Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

oh god.

travelling tomorrow evening and just find daughters passport is out of date. Just went down to gardai to get stuff signed....if i bring it into the passport office will they turn this around for me while i wait?
    The person on the emergency line thought not unless it was for a death or sth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

fungun wrote: »
    oh god.

travelling tomorrow evening and just find daughters passport is out of date. Just went down to gardai to get stuff signed....if i bring it into the passport office will they turn this around for me while i wait?
    The person on the emergency line thought not unless it was for a death or sth....

It takes 3 days, if you apply tomorrow it would be ready on Tuesday due to Monday being a bank holiday.

Emergency is only death or medical reason to travel.

Sorry to give you bad news.

thats what i thought, thanks :(

what are the chances of persuading ryanair to let a child fly with an out of date passport? Slim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

thats what i thought, thanks :(

what are the chances of persuading ryanair to let a child fly with an out of date passport? Slim?
    Not even slim.

is it still a 3 day wait if I go in and have everything in there with me?

Im tossing a coin between spending 200 extra quid and just booking a ferry or going in and trying to get a passport.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

is it still a 3 day wait if I go in and have everything in there with me?

Im tossing a coin between spending 200 extra quid and just booking a ferry or going in and trying to get a passport.....

You going to the Uk then you/she wont need the passport. Unless you are not irish or English? Birth cert will do ya or a garda photo id. And yes minimum 3 day wait no matter what..

Oonagh75 wrote: »
    Applied for passports for my two daughters. They arrived today. Wrong photo on each others passport. One daughter will be two at the end of this month. The other girl was four in april. Easy to see whos who by comparing birth certs and photos. Will I have to pay again? Any ideas? Not travelling for six weeks so OK on that front I feel.

This is their error and so I presume they will fix it asap no extra charge.

You going to the Uk then you/she wont need the passport. Unless you are not irish or English? Birth cert will do ya or a garda photo id. And yes minimum 3 day wait no matter what..

yes we are all irish....but ryanair insist on passports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It's the only airline that does (for CTA flights).

Is it worth you and the child going EI while the rest of your party continues on FR? If the timings are suitable and the prices are ok, it might be better / cheaper than taking the ferry.

oh yes sorry didnt realise you were with ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

Trying to get my passport in time for my honeymoon - have just called to check what I can do in terms of cancelling / amending the tickets and I can't do either. Really panicking now!

I'm going to try calling them this morning - fingers crossed I can get through.

App was registered on 12th May via reg post but then the time changed from 6 weeks to 8 weeks turnaround.

I applied via Irish Embassy in London - does anyone know if I fly to Dublin with my travel docs whether I can get an emergency one? My application will already be in their system?

Just a little update which may help someone.

Called the passport office this morning - they said they had prioritised my application as they had received evidence the it was a honeymoon trip.

My status currently reads: Received on 12/05/2011 and has been registered.Issue Date:16/06/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 3 working days, which you should add to this date)

They said the issue date of 16th (even though I didn't apply via Express) does apply to my application and I should look out for the status changing to 'being checked' on the 14th / 15th.

Forgot to ask about the option of going to Dublin for an emergency but I'll check this another day just in case I need to do it.

A little calmer but it will still be a long wait!

Passport office rang this morning for our passports due for collection Tuesday.. Boyfriend had lost his passport so was aaplying for new one his first replacement as far as we knew..... They say it is is second!?? So now he has to do another trek up to from Galway. Last trip cost 50 euro in petrol.... and we have to collect them yet.. He has to go up sign form again and state that it is his second renewal and they are NOT happy about giving him one. In fact I am not entirely sure whether he will get one or not knowing our luck!

Yesterday my son lost 50 euro rent money or hid it or flushed it He is 18 months. I was jsut getting over that. This is all money we dont have and this holiday is becoming very stressful! Rant!

went in this morning as we are travelling again in about 3 weeks.

Wasnt too bad actually. Arrived at 9:10 and waiting area was open...was 50th in queue!!! :eek:
    They started at 9:30, I got seen to by about 10:30, was out by 10:45. Can collect on 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

WTF is it with the slackers in the passport office??, 5 weeks now waiting for the wifes Irish passport to be renewed... yet my British Passport at the British Embassy in Dublin took just 1 week.. :mad:

Boyfriend went up to the office today after a early morning call telling him as this is his second passport lost over the past 6 years they needed him to come up and have a talk with them. He had forgotten he had previously lost a passport! Finally they granted him a 2 year visa. If he loses this one he will have to go to the embassy next time to apply. So far his passport has cost 2 trips from Galway to Dublin -(so far 80 euro petrol plus parking) plus emergency passport - (95euro) and we have to collect it yet Galway - Rosslare via Dublin :( thankfully it will still be ready for collection on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Boyfriend went up to the office today after a early morning call telling him as this is his second passport lost over the past 6 years they needed him to come up and have a talk with them. He had forgotten he had previously lost a passport! Finally they granted him a 2 year visa. If he loses this one he will have to go to the embassy next time to apply.

That makes no sense. Your boyfriend applied for a passport and got a visa instead? And what embassy would he go to? The Irish embassy in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harrydancer

CamperMan wrote: »
    WTF is it with the slackers in the passport office??, 5 weeks now waiting for the wifes Irish passport to be renewed... yet my British Passport at the British Embassy in Dublin took just 1 week.. :mad:

I had the same experience, applied for Irish passport in first week of May and its still stuck at "registered" status, then I got scared and applied for a British one and it was processed straight away in just a week!, here's hoping that airlines don't mind you changing nationality if the Irish one doesn't come in time!

undo wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Your boyfriend applied for a passport and got a visa instead? And what embassy would he go to? The Irish embassy in Ireland?

Sh*t didnt mean to write visa... but yeah thats wat he was told :S

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

Hi All usual story as above would like to get advise.

Just discovered my passport is expired and im traveling to the USA on Sunday June 12th. Looks like i'll need to make a morning trip into the passport office in Dublin. But seen as there is a bank holiday Monday coming up it will only be Tuesday morning when i get in there.

1> What do I need to bring in with me to get urgent passport, i'll bring old passport, travel dates and forms. What else will I need

2> Do the forms need to be signed by the Gardai

3> What fees will this cost

4> How soon could i get this passport. Tell me by Friday at the very least. Could it be got earlier as im worried about the ESTA

5> I still have to do the ESTA if I get it by Friday, will I have enough time to get it done too

6> Once i go in on Tuesday and hand in the form do I need to wait around for anything else or just show up in a day or two to collect??

Cheers for the help guys

• Advertisement

I had the same experience, applied for Irish passport in first week of May and its still stuck at "registered" status, then I got scared and applied for a British one and it was processed straight away in just a week!, here's hoping that airlines don't mind you changing nationality if the Irish one doesn't come in time!

Hi Harrydancer,

I was considering getting a British passport too but don't think I can claim British citizenship - are you a British citizen? How did you manage to get the British passport?

You have to be a British citizen. If you are it is very easy.

rainy_18 wrote: »
    I was considering getting a British passport too but don't think I can claim British citizenship

Were you or either of your parents born in the UK? Or, was either of your grandparents born in the UK?

Grandparents route was closed off, it only works if one of your parents took a British Passport.

Thanks for your replies. No I don't think I can claim British citizenship easily.

I am in my thirties have lived in the UK for over 10 years and have recently married a British citizen but I think I would have to first apply for citizenship which I guess would take me longer than it would for my Irish passport to turn up.

I am in my thirties have lived in the UK for over 10 years and have recently married a British citizen but I think I would have to first apply for citizenship which I guess would take me longer than it would for my Irish passport to turn up.

Correct on both counts I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harrydancer

Hi Harrydancer,

I was considering getting a British passport too but don't think I can claim British citizenship - are you a British citizen? How did you manage to get the British passport?

Hi Rainy I was born in England, I just went with the Irish one before as both my parents are Irish, I guess im lucky that I had to choice to apply for either especially in light of recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Passport Office are kicking up a bit of a storm in relation to getting a renewed passport asap.

Can I obtain a passport within three days if I am not travelling due to a death or medical condition but have flight details booked?
    letitroll wrote: »
    1> What do I need to bring in with me to get urgent passport, i'll bring old passport, travel dates and forms. What else will I need

2> Do the forms need to be signed by the Gardai

3> What fees will this cost

4> How soon could i get this passport. Tell me by Friday at the very least. Could it be got earlier as im worried about the ESTA

5> I still have to do the ESTA if I get it by Friday, will I have enough time to get it done too

6> Once i go in on Tuesday and hand in the form do I need to wait around for anything else or just show up in a day or two to collect??

Cheers for the help guys

I would appreciate if somebody could answer these questions aswell. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Im sorry ! Is this a joke or is this country for real. €80 for a passport plus the cost of the photographs, trip to town/passport express and all the rest.
    What a frikking joke this country is!
    Wife and daughters runn out this month and mine ran out last week,
    €240 before the rest - probably cost in excess of €300 to renew this lot,
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement