Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for all the info folks. I feel like an idiot now. Will know in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info folks. I feel like an idiot now. Will know in future.

Can I just ask... why did you remove it?

Can I just ask... why did you remove it?

I just did because it was a photo that was more then 10 years old and the passport had expired over a year ago when I removed it and I did not know that you need to send your old passprt into the passport office when you need a current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Does anyone know how quickly i can get a passport? i've got my hols starting in 9 days (nothing booked yet)
    and my passport was stolen a few weeks ago. Is it possible to get it in under 2 weeks if you go down to the
    office with travel docs and can you collect from there as well? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

thee glitz wrote: »
    Does anyone know how quickly i can get a passport? i've got my hols starting in 9 days (nothing booked yet)
    and my passport was stolen a few weeks ago. Is it possible to get it in under 2 weeks if you go down to the

Did you report the theft of the passport at the time to the Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not if your passport is lost or stolen. You will have to go thru extensive checks which can take 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Did you report the theft of the passport at the time to the Garda?

I reported it to the met police and they gave me a letter with a crime reference
    number on it so that I could get my flight back (luckily, I booked aer lingus).
    I also reported it to the embassy in london who took my details and said it was fine
    and that aer lingus would be reasonable.

edit: I also had a laser colour scan of it. Do you think aer lingus would fly me to the UK with that and a met police letter?

Just wondering. I send off the documents requested and note as to why I removed the picture to the Balbriggan office yesterday. How long if anyone knows would it take to issue me with my new passport due to the fact I have a trip to the UK booked in early September. Do you think they will put my application to the back of the queue?

You need to track it again online.i would thin it would go to the back again.

You need to track it again online.i would thin it would go to the back again.

Thanks for the info. I have the trip booked for 3 days from Sept 12th so fingers crossed it arrives by then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theletterman

Hey all,
    I am in a bit of a dilema over here in oz, i am currently residing here illegally (visa has expired) and i have lost my passport, Now i have been in contact with the irish embassy and they have sent me the forms, on a certain section of the application form for lost passports it says you must get it signed by a police office. Is there a chance i will be held if i enter a police station asking them to sign my passport aplication, i mean all they have to do is run my name threw their system and im caught. I have been without a passport now for a few months and to be honest im sick of it, if i get caught in the morning by immigration they will hold me till a passport can be arranged which could take weeks. Really don't like the sounds of that to be honest
    Thanks in advance for any help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hey all,
    I am in a bit of a dilema over here in oz, i am currently residing here illegally (visa has expired) and i have lost my passport, Now i have been in contact with the irish embassy and they have sent me the forms, on a certain section of the application form for lost passports it says you must get it signed by a police office. Is there a chance i will be held if i enter a police station asking them to sign my passport aplication, i mean all they have to do is run my name threw their system and im caught. I have been without a passport now for a few months and to be honest im sick of it, if i get caught in the morning by immigration they will hold me till a passport can be arranged which could take weeks. Really don't like the sounds of that to be honest

You would get better answers by asking this question on a forum that deals with Australian immigration, since your real query is related to that and not to Irish passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Just wondering. I send off the documents requested and note as to why I removed the picture to the Balbriggan office yesterday. How long if anyone knows would it take to issue me with my new passport due to the fact I have a trip to the UK booked in early September. Do you think they will put my application to the back of the queue?

If you used the white freepost envelope that was provided it will be fast-tracked. Appx 5 working days. If everything is in order off course!

If you're not flying with Ryanair then you don't need a passport to go to the UK.

Hey all,
    If you turn up at a police station you will be held and transferred to an immigration detention centre until you can be deported.

You really are between a rock and a hard place. I would ask an Aussie Lawyer before you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theletterman

If you turn up at a police station you will be held and transferred to an immigration detention centre until you can be deported.

You really are between a rock and a hard place. I would ask an Aussie Lawyer before you decide.

Cheers,
    What i think i will do is turn up at the irish embassy 48 hrs before my flight and demand an emergency passport. Pity i was really looking forward to a cheeky thailand trip on the way home

Wise move.

Malee wrote: »
    If you used the white freepost envelope that was provided it will be fast-tracked. Appx 5 working days. If everything is in order off course!

Thanks Malee,

Thats exactly what I did.

If you cannot return your old passport, then you would need to provide the passport office with your original long form birth certificate (no copy) or an older cancelled passport to prove your citizenship, and then 1) another photo ID (driving licence, work ID), 2) proof of name (bank statement, wage slip) and 3) proof of address (utility bill). Then have a garda sign Section 6 on the application form (apart from filling out the rest of the form) which covers the loss of your passport.

To get a passport within 10 days is never guaranteed, it is best to get your new passport well in time before you travel.
    But if you go into the office someone will at least check your application so you know everything is in order (so no extra delays).

Some ferrys or airlines let you travel to the UK on a driving licence, I would suggest to check with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 goonie76

I applied of my passport (first time) this week, i went the passport office in Dublin and applied in person. They checked all my documents and took photocopy for some of the documents and returned me the original. I thought applying in person will be faster then Passport Express...

Does anyone had recently applied for passport in person can share there experience on time line will be helpful.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Why did you think it would be faster? When did they say you will have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 goonie76

The girl in the counter said that it will be middle of September.

So what are my chances of getting earlier say 1st week or 2nd week of September ?

You should have asked them that.

goonie76 wrote: »
    I applied of my passport (first time) this week, i went the passport office in Dublin and applied in person. They checked all my documents and took photocopy for some of the documents and returned me the original. I thought applying in person will be faster then Passport Express...

Does anyone had recently applied for passport in person can share there experience on time line will be helpful.

Thanks

The only extra you get from going in in person is that someone checks your documents so you will definitely have no extra delay. Besides that you will have to queue up and pay more, and you will get the same turn-around.

Considering the summer season is coming to an end and it will be less busy you MAY get it quicker. But don't count on it, though...

If you have flights booked you could contact them and they MAY expedite your passport before you travel, if you can show them proof that you have tickets or confirmation e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bigman3456

Hello. I Applied For My Passport On The 21st Of June. After Weeks Of Waiting I Got Sick Of It And I Decided To Get In Contact With Them To See Where It Was. Finally On The The 25th August I Had To Go Up To Dublin While I Live In Galway To Pick Up The Passport. I Feel Myself That Its A Joke. Does Anyone Else Have This Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

While I understand your frustration the staff in there do the best they can. They're also having to deal with all uk applications too as the London passport lost most of their staff and has had to downsize.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Bigman3456 wrote: »
    Hello. I Applied For My Passport On The 21st Of June. After Weeks Of Waiting I Got Sick Of It And I Decided To Get In Contact With Them To See Where It Was. Finally On The The 25th August I Had To Go Up To Dublin While I Live In Galway To Pick Up The Passport. I Feel Myself That Its A Joke. Does Anyone Else Have This Problem.

Why did you submit it by Ordinary Post then and why did you HAVE TO go to Dublin to collect it, you could have received it by post.

Bigman3456 wrote: »

I can never understand why some people type the first letter of every single word with a capital. It Must Be So Uncomfortable.

They must speak like William Shatner. Every word is it's own sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

goonie76 wrote: »
    The girl in the counter said that it will be middle of September.

So what are my chances of getting earlier say 1st week or 2nd week of September ?

Er, from the counter it is 10 working days (or less) guaranteed, provided that everything is in order. If it is a citizenship request it takes longer due to (a) the background checks and (b) the recent influx of naturalizations.

Every counter application is given a receipt with a collection date on it unless (a) you have lost more than 2 passports or (b) it is a citizenship request, in which case you need to track it online. You were also given a receipt. What is your date for postage/collection? Nobody at the counter says "middle of X month" either. There are set issue dates for all applications at the counter and these change every day according to the ten working day policy (or less if travelling) or more, if your application is unusual for the reasons stated above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement