Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

zxcvbnm1 wrote: »
    When you say resident in ireland what do you mean?

I am irish - currently living on the uk.
    Need a new passport asap as my old one is damaged.

Am travelling back to dublin next week.
    I will be providing proof of address but it will be a uk address.

Are you saying i cannot have my application processed in dublin even though i will be there for a few days (hoping for the express service)

Yes you must make the applicaiton in your country of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

Yes you must make the applicaiton in your country of residence.

Are you certain of this?
    Because if you are then this changes all my plans.

It doesn't make sense to me.
    if i was to go through the london embassy I believe all they do is send it to the dublin office anyway who in turn post it back to london.

So what would be the difference in me turning up in person in dublin myself instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Are you certain of this?
    Because if you are then this changes all my plans.

It doesn't make sense to me.
    if i was to go through the london embassy I believe all they do is send it to the dublin office anyway who in turn post it back to london.

So what would be the difference in me turning up in person in dublin myself instead?

Counter applications are only taken from persons living on the island of Ireland, they can't take in applications with foreign addresses or witnesses.

Counter applications are only taken from persons living on the island of Ireland, they can't take in applications with foreign addresses or witnesses.

This is a disaster !

Unless i use my address from my parents house where i have received post so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Correct. Use your parents address and have the local Garda witness your form. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

pepperds wrote: »
    A quick one. We've a new born who needs a new passport, and my wife's is up for renewal. Does anyone know if we can submit both applications together (obviously paying two fees) (given that my wife's passport obviously would be sent in with the newborn's?).

Yes, you can submit up to four applications in a Passport Express envelope.
    In your case it's handy as your wife's passport will also serve to claim citizenship for your newborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Hi all,

I have flights to the USA booked for Oct 6th. Just realised my passport expires on Feb 12th 2012. So will have to express post a passport renewal form tomorrow from my post office.

Will I have it in time? - 18 working days from monday I make it - I am starting to panic a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Did passport express last month for my mother and passport was printed on 12th working day after they recieved it.
    So not a bad turnaround time really for the summer months

Thanks - hopefully I will be looking at the same turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

yew_tree wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have flights to the USA booked for Oct 6th. Just realised my passport expires on Feb 12th 2012. So will have to express post a passport renewal form tomorrow from my post office.

Will I have it in time? - 18 working days from monday I make it - I am starting to panic a bit.

You do not need to renew your passport at all, it's perfectly fine, Irish citizens can travel to the US up until the date their passport expires, yours doesn't expire until February so you're good. As long as you return before Feb12th 2012

Validity of Irish/EU Passports

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

• Advertisement

mark17j wrote: »
    You do not need to renew your passport at all, it's perfectly fine, Irish citizens can travel to the US up until the date their passport expires, yours doesn't expire until February so you're good. As long as you return before Feb12th 2012

Validity of Irish/EU Passports

In most cases, to enter the United States, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, the United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/consular/validity-of-irish/eu-passports.html

Thanks for that, I did not know that. The only thing I am worried about is my passport iis quiet tatty and worn. I wonder would it cause me problems? Could I apply for a new one and if it doesent arrive go on my current passport?
    I must ring the passport office today and find out anyway. Thank alot for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

yew_tree wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I did not know that. The only thing I am worried about is my passport iis quiet tatty and worn. I wonder would it cause me problems? Could I apply for a new one and if it doesent arrive go on my current passport?
    I must ring the passport office today and find out anyway. Thank alot for the help.

Get your application into the Post Office over the weekend. Make sure you submit all the correct documents and that your photos meet the biometric requirements. Be sure and keep the application number when you send it off. If all is in order you will have your passport back the week commencing 26 Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I just got my passport form signed by a guard (and I signed it also in his presence).

Only problem is he gave me a blue pen (did not realise the colour until I signed!!) so my signature is in blue and everything he filled in is blue.

Does anyone know if this will cause a problem? I am very worried about it and I don't think writing over my signature in black is a good idea :(

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Is it a myth that if you lose 3 passports you won't be granted another or is there some truth in that? I've already lost 2 and am reluctant to get another after hearing this from a few people. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Is it a myth that if you lose 3 passports you won't be granted another or is there some truth in that? I've already lost 2 and am reluctant to get another after hearing this from a few people. Cheers.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261
    "If you have a poor passport record, ie have lost two or more passports, it is likely that only very limited passport facilities will be given for specific travel purposes. On each occasion on which a passport is issued, even when this is a limited validity passport, the full passport fee will be payable."

kingtut wrote: »
    I just got my passport form signed by a guard (and I signed it also in his presence).

Only problem is he gave me a blue pen (did not realise the colour until I signed!!) so my signature is in blue and everything he filled in is blue.

Does anyone know if this will cause a problem? I am very worried about it and I don't think writing over my signature in black is a good idea :(

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about it, as long as you do not write over your signature!!!
    It has to do with the scanners; blue is a more difficult color to scan into black than black itself, therefore black is preferred.
    There are ways to darken the signature if it comes out too faint, but as these are time consuming black is preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mini-E

Quick question;

My passport is just gone out of date (about 2 weeks now)

Today I find out I have to go to prague on business, wednesday week (14th of sept).

If i go to the dublin passport office with my details (signed photos by garda, passport form, and old passport + fee's) will I get my passport in time?

Im in mayo, so its a full days trip to the dublin office, so dont want to make the trip up only to find out il still not get it in time?

Just need some assurance before i go booking flights/making plans to go to dublin,

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mini-E wrote: »
    Quick question;

Today I find out I have to go to prague on business, wednesday week (14th of sept).

If i go to the dublin passport office with my details (signed photos by garda, passport form, and old passport + fee's) will I get my passport in time?

Im in mayo, so its a full days trip to the dublin office, so dont want to make the trip up only to find out il still not get it in time?

Just need some assurance before i go booking flights/making plans to go to dublin,

Thanks in advance

Is the 14th not this wednesday? The quickest you will get a passport is 3 working days. For that service you must have proof of travel, also for less than 10 working days the passport will only be issued for the day before you travel.

I am in the uk. If I go to the embassy how long does it take to get one of those temporary valid passports ( I am going on holidays in 2 days time and my passport has been destroyed by the wash)

Also how long does a temporary passport remain valid for? Just one trip or what?

Mini-E wrote: »
    Quick question;

Thanks in advance

You would need to show your travel arrangements with your application/photo's/passport when applying for your passport at the counter, and the passport office will do all they can to get you a passport before you travel; within reason!
    A passport on the same day does not happen anymore, unless in véry extreme circumstances (life or death situations basically, to the discretion of the senior passport officer).
    Basically: the more time you can give the passport office, the more guarantee you will get you will have your passport in time.

It is a catch 22 situation really: if you do not have proof of travel, the passport office will not fast-track your passport. If you do have proof of travel, the passport office will try and get you your passport before you travel, but cannot guarantee it. (In the majority of the cases they are able to do it, but not if they only have one day! They would need a minimum of 3 working days.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

A Question:

I needed to renew my sons passport and had gotten all the forms filled out by his Dad, Guards etc etc.

However I mislaid them before I sent them away, I have now come across them,

Thay are dated July 2010, do I need to refill them all out or will it be ok to send?

His Dad and I are not on very good terms so that is the only thing stopping me from immediately getting new ones filled out?

*Please note I am blonde and I am usually this scatter brained unfortunately :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

PinkFly wrote: »
    A Question:

I needed to renew my sons passport and had gotten all the forms filled out by his Dad, Guards etc etc.

However I mislaid them before I sent them away, I have now come across them,

Thay are dated July 2010, do I need to refill them all out or will it be ok to send?

His Dad and I are not on very good terms so that is the only thing stopping me from immediately getting new ones filled out?

*Please note I am blonde and I am usually this scatter brained unfortunately :D:D

The forms are out of date, forms and photos can be no more than 6 months old! You'll have to get it done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I am in the uk. If I go to the embassy how long does it take to get one of those temporary valid passports ( I am going on holidays in 2 days time and my passport has been destroyed by the wash)

Also how long does a temporary passport remain valid for? Just one trip or what?

You've left it very late now. They will usually only do it if there is an extreme emergency like a death in the family, and they would ring a hospital etc. to get this confirmed. A holiday isn't counted as an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

moco wrote: »
    The forms are out of date, forms and photos can be no more than 6 months old! You'll have to get it done again.

Thans very much for your help!! hopefully this time I'll be less careless :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

question time,

my boyf (irish citizen) has full custody and joint gurdianship of his son (english born). the joint guardianship is with the mother who lives in england.

His name is not on the birth cert. we are wondering how do we sort out a passport for the little man to bring him on holidays. can he get an affidaviat signed by a solicitor and apply for an irish passport even though his name is not on the birthcert

the mother will not sign any forms or has nothing to do with the child, or is our only route to go through the court.

question time,

my boyf (irish citizen) has full custody and joint gurdianship of his son (english born). the joint guardianship is with the mother who lives in england.

His name is not on the birth cert. we are wondering how do we sort out a passport for the little man to bring him on holidays. can he get an affidaviat signed by a solicitor and apply for an irish passport even though his name is not on the birthcert

the mother will not sign any forms or has nothing to do with the child, or is our only route to go through the court.

What year was the child born? Has he been given joint guardianship or full guardianship through a uk court order. If the court has not dispensed with her guardianship then he will need her consent or a Court order dispensing with her consent. An affadavit is to swear that there is no other guardian so would not suffice. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

mmcn90 wrote: »
    What year was the child born? Has he been given joint guardianship or full guardianship through a uk court order. If the court has not dispensed with her guardianship then he will need her consent or a Court order dispensing with her consent. An affadavit is to swear that there is no other guardian so would not suffice. Hope this helps

the child is ten and he was given custody and joint guardianship of the boy in ireland 3 years ago this was done through the courts in ireland as she the mother would not sign any documents she was back in england and had no contact i had heard you can go back throught the family courts and apply that way for a passport cheers for the info about dispensing with her consent i'l follow that lead and see where we go with it:D

the child is ten and he was given custody and joint guardianship of the boy in ireland 3 years ago this was done through the courts in ireland as she the mother would not sign any documents she was back in england and had no contact i had heard you can go back throught the family courts and apply that way for a passport cheers for the info about dispensing with her consent i'l follow that lead and see where we go with it:D

If theres no contact, try to get a court order from your local district court. If you're in Dublin the family law court is in Essex Street. If your in a hurry try to get the judge to dispense with the normal 14 day stay for appeal, as the application will not be processsed until this has lapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Quick questions....

I received an emergency passport back in May of this year (I had to travel all the way to Ballbriggin office to collect it, it was paid for through passport express, so I couldnt get one made in the Dublin office, they said!)

Now, I sent it off in the post back to them in June, so I would receive my proper 10 year passport in return. But I havn't heard from then since!!! No sign that they received anything, or any phone calls.

The emergency passport expired in November, so I was asked to get it back to them straight away, and I would receive my proper one in 14 or so days....

The only thing I can think of is it was lost or mislaid in the post?!?

Now I have no passport, old or emergency!

I really dont want to apply and pay for a new one all over again, I don't think I should have to, and is there any responsibility on me because it got lost on the way?

I have emailed the passport office, got nothing. Tried ringing the Ballbriggin one, got nowhere!

Any advice ?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

bigbudda wrote: »
    Quick questions....

I received an emergency passport back in May of this year (I had to travel all the way to Ballbriggin office to collect it, it was paid for through passport express, so I couldnt get one made in the Dublin office, they said!)

Now, I sent it off in the post back to them in June, so I would receive my proper 10 year passport in return. But I havn't heard from then since!!! No sign that they received anything, or any phone calls.

The emergency passport expired in November, so I was asked to get it back to them straight away, and I would receive my proper one in 14 or so days....

The only thing I can think of is it was lost or mislaid in the post?!?

Now I have no passport, old or emergency!

I really dont want to apply and pay for a new one all over again, I don't think I should have to, and is there any responsibility on me because it got lost on the way?

I have emailed the passport office, got nothing. Tried ringing the Ballbriggin one, got nowhere!

Any advice ?

Thanks!

The Balbriggan office is not a public office, you should just ring the normal Passport Office number: 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888

How did you post your application in? If you have used Passport Express your passport should have been long back with you, so you must have posted it with Ordinary Post, which takes about 3 months at the moment due to the summertime (many people applying for passports), because Passport Express is getting priority.
    In that case your application will be sitting in the Passport Office until they get to it, without any way of tracing it, unless you have copied down the barcode reference number from the application. (An 11-digit number starting with 101). With the reference number the exact whereabouts of your application can be traced.

If you have posted your application in through an Embassy (as your profile states you are in Sydney) then the best thing to do is contact the Embassy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement