Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Just realised I cannot find my passport. Travelling to Bulgaria on the 9th of July. If I was to go up to the passport office an drop in my passport application would it be ready in time? Getting quite worried about this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Just realised I cannot find my passport. Travelling to Bulgaria on the 9th of July. If I was to go up to the passport office an drop in my passport application would it be ready in time? Getting quite worried about this now.

Sorry to tell you - almost certainly not. Looks like it's taking about three weeks at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

Hi guys

Mine was regisitered on June 10th through passport express. Should of been here today but no sign. Flying at 1pm monday. The mad thing is my old passport is in date till the 10th of July and I'm flying home the 6th if july.

Anyone know if I go in early tommorow could they do anything for me? Or even give me my old passport back? Is it ok to travel with.a.passport that's out of date in a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Quick question.

Flying to America for 2 weeks at end of August and have passport dated till 2014 but its the older type without the hologram. Do they accept this type in America anymore or do i need to appy for a new one.

Been told two different stories so dont know what to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is still valid and will be accepted with no problems.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Quick question.

Flying to America for 2 weeks at end of August and have passport dated till 2014 but its the older type without the hologram. Do they accept this type in America anymore or do i need to appy for a new one.

Been told two different stories so dont know what to believe

yes - they do accept the old type.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Well since I called them yesterday things have progressed somewhat. I have 3 passport applications in with them for my kids. As of today Thursday the 30th one of them has been printed and the other two are being checked.

Now we just go to hope they get through without problems and that we can get them sent to us before Wednesday

tbh wrote: »
    Sorry to tell you - almost certainly not. Looks like it's taking about three weeks at the moment.

Ok, do I have any options now or am I completely screwed?

Ok, do I have any options now or am I completely screwed?

I'm afraid I don't know - I don't have any knowledge of the system other than my own experiences - my advice would be to get on the phone to them as soon as you can and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Im not going on hols for another 8 months - judging by the posts on here I think I should start applying now for my new passport - doesnt expire until 2012. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If I were you I'd spend this weekend tearing your house apart to find the passport and then next tuesday head up to Dublin/Cork with your "stolen/lost" form stamped by a Garda and apply for an emergency passport, you'll also need proof of your trip to Bulgaria - flight tickets etc. It will cost you extra but would seem to be the only option.

Details on lost/stolen passports here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

If I were you I'd spend this weekend tearing your house apart to find the passport and then next tuesday head up to Dublin/Cork with your "stolen/lost" form stamped by a Garda and apply for an emergency passport, you'll also need proof of your trip to Bulgaria - flight tickets etc. It will cost you extra but would seem to be the only option.

Details on lost/stolen passports here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/replacing_a_lost_or_stolen_irish_passport.html

Was just about to ask what the story with an emergency passport was. If I was to go up tomorrow would it help as there are already delays?

Was just about to ask what the story with an emergency passport was. If I was to go up tomorrow would it help as there are already delays?

It's my understanding - fully prepared to be corrected on this - that an emergency passport is only issued to allow the user travel home, not abroad. It would only be issued if the passport was lost while you were already away.

edit: just found this:
    In cases of genuine emergency, the duty officer at the Department of Foreign Affairs can issue an emergency passport of limited validity. Examples of such emergencies are:

Situations of substantial distress such as the deaths or funerals of relatives abroad
    Urgent business abroad, particularly where Ireland is the beneficiary
    Urgent medical attention abroad
    Marriages abroad or where a partner in a couple going on honeymoon finds a passport to have been lost or mislaid

• Registered Users Posts: 13 leah24

sorry to just hop on here but i applied 14th of june for my son. were flying out sunday night!i was in the passport office yesterday and the man told me i could collect it on Friday afternoon.i just sed 'so itl definitely be here friday coz im so worried' (in a very nice n friendly way) and he replied...nothing is definite in this world love!!!!!!!!!!!!he was so rude to me!! now he has me all worried that it mightnt be there! god HELP!!! has anyone been told they could collect it for it not to be there when they got there:confused:

I was told it'd be ready at 2, but when I went at 2 (number 8 in the queue) I was told that it wasn't in the van (?) and would be in at 4. I went back at 4 (number 75 in the queue!!!!!) and it was there, and I was called straight up. I'd say if they said it'll be there, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

tbh wrote: »
    It's my understanding - fully prepared to be corrected on this - that an emergency passport is only issued to allow the user travel home, not abroad. It would only be issued if the passport was lost while you were already away.

edit: just found this:

wrong wrong wrong! you shouldn't post about something like this unless you are certain, you'll put the heart across people.

from www.passport.ie

Public Counter Urgent Fee €55
    Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued within five days following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above.
    Please note that this is not an 'on demand' service and applications will take a minimum of three days to process.

wrong wrong wrong! you shouldn't post about something like this unless you are certain, you'll put the heart across people.

from www.passport.ie

Public Counter Urgent Fee €55
    Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued within five days following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above.
    Please note that this is not an 'on demand' service and applications will take a minimum of three days to process.

well I think I fairly clearly flagged that I wasn't sure, but actually what you are describing isn't an emergency passport, it's a regular passport issued more quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

It is basically a fee to jump the queue and have your passport issued quicker.
    Just like in Eastern Europe the more you pay officials the quicker things get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It is basically a fee to jump the queue and have your passport issued quicker.
    Just like in Eastern Europe the more you pay officials the quicker things get done.

So you're saying it's like a bribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 leah24

thanks tbh i hope so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

leah24 wrote: »
    thanks tbh i hope so!!

Me too I'm flying Monday and went in today as I should have got it Monday gone! The lady I saw said it would be definitley there 2moro at 3 30..I asked her 3 times...she was very helpful. So here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

Made the mistake of sending off my passport renewal via the ordinary post option. (pure mistake thought it was cheaper option for some reason) :o. anyway does anyone have a clue what the waiting time is currently for this option. sent mine in earlt may. My application says this

Received on 06/05/2011 and has been registered.

Issue Date:10/06/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 4 working days, which you should add to this date) Website Last Updated: 30/06/2011 at 13:45

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

In our house lately, we spent a couple of hours searching everywhere for a mislaid passport. Eventually, someone opened the scanner machine and there it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lost passport possibly to the recycling bin!!! Given up looking now so getting a new one. Just want to double check all I need before sending. So is it 2 photos signed by guards , original birth cert and statement that it's lost signed by guards. Have I missed anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

km79 wrote: »
    Lost passport possibly to the recycling bin!!! Given up looking now so getting a new one. Just want to double check all I need before sending. So is it 2 photos signed by guards , original birth cert and statement that it's lost signed by guards. Have I missed anything ?

Reapplied for a seond one earlier his year, filled in the lost section on the form, they took my money etc etc and two months later I got a letter saying there was an ammendment to the Passport Act in January this year and they now require three additonal pieces of information (which I sent last week) for applications from Lost/Stolen passports.

The info they wanted was:

1) Additional photo ID

2) Additional proof of Name (payslip for example)

3) Additional proof of Address (Utility Bill or correspondence)

I would ring them and tell them you'd like to send all this stuff with the first application rather than be told sometime later you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You need FOUR photographs now, two signed by the gardai and two without signatures...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thanks for that. I need it in a month so want to get it right first time. Did photocopies of drivers licence etc suffice ? I can't really send the original :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

km79 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I need it in a month so want to get it right first time. Did photocopies of drivers licence etc suffice ? I can't really send the original :)

It said photocopies not accepted unless specifically stated.

So I had to send a real piece of photo ID (which I hope is returned to me safely).

I'd also not I just posted my original application in (rather than the An Post Express way) although I dobut that matters in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rcjh82

My partner got through to the passport office and was told that they were prioritising the passports for those who were flying in the coming week and his will be dealt with next week. However, it is saying on the website now after typing in his passport no. that it would be targeted to be ready for the 4th july, add 5 wrking days and that would be the 11th july, we fly on the 9th!!
    He was told that he 'should' be able to pick up his passport from the office at 3pm on the 8th, so I will update whether this happens or not!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Hi all, I am hoping to book a last minute holiday for the last two weeks in July but as of yet have nothing booked. However this morning I decided to look for my passport just to be prepared and having turned the house upside down there is no sign of it.

I have been looking on the passport office website but am a bit confused about the options. I haven't actually booked anything yet so an urgent passport is not an option for me? I would be able to go to the passport office in person and order the passport but is this then considered a 'Passport Express' passport or just a regular passport?

Although I have nothing booked I am quite keen to go away at the end of July - but if worst comes to worst August is also a possibility, but the sooner I can get the passport the better. I'm just not sure what the best way to get a new one is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement