Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

I'm in Belgium for work for a few days, my wallet with my passport was pickpocketed at Ghent train station (I made a police report).
    I am due to travel back to Ireland early next week with Aerlingus from Zaventhem airport. My Mum contacted Aerlingus on my behalf and they said that as I travelled out with them, if I have the police report that my passport was stolen and a photocopy of the passport, I can travel.
    Has anyone else had this experience? I'm worried that aerlingus are saying this but passport security in Belgium won't agree and I won't be able to fly, also, what happens in Dublin when I'm supposed to show them my passport on re-entry?
    I really don't have the time (or the money since my wallet was stolen) to go to the Irish embassy in Brussels but I need to fly home. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you are unsure, why not ring the Irish Embassy in Brussels? 0032-2-282 3400 and discuss with them. They have dealt with this situation numerous times and can advise you. They can even contact immigration in Dublin on your behalf and make sure you'll be "sailing" back home...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

tatabubbly wrote: »
    They said as it was a provisional one that they wouldn't take it!

Passport express tracking said I should get it at latest on the day I'm flying so hopefully it'll be here before then!

Best to ring the Passport Office and let them know you are travelling, so they can make sure your passport will be with you that day, not leave it to chance! Tel. 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dicebar

Passport stolen in Ibiza, later found and handed into the Guardia Civil(similar to the police) after I had already left to go back to Madrid(after some problems with airline vueling flying to Madrid not having ID and just a police report).

So... trying to arrange for Madrid embassy to receive the passport so I can collect it(G.Civil will not send it to me directly). But! I am told that if they receive it they will destroy it! Just in case someone used it illegally etc.

Does this sound silly to anyone else? I would choose to take the risk than wait a month without ID and pay the 80€ for a new one, not to mention the paperwork... getting a witness in Spain to sign the documents is impossible, police will not go near the form here.
    Ridiculous

Thanks Malee and Kotek Besar for the advice, had good news today though, the police recovered my passport! Lost all the money in my wallet but got the rest back!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

dicebar wrote: »
    Passport stolen in Ibiza, later found and handed into the Guardia Civil(similar to the police) after I had already left to go back to Madrid(after some problems with airline vueling flying to Madrid not having ID and just a police report).

So... trying to arrange for Madrid embassy to receive the passport so I can collect it(G.Civil will not send it to me directly). But! I am told that if they receive it they will destroy it! Just in case someone used it illegally etc.

Does this sound silly to anyone else? I would choose to take the risk than wait a month without ID and pay the 80€ for a new one, not to mention the paperwork... getting a witness in Spain to sign the documents is impossible, police will not go near the form here.
    Ridiculous

The passport remains the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs at all times, if someone from his Department in an embassy tells you that the passport will be destoyed you have no choice but to follow their instuction and when you think abuot it ... it is your identity they are protecting by doing it and the integrity of the Irish passport system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Malee wrote: »
    Best to ring the Passport Office and let them know you are travelling, so they can make sure your passport will be with you that day, not leave it to chance! Tel. 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888

I've changed my flights now, to be safe.
    I must say, the tone of this forum is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

dicebar wrote: »

Ridiculous

The passport will be destroyed for security reasons, mainly because the passport was unaccounted for. Also, the passport number would have been reported to interpol, so if you attempted to travel on it, there is a good chance you would be arrested at a border crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

is it pointless to hope to get a passport in a day? cannot find mine for the life of me, and due to fly on friday?

mothoin wrote: »
    is it pointless to hope to get a passport in a day? cannot find mine for the life of me, and due to fly on friday?

Yes, three working days is the absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

is there anything i can do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

tatabubbly wrote: »
    I've changed my flights now, to be safe.
    I must say, the tone of this forum is awful

What exactly is your problem?

Posters voluntarily gave you good advice free of charge, and received no thanks from you.

Try redialling the Passpost Office all day if you don't like the service here.

mothoin wrote: »
    is there anything i can do?

Unless its a medical emergency or bereavement there isn't anything you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ITG

Sister can't find her passport. Flight is Tuesday 14:30. It's just a holiday not an emergency. She's going up in the morning to Passport Office, does she have any chance of getting emergency passport in time?

ITG wrote: »
    Sister can't find her passport. Flight is Tuesday 14:30. It's just a holiday not an emergency. She's going up in the morning to Passport Office, does she have any chance of getting emergency passport in time?

Probably not tbh, tuesday is the third working day (minimum) and then the likelyhood is it will come into molesworth street in the afternoon van (around 3pm). Also if she has another lost passport, in date, it will be 10 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ITG

Girl in passport office said to her that they may have it Tuesday morning. Would be pushing it I'd say.

Just realised she only needs to be in Heathrow for 8pm so anytime Tuesday would be fine for passport. Here's hoping.

Cheers for the swift reply.

ITG wrote: »
    Girl in passport office said to her that they may have it Tuesday morning. To be honest I can't see it myself. If she had even realised a day earlier she may have been OK.

Cheers for the swift reply.

Sure keep your fingers crossed, she may have a bit of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 liam198

Hey just wondering if i can fly to england without a passport? I have a driving licence but dunno if that will do.... I can't see anything on the airplane websites. They used to let you but don't know if they will anymore. If not looks like i'll have to take the boat:mad:

liam198 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if i can fly to england without a passport? I have a driving licence but dunno if that will do.... I can't see anything on the airplane websites. They used to let you but don't know if they will anymore. If not looks like i'll have to take the boat:mad:

Who are you flying with? If its Ryanair, you must have a passport. Aer Lingus and other airlines a driving licence will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 liam198

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Who are you flying with? If its Ryanair, you must have a passport. Aer Lingus and other airlines a driving licence will suffice.

Not to sure to be honest!! Haven't booked yet was trying to find out what story was first!! Wouldn't say it'll be Ryanair though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I filled in a passport form that I got in a Post Office in the North, because I work there. Filled it in etc, then tried to use the express service through the PO, but the man said that because I live in the South, I have to use form APS1E/G, rather than APS2EG.

Any idea why the difference? It's just a bit of a pain to have to get the photos certified again.

Tried to contact the Passport Office but they're not taking calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I filled in a passport form that I got in a Post Office in the North, because I work there. Filled it in etc, then tried to use the express service through the PO, but the man said that because I live in the South, I have to use form APS1E/G, rather than APS2EG.

Any idea why the difference? It's just a bit of a pain to have to get the photos certified again.

Tried to contact the Passport Office but they're not taking calls.

If you live in the 26 counties you need to just make sure your witness is a Garda. It doesn't matter if its done on an APS1 (which can only be witnessed by a Garda) or an APS2 (which has a list of other witnesses). If you got anybody other than a Garda as your witness you should recomplete it before submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

netopia wrote: »
    If you live in the 26 counties you need to just make sure your witness is a Garda. It doesn't matter if its done on an APS1 (which can only be witnessed by a Garda) or an APS2 (which has a list of other witnesses). If you got anybody other than a Garda as your witness you should recomplete it before submission.

Yeah ended up calling the Post Office and was told the same. I had already got a Doc in work to certify so I had to dump it and get a new form. Getting the Garda to sign it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

10 working days atm for passport renewals, got mine in the post today

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Okay guys,

Can someone please help me shed some light on what I need to do. I ordered a new passport with passport express at the end of August. I wasn't in a rush as had no holidays booked and was planning a staycation anyway. Two weeks passed, no passport. We went away in Ireland for a two week holiday. On our return, no passport

I checked the track and trace document and said it had arrived in our local sorting office on the 8th of September. I foolishly thought I would have to collect it.

Fast forward to today. I rang an post, asked if I can collect my passport today, they said it was delivered and the postman remembers knocking in to our neighbours and then us and then placed it in our external post box. This was all while we were away.

I've just contacted the passport office today and am waiting on customer service to contact me back. Does this mean, I now have to go through the expense, money I don't have, to reapply because of the fault of an post?

what would you do? Is there a way of getting my money back?

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Absolutely no fault of your own or the PPO, what an idiot postman but one question, did someone take the passport from the external postbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Yes, I'm afraid so. The worry is someone has taken it as they could have reached in. The only thing is there was other post delivered during the week and no issues surrounding that, so I can't say for definite it was delivered or taken. Passport office came back to me and told me that it lies at the fault of the post office and they should pay for it. I hope they don't pass it back to me telling me that it was my fault to have a sealed exterior box or something like that!!

It is their fault as they should have stuck it in the letter box as it has to be signed for if done through passport express.

Unfortunately for you it looks like a long road. You will have to re-apply through the PPO and get a statement of lost/stolen from the Gardai.

if there were birth certs or anything else like that you will have to contact CSO. The PPO won't take responsibility because it had nothing to do with them.

Get onto the post office and sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 petethefez

@AGC - if the delivery point is the external post box, then that is where the postman would leave it. How is he an idiot?

And passport express deliveries do not require a signature - have a look at the barcode sticker on a passport envelope if you get a chance - it will say "No sig req"

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Example of the sticker on the back of a passport envelope:

• Advertisement

@Petthefez

Apologies, I was always under the impression they had to be signed for!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement