Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

RMM9 wrote: »
    Just read through a lot of this but didn't come across this particular query. Flying Sunday week and kids passports are out of date:eek:.However they are still listed on mine (they are all under 12) which is still in date. Does anyone know if that is sufficient for entering France? Is there something about photo id for France?:confused: Also Ryanair state they will accept children on parents passports but is it true in practice? Thanks.:)
    You are best off asking Ryanair direct before spending money on new passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

You only need to submit 4 photographs with the application if you are an adult who

1) is applying for their first passport

or

2) has had their last passport lost or stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

netopia wrote: »
    You only need to submit 4 photographs with the application if you are an adult who

1) is applying for their first passport

or

2) has had their last passport lost or stolen.

I was told by both the Garda and post office staff that you now need 4 photos for all standard applications. I sent off 4 photos for my passport express application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I was told by both the Garda and post office staff that you now need 4 photos for all standard applications. I sent off 4 photos for my passport express application.

Neither source I would consider reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Neither source I would consider reliable.

In fact I would go as far as to say both sources are totally unreliable.

If you visit the Passport Office website in relation to First time adult applicants/Lost and stolen passports this is the only place where it mentions that you need 4 photographs.

For all other applicants, i.e. all children and adults who are renewing their passsports and are able to return their previous passport you only need to submit 2 photographs which merely contain the Garda's signature and the form number. They do not (and should not) be stamped either.

However if the Garda refuses to witness the form and the lady in the post office refuses to submit the application because there are not 4 photographs included for people other than these categories of applicants it is because they are being "know it alls" rather than knowing the actual facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

When I was applying for my passport i had 2 photos signed by the Garda but the man in the post office said I had to put the 4 of them in the envelope. Two were returned with my new passport. So which is the correct thing to do? There's no harm sticking the 4 photos in with your application - better that than to have your application returned because you'd omitted to include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

I paid a visit to the Passport Office today and this is what I was told:

"The Passport Office ideally prefer 4 photographs, but 2 signed photographs will suffice, provided you are NOT applying for a passport for the first-time, or you are applying because your passport has been lost or stolen, in those circumstances 4 photographs MUST be submitted."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I paid a visit to the Passport Office today and this is what I was told:

"The Passport Office ideally prefer 4 photographs, but 2 signed photographs will suffice, provided you are NOT applying for a passport for the first-time, or you are applying because your passport has been lost or stolen, in those circumstances 4 photographs MUST be submitted."

The reason the ppo prefer four photos is that regularly the garda stamp causes problems when scanning them,Hence the two unstamped ones, which office were you told that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

I was told by a male staff member in the Passport Office, South Mall, Cork City.

I was told by a male staff member in the Passport Office, South Mall, Cork City.

Ah grand, just never heard that reason before, tbh theres so many different answers for the same question, you wouldn't know what to believe. On a related note, people should stop taking the guards and post office workers words as gospel, most of what they tell people is very ill-informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Hi, my parents are planning a trip to the UK bringing my kids. The kids do not have their own passports - they are only named on my passport.

Does anyone know the rules on this - will they be allowed to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

So people have an idea of current turnaround times, I Applied on 27th June with Passport Express. Website updated today to say it's been posted.
    Was getting very worried as I am flying Friday week and have been hearing horror stories from people at work.

kevin7 wrote: »
    Hi, my parents are planning a trip to the UK bringing my kids. The kids do not have their own passports - they are only named on my passport.

Does anyone know the rules on this - will they be allowed to travel?

Passport only required for travel to Britain if flying with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Benn trying to ring the passport office with little success so if someone could answer my questions i would be grateful.

My girlfriend has lost her passport and we are going on holidays on the 24th of July.

Can anyone tell me how much a new one will cost? (ive heard about 85 plus 55 fees on top of that?)

Can her dad drive up with the completed form and get it for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ahhhhhh - been reading this thread and already stressed about getting my new passport. My current one is slightly damaged - nothing major but I was told on my last holiday that I might have a problem in travelling on it (which I didn't). Want to get it renewed anyway just in case.

Note 6 of the Passport Application Form Notes says that where your passport is damaged, you have to submit evidence of Irish citizenship with your application, in addition to your old passport. What would suffice as evidence of Irish citizenship? I have my DIT student card and my birth cert. Will they do? I also have my driving license but I don't really want to have to send in the original of that!!!

Thanks!

xoxyx wrote: »
    What would suffice as evidence of Irish citizenship? I have my DIT student card and my birth cert. Will they do?

Just your birth cert, assuming you were born on this island before 01/01/2005.

xoxyx wrote: »
    What would suffice as evidence of Irish citizenship? I have my DIT student card and my birth cert. Will they do?

Just your birth cert, assuming you were born on this island before 01/01/2005.

Nope, if your passport is very damaged you are treated like a first time applicant i.e Long form birth cert, dit student card and two forms of proof of address.

Edit: make sure you fill in the damage section in the statement of loss and have it stamped in the garda station. It may not be necessary, it just depends on the level of damage to the passport.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Benn trying to ring the passport office with little success so if someone could answer my questions i would be grateful.

My girlfriend has lost her passport and we are going on holidays on the 24th of July.

Can anyone tell me how much a new one will cost? (ive heard about 85 plus 55 fees on top of that?)

Can her dad drive up with the completed form and get it for her?

Has she lost more than one passport? The issue date in the passport office tommorow is 27th of july afaik, so bring proof of travel. The passport will be issued for friday 22nd of july, if thats less than five working days (but more than 3) it will cost 150, if its more than five then it will be 95. Bring completed form, photo id, birth cert, two forms of address and proof of travel. Make sure you check your photos with the guidelines.

cee_jay wrote: »
    So people have an idea of current turnaround times, I Applied on 27th June with Passport Express. Website updated today to say it's been posted.
    Was getting very worried as I am flying Friday week and have been hearing horror stories from people at work.

Passport express is at 15 working days, just to let people know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So, are the signed photographs to be signed by just the garda or do I have to sign them too? It's been 10 years since my last passport application, so I'm a little rusty! :o

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    So, are the signed photographs to be signed by just the garda or do I have to sign them too? It's been 10 years since my last passport application, so I'm a little rusty! :o

The garda just needs to sign two of them, leave the other two blank. No need for you to sign them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks!
    He stamped them too, despite the 'Do Not Stamp Photos' written on the application. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Can anyone tell me what time the public counter opens at in the PPO in Dublin?
    Due to travel in 3 weeks (15 working days from today) and I had my passport in my bag to send with my application to get renewed (passport is out of date), the old passport is now lost and I don't have the time to flute around looking for it. Going to get the form signed by the guards this evening and gather birth cert, proof address etc and hit the queue tomorrow.

Panic setting in just slightly.

Posy wrote: »
    Thanks!
    He stamped them too, despite the 'Do Not Stamp Photos' written on the application. :rolleyes:

The forms actually out of date, the guards are required to stamp the photos now.

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what time the public counter opens at in the PPO in Dublin?
    Due to travel in 3 weeks (15 working days from today) and I had my passport in my bag to send with my application to get renewed (passport is out of date), the old passport is now lost and I don't have the time to flute around looking for it. Going to get the form signed by the guards this evening and gather birth cert, proof address etc and hit the queue tomorrow.

Panic setting in just slightly.

Doors open at 9.30 and close at 16.30. Its taking ten working days at the moment. Be in early and it shouldn't be too bad, fridays are usually quiet (relatively):)

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Nope, if your passport is very damaged you are treated like a first time applicant i.e Long form birth cert, dit student card and two forms of proof of address.

Edit: make sure you fill in the damage section in the statement of loss and have it stamped in the garda station. It may not be necessary, it just depends on the level of damage to the passport.

The OP asked what would serve as proof of Irish citizenship. If he or she was born anywhere on the island before 01/01/2005 then they are an Irish citizen by birth and hence a birth certificate confirms this.

mmcn90 wrote: »

The OP asked what would serve as proof of Irish citizenship. If he or she was born anywhere on the island before 01/01/2005 then they are an Irish citizen by birth and hence a birth certificate confirms this.

Sorry i asumed the poster wanted to know what docs to bring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Hi all, starting to stress about passports. Sent them in 2 weeks ago, and stupidly, very stupidly, didn't use Passport Express. I had a quick look at the website and it said something like if you had 4-6 weeks then you can use regular post, I had 5, and I thought the fees were less also, was wrong on both fronts as it happens! Can only blame wedding planning stress as well as my own stupidity!

We need them for our honeymoon, flying on Sunday 7th August. Passport Application Tracker says we should have them on Fri 5th August, the day after our wedding, but this date is only for Passport Express applications and ordinary post ones will be longer!!! Panic Stations!!! I called info line a day or 2 after I first saw this date on the tracker to enquire and the lady said to ring back after 2 weeks so have been trying all morning, can't get through surprise, surprise! Has anyone used Cork Passport Office recently and what kind of turnaround time did you get on your passport? Should be straight forward application, we're both born here and both holders of previous passports. Sent 4 photos, 2 signed and stamped by garda, old passports and completed form, they've already taken the payments out, €95 each, Passport Express would have been cheaper at €88.50. Can't believe how silly I was....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 northofwestend

Hi nikkibikki,
    I feel your pain , I was in a similar position awhile ago but I even had used Passport express but due to incompetence by An Post an the Passport crowd I was left sweating it until the last few hours!
    What I would say to you is that you still have time. My advice is not to sit on your hands. Ringing them is a waste of time - they just won't answer. Go down to the office and explain your case - bring evidence of flights, say it's your honeymoon etc. I'm not sure about Cork but in Dublin the 'Customer Services' dept was upstairs. I had to take time off work on two separate days to queue in the office and seek updates and generally hurry things along - you're going to have to do this. I would nearly say call down to them this afternoon to start the ball rolling.
    Waiting for them based on the dates they give is a fools game - DO NOT DO IT!
    Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Thanks, I'm a good 100 miles from Cork though! And Dublin! And have no annual leave to take! Otherwise I would! Could I send someone in my place? My Dad can be very presuasive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement