Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

SWADHIN wrote: »
    hy,
    I am right now in delhi and my permanent address is in Bhubaneswar,Orissa . so can i apply for passport from here itself . Am i required to go to Bhuubaneswar for any verification . Can i get the passport directly here . if there is any requirement of verfication will it be possible if i do that in here in delhi :)

Assuming you are an Irish citizen, then you can apply at the embassy in New Delhi.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

My brother booked flights for me and him to visit my sister in london on july 4th and have just looked at my passport and it out of date! What do i do? Need help, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Unless you're travelling on Ryanair, then you can use any form of ID such as a drivers licence or similar. If you are flying Ryanair then you'll need a passport and should drop into the passport office with evidence of travel along with the properly completed form and all the other bits and pieces you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Im flying ryanair :mad: Thanks i will drop into the passport office tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 harrydancer

rainy_18 wrote: »
    Thank you, I appreciate that. Would be great if you could let me know when you have it in your hands.....just wondering how long it takes from being printed to make its way back to you via the embassy.

Thanks again

Hi Rainy, just to update I received my Irish passport this morning (one day before flying!). Mr postman tried to deliver yesterday so that makes it either 3 working days if you ignore the weekend, does Saturday count as a working day in this case since post is still delivered?? I dunno, if not it makes it 4 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Hi, i sent off my passport express application 2 weeks ago, on the tracking system it is telling me it will be ready on the 23rd June but then add 4 days which is the middle of next week however i fly to London the following monday with Ryanair, im getting worried at this stage that i wont have it in time, at the latest i need it by next friday - so my next question is it it possible to go down to Cork next week and actually collect it myself ?
    That is if i can manage to speak to someone about it, im getting that lovely message about the large number of calls ahead of me mad.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just an update on the current speed of Passport Express:

Application No. xxxxxxxx.
    Issue Date: 22/06/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 4 working days, which you should add to this date)

So today is the target day but back log is 4 days at the moment. So should be on the way to me by next Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 rainy_18

Hi Rainy, just to update I received my Irish passport this morning (one day before flying!). Mr postman tried to deliver yesterday so that makes it either 3 working days if you ignore the weekend, does Saturday count as a working day in this case since post is still delivered?? I dunno, if not it makes it 4 working days.

Thanks a million for the update. No news on mine yet, but if you got yours so quickly after being printed then I'm hopeful yet!

I asked them about going to Dublin myself and sorting it and they said that wasn't an option.

Enjoy your hols!

I eventually got through to the passport office in Cork, they told me to fax down my flight itenary with my name and application details, she also took my mobile number so i am hoping this will speed things up. A work colleague also applied by passport express about a week before me, her target date was the 17th June, she spoke to them this morning and her passport is being "worked on " today so it will probably be another 3-4 days by the time she receives it, so i think you can add at least 6-7 days extra on to the wait time now.

Woo hoo, someone just rang me from the passport office and they told me it will be in the post by friday evening, so hopefully should have it early next week. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Just wanted to clear up a few things after some misinformation on here after going down to the passport office yesterday.

1) If you are down and in the queue at half 9 you don't really have that long of a wait, I was there at 09:20 and was 20th in the queue, meaning I was out of there by 10:30

2) When you are down at the passport office then the fee is €95 as opposed to the usual €85.

3) The fee for an urgent passport is €55 as opposed to €50

4) Its fine for someone else to collect the passport for you when its ready as long as you were the person to actually apply for it.

All you need to do is write on the slip or a piece of paper saying "I John Doe of Big House, Main St, Narnia, Co Donegal authorize Mr A or Mrs B to collect my passport on my behalf". They will however need photographic ID of their own ;)

5) They are actually quite helpful when it comes to urgent processing of passports, I am travelling on Monday and processed it this Tuesday and they promised to have it ready by Thursday. So the 3-5 day is the usual marker but they can possibly do it quicker if your case is indeed urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

curry-muff wrote: »
    . . .
    2) When you are down at the passport office then the fee is €95 as opposed to the usual €85.
    . . .

For a standard size adult Passport,
    the fee for an application made at the Passport Office or sent by ordinary post is €95.00,
    but the fee for an application made by Passport Express is €80.00 (plus €8.50 An Post fee) = € 88.50.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

emanresu wrote: »
    For a standard size adult Passport,
    the fee for an application made at the Passport Office or sent by ordinary post is €95.00,
    but the fee for an application made by Passport Express is €80.00 (plus €8.50 An Post fee) = € 88.50.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

I didn't know the exact price, was just saying its dearer if you go to the passport office for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Nuvari

I ahd asked on another thread:

Is a passport essential for Travel to England from Ireland or will any other offical photo ID do?

Free travel within the EU zone and all that.

FInally tracked down the answer, online and all - the sites own direct link is broken but it was 30 or so minutes of googling and walla:

I’m a British/Irish Citizen. Do I need a passport to travel?

British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice. A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

Remember that the name on your passport must match the name on your booking, otherwise you may not be able to travel and your insurance may be invalid. Other passport holders should check with the relevant embassy regarding passport and visa requirements.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/faqs/passports-and-visas/im-a-british-irish-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport-to-travel/

Sorted!

Nuvari wrote: »
    I ahd asked on another thread:

Is a passport essential for Travel to England from Ireland or will any other offical photo ID do?

Free travel within the EU zone and all that.

FInally tracked down the answer, online and all - the sites own direct link is broken but it was 30 or so minutes of googling and walla:

I’m a British/Irish Citizen. Do I need a passport to travel?

British or Irish citizens travelling on our Irish Sea routes do not need a passport to travel to Britain or Ireland but are advised to take a form of identity. A driving licence, citizenship card or utility bill will usually suffice. A birth certificate will provide adequate proof of identity for your child to travel on our sailings.

Remember that the name on your passport must match the name on your booking, otherwise you may not be able to travel and your insurance may be invalid. Other passport holders should check with the relevant embassy regarding passport and visa requirements.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/faqs/passports-and-visas/im-a-british-irish-citizen-do-i-need-a-passport-to-travel/

Sorted!

By boat Ive never even been asked for identification before.

By air, driving licence etc usually suffices, but not Ryanair, they insist you have a passport as far as I know.

Woohoo!! My app has finally moved along and is now showing as Approved this evening!

Here's my journey

6th May - posted to London Embassy
    9th May - received by London Embassy
    12th May - registered in Dublin
    22nd June - Approved

Honeymoon on Sunday 3rd July ...... so 7 working days for me to receive it in time.

I've noticed the site doesn't just update at the time stamps - 7:45, 13:45 and 18:45.

I checked my status after 7pm yesterday and it said registered - checked it again later and it had changed to Approved......did wonder if I just hadn't read it right the first time.

This morning at 8am still said approved - checked again a bit later and it has changed to printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I arrived at passport office at 8:40, there was a queue of about 40 people

Doors opened at 9:00 I was 16th in queue for passport applications (a lot of people were collecting passports)

The desks opened at 9:30 (at this stage the queue was more than 50)

I was out with everything sorted at 10:00.

I thought the whole thing was very efficiently managed.

Just to reiterate bring 4 passport photos, you might not need them (I was given two back) but its better be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

So , im planning on attending the sonisphere festival in england in exactly two weeks from today , but my passport is out of date , I had new photos taken today and will be in Dublin on Monday morning , is there anywhere I can go/anything I can do to get my passport back in time so I can go ?
    Sorry If a similair question has been answered but I dont have the time to read every post , thak you to anyone who can give me info.

So , im planning on attending the sonisphere festival in england in exactly two weeks from today , but my passport is out of date , I had new photos taken today and will be in Dublin on Monday morning , is there anywhere I can go/anything I can do to get my passport back in time so I can go ?
    Sorry If a similair question has been answered but I dont have the time to read every post , thak you to anyone who can give me info.

You don't need a passport to go to England, unless you're flying with Ryanair.

• Advertisement

You don't need a passport to go to England, unless you're flying with Ryanair.

But I do , Im under 18 and have no proof of identity

How are you getting to England?

How are you getting to England?

Was planning on flying over , do I need a passport if I go via ferry ?
    It really is an emergency , ill be gutted if I cant go as ive been saving for this for a while now.

Was planning on flying over , do I need a passport if I go via ferry ?
    It really is an emergency , ill be gutted if I cant go as ive been saving for this for a while now.

You only need a passport if you fly with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Help ! I'm confused, I thought my childs passport was valid for 5 years but just by chance I checked and spotted it was issued on 31st August 2008 and is out of date on 31st August 2011 ! I was convinced it was a 5 year passport but obviously only a 3 year one. I note on citizens information website the following -

• 5-year passport (children aged 3-17 years): €41.50
    • 3-year passport (children aged under 3): €31
    Has this changed since 2008? I'm wondering why I didn't get a 5 year passport instead of a 3 year one? Have the rules changed?

Thanks in advance

Yes , but dont I need something to confirm my identity ?

Yes , but dont I need something to confirm my identity ?
    You'll be best carrying something, certainly if you're going by air. How are you going to England?

Im under 18 , but a birth cert , thats genius , but are you sure they will accept it ? Dont you need photo ID ? Was planning on flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

If you are a citizen of Ireland or UK flying with Aer Lingus you will need one of the following photo Identifications:

Drivers licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID Card/Government issued photo ID cards
    Health insurance cards with ID
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

• Advertisement

Im under 18 , but a birth cert , thats genius , but are you sure they will accept it ? Dont you need photo ID ? Was planning on flying.
    Flying other than with Ryanair you need photo ID as per post above. Going by bus or train, a birth cert will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement