Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

suzie987 wrote: »
    I haven't actually booked anything yet so an urgent passport is not an option for me?

Correct. Urgent applications are turned around in 3-5 working days but only with proof of travel and upon payment of an extra fee.
    I would be able to go to the passport office in person and order the passport but is this then considered a 'Passport Express' passport or just a regular passport?

Over-the-counter applications cost more than Passport Express and are dealt with slower. In other words: Don't do that. The only exception is if you have proof of travel and want to make an urgent application.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Undo, thanks for that advice. I know it sounds crazy but it seems it would be more efficient if I actually booked the holiday and then got an urgent passport - but I would be very stressed waiting for the passport and worrying!

They say on the website that waiting time for the Passport Express is 15-18 days. But it seems from previous posts that it is longer than this . . .

I know it sounds crazy but it seems it would be more efficient if I actually booked the holiday and then got an urgent passport

Another tempting option is to book the cheapest Ryanair flight available for next week (or a ridiculously expensive Aer Lingus FlexiFare that is fully refundable), get a passport based on that and then book your actual holiday. It is silly how it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

I applied for passport express on the 9th June it was supposed to be here at start of week but it wasn't. So I went in yesterday ...qued at 7.30 am although if u got there before 9 30 there may be about 20 people ahead. I told them I was flying Monday and they said my passport wasnt even touched yet so they d have it for me today at 3.30. And indeed I did get it today at about 4pm. I was never asked for proof of flights...but I did have them with me incase. urgent ones are sent at 11 am to balbriggan asking for these passports to be prioritized is what she told me then they were on the last delivery to molesworth street at half 3 the next day. So it can all be turned around in one day...if u have an application on already anyways !

Just thought id share as I read this thread the other day and thought there was no hope for me !

Good luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

But I do , Im under 18 and have no proof of identity

You have a birth cert..... any picture id will do.. get a garda id if you dont have any. If you have proof of flights though you will get your passport processed on time at the passport office. will cost an extra 55 euro.

• Advertisement

rcjh82 wrote: »
    My partner got through to the passport office and was told that they were prioritising the passports for those who were flying in the coming week and his will be dealt with next week. However, it is saying on the website now after typing in his passport no. that it would be targeted to be ready for the 4th july, add 5 wrking days and that would be the 11th july, we fly on the 9th!!
    He was told that he 'should' be able to pick up his passport from the office at 3pm on the 8th, so I will update whether this happens or not!!!!

Do they know your flight dates? If you fax them that they will insure it is ready on time.... you may have to collect.

Hi all, I am hoping to book a last minute holiday for the last two weeks in July but as of yet have nothing booked. However this morning I decided to look for my passport just to be prepared and having turned the house upside down there is no sign of it.

I have been looking on the passport office website but am a bit confused about the options. I haven't actually booked anything yet so an urgent passport is not an option for me? I would be able to go to the passport office in person and order the passport but is this then considered a 'Passport Express' passport or just a regular passport?

Although I have nothing booked I am quite keen to go away at the end of July - but if worst comes to worst August is also a possibility, but the sooner I can get the passport the better. I'm just not sure what the best way to get a new one is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated![/QUOT

Last month my fiance lost/couldnt find his passport less than a week before were to travel. So he jsut had to reapply and get it signed that he lost it by garda. It was his second one to lose so they would only give him a 2 year passport. But for you if this is first time they will give you one without words. Book your holiday and apply over the counter with proof of flight and you will be able to collect your passport before you leave.

Also when you apply you wil need extra info as if appluing for first time like proof of id and pps and proof of address etc...

noodler wrote: »
    Reapplied for a seond one earlier his year, filled in the lost section on the form, they took my money etc etc and two months later I got a letter saying there was an ammendment to the Passport Act in January this year and they now require three additonal pieces of information (which I sent last week) for applications from Lost/Stolen passports.

The info they wanted was:

1) Additional photo ID

2) Additional proof of Name (payslip for example)

3) Additional proof of Address (Utility Bill or correspondence)

I would ring them and tell them you'd like to send all this stuff with the first application rather than be told sometime later you need it.

True if you lose a passport they view your application as a first time one so you ave to give all the extra stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have a passport which doesn't expire till September 2013 but all the pages are basically full. Is it possible to get a new one before the expiry date?

sitstill wrote: »
    I have a passport which doesn't expire till September 2013 but all the pages are basically full. Is it possible to get a new one before the expiry date?

Yes, absolutely. You are free to get a new passport anytime. If you are a frequent traveler and your visa pages fill up too quickly, you may want to consider applying for a variant with more pages this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Hi

Our passports arrived today the 4th of July (We are going on holidays on the 6th). It took exactly a month from date of posting to receiving then into our hands, using passport express. If we hadn't called them I don't think we would have had them as soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fortywinks

Passport due 6/7/2011 (five working days to be added) this would make it 13/7/2011, flying 14/7/2011. Been talking to someone who said they didn't get theirs back on time even after adding the 5 days. What should I do at this stage knowing that original due date isn't until Wednesday? Should I act tomorrow or wait until the 6th has past?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Apologies for hijack, am submiting my daughters application today, her travel is Aug 8th so should be relativly ok on that. But i need my own passport back by 20th July, does anyone know if i can go in and collect my passport from the application once they hav done their verification checks on it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

fortywinks wrote: »
    Passport due 6/7/2011 (five working days to be added) this would make it 13/7/2011, flying 14/7/2011. Been talking to someone who said they didn't get theirs back on time even after adding the 5 days. What should I do at this stage knowing that original due date isn't until Wednesday? Should I act tomorrow or wait until the 6th has past?

Send on your proof of travel (copy of tickets/flight confirmation) quoting your application barcode and contact number sooner than later.
    I reckon fax is the way to send it (more likely to be spotted and dealt with than an email in an already overloaded inbox). Should get fax numbers online.
    If you haven't received your passport three working days before the travel date, just go to the office and bring another copy of your flight itinerary.

minotour wrote: »
    Apologies for hijack, am submiting my daughters application today, her travel is Aug 8th so should be relativly ok on that. But i need my own passport back by 20th July, does anyone know if i can go in and collect my passport from the application once they hav done their verification checks on it?

Cheers

Shouldn't be any problem getting your passport back once the office has seen it in the flesh. They can take a photocopy and stamp it as seen and returned.
    If you are calling into the office, go a few days before your travel date and have your daughter's application barcode at hand.

It is basically a fee to jump the queue and have your passport issued quicker.
    Just like in Eastern Europe the more you pay officials the quicker things get done.

You cannot get your application prioritised by paying an extra fee alone.
    It is all based on PROOF OF TRAVEL. If you don't have anything booked or have a genuine provable reason for an urgent passport, you will have to wait the normal processing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fortywinks

Thanks Livinsane. Couldn't stand to wait any longer so got on the phone this morning. Long wait before I got through but they promised to have it out to me on time. Fingers crossed. Can't get excited about my holiday until I have the passport in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Went up last friday, flying out friday night. Cost 40e, collecting it on Friday. Luckily enough I'm 18 the sunday after I fly out so saving about 100e albeit for a 5 year passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

livinsane wrote: »
    You cannot get your application prioritised by paying an extra fee alone.
    It is all based on PROOF OF TRAVEL. If you don't have anything booked or have a genuine provable reason for an urgent passport, you will have to wait the normal processing time.
    It rewards stupidity and laziness. I could book the cheapest Ryanair flight and say "look see, I needs that passport tomorrow like".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rcjh82

Just to let ppl know that the website was finally updated yday saying my partners passport had been printed (was registered 21st june, sent by express from belfast) We were originally told tht the passport was targeted to be ready for the 8th july, the day before we were traveling. The passport is ready to be picked up today (6th) so I am travelling from belfast to collect it, hope it all goes smoothly! Looks like the passport office have done their best for us. Good luck everyone with theirs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

livinsane wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any problem getting your passport back once the office has seen it in the flesh. They can take a photocopy and stamp it as seen and returned.
    If you are calling into the office, go a few days before your travel date and have your daughter's application barcode at hand.

Thanks for the reply but we got the whole "sure I dont know ye" bullsh1t from the local Garda and decided to go for plan B. My wife is italian and has them as registered ITI's so the local emabassy can issue her an italian passsport in 2 days. Saves us a bunch of hassle.

It rewards stupidity and laziness. I could book the cheapest Ryanair flight and say "look see, I needs that passport tomorrow like".

If the passport office didn't accomodate proof of travel they'd be crucified. if someone wants to be stupid and lazy, feck em. No one probably likes them anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Is there a rule that says you must have at least 6 months validity left on your passport before it expires to travel within the EU.

My passport runs out next February and I was wondering do I need to get it renwewed to allow me to travel for the rest of the year or can I use my passport as per normal up until the expiry date??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

panama wrote: »
    Is there a rule that says you must have at least 6 months validity left on your passport before it expires to travel within the EU.

My passport runs out next February and I was wondering do I need to get it renwewed to allow me to travel for the rest of the year or can I use my passport as per normal up until the expiry date??

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

As an EU citizen, you are allowed to travel within the EU provided your current passport has not expired before your return date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RMM9

Just read through a lot of this but didn't come across this particular query. Flying Sunday week and kids passports are out of date:eek:.However they are still listed on mine (they are all under 12) which is still in date. Does anyone know if that is sufficient for entering France? Is there something about photo id for France?:confused: Also Ryanair state they will accept children on parents passports but is it true in practice? Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

In our house lately, we spent a couple of hours searching everywhere for a mislaid passport. Eventually, someone opened the scanner machine and there it was!

YOU ARE MY HERO I F**KING LOVE YOU I WAS GOING TO GO INTO THE PASSPORT OFFICE TOMORROW MORNING TO QUEUE COS I'M FLYING NEXT FRIDAY. WHY WAS IT EVEN IN THE SCANNER I DON'T CARE I WANT YOUR BABIES

RMM9 wrote: »
    Just read through a lot of this but didn't come across this particular query. Flying Sunday week and kids passports are out of date:eek:.However they are still listed on mine (they are all under 12) which is still in date. Does anyone know if that is sufficient for entering France? Is there something about photo id for France?:confused: Also Ryanair state they will accept children on parents passports but is it true in practice? Thanks.:)

I was under the impression that all travellers have to hold an individual passport if flying with Ryanair. Almost certain, Aer Lingus will have no problem.

I'd say ring the airline and ring the french embassy in Dublin. Only people who can really give you an answer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Can I clarify, is it FOUR passport photos you need now?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Posy wrote: »
    Can I clarify, is it FOUR passport photos you need now?? :confused:
    YES!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement