don't you read the form fully? That way you will know for sure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Why don't you read the form fully? That way you will know for sure. ;)

Actually they haven't updated the forms yet.

Forms still say only 2 photos required with 1 signed NOT stamped.

You don't need 4 photos. That much is true. Correct on 1 photo signed by Garda and number of application form also to be entered on the photo by the Garda.

You don't need 4 photos. That much is true. Correct on 1 photo signed by Garda and number of application form also to be entered on the photo by the Garda.

I brought 4 photos to Garda over weekend. She signed and stamped 2 of them. Complete disaster with pictures getting smudged from their wet ink.
    The requirements have changed but they haven't put them on the forms yet :mad:

What requirements specificity have changed? I renewed my passport before xmas and only 2 photos were needed.

What documents should be enclosed
    • Complete all sections of the application form correctly and legibly. Don’t forget to enter your signature in the signaturebox on the left hand side of this section.
    • Enclose four recently taken passport photographs . <LI class=MsoNormal>Have the witness section of the application form and two photograph signed and stamped by a Garda Síochána, for applications made in Ireland, or by a member of one of the categories listed on the form for applications made abroad. <LI class=MsoNormal>Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport <LI class=MsoNormal>Information in respect of applications for first time adults and those who are reporting lost and stolen passports please click here First time adult applicants/Lost and stolen
    • Enclose the appropriate fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

frogeyes wrote: »
    Hey sent my passport application off yesterday with passport express, but just thinking now, i sent 4 photos off, but only 2 were signed? Is my application going to be sent back to me??

No it wont, only 2 are to be signed. i had the same question for my daughters and they told me only 2 needed to be signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

What requirements specificity have changed? I renewed my passport before xmas and only 2 photos were needed.

I emailed the passport office on this last week , as I too was very confused.

4 photos are now needed, this is not on the form as of yet, but you will be told in the Post office when sending Form off as they check all at counter.

only 2 need to be signed by Garda.

They must be going to use the other photos for the dossiers they are keeping on us. ;)

Just to let everyone know:(

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Just to let everyone know:(

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

So...Passport Express is cheaper than sending it off yourself?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

It's €95 when calling to the Passport Office and €88.50 through An Post. A bit puzzling, but I suppose they're quite happy to let the post offices get the bulk of the work instead.

It's €95 when calling to the Passport Office and €88.50 through An Post. A bit puzzling, but I suppose they're quite happy to let the post offices get the bulk of the work instead.

Think of how many staff are on those counters, if they aren't there they can be dealing with the actual applcations ans speeding up the whole process............i think thats the reasoning, to stop people coming to the office so they can get more staff dealing with applcations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

veetwin wrote: »
    Handy tip is to scan and email yourself a copy of your passport and driving licence. that way you don't have to carry a copy around with you and its available to you anywhere in the world where there is internet access.

Yup, very good advice there, always do that myself.. along with travel insurance, booking docs etc.. :)

Glad your daughter got home ok OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ferent

Hi, just wondering if anyone could tell me how long I might have to queue in the Dublin Passport office? I'm going to go first thing tomorrow morning but I've an exam at 12!

How long is a piece of string? You could be there for hours. Depends on how many are there etc.

Why don't you use passport express?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ferent

Thanks for your reply! I have already sent application through passport express but looks like I won't get it in time, so I'm bringing in my proof of immediate travel. Just hoping I'm not there for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

The earlier you queue outside (before the office opens) the better. Best of luck with the passport and exam!

• Advertisement

If passport application is rejected for a poor picture do they send back the whole application and do you have to pay full €80 again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement