Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

From what I understand the passport has to be issued after 2005, basically the ones before that were machine readable but not what the Americans are looking for.

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They will accept the standard machine readable ones issued prior to 2005 provided they are in date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭techdiver

vicwatson wrote: »
    My application was received on July 21st and they are still telling me the following via the passport tracking

Issue Date:25/08/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 4-5 working days, which you should add to this date)

Had I sent it via passport express it would have cost me less and I would surely have had it by now. Grrrrr:mad::mad:

I sent mine on Friday 29th of July and it was registered on Tuesday 2nd of August. It stayed in "Registered" state until this Wednesday when it went straight to "Approved" and then by Wednesday night it had been posted. I received it in the post yesterday. So all in all it was processed and received within 13 working days, not too bad.

I did send an email on Monday to ask about it when it was still in received status, but I got no response, but 2 days later it had been processed. Don't know whether it was a coincidence or not.

techdiver wrote: »
    I sent mine on Friday 29th of July and it was registered on Tuesday 2nd of August. It stayed in "Registered" state until this Wednesday when it went straight to "Approved" and then by Wednesday night it had been posted. I received it in the post yesterday. So all in all it was processed and received within 13 working days, not too bad.

I did send an email on Monday to ask about it when it was still in received status, but I got no response, but 2 days later it had been processed. Don't know whether it was a coincidence or not.

The only stages you see on that are Registered, Approved and Ready for collection/posted.

The reason it would go so quickly from registered-approved is that it was probably only done that day. If they have an issue sate of today work would only have started on it by Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Hey guys,

I'm currently in a south american country, one that has no Irish embassy or consular assistance. Today I got mugged, took the lot, including my passport. Does anyone know how emergency passports work? without an irish embassy, is there any way I could get something to allow me travel home in 10 days when my flight leaves? I'm going to ring British embassy first thing in the morning, and Dept of Foreign Affairs tomorrow morning Irish time, but any comments would be greatly appreciated and might help me freaking out completely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why is the country you are in a secret? if you tell us perhaps we can check details for you for the closest country to you with an Irish consular office.

Jicked wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in a south american country, one that has no Irish embassy or consular assistance. Today I got mugged, took the lot, including my passport. Does anyone know how emergency passports work? without an irish embassy, is there any way I could get something to allow me travel home in 10 days when my flight leaves? I'm going to ring British embassy first thing in the morning, and Dept of Foreign Affairs tomorrow morning Irish time, but any comments would be greatly appreciated and might help me freaking out completely!

The chances are there is a Hon Con or someone there that can do an ETC for you to travel.

As was said, what country is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

You will have to contact an Irish Embassy or Consulate, as without a document you will not be allowed to cross any border.

You can find contact details of all Embassies and Consulates here: http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=285

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

..otherwise, I believe the British authorities will be able to provide you with some level of assistance. I'm not sure they can issue a temporary travel document though, unless you also hold a form of British nationality.

Any EU mission can issue an Irish citizen with an ETD where no Irish mission exists.

• Advertisement

Any EU mission can issue an Irish citizen with an ETD where no Irish mission exists.

In extreme circumstances, be very surprised if they issued one in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭billyhead

Quick question,

I was just checking ths atus of my passport application online thier and it states that it has been rejected with a letter being send to me outlining the reasons why. My old passport was expired prior to applying for a new one and I sned off the application via passport express. The only thing is that when the passport expired I removed my photo from the passport and submitted a new application with the old passport and photo removed with 4 new photos 2 of which were stamped by a Garda. I presume this is the erason it has been rejected. What ahappens now. Am I refunded the fee I paid. Or would anyone know how I go about getting an up to date passport

billyhead wrote: »
    Quick question,

I was just checking ths atus of my passport application online thier and it states that it has been rejected with a letter being send to me outlining the reasons why. My old passport was expired prior to applying for a new one and I sned off the application via passport express. The only thing is that when the passport expired I removed my photo from the passport and submitted a new application with the old passport and photo removed with 4 new photos 2 of which were stamped by a Garda. I presume this is the erason it has been rejected. What ahappens now. Am I refunded the fee I paid. Or would anyone know how I go about getting an up to date passport

No refund. It will outline what you have to do to re-apply.

You would be refused if you took your old picture off.

You will more than likely have to re-apply as if it is your 1st application with birth cert etc accompanying application.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 _electrolyte

Hi All,

Just been to the passport office this morning - I'm travelling mid Sept and left it a bit late so was worried about having my passport back on time.

All credit to passport office staff they handed out numbers to people waiting at 09:00 and let them in to sit in the waiting area in the office - official opening time is 09:30.

The supervisor said that Passport Express service is currently back on track to anyone travelling after first week in Sept should use this. I had him check my application form, photos, etc and went to nearest post office and paid my €88.50 and sent off all docs with this. I'm hoping to have it by Tuesday 6th Sept - I'll post on here and let you know how I get on.

Just a few things:

- fastest turnaround for a renewal (not a first time or lost or stolen passport) is 3 working days. He advised the earliest any applications directly to the office today would be back was Thursday evening.
    - first time applications and lost or stolen, take a minimum 10 working days and may need additional documentation
    - the 3 day turnaround is subject to an extra fee
    - he said submitting to the public counter is subject to 20 working days and dearer than passport express.

So, I've got my online tracking number and hoping for a speedy turnaround!

Also, full credit to the Passport Office staff (incl reception/security staff) who I met with. All very pleasant and helpful and explained things clearly.

It is an offence under the passports act to interfere with a passport expired or not. It remains government property even after it has expired.

I foresee a visit to a Garda Station for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 _electrolyte

Hi All,

Just been to the passport office this morning - I'm travelling mid Sept and left it a bit late so was worried about having my passport back on time.

All credit to passport office staff they handed out numbers to people waiting at 09:00 and let them in to sit in the waiting area in the office - official opening time is 09:30.

The supervisor said that Passport Express service is currently back on track to anyone travelling after first week in Sept should use this. I had him check my application form, photos, etc and went to nearest post office and paid my €88.50 and sent off all docs with this. I'm hoping to have it by Tuesday 6th Sept - I'll post on here and let you know how I get on.

Just a few things:

- fastest turnaround for a renewal (not a first time or lost or stolen passport) is 3 working days. He advised the earliest any applications directly to the office today would be back was Thursday evening.
    - first time applications and lost or stolen, take a minimum 10 working days and may need additional documentation
    - the 3 day turnaround is subject to an extra fee
    - he said submitting to the public counter is subject to 20 working days and dearer than passport express.

So, I've got my online tracking number and hoping for a speedy turnaround!

Also, full credit to the Passport Office staff (incl reception/security staff) who I met with. All very pleasant and helpful and explained things clearly.

I would also add to this - DON'T do what I did and leave it late and then stress yourself out unnecessarily - get your passport application in the post today! :D

It is an offence under the passports act to interfere with a passport expired or not. It remains government property even after it has expired.

I foresee a visit to a Garda Station for you.[/QUOTE

I wasn't aware that removing the old photo would be an offence. Also I had to bring it to the Garda station with me when I was getting the 2 photos signed and he never said there would be problems with it.

You will now have to go back and complete a statement of loss/damage and be subject to the whole new application procedure.

The Gardaí will only act if someone in the passport office makes a complaint.

Just don't interfere with government documents in future.

You will now have to go back and complete a statement of loss/damage and be subject to the whole new application procedure.

The Gardaí will only act if someone in the passport office makes a complaint.

Just don't interfere with government documents in future.

The gaurd who signed and stamped the form already maked on it that it was damaged. i would have presumed this would have sufficed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The gaurd who signed and stamped the form already maked on it that it was damaged. i would have presumed this would have sufficed

But which part on the form did you fill out?

Lost/Damaged is a different kind of application to a renewal.

Same form, different section.

But which part on the form did you fill out?

Lost/Damaged is a different kind of application to a renewal.

Same form, different section.

New/Renewal form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

New/Renewal form

As Our Man in Havana pointed out that's the problem. You'll probably be instructed to do as he outlined above.

I foresee a visit to a Garda Station for you.[/QUOTE

I wasn't aware that removing the old photo would be an offence. Also I had to bring it to the Garda station with me when I was getting the 2 photos signed and he never said there would be problems with it.

In the passport itself it has notes, stating:
    "This passport must not be altered in any way except by an authorised person. Any unauthorised alteration or mutilation will render it invalid."
    and
    "This passport remains the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ireland."

As it is a document proving Photo ID, the photograph is an integral part of a passport. Fraudsters have done the "photo-switch" trick to try and use a passport, hence photographs are now done digitally.

You would be considered as a first time applicant, so would need a lot of documentation to prove your eligibility for an Irish passport. The letter you have received should outline the exact details.

Malee wrote: »

In the passport itself it has notes, stating:
    "This passport must not be altered in any way except by an authorised person. Any unauthorised alteration or mutilation will render it invalid."
    and
    "This passport remains the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ireland."

As it is a document proving Photo ID, the photograph is an integral part of a passport. Fraudsters have done the "photo-switch" trick to try and use a passport, hence photographs are now done digitally.

You would be considered as a first time applicant, so would need a lot of documentation to prove your eligibility for an Irish passport. The letter you have received should outline the exact details.

I didn't read the small print and I removed the photo after it had expired thus it would have been no use to anyone anyway

Oh really?

The lads in the passport office would disagree with you there.

I didn't read the small print and I removed the photo after it had expired thus it would have been no use to anyone anyway

:confused:

How could they tell your picture was always on it? So many different things could have gone on with it if you removed the picture!!

AGC wrote: »
    :confused:

How could they tell your picture was always on it? So many different things could have gone on with it if you removed the picture!!

Yeh I relise now. I got the letter when I got home from work and I need to submit a birth cert, Copy of drivers licence, payslip and prove of address i.e utility bill aswell as a reason as to why I took the photo off it. I know in future not to remove it:o

Whilst it is uncancelled you cannot mutilate it or otherwise damage it.

• Advertisement

Yeh I relise now. I got the letter when I got home from work and I need to submit a birth cert, Copy of drivers licence, payslip and prove of address i.e utility bill aswell as a reason as to why I took the photo off it. I know in future not to remove it:o

After the passport office has cancelled your passport and you have your new passport in your hand you can basically do with the old one whatever you like.

But evenso it is better to keep it as it is, as it can be used for proof of citizenship if you were to lose your new passport and have to re-apply, instead of a birth cert.
    Although this is mainly of benefit for people who were not born in Ireland: it will save them the hassle of getting all relevant documents to prove their citizenship again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement