Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 northofwestend

Yes I would send your Dad down if you can. He should probably bring his own ID and your ID - driving licence etc - along with your evidence of flights. The more persuasive the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Yeah thanks a mill, will send someone down anyway, maybe H2B can take a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

New Rules applying for kids passports ???

Travelling 17/Aug. All forms for 2 kids signed and stamped correctly. Went to Post Office to send off via Passport Express to be told "We havn't got the new forms yet but they will say you'll need to a) SEND IN YOUR OWN PASSPORT and b) GET A LETTER TO SAY THE KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL (in JULY ?!?!)

Passport Office website has no details. Are we the victim of a disgruntled Post Office employee? Whats going on? Is there a date this comes into effect? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Just another Post Office worker giving out mis-information I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hi nikkibikki,
    I feel your pain , I was in a similar position awhile ago but I even had used Passport express but due to incompetence by An Post an the Passport crowd I was left sweating it until the last few hours!
    What I would say to you is that you still have time. My advice is not to sit on your hands. Ringing them is a waste of time - they just won't answer. Go down to the office and explain your case - bring evidence of flights, say it's your honeymoon etc. I'm not sure about Cork but in Dublin the 'Customer Services' dept was upstairs. I had to take time off work on two separate days to queue in the office and seek updates and generally hurry things along - you're going to have to do this. I would nearly say call down to them this afternoon to start the ball rolling.
    Waiting for them based on the dates they give is a fools game - DO NOT DO IT!
    Best of Luck!

Yet another person giving out about public servants:mad: Its not a question of incompetence. The problem is the lack of staff and the sheer volume of applications. If irish people didnt constantly lose their passports, or they checked the expiry date before they book a holiday (I understand people can make mistakes, but he amount of times it happens is ridiculous) then there would be nowhere near as long a wait time. Customer service is on the first floor, hatches 1 and 2. Its not a question of them not answering their phones, they're just really busy and the phone system can only take a maximum queue of ten people. Keep on trying and you may get through, if not, you need to go to Customer Service asap

• Advertisement

bmoregan wrote: »
    New Rules applying for kids passports ???

Travelling 17/Aug. All forms for 2 kids signed and stamped correctly. Went to Post Office to send off via Passport Express to be told "We havn't got the new forms yet but they will say you'll need to a) SEND IN YOUR OWN PASSPORT and b) GET A LETTER TO SAY THE KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL (in JULY ?!?!)

Passport Office website has no details. Are we the victim of a disgruntled Post Office employee? Whats going on? Is there a date this comes into effect? Anyone?

Just a few questions, have they had a passport before, is the name the same as their previous passport/ long form birth certificate?

Edit: Also, what year were they born?

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Yet another person giving out about public servants:mad: Its not a question of incompetence. The problem is the lack of staff and the sheer volume of applications. If irish people didnt constantly lose their passports, or they checked the expiry date before they book a holiday (I understand people can make mistakes, but he amount of times it happens is ridiculous) then there would be nowhere near as long a wait time. Customer service is on the first floor, hatches 1 and 2. Its not a question of them not answering their phones, they're just really busy and the phone system can only take a maximum queue of ten people. Keep on trying and you may get through, if not, you need to go to Customer Service asap

I'm merely passing on my experience. An Post lost my first renewal and my second attempt was held up for 'incorrect reasons' (their words not mine) by the passport office staff. I applied for mine by passport express two months before I needed it and I was left sweating until the last few hours due to other incompetence - and yes it was incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭toby08

should the whole deal not be about realistic expectations.It does not matter if it takes 6 months for a passport to as long as everyone is aware of it .For example the website says 4-6 weeks for normal post ,a member of the public should expect their passport in this time frame. If this is not the case the website phones etc should state this. Yes there will be peaks as people rush to escape the rain,My brother who needs his passport as he travels for business always allows 8 weeks at winter time and renews his passport early ..as a result he usually has his in 3-4 weeks max.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

Kids born '05 and '97. Same names as Long-Form certs. The only thing that might raise an eyebrow is that we've lost the 2 passports they held before.

Still don't see why a parent/guardian (or both, actually) would surrender their passport while their kids is processed. I just never heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lost passports trigger the whole birth cert carry on. Your 05 born child is not automatically an Irish citizen so proof of your citizenship is needed, hence your passport is needed.

• Advertisement

Seconding what Toby said above! I got through to a lovely
    Cork fella and he said applications submitted by normal post take 10 weeks!!!! I said the website really needs to updated and he says I totally agree with you but it's nothing really to do with us! I nearly started crying there and then on the phone saying we're due to go on honeymoon on 7th Aug. He asked me to fax on the flight itinery which I did and they will do their best so fingers crossed. The only worrying thing now is my photo, I'm wearing my glasses in them and he said there's a tiny glare on one of my iris's but he said it'll probably be ok so fingers, toes and butt cheeks crossed on that one. He took my mobile and work number and said they will contact me if any issues, so it's an anxious wait now for us now to see if we can get them in time and all because a website has incorrect information.......

I'm merely passing on my experience. An Post lost my first renewal and my second attempt was held up for 'incorrect reasons' (their words not mine) by the passport office staff. I applied for mine by passport express two months before I needed it and I was left sweating until the last few hours due to other incompetence - and yes it was incompetence.

Thats fair enough, that was incompetence, and I apoligise for the tone of my post. TBH I'm just sick of the Joe Duffyites who complain and complain for completely stupid reasons

bmoregan wrote: »
    Kids born '05 and '97. Same names as Long-Form certs. The only thing that might raise an eyebrow is that we've lost the 2 passports they held before.

Still don't see why a parent/guardian (or both, actually) would surrender their passport while their kids is processed. I just never heard of it before.

As 'Our Man In Havana' said, it triggers the whole process again, you could send in your Birth and Marriage cert again instead of your passport though. Maybe send in Proof of travel as well just in case, the letter from school is BS tbh.

toby08 wrote: »
    should the whole deal not be about realistic expectations.It does not matter if it takes 6 months for a passport to as long as everyone is aware of it .For example the website says 4-6 weeks for normal post ,a member of the public should expect their passport in this time frame. If this is not the case the website phones etc should state this. Yes there will be peaks as people rush to escape the rain,My brother who needs his passport as he travels for business always allows 8 weeks at winter time and renews his passport early ..as a result he usually has his in 3-4 weeks max.

The normal post thing is stupid, its never done in 4-6 weeks, and I personally feel it should be abolished. Passport express states however that during peak times, the wait time may be increased.

Thats fair enough, that was incompetence, and I apoligise for the tone of my post. TBH I'm just sick of the Joe Duffyites who complain and complain for completely stupid reasons

No problem buddy, I know where you are coming from with the Joe Duffy brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Right, I just realised my severly damaged passport (Crack down middle of plastic page with my photo etc) will probably not suffice going to USA on the 4th of August?
    Am i right in thinking aer lingus wont let me travel?

If this is the case, I noticed passport express takes 15 working days, is this a maximum? As I have 14 working days to get sorted if I apply first thing 2moro morning? Will that be enough time based on people's experiences?
    Any advice?

only1stevo wrote: »
    Right, I just realised my severly damaged passport (Crack down middle of plastic page with my photo etc) will probably not suffice going to USA on the 4th of August?
    Am i right in thinking aer lingus wont let me travel?

If this is the case, I noticed passport express takes 15 working days, is this a maximum? As I have 14 working days to get sorted if I apply first thing 2moro morning? Will that be enough time based on people's experiences?
    Any advice?

Should be enough time, you'll have to go to the Passport Office though. Bring your proof of travel, your birth cert , photo id and two proof of address. They may not be necessary, just in case though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Should be enough time, you'll have to go to the Passport Office though. Bring your proof of travel, your birth cert , photo id and two proof of address. They may not be necessary, just in case though

Grand cheers, will I have to pay any extra fees?

The office costs€95 rather than €88.50 for px. Apart from that there are no other fees

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Passport express is at 15 working days, just to let people know

I presume thats 15 working days? Sent mine via passport express and they recieved it on the 30th and its still only at the checking stage...

• Advertisement

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Passport express is at 15 working days, just to let people know

I presume thats 15 working days? Sent mine via passport express and they recieved it on the 30th and its still only at the checking stage...

Yep 15 working days, checking stage is the last stage before it goes to productionso it shouldn't be long. It means a checker now physically has your application

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

My passport is due to expire in 2 months and I want to renew it ASAP. Filled out the form etc and went down to the Garda station with my photo's and form.

Was asked for proof of ID. Asked the Guard if National Age Card is ok to which she replied... "No".

Drivers licence or birth cert are apparently the only two forms of ID that are acceptable.

I don't get it given that I got my GARDA ID from the Garda station a few years ago.

Is this a recent rule because I wasn't made aware of it.

----

Also I'm planning to use Passport Express but filled out my credit card details on the form.

Was just re-reading the step by step guide to each section and it says that if you're planning to go by Passport Express that you should pay the fee to the Post Office clerk...

Did I fill that section out wrong? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Just thought I'd post this, in the middle of my passport application.

I would have just gone and got my passport photographs from a machine, but there were none near work, so I went to a guy who does them professionally (http://usonlineformphoto.blogspot.com/). I'll update this later with their actual webpage.

I didn't realise, but there are a load of reasons why a passport photo may be rejected, including showing your teeth - so don't smile too much! The wrong background, etc., can render your passport pic ineligible. Just FYI!
    Nope, if your passport is very damaged you are treated like a first time applicant i.e Long form birth cert, dit student card and two forms of proof of address.

Edit: make sure you fill in the damage section in the statement of loss and have it stamped in the garda station. It may not be necessary, it just depends on the level of damage to the passport.
    The OP asked what would serve as proof of Irish citizenship. If he or she was born anywhere on the island before 01/01/2005 then they are an Irish citizen by birth and hence a birth certificate confirms this.
    Sorry i asumed the poster wanted to know what docs to bring

Thanks guys. I have a bit of time to renew my passport, but I'm worried about doing something wrong on the form and getting it sent back to me. What I'm going to do is send everything - just in case. I'm sending back in: my old passport; the relevant completed form - duly stamped; four photos - two of which have been verified; birth cert; and, original driver's license. I'm setting this all out in a letter saying that I'm enclosing anything that could be needed, just to ensure that there will be no problems. It's overkill and it's silly to be sending in all of this documentation - but, from what I've read on this thread, I'm not taking my chances!!!

It's nuts to have to go to this length, but, it's also nuts that I'm paying for Passport Express when I have over a month to go before my holiday. I wouldn't risk going through the normal passport application process though!

FYI to the last poster, Passport Express is actually CHEAPER than applying by regular post. Yes, the quicker service is cheaper than the slow one. Passport Express is €80 plus €8.50 to An Post so €88.50 in total, and regular application is €95.

Passport Office called to say I need new photos, there was a little glare from my glasses. Anyone know if I need to get these re certified by a Garda and fill out a new form or just end em in as they are? All the guy said on the phone was to send a cover letter, but never mentioned getting them re certified, and I didn't think of it til I was about to walk into Post Office to post them off.

Edited to say: Passport Office guy returned my voicemail just there now to say they don't have to be signed by the guards again, phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mugbags

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Passport Office called to say I need new photos, there was a little glare from my glasses. Anyone know if I need to get these re certified by a Garda and fill out a new form or just end em in as they are? All the guy said on the phone was to send a cover letter, but never mentioned getting them re certified, and I didn't think of it til I was about to walk into Post Office to post them off.

Edited to say: Passport Office guy returned my voicemail just there now to say they don't have to be signed by the guards again, phew!!

Same thing happened with my photos, the lady in the office rang me and said to just have new photos taken, no need to get Garda to sign them as they had certified the first ones. Passport was issued a couple of days after I posted the photos back so you should have your passport by the end of the week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Abolyss

Hi, I don't know if anyone is online right now, or if anyone will reply to me in time.

I am flying tomorrow (Wednesday 20th July, 13:30) and I just realised that I read my passport wrong and its out of date since November 2010. I realise I am super moronic for not realising this year is 2011 not 2010 and that I should have then applied for a new passport. At this point im planning on going to the passport office in Cork to find out about getting a temp. passport. However I don't know if this is possible in my position and also I have no idea if the temp. is one-way only or if it will bring me home from my holidays also.

I feel absolutely sickened at the moment and any (optimistic) help would be greatly appreciated. I just have feeling I'm not leaving the country and just lost my money!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

nikkibikki wrote: »
    FYI to the last poster, Passport Express is actually CHEAPER than applying by regular post. Yes, the quicker service is cheaper than the slow one. Passport Express is €80 plus €8.50 to An Post so €88.50 in total, and regular application is €95.

Didn't realise that. Mental!
    Abolyss wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know if anyone is online right now, or if anyone will reply to me in time.

I am flying tomorrow (Wednesday 20th July, 13:30) and I just realised that I read my passport wrong and its out of date since November 2010. I realise I am super moronic for not realising this year is 2011 not 2010 and that I should have then applied for a new passport. At this point im planning on going to the passport office in Cork to find out about getting a temp. passport. However I don't know if this is possible in my position and also I have no idea if the temp. is one-way only or if it will bring me home from my holidays also.

I feel absolutely sickened at the moment and any (optimistic) help would be greatly appreciated. I just have feeling I'm not leaving the country and just lost my money!

Thanks.

Ok - you'd be lucky. But, if there's any way you manage to renew your passport, you'd need to go to the head office (don't know about the Cork office, but it may work). MAKE SURE, you bring alternative proof of id, and a utility bill, and some other photographic evidence of who you are, and also proof of travel. I really don't know if that will work - but be sure that you bring all paperwork that they could possibly ask for.

The Passport Office is a pain, but they do seem to try their best to accommodate people who are having difficulties. I may be wrong in this advice, but, if you have time to go to Dublin to go to the head office before your flight, I'd do so.

Horrible thing to happen - I wish you the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Abolyss

Thanks for the reply.

If the queues are as hectic as normal I would think I have a slim chance unless I leave now and sleep outside the front door. Unless things have changed in recent times. At this point a lot of things have tried to halt the process and this is just the final straw in my motivation to go anywhere.

Do you know if the temporary passport is one-way? I can't find anything about this topic on the DFA website. I do know it's 110€ but if its one-way its not worth it, nor is there an embassy near enough to where I will be visiting to get another one to get home, if it is one-way.

It's horrible knowing that if I had read it right the first time I could have applied for a new passport and be on my way, cheerfully. Also on another note I hate the fact that we don't have those EU ID cards AND I hate that the 3 month reminder isn't mandatory.

I need a punching bag :P

• Advertisement

Abolyss wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

If the queues are as hectic as normal I would think I have a slim chance unless I leave now and sleep outside the front door. Unless things have changed in recent times. At this point a lot of things have tried to halt the process and this is just the final straw in my motivation to go anywhere.

Do you know if the temporary passport is one-way? I can't find anything about this topic on the DFA website. I do know it's 110€ but if its one-way its not worth it, nor is there an embassy near enough to where I will be visiting to get another one to get home, if it is one-way.

It's horrible knowing that if I had read it right the first time I could have applied for a new passport and be on my way, cheerfully. Also on another note I hate the fact that we don't have those EU ID cards AND I hate that the 3 month reminder isn't mandatory.

I need a punching bag :P

Tbh its unlikely you'll get one, you may be lucky , but 3 working days is usually the quickest you can get one. Temps are only issued for medical emergencies or bereavements. It may sound harsh, but a holiday just isnt an emergency. Btw temps are usually issued for a few months rather than one journey

Edit: How do you propose they remind you, most people aren't living at the same address or have the same contact details ten years later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement