Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

dball wrote: »
    Im sorry ! Is this a joke or is this country for real. €80 for a passport plus the cost of the photographs, trip to town/passport express and all the rest.
    What a frikking joke this country is!
    Wife and daughters runn out this month and mine ran out last week,
    €240 before the rest - probably cost in excess of €300 to renew this lot,
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

I know we had same issue and we are from Galway and had to make 2 round trips to Dublin because they werent happy with the "reason" he gave for his passport being lost. And we have yet to pick up the tickets which will be available tomorrow the day before we travel to Rosslare. So we are going via dublin on Wednesday which is nerve racking. So 265 for emergency passport for the whole family plus another 50 euro on each trip ect ect. Its a bit excessive.

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Passport Office are kicking up a bit of a storm in relation to getting a renewed passport asap.

Can I obtain a passport within three days if I am not travelling due to a death or medical condition but have flight details booked?

I would appreciate if somebody could answer these questions aswell. Thanks.

NO.. Minimum turnover is 3 days in event of death or funeral or medical attention.

You will get it within 5 days at an extra cost of 55 euro plus the basic over the counter charge of 95 euro (150) you must have proof of travel.

Passport needed within 10 days you must have proof of travel 95 euro with proof of travel.

Standard Over the counter charge 95 euro.

If you have your old passport then you will not need additional ID

Yes the form must be fully completed and signed by Gardai and you need 4 photos with 2 signed.

If you go in on Tuesday and have proof of travel you will get your passport issued the day before your travel date and it must be collected in the office again.

If you tell them about the ESTA they might try push it for you. I think you can buy an instant visa from the airport though??? Dont quote me o that. My mate forgot to get her new visa en route to Australia but Quantas gave her one in Singapore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The onus is on each individual to ensure your passport is up to date when you plan your travel and also to ensure that your application for a passport is properly completed. There is no point coming on here for a moan about things that are within your control.

If you want to have a rant, go elsewhere. Otherwise please just stick to the questions you want to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

NO.. Minimum turnover is 3 days in event of death or funeral or medical attention.

So you reckon they will tell me Tuesday (tomorrow) that I dont qualify to get the passport by Friday and therefore should change my flight from Sunday to like next Wednesday??

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I've repeatedly heard what I believe to be a rumour that I want to clear up.
    Is there a period prior to the expiry date of the passport during which you cannot travel with it? (eg. three / six months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

I applied for a new passport on the 25th May - after reading the stories on here I thought I'd check its status. And guess what, it says posted! That's not at all bad, 10 days including the long weekend. Will wait with baited breath......

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

seanor3 wrote: »
    Is there a period prior to the expiry date of the passport during which you cannot travel with it? (eg. three / six months)

As you expected, this is mostly a false rumor. It would be kind of pointless to issue passports that cannot be used for their main purpose (travel) during the last half year of validity. A passport is valid for travel until the very day it expires.

That said, certain countries do require that your passport be valid for a certain time beyond the intended end of your stay. This has nothing to do with your passport being invalid in general. It is an additional requirement of the host country.

You will often hear that the US has such a requirement. If you are traveling under the ESTA program, this information is false. Your passport does not have to be valid beyond the end of your stay. For travel within the EU, any such claims are equally false. Your passport is good for travel within the EU until the day of its expiry.

Only if you are traveling further afield will you have to check whether there is an additional validity requirement. Be aware though that much of the information you will find on the Internet is wrong or outdated. Always check with the host country's embassy instead of trusting some random website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harrydancer

embereve wrote: »
    I applied for a new passport on the 25th May - after reading the stories on here I thought I'd check its status. And guess what, it says posted! That's not at all bad, 10 days including the long weekend. Will wait with baited breath......

show off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

undo wrote: »
    I'd figured as much, thanks for clearing that up! I can go back to the rest of the group I'm traveling with with this info now.

letitroll wrote: »
    So you reckon they will tell me Tuesday (tomorrow) that I dont qualify to get the passport by Friday and therefore should change my flight from Sunday to like next Wednesday??

Well thats the rule of thumb, However my friend applied for hers to go to Australia and recieved hers within 3 days and they didnt even charge her teh emergency fee.... So its hard to call. Sorry but thats who things are in there...

• Advertisement

Tracking tells me my passports are ready for collection HORRAY! Viva La France!

But here is a horror story: some poor lad was there with his daughter when we had to go up last and was collecting their passports but they couldnt find them anywhere. He was needless to say very unhappy to say the least. Dont know the outcome as they took him to a private office after about half an hour of 6 members searching through files.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

Well thats the rule of thumb, However my friend applied for hers to go to Australia and recieved hers within 3 days and they didnt even charge her teh emergency fee.... So its hard to call. Sorry but thats who things are in there...

If its any good to anybody went in today (Tuesday June 7th) with flight booked for Sunday June 12th and my passport will be ready for Thursday June 9th. No begging no if buts and maybe's. Paid the 150euro and bobs your uncle.

Some other people werent so lucky there seemed to be absolutley no way that a passport could be turned around in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

Just for anyone that might have applied from teh London embassy, heres my stats:

Applied at Embassy : April 4th
    Registered on Tracker: April 6th
    Status Changed to Checked: May 25th
    Status Changed to Printed: May 26th
    Status Changed to Posted: May 27th
    Received in Post: June 7th! (they sent it to the wrong address).

So in total we waited 9 weeks. Would have been 8 had they not sent it to the wrong address! So beware... its a long and frustrating process!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I need to get a new passport soon (including new picture etc) and my old passport (non adult 5 year passport) is lost but has been expired since 2010, wondering if I need to let them know about that or if I can just get a new passport without mentioning it. I'll be getting an adult passport this time.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hi all, question about Passport Express service:

went in today to post it for my 2 1/2 year old kid (just after going to GArda station to get photos and form witnesses)

Person in Post Office says I have to post my own passport or birth cert in with the application for kids using Passport Express. Is this right as I can't find this info on anpost.ie or on the forms anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is correct. You must send either your birth cert or passport for children born after 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I need to get a new passport as it expires in October however I cannot give my current passport in with my application as I need it for work (I travel a lot).

Does anyone know if it causes problems not giving your passport in? Surely there are people in my situation....I have searched the internet and found nothing of use :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Have been ringing them for over a week now - but no answer!! Tried the Low -Call number and the 021 / 01 numbers as listed on the web-site.

Application is in Cork office at least a month now - but I forgot to keep the Application Number when sending it off. I have spent hours on the line re-dialling etc. If I could only get hold of teh Appl No - at least I can keep a watch on teh timetable.

I have emailed 5 x times and still no reply.

What the hell are they doing down there???? Am away on the 20th June and still no passport after 5 weeks. They must have it as my €80 cheque has been cashed.

Any other contact details by phone for either Dublin or Cork over and above the web details????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It is correct. You must send either your birth cert or passport for children born after 2004.
    Thanks for that. Wish they would have that info on the form and/or the passport express website. I had to stop her posting my passport (which I require for travel) Will drop it in tomorrow with birth certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

You will get it within 5 days at an extra cost of 55 euro plus the basic over the counter charge of 95 euro (150) you must have proof of travel.

Passport needed within 10 days you must have proof of travel 95 euro with proof of travel.

Standard Over the counter charge 95 euro.

If you have your old passport then you will not need additional ID

Yes the form must be fully completed and signed by Gardai and you need 4 photos with 2 signed.

If you go in on Tuesday and have proof of travel you will get your passport issued the day before your travel date and it must be collected in the office again.

If you tell them about the ESTA they might try push it for you. I think you can buy an instant visa from the airport though??? Dont quote me o that. My mate forgot to get her new visa en route to Australia but Quantas gave her one in Singapore.

Merci beaucoup

clapping.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

embereve wrote: »

it came today! :D:D:D

I need to get a new passport soon (including new picture etc) and my old passport (non adult 5 year passport) is lost but has been expired since 2010, wondering if I need to let them know about that or if I can just get a new passport without mentioning it. I'll be getting an adult passport this time.

Thanks in advance.
    If you dont tell them then this will delay the process and they will find out later and give you the telling off. SO you need to get the gardai to sign the lost section of app.

Tenger wrote: »
    Hi all, question about Passport Express service:

went in today to post it for my 2 1/2 year old kid (just after going to GArda station to get photos and form witnesses)

Person in Post Office says I have to post my own passport or birth cert in with the application for kids using Passport Express. Is this right as I can't find this info on anpost.ie or on the forms anywhere?

There is an additional form of instructions with the application which clearly states this. :) And if you go to the www.DFA.ie site you will also find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

Just for anyone that might have applied from teh London embassy, heres my stats:

Applied at Embassy : April 4th
    Registered on Tracker: April 6th
    Status Changed to Checked: May 25th
    Status Changed to Printed: May 26th
    Status Changed to Posted: May 27th
    Received in Post: June 7th! (they sent it to the wrong address).

So in total we waited 9 weeks. Would have been 8 had they not sent it to the wrong address! So beware... its a long and frustrating process!

Thank you - that is useful for me. Of course slightly worrying about the mix up with the address. Did you include an SAE with your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Went to Cork today, spent no more than 3 mins at the counter and 1 min at the cashier and my renewal of my passport was sorted. Collecting next Thursday so within 6 working days, and €95 which was nice as I was expecting €150. Maybe it was due to it being over 5 days? Anyway it is much more effecient service down there than I had expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

rainy_18 wrote: »
    Thank you - that is useful for me. Of course slightly worrying about the mix up with the address. Did you include an SAE with your application?

No, we applied at the desk in London and nobody said anything to us about needing to do it. They only got one digit wrong, but by the time we realised it had already been put back in the post return to sender... just be sure your writing is very clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

No, we applied at the desk in London and nobody said anything to us about needing to do it. They only got one digit wrong, but by the time we realised it had already been put back in the post return to sender... just be sure your writing is very clear!

It can be a little complicated applying through the embassy. I read about the SAE in the accompanying notes which was delivered with my app. I've give them a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope so hopefully will be ok.

It's good to see the process is pretty quick from when it's being checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Tenger wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Wish they would have that info on the form and/or the passport express website. I had to stop her posting my passport (which I require for travel) Will drop it in tomorrow with birth certs.

When you get the application form there are 4 pages of notes .... practically a full page of which is given over to information on children born in Ireland on/after 1/1/2005 where you could have read the information before the person in the Post Office had to tell you.

I guess its a case of Shoulda gone to Specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Just thought I'd give an idea of the wait, I know everyones is different but:

Passport Express, registered as received on 20th May

Approved on 9th of June :)

All in all, 13 days plus the bank holiday, and that was applying for a new one because I lost my first one!

Not too bad I think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harrydancer

Just thought I'd give an idea of the wait, I know everyones is different but:

Passport Express, registered as received on 20th May

Approved on 9th of June :)

All in all, 13 days plus the bank holiday, and that was applying for a new one because I lost my first one!

Not too bad I think?

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have an update on wait time for a non express application? One kind fella previously mentioned that it took him 8 weeks with an early April application

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement