Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Went in this morning to get an emergency passport in Dublin as I fly away on the 10th of June to Turkey.

As my application was ten days i only had to pay the normal fee and was given a slip that said i will have to collect my passport on the 9th of June in the dublin office.

I queried the time saying are you sure this is when It will be ready I was assured I was however i put in the barcode to the site and this came up:
    Issue Date: 09/06/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)

Does this mean I wont now get my passport in time to fly out even though I asked for an emergency one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

cronin_j wrote: »
    Went in this morning to get an emergency passport in Dublin as I fly away on the 10th of June to Turkey.

As my application was ten days i only had to pay the normal fee and was given a slip that said i will have to collect my passport on the 9th of June in the dublin office.

I queried the time saying are you sure this is when It will be ready I was assured I was however i put in the barcode to the site and this came up:

Does this mean I wont now get my passport in time to fly out even though I asked for an emergency one?

That's for Passport Express, sending them off by the post office. Seperate to emergency passports as passport express is done in Balbriggan. If I were you I'd call into them (not picking up their phones) on the 6th/7th and see what the status is. Can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that emergency passports are not affected by the delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I have the same thing and what I believe it to mean is the extra 3 days are for passports posted out. Your passport will be ready for collection as of the date you were given. Emergency passports are always collected and the delay is not relevant.

The emergency fee only applies to passports required within 5 days. there are 8 working days until the 10th and so you didnt need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

That's for Passport Express, sending them off by the post office. Seperate to emergency passports as passport express is done in Balbriggan. If I were you I'd call into them (not picking up their phones) on the 6th/7th and see what the status is. Can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that emergency passports are not affected by the delay.
    I have the same thing and what I believe it to mean is the extra 3 days are for passports posted out. Your passport will be ready for collection as of the date you were given. Emergency passports are always collected and the delay is not relevant.

The emergency fee only applies to passports required within 5 days. there are 8 working days until the 10th and so you didnt need to pay.

Thanks I just wanted a bit of reassurance about the whole thing.

Thanks I just wanted a bit of reassurance about the whole thing.

Lol I know its all so daunting.... realising you need a n emergency passport the waiting the unknown... but hey soon we will be on holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 A2B

Hey guys, I've applied for my 1st time passport on the 23rd and the target date is the 7 june and probably 3 extra days,, and 2 days postage.. how accurate is the target date stated in their website! is it accurate or it takes longer sometimes cuz i want to book my tickets earlier,,
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Book nothing until you have your passport in your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

Sent my app via regular post via London Irish Embassy - here's my status which refers to Passport Express..........so does this date still apply to my application???

Received on 12/05/2011 and has been registered.Issue Date:16/06/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)

A2B wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've applied for my 1st time passport on the 23rd and the target date is the 7 june and probably 3 extra days,, and 2 days postage.. how accurate is the target date stated in their website! is it accurate or it takes longer sometimes cuz i want to book my tickets earlier,,
    Thanks!

Right now there are no guarentees on anything...

lol - indeed. However is it 'supposed' to refer to my app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My friend got her passport! From an acquaintance who works in the office who remained out of contact for well over a week- stressful times. So now ESTA will be done and we're good to go- if the travel agents would give us our tickets! We're going on Sunday ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

rainy_18 wrote: »

I do not think anyone has found a reliable answer to that question. It would seem so simple: If the target date is meant to be for all applications, just remove the sentence about Passport Express. And if the target is really meant for Passport Express only, do not show a meaningless date for other applications.

It appears that the Passport Office is applying some different logic though - logic that nobody but the Passport Office understands. Once someone figures this out for certain, I am sure it will be posted here in the thread.

It will be ready in the passport office at that date and if you are having it delivered through passport express in ireland then yes.

It will be ready in the passport office at that date and if you are having it delivered through passport express in ireland then yes.

I applied through regular post via the Irish Embassy London......so I'm not sure if this date means anything to my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

I applied through regular post via the Irish Embassy London......so I'm not sure if this date means anything to my application?

From my experience it means nothing for applications from the London Embassy. When I finally got that message it said Issue Date 13/05... the message appeared on the 23/05, and we still don't have the passport... though now it apparently has been posted, so we'll see... I think thats an automatic message that assumes everyone has applied via Passport Express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Can you travel to the UK without a passport? ,my wife is going on the 12th of June and her passport is out of date on the 14th.Can she travel with a driving licence?

Can you travel to the UK without a passport? ,my wife is going on the 12th of June and her passport is out of date on the 14th.Can she travel with a driving licence?

If your wife is a UK or Irish citizen:

* Travel by Ryanair without passport: NO
    * Travel by most other airlines without passport: YES
    * Travel by ferry without passport: YES

If your wife is not a UK or Irish citizen:

* Travel by Ryanair without passport: NO
    * Travel by most other airlines without passport: NO
    * Travel by ferry without passport: NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

But.. her passport will be in date for travel?

A driving licence or photo id is sufficient. As long as its not ryan aer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

But.. her passport will be in date for travel?

Yeah but she won't be back until the 16th and the flight she needs is ryanair, I wonder if she went into the passport office could she get it quicker?

• Advertisement

Yeah but she won't be back until the 16th and the flight she needs is ryanair, I wonder if she went into the passport office could she get it quicker?

Yes, she can. It is called an Emergency Passport and is available with appropriate proof of travel. I recommend you read back the last two pages of this thread. Another poster reported his experiences with applying for an Emergency Passport there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

Can anyone plz let me know if they ve any experience with this!!
    I booked tickets to S Africa using my first name which is double barrel and my surnname!
    Now on my old passport its my first name shortened, on my birth cert Ive the name I actually use lengthened!!!
    EG:
    My actual name Annamae Clifton
    Name on old passport: Anna Clifton
    Name on birth cert Annamary Clifton!!

On the ticket I put Annamae but now passport office wnt let me use that name..........but BMI airlines WONT let me thru unless name exactly matches!! I dnt have proof of using that name at least two yrs as only changed all documents the last year!!!

Need to know ASAP, such stress!!! Plzz help
    Hope in correct forum xxx

She can get emergency passport if she has proof of travel. If needed within 5 days there is a 55 euro charge or 110 if out of hours. It takes minimum of 3 days for any passport. If more than 5 days then you jsut pay the otc charge of 15 euro. You must collect your tickets at office again then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Give BMI their change of name fee.

Give BMI their change of name fee.

They dnt take a fee! They told me Id need to canx 70£ and rebook but flights gone up 300e!!
    Ugh dont know waht to do. Wonder would they take Anna M Clifton.........
    I shouldve just used what was on my last passport......totally zapped from all this

There is a good chance they will let you on board without any hassle. It is quite obvious that you are the person the ticket is for. The problem is, there can be no guarantees. If you chance it, there still is the chance that BMI's staff happen to be picky that day and refuse you travel.

The problem only arose because the Passport Office allow you to change names at will as long as you can prove that you have been using your new name for a couple of years. I wish they just removed that silly provision altogether - then such problems as yours would never occur.

Thanks undo. Its a real pain......going to try and sort it in morning with pp office but somehow dnt think they ll be very accommodating.
    If outcome not so good, dont know if Id chance it as am a terrible flyer so dnt think need the extra stress of passport on way to airport.
    Its an extra 300e though, all need to figure out now is can I canx with BMI and just pay difference or do I have to get refund and pay again as refund take 18 weeks which is a joke!!!
    Ugh airlines!!!

If you get to the point of desperation, there is one more thing you can try: Call the airline, plead your case to the agent. If they are not accommodating, hang up and try again with the next agent you get. Of course those calls will cost you money, so you should not overdo it. But if it is a case that could be sorted with a little bit of goodwill on the part of the airline, it may be worth trying.

With each call, you would have to say you made a silly typo/used your name as in your previous passport, not the current one or something along those lines. Of course you should not be mentioning that you know it is against BMI policy to change names and that you have talked to several agents before :).

The Passport Office are very unlikely to do anything for you. They have the two year rule and they stick by it.

undo wrote: »
    If you get to the point of desperation, there is one more thing you can try: Call the airline, plead your case to the agent. If they are not accommodating, hang up and try again with the next agent you get. Of course those calls will cost you money, so you should not overdo it. But if it is a case that could be sorted with a little bit of goodwill on the part of the airline, it may be worth trying.

With each call, you would have to say you made a silly typo/used your name as in your previous passport, not the current one or something along those lines. Of course you should not be mentioning that you know it is against BMI policy to change names and that you have talked to several agents before :).

The Passport Office are very unlikely to do anything for you. They have the two year rule and they stick by it.

Then make sure to make a note of who you spoke to .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Oonagh75

Applied for passports for my two daughters. They arrived today. Wrong photo on each others passport. One daughter will be two at the end of this month. The other girl was four in april. Easy to see whos who by comparing birth certs and photos. Will I have to pay again? Any ideas? Not travelling for six weeks so OK on that front I feel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement