Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Ours went from Printed to Posted yesterday and we had them this morning so you should have them today or tomorrow at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 roc2009

Hi, Just booked a family hol for the 16th August - and surprise surprise all 3 kids passports expired! Will get all paperwork, photos done today and ready to go tomorrow. I know there is a delay on passport express so they wouldnt be back on time (even without the bank holiday) Can anyone let me know how the counter system works - and how long are the ques around this time of year? Is there a good time of day to go in? Does it close for lunch?Sorry for all the question but I just want to be prepared for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Ours went from Printed to Posted yesterday and we had them this morning so you should have them today or tomorrow at the latest.

Came this morning, so much relief all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Maguss

Hey All,

My sister and my niece are coming to Italy with me in two weeks, she had to send off her own passport to get her baby daughter a passport too. When she rang them after hearing nothing for a few weeks they said it normally takes 8 weeks during the Summer to get a passport by post so that she would be better calling to the office in person. Current situation is she called into the office and handed them all the babies documentation (again) so her passport they said will be ready Thursday 11th of August (we all fly out on the Friday) but my sisters passport is somewhere in their sorting office out in Baldoyle and they may or may not have found it in time.
    Does anyone have any contacts in the sorting office of the passport or any suggestions as to what we can do. Apparently they only do emergency passports now for bereavement situations. The guy in the office is suggestion we ring every day in the hope they find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

My passport has expired and im off to thailand in 7 weeks, can someone outline what I need to do to get a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 roc2009

roc2009 wrote: »
    Hi, Just booked a family hol for the 16th August - and surprise surprise all 3 kids passports expired! Will get all paperwork, photos done today and ready to go tomorrow. I know there is a delay on passport express so they wouldnt be back on time (even without the bank holiday) Can anyone let me know how the counter system works - and how long are the ques around this time of year? Is there a good time of day to go in? Does it close for lunch?Sorry for all the question but I just want to be prepared for the day!

Just back from the pasport office - just over 2hrs waiting time (in for 1045am) and only 5mins to register details. Our passports will be ready for collection on the 12th. Staff were really helpful - guy at ticket machine letting people know what the waiting time will be so they can go off and come back nearer their number!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

just found out that 'm going to Turkey at the end of the month as a surprise. However I've heard that my passport needs to be valid for 6 months upon entering the country, whereas mine will be only valid for 5. If I apply for one today is there a good chance that I'll get it before the 27th of August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

Thanks, better head in so and join the queue! Kinda annoying would have thought five months would have been enough, oh well what can you do!

Check with the Turkish embassy first though. I take it some travel agent told you this as it sounds like their usual speil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sent my application via Passport Express on the 15th of July. Was received on the 16th of July according to the Passport tracker.

Target date for my passport to be delivered is supposed to be today but the status has been the same ever since.

I know it says that there's a delay of 2 working days and I know there was a bank holiday but surely a status change should have happened by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RMM9

Just wanted to say thanks for the words of advice and to share my experiences. About 12 days before flying we discovered our kids passports were out of date.We did have them on ours but couldn't get confirmation of whether this was sufficient for Ryan Air or France:confused: DH was practically stroking out at the uncertainty.I decided to try for new passports applying through Cork which is local to us. Filled out the forms out having collected them from Garda Station and brought them in on a Thursday (due to fly the Sunday week). In my stressed out state didn't spot they had given me the incorrect forms :eek: (ALWAYS CHECK THE SMALL PRINT) and I had to get forms refilled,stamped etc and drop them in on the Friday. Was told to collect them on the following Friday and they were there.While apologising for stupidity of not checking earlier, the guy behind the counter said "that's nothing, we've had people in with their suitcases on the way to the airport and sorted them out". Also we were not charged any additional fee for the quick turn around, just the standard fee.:) Hope our experiences is helpful for people. Queues were very light, went in about 2pm both days.:)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sent my application via Passport Express on the 15th of July. Was received on the 16th of July according to the Passport tracker.

Target date for my passport to be delivered is supposed to be today but the status has been the same ever since.

I know it says that there's a delay of 2 working days and I know there was a bank holiday but surely a status change should have happened by now?
    It often all happens on the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kingcoma

My mate and i are due to travel next wednesday. His passport was supposed to be ready on Monday but is now showing a delay of 4-5 days, meaning he cant travel.

Is there any way to expedite or pay a couple hundred euro to sort this if his current passport is in their system for renewal.

kingcoma wrote: »
    My mate and i are due to travel next wednesday. His passport was supposed to be ready on Monday but is now showing a delay of 4-5 days, meaning he cant travel.

Is there any way to expedite or pay a couple hundred euro to sort this if his current passport is in their system for renewal.
    Head down to the passport office with proof of travel. You will be sorted out.

For definite ya reckon? We are from Tyrone so goin to the passport office is a long trek if it ends up fruitless. Do you need to make an appointment or can you just land into the office?

Just roll up with your documents. Only thing is you will have to return to collect maybe a day or so later. Best call them first.

Cheers man, Really hope we can get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Can I suggest that it might be time to whittle down some of the content on this sticky so that the really useful information is presented somewhere like the first page instead of spread out over 120 pages and ~1800 posts.

I'm sure that a lot of the stuff buried in 1 year and 4 months of posts while technically interesting, is effectively lost along with the really useful information like the fact that the forms as currently printed and available from Garda stations and post offices is incorrect.

Why they couldn't stick in an addendum with the new instructions or include a sheet with the new instructions is beyond me, but I'm sure it's been discussed here before.

I gather that the information here - http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254 - is more up to date than the form, but most people are going to take the form at face value, having been told here (last updated in 2009) - http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=256 - that they should pick up a form at any of the list of places. No mention is made of the fact that the regulations changed since the form was printed.

This may sound like a rant, but it's not really. It's an appeal to shorten this sticky so that someone coming here to find out what the tricks and gotchas are when getting a passport can actually find the main ones (change in requirements) easily.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Hey. I just went to the guarda station tonight and filled out the form.

I'm in an urgent emergency urgent situation :(
    Holidays in TWO days and an expired passport. (Yeah stupid of me in the first place etc)

So.. I got the photos, I got the old passport I got the form from the cop station filled out and the photos and form are stamped and signed.

I was gonna head to the offices tomorow and trek to Dublin (hate that trip) but are you saying the forms from the cops is out of date or something??

On a scale of 1 to 10... just how ****ed am I? :(

What about this office in Balbriggan and how can I get an apointment there in the morning?

Also, thats a good point about trimming down this thread. I never knew it existed before now and its sure as hell daunting trying to get through it.

Edit - Just to clarify:
    Going away in 2 days (saturday) and Passport is expired.
    What can I do?
    Where can I do it?
    How much will it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

KoKane wrote: »

Holidays in TWO days and an expired passport. (Yeah stupid of me in the first place etc)

So.. I got the photos, I got the old passport I got the form from the cop station filled out and the photos and form are stamped and signed.

I was gonna head to the offices tomorow and trek to Dublin (hate that trip) but are you saying the forms from the cops is out of date or something??

What about this office in Balbriggan and how can I get an apointment there in the morning?

Also, thats a good point about trimming down this thread. I never knew it existed before now and its sure as hell daunting trying to get through it.

Edit - Just to clarify:
    What can I do?
    Where can I do it?
    How much will it cost?

I haven't been in the emergency situation, so I can't advise on exactly what you need to do, but I imagine a trip to Dublin is in your very near future.

In terms of the form, the main differences that I found out last night when I went to the Garda station are that you now only need to submit a photocopy and you don't need to submit your existing passport (not any use for you in your current situation) and also that you need to have 4 copies of the photo and not 2 as per the form. There may be others, but I imagine that if the Gardai witnessed your form and everything is signed, you have got over all those bumps.

There were definitely additional requirements where you have lost your old passport, but again this doesn't sound like it applies to you.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Edit - Just to clarify:
    What can I do?
    Where can I do it?
    How much will it cost?

Not a chance, it takes 3 working days.

Apply on a Thursday and have i on a Monday. Also no office in Balbriggan, its in Molesworth St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

passport office asking for a civil marraige cert, when i sent the one the priest gave me, as i was married in a church, where does one apply for a civil cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

goat2 wrote: »
    passport office asking for a civil marraige cert, when i sent the one the priest gave me, as i was married in a church, where does one apply for a civil cert

Depending on your location just check the list

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/bdm/How_to_register_a_birth/Registrars_of_Births_Deaths_and_Marriages.html

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

Edit - Just to clarify:
    What can I do?
    Where can I do it?
    How much will it cost?

Hello there are you from Balbriggan your self just to let you know there is a PASSPORT OFFICE IN BALBRIGGAN it's opposite AIB

It is not open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

Edit - Just to clarify:
    What can I do?
    Where can I do it?
    How much will it cost?
    Hello, the Balbriggan office is not a public office and you cannot make an appointment, if you have just applied today i'd say there is a very slim chance of getting the passport but if you do you would probably have to pick it up in Balbriggan seen as it's urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

Legend20 wrote: »
    Hello, the Balbriggan office is not a public office and you cannot make an appointment, if you have just applied today i'd say there is a very slim chance of getting the passport but if you do you would probably have to pick it up in Balbriggan seen as it's urgent.

should just get some one who works there to pull some strings for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Also bring proof of travel with you in the morning. Cost of passport is €95 plus a €55 late fee. You'll be very fortunate to get sorted out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alonso69

Its such an irish thing for a person to think that they will get a passport there and then!! maybe make sure u have ur passport before u book ur holiday to avoid disapointment!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement