Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

rainy_18 wrote: »
    Wezg

What type of application do they require proof of address for - I didn't include any with mine, but it didn't seem to ask for it anywhere either?

They require this if you have lost a passport. They view it as a new application. Also if you do find old passport then return it ot office or you will have a bad record and they get may refuse you later....

My story update,

I went ot MOLESWORTH street after being at 80 St stephens Green as this is address on dps site (they only operate at weekends apparently). SO anyway applied for 2 renewals 1 replacement and one new.

I knew already there is a 15 euro charge per application over the counter. However if you need it with in 5 days a 55 euro charge is added to that. So yes alot of money to spend.

You need 4 Pictures when applying over the counter. 2 signed ones.

I found the process was managed well. I had a nice lady serve me and I waited about an hour having 72 people ahead of me in the queue.

We applied Thursday 26th and our passports will be ready on the 7th for collection. This is the only option. So we travel from Rosslare on the 8th and will go from Galway via Dublin to collect. So fingers crossed I dont have to spend another 60 euro on petrol to trek up to Dublin and no issues arise!

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Alright thanks, will they present one to me then and there yes?

NO... quickest processing time for a passport is 3 days, this is usually in cases orf emergency, funeral etc. If you have proof of travel you can get your passport in 5 days for the 15+55 euro charge or if you wait until day before travel which is 5+ days then you are charged only the 15 euro fee but must collect again at office.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shell820810

A lot of people seem to have their renewal rejected because of the photos - if they are rejected after the 11-13 day processing period, do you have to wait that long again to reprocess with new photos?

Sent it off today, on holiday 9 July, but post office thought the photo could be too dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Long story short- and it's not my passport in question- how long does it take to queue for an emergency transport? Can someone else queue for you if you do the application (and possibly collect it)? I know they're not answering their phones but will they be able to check if her old passport is still valid (she has given it to someone she knows to fasttrack her but no info on that score- it is only valid for 3 weeks after we come back) or if the application has already been started for her? Any info appreciated. ESTA needs to be done- travelling in 8 days. Just wary of her ringing in sick for a day only to find out the new passport is already ready for her or that she can get the old one back and it will do and hasn't been cancelled.

• Advertisement

Is an emergency passport the ones that are pretty much the same as the normal one, or are they the green shorter-length ones? Just discovered it's very dodgy to chance going to US on a green one. Travelling in 8 days- this is a friend's, who hopefully will be able to receive a new one by then or get her old one back which is in date.

Is an emergency passport the ones that are pretty much the same as the normal one, or are they the green shorter-length ones? Just discovered it's very dodgy to chance going to US on a green one. Travelling in 8 days- this is a friend's, who hopefully will be able to receive a new one by then or get her old one back which is in date.

Emergency passport is one you pay extra for to get processed quicker. You need proof of travel for this. They take a minimum of 3 days to be issued and if requested within 5 days you have a 55 euro extra fee per passport. The will issue the passport a day before travel date.

There are temporary passports issued for short lengths and out of office hours and for emergency only extra charge 110 per passport.

Both of these options are over the counter at the passport office and must be collect at same location.

I presume your friend lost her passport and applied for a new one. So her old passport is now void. If she does find her old one do return it or it will give her a bad record and she may have difficulties applying again in the future if 2 or more passports lost.

Emergency passport is one you pay extra for to get processed quicker. You need proof of travel for this. They take a minimum of 3 days to be issued and if requested within 5 days you have a 55 euro extra fee per passport. The will issue the passport a day before travel date.

There are temporary passports issued for short lengths and out of office hours and for emergency only extra charge 110 per passport.

Both of these options are over the counter at the passport office and must be collect at same location.

I presume your friend lost her passport and applied for a new one. So her old passport is now void. If she does find her old one do return it or it will give her a bad record and she may have difficulties applying again in the future if 2 or more passports lost.

Thank you. Seems a bit out of the question so as she needs to do ESTA. Nope it's a bit more complicated than that- she has a passport which expires a few weeks after we come back from America, everybody told her she needed a new one as it needs to have 6 months left- which of course, I have recently found out not to be true. So she gave it a week ago to someone she knew working there- no passport yet, or any info. Old passport may not be cancelled yet- we hope. The best hope seems to be getting the old one back intact or getting this hypothetical new one, rather than an emergency one. ESTA would need to be done on or before Thursday really. What makes this even better is that we do not have proof of travel yet- was supposed to be issued by email on Thurs, 2 visits and phonecalls to the travel agent have not done much, so won't have it until tomorrow when I go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The green temporary passport is not acceptable for ESTA. If you only had that you would need to go to the US embassy for a visa which would cost a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 sara_q

My son's passport is due for renewal on 6th Aug. 2011. Does anyone know if it would be ok to travel to Spain in early July when the renewal date is just a month later? I've heard different opinions re this.

• Advertisement

So long as he is home in Ireland by 6th of August there will be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 sara_q

It's good to know, thank you.

The green temporary passport is not acceptable for ESTA. If you only had that you would need to go to the US embassy for a visa which would cost a lot of money.

Yes I found that out on the embassy website, was hoping that a normal emergency passport is the red one, which would be fine. Another friend got an emergency one which is a normal one- was hoping that was standard, not the green temp one. Still have a few options open for her- the old one not having been cancelled, this new one being ready soon, or an emergency one ready on Thursday or before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

Sent my application for my new passport on Friday via Passport Express.

Anyways, I am sure I forgot to write in my old passport number on the application form as I was going to fill it in at a later date. Do you think this would be a problem seeing as I have sent my old passport away with the application?

Just need to find this out as I heard small problems with the application can delay the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

In relation to ESTA does it have to be registered 14 days prior to your departure for definite?

Thanks

In relation to ESTA does it have to be registered 14 days prior to your departure for definite?

Thanks
    72 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

72 hours.

Perfect thanks.

Sorry for the questions but do you have any info about the emergency passport that takes three to five days? Do you need to have proof of travel for this aswell or is that only required for the emergency passport issued on the day?

You need proof of travel if you want a passport outside of the normal processing time frames.

Perfect thanks.

Sorry for the questions but do you have any info about the emergency passport that takes three to five days? Do you need to have proof of travel for this aswell or is that only required for the emergency passport issued on the day?

Quickest turn over of passport is 3 days. Any application under 5 days is considered emergency. You simply pay the extra fee... so if you need it within 5 days its 110 after that its 15 euro. These emergency called passports are standard passports simply done quicker for emergency purposes ie traveling soon and no valid passport or funeral or health reasons. Yes you must have proof of travel. For the 3 day passport you need everything you got as they can refuse your "emergency" otherwise.

Long story short- and it's not my passport in question- how long does it take to queue for an emergency transport? Can someone else queue for you if you do the application (and possibly collect it)? I know they're not answering their phones but will they be able to check if her old passport is still valid (she has given it to someone she knows to fasttrack her but no info on that score- it is only valid for 3 weeks after we come back) or if the application has already been started for her? Any info appreciated. ESTA needs to be done- travelling in 8 days. Just wary of her ringing in sick for a day only to find out the new passport is already ready for her or that she can get the old one back and it will do and hasn't been cancelled.

Yes someone else can queue for you as long as you have all the relevant papers. In this case if you do not retrieve the original passport you may need to apply for a new one meaning you will need long birth cert and proof of address... If you have old passport and just apply for a renewal this will process a bit quicker. Also yes as long as the person has the docket on collection they can collect on your behalf or you on there behalf as the case may be.

All you need is a booking reference from you travel agent get hem to print up the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OH.

Just realised my passport expires the exact date I'm flying home from holiday (July 8th). Would there be any hope/chance that it could still be used on the day or is that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

OH. wrote: »
    Just realised my passport expires the exact date I'm flying home from holiday (July 8th). Would there be any hope/chance that it could still be used on the day or is that wishful thinking?

That's fine, and most economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Was woke up this morning by a woman from the Passport office asking me to send away photo ID for my first time passport but i dont have any of that. I went the gaurds to ask them but they said id need a birth cert and loads of ****e basically but yet they signed off on everything i needed to send away originally! Im seriously cracking up because i just dont have the 20euro for another birth cert and photos for a form for the garda to sign. Any advice? I have an old old safe pass and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

is the birth cert the only thing your missing? Did the lady in the passport office say she would hold your applicatiion pending you sending in your birth cert?
    It's normal to have to provide a birth cert, otherwise you could be making people up and applying for passports...not that the system is foolproof...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DaleB91 wrote: »
    Was woke up this morning by a woman from the Passport office asking me to send away photo ID for my first time passport but i dont have any of that. I went the gaurds to ask them but they said id need a birth cert and loads of ****e basically but yet they signed off on everything i needed to send away originally! Im seriously cracking up because i just dont have the 20euro for another birth cert and photos for a form for the garda to sign. Any advice? I have an old old safe pass and thats it.
    The Garda don't check that you have everything. They just sign what you give them, then it's up to you to ensure that the correct documentation is in the envelope.

The Garda doesn't need to check birth cert, etc, just needs photo ID, but sometimes they don't even bother.

When you say you don't have €20 for another birth cert, did you already send one off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I got mine today woo! and with 3 days to spare too. Cancun here I come :)

OH. wrote: »

Depends where you are flying to.... also how do you expect to fly home?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

seamus wrote: »
    The Garda don't check that you have everything. They just sign what you give them, then it's up to you to ensure that the correct documentation is in the envelope.

The Garda doesn't need to check birth cert, etc, just needs photo ID, but sometimes they don't even bother.

When you say you don't have €20 for another birth cert, did you already send one off?
    Yea exactly i already sent one off, sent off a pay slip, and a utility bill and the 4 photos. Now they want a photo id and the gaurds will only give me one if i have an official birth cert but the passport office have mine and its 20euro for a new birth cert and to get 4 more photos taken for the form the gaurds fill out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah. Right so you need to send in photo ID, but you don't have one so you're looking to apply for a Garda ID.

Have you no other kind of photo ID? Student cards or anything?

• Advertisement

DaleB91 wrote: »

Safe pass will suffice or club card anything with picture ID

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement