Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just rang the Passport office.

I had gotten my birth cert etc back in the post when I came back from the passport office yesterday afternoon.

Rang up anyway to ask if this was normal. Very helpful chap ensured me that this is normal procedure and that I can still collect my passport on Thursday.

Relief. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just rang the Passport office.

I had gotten my birth cert etc back in the post when I came back from the passport office yesterday afternoon.

Rang up anyway to ask if this was normal. Very helpful chap ensured me that this is normal procedure and that I can still collect my passport on Thursday.

Relief. :D

make sure u don't lose the new one when u get it, or you'll be in deep poopoo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I filled in the visa payment part of the form and only realised after that I didn't need to as I'm applying through Passport Express.
    Do I have to fill in new form? Raging, I tried to be so careful filling it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

lubie76 wrote: »
    I filled in the visa payment part of the form and only realised after that I didn't need to as I'm applying through Passport Express.

No just go over the number with a pen and leave the rest as is and you'll be fine.

lubie76 wrote: »

I made this mistake too and the lad in the Post Office just scribbled that section out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 roc2009

roc2009 wrote: »
    Just back from the pasport office - just over 2hrs waiting time (in for 1045am) and only 5mins to register details. Our passports will be ready for collection on the 12th. Staff were really helpful - guy at ticket machine letting people know what the waiting time will be so they can go off and come back nearer their number!

Called in to collect passports today - around 3pm. Only waiting 5mins max to collect.

quick tip: Passports come in batches from Balbriggan and the last batch arrives in at 1530pm (there was a lot of people waiting on last batch) so an idea if collecting passports dont come in until 1530pm in case your in the last batch.

Plus remember to bring ID with you when collecting passports (Alot of applicants didnt have any on them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Also there is a part on his section that says "Do not stamp the back of the photograph" and he has stamped both. If I send this form and those photos away are they likely to be rejected?

+1.

Anyone know whether this is an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Also there is a part on his section that says "Do not stamp the back of the photograph" and he has stamped both. If I send this form and those photos away are they likely to be rejected?

+1.

Anyone know whether this is an issue?

Its not an issue, the forms are out of date. The Garda was right to stamp them, just make sure you have two stamped and two free from ink and any other damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Hey, hoping you can help me, my parents have asked myself and daughter to join them on holidays in the last week of this month, they haven't booked them yet though. my daughters passport is out of date as i didnt bother renewing when i didnt plan on traveling. what would be the quickest way of obtaining a new one without proof of travel? because they will not be able to book the holiday until sisters CAO results are out :rolleyes: :pac:

is it possible to go in to the office and queue for a quicker applicaion? i apologise if the answer is in the thread already but im looking for an answer asap and couldn't find a specific answer applicable to nowadays (backlog) through googling. or should i just try book a cheap flight as proof of travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Its not an issue, the forms are out of date. The Garda was right to stamp them, just make sure you have two stamped and two free from ink and any other damage

The garda stamped two, and signed the other two. So two of them aren't free from ink?

• Advertisement

CK2010 wrote: »
    Hey, hoping you can help me, my parents have asked myself and daughter to join them on holidays in the last week of this month, they haven't booked them yet though. my daughters passport is out of date as i didnt bother renewing when i didnt plan on traveling. what would be the quickest way of obtaining a new one without proof of travel? because they will not be able to book the holiday until sisters CAO results are out :rolleyes: :pac:

is it possible to go in to the office and queue for a quicker applicaion? i apologise if the answer is in the thread already but im looking for an answer asap and couldn't find a specific answer applicable to nowadays (backlog) through googling. or should i just try book a cheap flight as proof of travel?

They'll ask for proof of travel - and best bet would be to go & queue (travelling tomorrow and kids passport out of date) learned the hardway. Oh and if your child is over 18 a new set of rules apply...

They'll ask for proof of travel - and best bet would be to go & queue (travelling tomorrow and kids passport out of date) learned the hardway. Oh and if your child is over 18 a new set of rules apply...

thanks for the reply.
    i just went the express route and what happens happens.
    it was weird though, the woman in post office insisted i send my own passport with my daughters (age 4) application. apparently it said on the form that i needed to, but i was under the impression that it was only needed at the garda station stage?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Can anyone tell me if the passport number you get is the same one for life if you get a new one, or a different number each time?

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    mmcn90 wrote: »

The garda stamped two, and signed the other two. So two of them aren't free from ink?

I wouldnt worry too much, once you cant see the ink on thefront of the photo its ok

bret69 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the passport number you get is the same one for life if you get a new one, or a different number each time?

Different each time

thanks for the reply.
    it was weird though, the woman in post office insisted i send my own passport with my daughters (age 4) application. apparently it said on the form that i needed to, but i was under the impression that it was only needed at the garda station stage?? :confused:

Has she had a previous Passport? If not, your passport is required to prove her citizenship as she was bornafter January 1st 2005.

thanks for the reply.

Yes your passport or your own birthcert is needed with your daughters application.

Fingers crossed you get it back in time for your holidays!

Notice: w.e.f. 12th August 2011. Please note that due to a temporary surge in application numbers, the current processing time for Passport Express applications is 14 – 15 working days up until and including 17th August 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Applied for a passport in July for child between 3 and under 18 years, see that my CC was debited €41.50, I checked the fees page on passport.ie and saw that by ordinary post it is €41.50 yet had I went via passport express I would have paid €8.50 plus €26.50 - Total €35.00 and I would have it within 10 days !

Have I this correct? It's cheaper and faster to do it via the express service in the post office over snail mail ?

I thought it would be the complete opposite because I was in no rush for it I thought the cheapest way would be via snail mail.

Surely not:confused: Am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope, passport express is the cheapest way. Snail mail costs the same as a personal application at the passport offices. It is an option that should be abolished imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

Can anyone shed some light as to whether they are making the new revised 14 – 15 days turnaround, or is that just pie in the sky?

Has anyone applied in the last month and received their passport on time as per above?

• Advertisement

Yes your passport or your own birthcert is needed with your daughters application.

Fingers crossed you get it back in time for your holidays!

Notice: w.e.f. 12th August 2011. Please note that due to a temporary surge in application numbers, the current processing time for Passport Express applications is 14 – 15 working days up until and including 17th August 2011.

regardless of the fact she already has one?

yeh i saw that on the site but it was the only realistic option apart from booking flights to get an emergency one and i dont have enough money for that! i doubt i will get it tbh but its worth a try! this time last week there was no chance of a holiday so at least now ive a tiny chance! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nope, passport express is the cheapest way. Snail mail costs the same as a personal application at the passport offices. It is an option that should be abolished imho.

Typical bloody Ireland. You get your passport faster AND cheaper that way ! I just automatically assumed that it would of course be cheaper if one wasn't in a rush for it :mad::mad: Is that not logical? Anyhow nothing surprises me anymore in this country.

I do agree it should be abolished (I also agree that all passports can and should be turned around within 10 days).
    Can anyone shed some light as to whether they are making the new revised 14 – 15 days turnaround, or is that just pie in the sky?

Has anyone applied in the last month and received their passport on time as per above?

My application was received on July 21st and they are still telling me the following via the passport tracking

Issue Date:25/08/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 4-5 working days, which you should add to this date)

Had I sent it via passport express it would have cost me less and I would surely have had it by now. Grrrrr:mad::mad:

I see the opening hours are 09:30 - 16:30. Does anyone know if they close for lunch?

Also I'm picking up my printed passport. Am I likely to be waiting long? I'm hoping to do it on my lunch hour.

Thanks!

bret69 wrote: »
    I see the opening hours are 09:30 - 16:30. Does anyone know if they close for lunch?

Also I'm picking up my printed passport. Am I likely to be waiting long? I'm hoping to do it on my lunch hour.

Thanks!

Nope they don't. I'm assuming you're talking about the one for Dublin.

EDIT: When I picked mine up last week, I was waiting max 10 mins.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nope they don't. I'm assuming you're talking about the one for Dublin.

Yeah the one in Dublin, cheers!

Any idea how long I can expect to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey, I'm plannning to go away in early September and need a passport urgently

I haven't purchased a ticket as of yet, but the date is fixed.. I am hesistant in the purchasing of the ticket as if I don't get the passport on time, I will be stuck of the tickets ( I'm sure you can change it, but it'sm like 150 euro or something to change them)

Just wondering if I write in to the passport office will they consider my application, or do they insist on tickts before such a request will be taken into consideration?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

you would be better off if you could get to the passport office in person to hand in your application, as then it should only take 10 working days, regardless of when you are travelling, at least that's what they told me in the cork office, and I received mine in 9 working days.
    The girl working there also said that they only thing they can't really do nowadays is have a passport read for someone travelling the next day, but not sure about that one.
    All in all if you can, get to one of the offices, if not give them a ring, but be prepared to be patient if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Not sure if this is the correct section or not but just looking to see how recent does your passport have to be to gain entry to America, think it is after 2005?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So long as it is in date it will be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not entirely correct but once your passport is Machine Readable you should be okay:
    US CBP wrote:
    Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after 10/26/06: Passports must also have integrated chips with information from the data page.
    Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended between 10/26/05 and 10/25/06: passports must have digital photographs printed on the data page or integrated chips with information from the data page.
    Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended before 10/26/05: no further requirements.

From here:http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/faq_vwp.xml

So, once it has text like that highlighted in the pic, you should be okay.
    information_2.jpg

Oh yeah, don't forget to get your ESTA!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement