Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

nikkibikki wrote: »
    FYI to the last poster, Passport Express is actually CHEAPER than applying by regular post. Yes, the quicker service is cheaper than the slow one. Passport Express is €80 plus €8.50 to An Post so €88.50 in total, and regular application is €95.

The reson for that is to encourage people to use PX, there is less staff input necessary, therefore its cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Yeah I'd thought that was the reason for the price diff alright.

Hope you get sorted Abolyss.

Oh by the way, for anyone that is getting passport photos that wears glasses, you'd probably be best off taking them off for the photo. The place I got mine done checked for glare off my glasses and couldn't see one but PPO could see a tiny one and this is why they wanted more photos so just got em taken with no glasses to be on safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭billyhead

What is the cost of getting a passport directly in the passport office and the cost of getting it via passport express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sarahedel

Send my passport away thru standard post 7 weeks ago and today it's status changed to received and is being checked. However I've only just realised that I've paid the wrong amount. Online it says 95euro for standard post but I only posted an 80euro check because that's what it said on my (clearly outdated) application form. The gaurda at the station told me attaching four pictures, not two, was the only change. The passport office have not contacted me yet about this, should I wait or ring them. How much is this going to delay my passport, as It's already been gone for 7 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

sarahedel wrote: »
    Send my passport away thru standard post 7 weeks ago and today it's status changed to received and is being checked. However I've only just realised that I've paid the wrong amount. Online it says 95euro for standard post but I only posted an 80euro check because that's what it said on my (clearly outdated) application form. The gaurda at the station told me attaching four pictures, not two, was the only change. The passport office have not contacted me yet about this, should I wait or ring them. How much is this going to delay my passport, as It's already been gone for 7 weeks?

You should get a call to ask you if you want to pay the balance by credit card.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    What is the cost of getting a passport directly in the passport office and the cost of getting it via passport express?

According to the website it's €95, but it's an extra €55 on top of that if it's urgent i.e. if you need it within 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So sent away the kids passport applications on 10 July, they were received and registered on the 12 July and as of today, are still at the same stage!

We are supposed to be travelling on Sunday 31st and I'm seriously worried we're not going to receive them by Friday the 29th.

Have sent them three e-mails now, along with our travel details (as requested by them in the first e-mail) and have heard nothing back since the last e-mail 3 days ago.

Does anyone know how long it takes the applications to go from the 'checked and approved' stage to actually being printed and posted off?

Their site states they are experiencing delays of 2 working days, but even at that, my applications seems to have been stalled at the first stage for ages now. If the passports aren't posted by Wednesday at the very latest, we're up sh!t creek, as neither of us can get the time off to travel up to Cork next week.

Am very worried now at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

So sent away the kids passport applications on 10 July, they were received and registered on the 12 July and as of today, are still at the same stage!

We are supposed to be travelling on Sunday 31st and I'm seriously worried we're not going to receive them by Friday the 29th.

Have sent them three e-mails now, along with our travel details (as requested by them in the first e-mail) and have heard nothing back since the last e-mail 3 days ago.

Does anyone know how long it takes the applications to go from the 'checked and approved' stage to actually being printed and posted off?

Their site states they are experiencing delays of 2 working days, but even at that, my applications seems to have been stalled at the first stage for ages now. If the passports aren't posted by Wednesday at the very latest, we're up sh!t creek, as neither of us can get the time off to travel up to Cork next week.

Am very worried now at this stage :(

Mine was registered on July 4th and I got it Wednesday. It stays at registered for ages, then goes through the printed/posted stages very quickly, within a day. I'd be pretty confident you'll have it by the middle of next week.

Mine was registered on July 4th and I got it Wednesday. It stays at registered for ages, then goes through the printed/posted stages very quickly, within a day. I'd be pretty confident you'll have it by the middle of next week.

Oh I hope so!

The kids would be devestated if we couldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Oh I hope so!

The kids would be devestated if we couldn't go.

Keep trying to contacting to contact them if status doesn't change soon. I received mine in thirteen working days though fifteen was forecast. They seem almost on top of things now.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

I'd ring them instead of emailing them TBH, I know it takes ages to get through but I've found that just after 2pm, like at 2.01pm, is the easiest time to get through. I'm waiting anxiously on the status of mine to change, checking it a few times a day, as we are going on honeymoon in 2 weeks..... I've faxed them my travel details and have had to send in a second set of photos too for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Does anyone know how long it takes for the passport to arrive after it says its being "checked"? Its said that for mine since last Friday, i plan on going on holidays this Saturday, squeaky bum time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hoki wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes for the passport to arrive after it says its being "checked"? Its said that for mine since last Friday, i plan on going on holidays this Saturday, squeaky bum time :(
    You should have it by Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hi guys,

I'm flying to the UK with Ryan Air on Friday the 5th August but just found out my passport has expired by a couple of months.

If I go down to the passport office in Cork tomorrow, will I get it back in time and what will the cost be?

Thanks.

According to the website, you pay €95 and another €55 if you need it in 5 working days. You will most likely have to go back in a week to collect it. I think anyway..... Ours are being "Checked" now as of this mornings webiste update so hoping to have them by this Friday!! Will be one big worry off our minds!!

According to the website, you pay €95 and another €55 if you need it in 5 working days. You will most likely have to go back in a week to collect it. I think anyway..... Ours are being "Checked" now as of this mornings webiste update so hoping to have them by this Friday!! Will be one big worry off our minds!!

But what if you NEED in within 7/8 working days? Do you still have to pay an extra €55?

And will I have to go to Cork to collect it from them, aswell as going down there to submit the application?

Thanks

ASAIK, they will do their best to get it to you when you need it but to be 100% sure, I would pay the €55 if you need your passport by Fri week. Do you defo need it to go to UK? Sorry, haven't flown to UK in years so dunno myself. And ASAIK, yes you would need to go down to submit application and to collect it, or I suppose you could probably get someone to collect it for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Ryanair demand a valid passport even of you're flying within Ireland, let alone to the UK.

I haven't actually booked the flights yet, but I was intending to go with Ryan Air, as they are usually much cheaper.

A ferry is out of the question, as Hollyhead is too far away from Manchester, and I looked into a Ferry to Liverpool, but they don't seem to be readily available from Dublin/Rosslare and are too expensive.

What other options do I have with regards airlines?

I would be willing to fly to Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester.

But I read somewhere that I need a drivers licence with Air Lingus if I dont have a passport, and I don't have a drivers licence, I don't even have a provisional one. Would a birth cert/student ID suffice?

Thanks

Student ID is ok with Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement

Student ID is ok with Aer Lingus.

Cheers.

I'm on my phone here so I can't check flights, but do you reckon I could get a return flight to Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds for in and around €60-100 for Friday 5th of August, returning the next day?

Thanks again.

PM'd you Blatter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

You should have it by Thursday.

I bloody hope so , it now says its been printed so the next step is postage , fingers crossed

Ours are now gone from "being checked" back to "registered." :( Anyone ever seen the status going backwards before?

Hoki wrote: »
    I bloody hope so , it now says its been printed so the next step is postage , fingers crossed
    I reckon you will have it Wednesday now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

FYI to the last poster, Passport Express is actually CHEAPER than applying by regular post. Yes, the quicker service is cheaper than the slow one. Passport Express is €80 plus €8.50 to An Post so €88.50 in total, and regular application is €95.

Yeah, this is weird. I came on here to check whether I was mis-reading their website or what. It seems I'm not.

Is there any possibility of some sort of inverse logic thing going on whereby Passport Express is actually slower now (following the industrial 'in-action' last year) and so you pay less ?

Or is it just well and truly messed up ?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Can't find the receipt where I paid for the express post grrr and stupidly never took down the number on the application.Is there a way of finding out the number to check the passport applications progress?.I know the person who's application went before me(don't think that would help?.)

It might if the forms were in sequence. Try their number but change the last digit to one up or one down.

Does anyone know how long it takes from when the passports are printed to when you receive them?

Had a guy on the phone yesterday saying he would be sending the passports out today, but it's still only at the printed stage on the tracker.

As last post before the weekend we fly out is Friday, I'm crapping it here....

• Advertisement

Normally they are sent the same day or at the very latest the next day once printed appears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement