Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Malee wrote: »
    The only extra you get from going in in person is that someone checks your documents so you will definitely have no extra delay. Besides that you will have to queue up and pay more, and you will get the same turn-around.

Considering the summer season is coming to an end and it will be less busy you MAY get it quicker. But don't count on it, though...

If you have flights booked you could contact them and they MAY expedite your passport before you travel, if you can show them proof that you have tickets or confirmation e-mail.

Documents are only skimmed at the counter. They are checked by a member of the checking team upstairs and are often found to have problems at that stage of development so don't imagine that everything is perfect just because you went in at the counter.

If you have proof of travel, you can get your passport within three working days, if this proof is presented at the time of application, not post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 goonie76

I have no date specified on the receipt and there is a tick mark beside the post option that's it.

On the tracking website it says

Status:Application No. xxxxxxxxxx. Received on 24/08/2011 and has been registered.

Issue Date:07/09/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 4-5 working days, which you should add to this date)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 _electrolyte

Er, from the counter it is 10 working days (or less) guaranteed, provided that everything is in order. If it is a citizenship request it takes longer due to (a) the background checks and (b) the recent influx of naturalizations.

Every counter application is given a receipt with a collection date on it unless (a) you have lost more than 2 passports or (b) it is a citizenship request, in which case you need to track it online. You were also given a receipt. What is your date for postage/collection? Nobody at the counter says "middle of X month" either. There are set issue dates for all applications at the counter and these change every day according to the ten working day policy (or less if travelling) or more, if your application is unusual for the reasons stated above.

I don't know where you're getting your information but I was in the Passport Office in Molesworth St two weeks ago and was told that the Passport Express service *should* take 10 Working Days but that going to the counter could take up to 20 days, except if you have proof of travel and are going to pay the extra fee for the 3 day service.I'm hoping to have mine by 06/09 but according to the online tracker it's still only been registred and not at the checking stage yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

My 3 year old nephew got a hold of my passport and drew with black marker on pages 6 and 7, they are 2 pages that are stamped, im worried this wont be accepeted and its too late to apply for a new passport, i travel in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Backtomono74

Hi all, would really appreciate some advice.

Have booked flights to Turkey for a holiday from 12th September only to find yesterday that passport is a month out of date. Live in Manchester, UK.
    Rang London embassy this morning who said that urgent passports at the embassy are currently only being given for "humanitarian" reasons i.e. death of a family member etc.

Any other routes or options ? I am thinking about getting an early ferry to Dublin this friday and go to the passport office in Dublin with proof of tickets and request a three day urgent passport. Would still be cutting it fine as it would need to be posted back to UK and this might just be an expensive waste of time.
    Could go for a UK passport through english mother but they dont do fast track for first time applications and really dont want to get a Brit passport.
    Anyone had a similair experience with the london embassy and what option ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

My 3 year old nephew got a hold of my passport and drew with black marker on pages 6 and 7, they are 2 pages that are stamped, im worried this wont be accepeted and its too late to apply for a new passport, i travel in 2 weeks

Shouldn't be a problem. If you are travelling to a country where you need a Visa or stamp once there is a clear page it will be fine.

If it's Portugal or Spain or somewhere they won't even look.

Er, from the counter it is 10 working days (or less) guaranteed, provided that everything is in order. If it is a citizenship request it takes longer due to (a) the background checks and (b) the recent influx of naturalizations.

Every counter application is given a receipt with a collection date on it unless (a) you have lost more than 2 passports or (b) it is a citizenship request, in which case you need to track it online. You were also given a receipt. What is your date for postage/collection? Nobody at the counter says "middle of X month" either. There are set issue dates for all applications at the counter and these change every day according to the ten working day policy (or less if travelling) or more, if your application is unusual for the reasons stated above.

The quickest way to get a passport os passport express. Counter applications take a lot longer.

Also the passport office in Dublin has nothing to do with citizenship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

AGC wrote: »
    Also the passport office in Dublin has nothing to do with citizenship

I think (s)he means the issuing of passports to people who have recently becoming Irish nationals takes longer than it would for someone born here due to the extra work involved with the checking etc.

Passport express is indeed quicker than counter applications unless they're urgent and accompanied by proof of travel and the extra fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

This is untrue. Sigh. Counter applications offer a 10 working day service without exception.

Passport Express takes 10 working days, except when there is a delay, which there currently is, of 4-5 working days.

Your wrong, what if you have lost more than 2 passport or 1st time applicant with naturalisation...........still 10 days without exception. Don't quote if you can't get facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

There is a lot of misinformation in the other passport thread so I thought I would put this up to help travellers looking for new passports. If mods wish to merge it, feel free.

This information is correct as of this date but of course passport office guidelines do change over time. This information is coming from someone who worked in all areas of the passport office until recently.

These guidelines are assuming that you have filled out your application form in full and had it witnessed. Also you need to submit 4 passport photos, 2 signed. Make sure your photos are true colour or black and white - beware of photos that are too light or too dark, have hot spots or obvious over-exposure or where the eyes aren't visible. The face should take up 75% of the photo. No hairbands and either remove glasses or ensure there is no glare. Booths usually give a better result than the chemist.

Ways to get a passport:

1. Present to the passport office with your previous passport. Your new passport will be issued in 10 working days, provided there are no problems with your application.

Cost is €95 for an adult, €41.50 for a child over 3 and €31 for an infant.

If you need it sooner, and have proof of travel, it can be issued in 3 working days. If it is a dire emergency (death or illness) a temporary passport can be issued at the discretion of the office. Passports issued this quickly incur a fee: €55 for an adult and €30 for a child.

2. Post it by ordinary post. This has no priority and can therefore take months. Prices as above.

3. Send it by Passport Express. Here you must pay for an envelope which costs €8.50 (I am unsure as to whether this is sufficient for all linked applications or if you have to purchase a separate envelope for each one). The cost of applications in this case is €80 for an adult, €26 for a child over 3 and €16 for an infant. This is a 10 working day postal service but at peak times of the year it can take 15-20 working days so if you need it urgently, the counter is your best bet.

Children:

For a child you will require (a) their previous passport if they have one and (b) their long form birth cert. You must always submit a birth cert for an under 18 even if they have a previous passport.

Mothers should also submit marriage certs where relevant (especially important if Mum's name is different on the birth cert to now).

If you are the sole guardian of the child you must issue a sole guardian affidavit. If you are not sole guardian but cannot contact the other parent then a court order must be presented dispensing with the consent of the other parent. If you are sole guardian and your spouse is deceased then you must present a death cert along with the sole guardian affidavit.

Lost passports:

If you have lost your passport, you will need to apply with:

(a) Long form birth cert
    (b) Proof of address x2
    (c) Photo ID

If you have lost more than one passport, your new passport may be restricted to 2 years and you may not be given it on time for travel. You may also be asked to present yourself to the fraud department of the office.

Citizenship

Citizenship cases are dealt with through the Department of Justice. If you receive notice of naturalization you can apply to the Passport Office for your Irish passport in any of the ways listed above. You will need to enclose:

(a) Your naturalization cert
    (b) Original birth cert, or proof that you have been unable to get this, with a birth affidavit
    (c) Proof of address
    (d) If you have it, the letter from the Department of Justice accompanying the naturalization cert (the new non-laminated naturalization certs do not always come with this)
    (e) Photo ID, such as passport of home country or driving licence
    (f) Marriage cert, if relevant

The costs are as above. These passports are currently being issued in 20 working days but this may reduce as pressure on the office reduces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Okay everyone, take a deep breath....

Aaaaaand exhale.

Now. Can everyone just chill out please. No point entering into a debate, this thread is for Q&A. Debating points or being a smart-arse doesn't help anyone.

@Nuero-Praxis

I clearly picked you up wrong on the citizenship, I was under the impression you were saying the passport office deals with it.

To get a passport in the quickest turn around time at normal cost is passport express, as DFA have advertised for months.

If you are looking for one at extra cost, yes, you are right, counter applications are the quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Have booked flights to Turkey for a holiday from 12th September only to find yesterday that passport is a month out of date. Live in Manchester, UK.
    Rang London embassy this morning who said that urgent passports at the embassy are currently only being given for "humanitarian" reasons i.e. death of a family member etc.

Any other routes or options ? I am thinking about getting an early ferry to Dublin this friday and go to the passport office in Dublin with proof of tickets and request a three day urgent passport. Would still be cutting it fine as it would need to be posted back to UK and this might just be an expensive waste of time.
    Could go for a UK passport through english mother but they dont do fast track for first time applications and really dont want to get a Brit passport.

I think you don't have a hell of a lot of options...
    Probably going to Dublin seems to be your best bet, but even then you won't have a guarantee. But at least a chance...

@Nuero-Praxis

I clearly picked you up wrong on the citizenship, I was under the impression you were saying the passport office deals with it.

To get a passport in the quickest turn around time at normal cost is passport express, as DFA have advertised for months.

If you are looking for one at extra cost, yes, you are right, counter applications are the quickest.

Yes listen to the Dept involved and not some one who did a few weeks work in the area.

Yes listen to the Dept involved and not some one who did a few weeks work in the area.

I have been working in the said Department for 11 years

I have been working in the said Department for 11 years

Sorry to hear that;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

You have to be resident in Ireland to have your application processed there..they wil not post a passport from Ireland to the UK for you.

If I were you I'd get your application together today and go to the Passport office in London with your proof of travel tomorrow. Hope to god the person on the counter is sympathetic and you may get it in time. There are no other options open to you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

hey i am traveling on the 11th october

i have lost my passport for the first time

i would like to know if i post my application with passport express will i have it on time

or am i better off traveling from limerick to cork and going to the counter myself ?

also on a side note the name i wish to appear on my passport is different from the first name on my birth cert the name i wish to use is my second name which is on my birth cert thats the way my old one was too i just want to know will this cause any confusion ?

thanks for your help in advance

Craigels wrote: »
    hey i am traveling on the 11th october

i have lost my passport for the first time

i would like to know if i post my application with passport express will i have it on time

or am i better off traveling from limerick to cork and going to the counter myself ?

also on a side note the name i wish to appear on my passport is different from the first name on my birth cert the name i wish to use is my second name which is on my birth cert thats the way my old one was too i just want to know will this cause any confusion ?

thanks for your help in advance

Timewise you should be fine with Passport Express: summerseason has ended, the last backlogs are just about cleared.

You would need to have Section 6 on the form signed, additional to the rest, and post in 4 photographs (2 witnessed), your original long form birth cert (or an old cancelled passport), proof of address (utility bill), photo ID (driving licence or work ID) and two proofs of use for your name the way you want to have it on your passport; from separate sources; dating back a minimum of two years. (For example wage slips, utility bills, driving licence, school reports, letter from GP, bank statements, etc etc).

Dont worry about confusion: if you have the documents to back it all up you will get what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spanky1991

Re:Emergency Passports

Just thought id share my experience with people who might be in the same predicament as I was. I foolishly noticed my passport was expired a week before I flew on holidays. I was due to fly out on Friday the 26th of August and went to the passport office in Cork Monday the 22nd. I had no problems getting my passport in the time period required. Staff were very helpful.

All you need to bring with you is:
    1. Passport Form filled out
    2. 4 Photos stamped by Gardai
    3. Birth Cert
    4. At least 1 Form of photo ID (student card accepted)
    5. At least 1 form of ID (bank card etc.)
    6. Proof of flights
    7. Advice you to bring proof of address although I didnt need it
    8. €150

Think thats all I needed anyway.

Anyway the passport was ready for the thursday so took 3 days. And the holiday was the best holiday ever. :) Hope this may help someone in the same position I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

Hi all, my passport is up for renewal in 6 months' time, it's going to be my first adult passport- turned 18 last summer.
    Because 10 years is a long time, and I hope to work/live abroad, I'd like to add my middle name [much easier to pronounce than Niamh! :pac: ].
    I know my Dad changed his whole name [ie. Charles to Charlie], but I'm a bit terrified to ask how- last time I approached the subject, he freaked: I think he thought I wanted to go deed poll and drop the Niamh forever...!
    Is it possible to add the middle name? It's on my original birth cert; only reason I don't have it on my current passport is because I was an arrogant teen at the time and didn't want to... :rolleyes:

niamhzie wrote: »
    Hi all, my passport is up for renewal in 6 months' time, it's going to be my first adult passport- turned 18 last summer.
    Because 10 years is a long time, and I hope to work/live abroad, I'd like to add my middle name [much easier to pronounce than Niamh! :pac: ].
    I know my Dad changed his whole name [ie. Charles to Charlie], but I'm a bit terrified to ask how- last time I approached the subject, he freaked: I think he thought I wanted to go deed poll and drop the Niamh forever...!
    Is it possible to add the middle name? It's on my original birth cert; only reason I don't have it on my current passport is because I was an arrogant teen at the time and didn't want to... :rolleyes:

If it's on your birth cert there shouldnt be a problem, as long as your first name and surname are retained.
    Just be sure to post in your original long form birth cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hey all im flying out on the 11th of october, 25 working days away if i apply for my passport this week would i be guaranteed to get it??

baraca wrote: »
    Hey all im flying out on the 11th of october, 25 working days away if i apply for my passport this week would i be guaranteed to get it??

At the moment turnaround for Passport Express stands at appx 12/13 working days.
    But please take into account that the working days start from the day your application is received in the Passport Office, so the day after you post it with Passport Express (payment done at Post Office, otherwise it is Ordinary Post which takes 6 to 8 weeks)!

Guarantee depends on if the form is completed correctly and the necessary and correct documentation is submitted.

What you could do is also submit a copy of your tickets (e-ticket is fine also), so the person looking at your application knows you are travelling soon, so if any problems arise they can contact you by phone and make arrangements.

Hi All,

Just an update regarding my experience of cutting it extremely fine with my passport application:

23/08 - submitted with passport express
    24/08 - "registered" by passport office and visible on the online tracker

I emailed them through the from on the website telling them that I was travelling to the US on Monday 12/09 - no response or acknowledgement yet received for this

05/09 - spent all day trying to get through to the number on the website - never even got into the queue on the phone, just a message saying they couldn't accept my call at this time - status on the website still at "received" after almost two weeks

06/09 (this morning) - I went to the passport office at 9am with proof of my flights, while I was in the queue I kept dialling their phone number. While actually sitting in the office waiting I mananged to get through - I was on hold for roughly 15 mins - I gave my ref number and explained the situation to the person on the phone. She told me she'd give the application priority status, as it was still waiting to be checked (bearing in mind it was supposed to be issued today anyway after 10 working days). She said, all going ok with my application, it would be ready to collect at the passport office tomorrow afternoon.

I've just checked the tracker on the website - AND - ta-daaaah! - message says the passport has been printed. :D

IN SUMMARY:

The delay seems to be still there i.e. 10 working days plus 4-5 additional days (at least).
    It's worth either going to the office or, if you have the time, trying on the phone - I'd recommend you start ringing immediately when the line opens at 9am.

GET YOUR APPLICATIONS IN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! :)

baraca wrote: »

see my reply above, but you should be fine - send the application by Passport Express as soon as possible (today if you can!) and keep an eye on the online tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

A quick one. We've a new born who needs a new passport, and my wife's is up for renewal. Does anyone know if we can submit both applications together (obviously paying two fees) (given that my wife's passport obviously would be sent in with the newborn's?).

So first my passport would be ready for collection, then the website said it had been posted, then it wasn't actually posted but was ready for collection, and finally then it wasnt ready for collection at all despite them confirming it was...... oh dear :(

NB I am staying firmly away from making any comments about staff, etc. but what I would say is confirm everything twice (at least), that's if you can get through on the phone. And be prepared for a number of trips back to the office.

Also from what I saw and heard, there still seems to be a backlog and anyone applying through embassies abroad, etc. seems to be waiting quite a while to get documents issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

moco wrote: »
    You have to be resident in Ireland to have your application processed there..they wil not post a passport from Ireland to the UK for you.

When you say resident in ireland what do you mean?

I am irish - currently living on the uk.
    Need a new passport asap as my old one is damaged.

Am travelling back to dublin next week.
    I will be providing proof of address but it will be a uk address.

Are you saying i cannot have my application processed in dublin even though i will be there for a few days (hoping for the express service)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement