Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Quick question on behalf of a friend...she's applying for a passport for the first time. One of the (new) requirements for first time applicants is to include photo ID (which she doesn't have), has everything else but no ID.
    What now? Used to be you could get some sort of form from the Garda station, along with a birth cert & proof of address and make a sworn declaration...is this still possible? If not, how does she proceed? Thanks in advance for any help...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Checked the passport tracker. As of this morning, it's being checked. I'm assuming (providing the application is approved) that it'll be printed today too and sent next week?

I'm due to fly out next Friday and am getting a tad anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Wertz wrote: »
    Quick question on behalf of a friend...she's applying for a passport for the first time. One of the (new) requirements for first time applicants is to include photo ID (which she doesn't have), has everything else but no ID.
    What now? Used to be you could get some sort of form from the Garda station, along with a birth cert & proof of address and make a sworn declaration...is this still possible? If not, how does she proceed? Thanks in advance for any help...

If she's 18 she can get a Garda Age Card, if not get a Luas ID it's free and easiest photo ID to get.

If she's 18 she can get a Garda Age Card, if not get a Luas ID it's free and easiest photo ID to get.

Yeah figured the age card was the only way, but fairly long lead time. Luas card not really an option since she's not in Dublin.
    Have to say it's a strange way of doing things, needing photo ID to get photo ID...the determined would-be scammer will hardly be dettered by the extra hoop to jump through, that presumably would be easy enough to muddle past anyway. I'd like to think that security checks for a passport are more dilligent than those for an age card or luas ID.
    Anyway thanks for the suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Yeah figured the age card was the only way, but fairly long lead time. Luas card not really an option since she's not in Dublin.
    Have to say it's a strange way of doing things, needing photo ID to get photo ID...the determined would-be scammer will hardly be dettered by the extra hoop to jump through, that presumably would be easy enough to muddle past anyway. I'd like to think that security checks for a passport are more dilligent than those for an age card or luas ID.

There are, its just the public aren't told them all;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You could go into the PPO and say the applicant has no photo id, they will giv you a cert of id which you get signed and stamped by someone on the list of professions who knows them personally

There are, its just the public aren't told them all;):D

Of course not. My point is that a mickey mouse ID card should hardly be a requirement in the granting of something as secure as a passport...all it proves is that someone already had a birth cert, garda signature and a photo of themselves, which they need for the passport itself anyhow.
    Anyway this isn;t the thread for this debate...I'll tell her mmcn90's suggestion (but think she already tried this with a DM10 form that is no longer acceptable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

mmcn90 wrote: »
    You could go into the PPO and say the applicant has no photo id, they will giv you a cert of id which you get signed and stamped by someone on the list of professions who knows them personally

Another alternative is to use a ML10 form (available at Garda stations) which you sign to state that you do not possess a photo ID. Get the Garda to sign a spare passport photo and attach.

Make sure you bring plenty documentary proof of name and address if you do not have a photo ID.

My passport has expired and im off to thailand in 7 weeks, can someone outline what I need to do to get a new one

Use Passport Express - 88.50e
    Submit completed form, four photos (two signed by Garda) and most recent passport.
    Keep your post office receipt and be aware of 3-4 week waiting time.

zagmund wrote: »
    Yeah, this is weird. I came on here to check whether I was mis-reading their website or what. It seems I'm not.

Is there any possibility of some sort of inverse logic thing going on whereby Passport Express is actually slower now (following the industrial 'in-action' last year) and so you pay less ?

Or is it just well and truly messed up ?

z

Passport Express is the fastest postal method. The reason it is cheaper than Ordinary Post is that the Dept are trying to encourage people to use it, as it is more secure than the standard post.

Your status may have changed for a few reasons but if it read "being checked", it means that the passport is close to being printed, unless there is a problem with your documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

An ML10 form is not acceptable to use for a passport application, the photo is too easily switchable. The passport office have their own form which they print with your passport photo on it once you have submitted the application.

Apparently my application can't be processed. I sent my photo's which were signed, I filled out the "lost passport" section on the form and got it signed by a Garda.

Sent my long birth cert, my photo ID which was copied by the chap in the Post Office and a bank statement with my name/address on it.

I'm due to fly out on Friday. If I go into the Passport Office on Monday morning to try and get whatever it is they want me to get sorted out, do you think I could have the passport by Friday if I show them my proof of travel?

EDIT: Will I have to pay an extra fee or anything on top of what I've already paid for Passport Express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the issue that is preventing it from being processed?

What is the issue that is preventing it from being processed?

I'll have to find out when I ring them on Monday morning due to the office not being open today.

I'm blind in my right eye and a mate of mine suggested that it could be that? I don't know though. I'll find out for definite what it is on Monday morning.

I've rang the Passport office (Dublin) to no avail. Same automated voice message over and over again.

I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go in. I'll bring my proof of travel, a utility bill and a picture ID.

The chap in the post office photocopied my Garda ID but I've only got an out of date college ID.... Will they accept that? It's the only other form of ID I have.....

They have my long birth cert and photo's already with my failed application. Reckon I should be ok with that?

I mean, I've no idea what the problem with my application is tbh.

Rang the Post Office where I got my Passport Express done and they seemed baffled too.

EDIT: Success. On hold now.... Thankfully.

So it turns out that they don't accept photocopied ID. I blame you Post Office worker. :rolleyes:

An Post do not have a flipping clue at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

The parents are off the lanzarote at the end of october for 2 weeks, there passports are out of date in december, will they be ok to travel or should they go about getting new passports.

does the 6 month rule apply when travelling within europe ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Your parents will be perfectly fine with their current passports for their holiday in Lanzarote. Once their passports have not expired before they are due to return home everything is o.k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Your parents will be perfectly fine with their current passports for their holiday in Lanzarote. Once their passports have not expired before they are due to return home everything is o.k.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

does the 6 month rule apply when travelling within europe ?
    What rule? Oh you mean some nonsense made up by travel agents?

Just back from the passport office. Gave in an extra proof of address and she took my actual Garda Age Card.

I've to go back in on Thursday to pick my passport up. Relief.

Thanks for all the help lads/lassies.

Just a word of warning, don't let a Post Office worker photocopy your ID because your application won't be accepted. That's what happened to me.

Right... Another twist...

Just got a package in the post with my birth cert, a photo and my bank statement returned to me with details outlining what was wrong with my application.

I had not been told that they would send me all that back. I was just expecting a letter back.

EDIT: Is this going to affect me picking up my passport? They never said anything about sending me anything back when I was in the passport office or anything.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Right... Another twist...

Just got a package in the post with my birth cert, a photo and my bank statement returned to me with details outlining what was wrong with my application.

I had not been told that they would send me all that back. I was just expecting a letter back.

FFS.
    Normal enough.

Normal enough.

So do you reckon I'll still be able to collect my passport on Thursday then without any qualms?

I see no reason why not.

I see no reason why not.

Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

How important is it to sign your name in black ink? Everything else on the form I've filled out in black but I didn't realise the pen the Garda handed me was blue :rolleyes: so my signature and his section are in blue ink. Also there is a part on his section that says "Do not stamp the back of the photograph" and he has stamped both. If I send this form and those photos away are they likely to be rejected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If I make a mistake on the passport renewel form can I put a crossed line through it and continue or do I need a new form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

When I go to the gardai to get my 2 passport photos signed , I have no other form of ID to prove to the garda who I say I am, what do i do in this situation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement